Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

So, in case anybody was wondering, the time attack challenges are not to the time, inclusive.

2:00.0/2:00.0 :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anyone know how gear is chosen to show up in the shop? I'm curious if it's semi-random (I tend to get most of a set at the same time so not fully random) or set for everything. Yesterday while playing I suddenly unlocked 5 balls and nothing else where I'd previously had none. Still waiting for pants, though.

Also, is there any option to change what my Mii's cheerleaders wear in the par/birdie/etc scenes, aside from editing the Mii's favorite color itself? It would be neat if I could put them in the costumes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

So, in case anybody was wondering, the time attack challenges are not to the time, inclusive.

2:00.0/2:00.0 :downsgun:

I had one for a Shy Guy costume that was going great until I got stuck behind a rock. Wound up hitting the last hole 1 tenth of a second over.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bruceski posted:

I had one for a Shy Guy costume that was going great until I got stuck behind a rock. Wound up hitting the last hole 1 tenth of a second over.

After failing a second time, I think it just says max time/max time regardless of what you finished in, at least for the challenge I was in.

I watched that timer and I think I should have been under though. :mad: I think it was just the game telling me not to use Boo or to aim at fast fairways on a time challenge.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

a clogged toilet posted:

Start some tournaments that ban miis and star characters if that bothers you, that Waluigi tournament is a good example.

My bad, I don't think I've seen them banned in other tournaments yet so I figured it would be ok. I'll probably turn star characters off if I make anymore though

ryan_woody posted:

This game is great. I just picked it up today, and instead of studying for finals I've sunk about 6 hours into it.

One thing annoys me so far, though: In the goon tournaments, there's one entrant who has ridiculous scores. He is like -18 on one of them. His drives go about twice as far as mine, and I have no idea why.

It's probably a star character but keep in mind there's also the bullet bill item which hits the ball ridiculously far. You can get to the green in one on a lot of par 4 holes with it, and it makes eagles on par 5's pretty easy too

Sapoapo
Nov 6, 2011
Wait so can I only play the Mario themed holes doing the coin challenge? Please say it ain't so.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I got my first Hole in One last night against some random dude in a Versus match, in what must have been the best golf game of my entire life. I felt pretty bad about it. I wanted to be like, sorry guy, I'm not really that good, I don't know what is happening here. :(

Felt pretty badass, though. :ninja:

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I got my first and second HIO's doing the one-on one-putt challenge to unlock the Sky Course. That thing was a nightmare at first and took me a shitload of tries but I finally managed to beat it and now I feel like I'm a hell of a lot better at putting, especially with slopes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I looked up the requirements for unlocking the remaining characters and they are so stupid. You have to beat like 45 challenges to unlock the first guy. I just want to play online with all the characters, Nintendo, why do you have to force me to play your single player all day?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

bonzibuddy64 posted:

what about birdo :(

I didn't know she was in the game as playable!!! I haven't unlocked any new characters yet because I'm super bad at golf

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
If the game has a tutorial about which part of the ball I hit, I missed it. I have figured out hitting the right side makes the ball's trajectory curve right. I can't quite tell what's happening when I hit the ball at the top or bottom.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

TenaciousJ posted:

If the game has a tutorial about which part of the ball I hit, I missed it. I have figured out hitting the right side makes the ball's trajectory curve right. I can't quite tell what's happening when I hit the ball at the top or bottom.

I haven't been able to figure that out either. In theory it should alter the arc but I haven't seen much difference.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
Hitting the bottom of the ball makes it go higher - it'll travel further before landing and not roll as much. Hitting the top does the opposite.

It's useful for getting around mid-air obstacles, hitting low to get over far away hazards, and changing how much time the ball is airborne to make more (or less) use out of favourable (or unfavourable) wind.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Made a tournament because why not.

02-0315-1958-2861 - Koopa Golf - Mountain Course, 18 holes, shuffled hole order. Bowser, Bowser Jr., Kamek and Paratroopa only. Weird Miis dressing like turtles need not apply. Active for the next 24 hours.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Made a tournament because why not.

02-0315-1958-2861 - Koopa Golf - Mountain Course, 18 holes, shuffled hole order. Bowser, Bowser Jr., Kamek and Paratroopa only. Weird Miis dressing like turtles need not apply. Active for the next 24 hours.

I like this and am excited to get home and be a turtle.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Got the game last Friday. Unlocked all the courses (including the one-on, one-putt course), got Luigi, Bowser, Waluigi, and Boo as star characters, unlocked Toad and Kamek, and bought the Season Pass DLC so that I could get Gold Mario and Toadette.

Also got a Luigi costume which made me happy.

Castle Club may not be an RPG mode, but it's worth it since the character representing me can hit fades now. Super bummed that I couldn't choose whether to hit Draw or Fade with the characters I picked for the GBC and GBA Mario Golf games.

I've also participated in some of the tournaments. I appear to be good enough for silver for most of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I did the first goon tournament and finished like -5, was super bummed because everybody else was like -10 to -15, figured I sucked. Checked the standings now that its over though, and I finished 4th; everybody who entered since got like 0 to -5... so I'm not so terrible! :shobon:

Oh drat though, I tried that Bowser tournament and got my rear end kicked. Those courses are hard! I like the challenge though, and wow; Nintendo really went all out designing those holes. Every one had some cool element that was a reference to like Super Mario World Bowser stages or something.

I'm gonna try the DK tournament and the Koopa only tournament when I get home.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Castle Club may not be an RPG mode, but it's worth it since the character representing me can hit fades now. Super bummed that I couldn't choose whether to hit Draw or Fade with the characters I picked for the GBC and GBA Mario Golf games.

It is still an RPG mode though, coins = xp, then you buy clothes which upgrade your stats.

However, I really liked that I could pick draw for my Mii... but then literally every club I've unlocked, like 5 of them, changes my shot type back to straight. What the gently caress is the point of that? Its cool there are a few clubs for changing it up, but literally every one sets it back to straight except the lovely starting clubs. Why even ask me?

Am I just getting really bad luck? Are there good clubs that have draw? Or do you have to pick between draw and using any of the clubs for more distance / stats??

Bruceski posted:

Anyone know how gear is chosen to show up in the shop? I'm curious if it's semi-random (I tend to get most of a set at the same time so not fully random) or set for everything. Yesterday while playing I suddenly unlocked 5 balls and nothing else where I'd previously had none. Still waiting for pants, though.

Also, is there any option to change what my Mii's cheerleaders wear in the par/birdie/etc scenes, aside from editing the Mii's favorite color itself? It would be neat if I could put them in the costumes.

It must be pretty drat random, I haven't gotten any golf balls yet. Tons of Clubs and pants and shoes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 6, 2014

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Is the only way to progress in Castle Club by beating the championship tournament and getting first place in each course consecutively? I keep loving up ONE HOLE in the entire championship and falling to second place, and it's next to impossible to recover because the AI will always be one step ahead of you. I'm getting tired of grinding out the forest course over and over and having no other play options for progressing

EDIT: played a perfect game on forest championship, got hosed by one shot and of course got knocked to second place on the final hole. Lost again.

pissdude fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 6, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Callick posted:

Is the only way to progress in Castle Club by beating the championship tournament and getting first place in each course consecutively? I keep loving up ONE HOLE in the entire championship and falling to second place, and it's next to impossible to recover because the AI will always be one step ahead of you. I'm getting tired of grinding out the forest course over and over and having no other play options for progressing

Yeah you have to get first in the championship to move on which kinda sucks.

Although "progressing" in that mode only gets you the 4 serious courses anyways.

If you want something else to do, leave Castle Club and go do the star coin challenges; that's how you unlock the 6 "Mario world" courses.

Also championships are stroke play, not match, right? So it shouldn't matter who wins the hole, its just about finishing with a good enough score. No you don't have to get first on every hole.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

However, I really liked that I could pick draw for my Mii... but then literally every club I've unlocked, like 5 of them, changes my shot type back to straight. What the gently caress is the point of that? Its cool there are a few clubs for changing it up, but literally every one sets it back to straight except the lovely starting clubs. Why even ask me?

Am I just getting really bad luck? Are there good clubs that have draw? Or do you have to pick between draw and using any of the clubs for more distance / stats??
Seems like there are accuracy clubs that straighten your swing and have +sweet spot/+control, and power clubs that lengthen your drive but make your draw more severe. I'm at the point where I need to have two different sets of gear because the draw is too bad on my main set to do things like the Sky Island challenge.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zaphod42 posted:

It is still an RPG mode though, coins = xp, then you buy clothes which upgrade your stats.

I don't know. I did find a club (besides my starting club) that hit fades, and maybe there's some other things that influences it as well. I do know that if I pick a club designed for draw golfers, I lose drive. So if you hit draws, stay away from clubs that hit fades.

^^^^ Or that.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Got Star Waluigi, time to stunt on people with the power of WAAAAAAA

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

deadwing posted:

Got Star Waluigi, time to stunt on people with the power of WAAAAAAA

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

"Nice touch". This announcer is stone cold.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

More speed golf cause that was surprisingly fun: 41-6955-4256-2351, Mountain Course, 6 holes this time

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

a clogged toilet posted:

Seems like there are accuracy clubs that straighten your swing and have +sweet spot/+control, and power clubs that lengthen your drive but make your draw more severe. I'm at the point where I need to have two different sets of gear because the draw is too bad on my main set to do things like the Sky Island challenge.

You can actually cycle through your current Mii getup and your favorites by hitting R on the character select screen, which is great for just that.

Also, here's the most fake thing ever:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Game owns bones, will join ya'll tonight when I'm home from work.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

You can actually cycle through your current Mii getup and your favorites by hitting R on the character select screen, which is great for just that.

Also, here's the most fake thing ever:

I mean I guess it could be possible? I don't know if there are any Par 5s that could be done in two strokes but it wouldn't surprise me with items and stage hazards like the bobombs on bowser's castle.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
If that's just his Birdie dance, what the crap is his Eagle/HiO?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Unless it's a Spanish copy or something I'm pretty sure Albatross has two s's.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I mean I guess it could be possible? I don't know if there are any Par 5s that could be done in two strokes but it wouldn't surprise me with items and stage hazards like the bobombs on bowser's castle.

An albatross is definitely possible with the bullet bill or maybe the boomerang too on certain courses. In fact it seems like most star characters can reach the green in two without items on a lot of par 5 holes, so all it would really take is a lucky chip-in

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Croccers posted:

If that's just his Birdie dance, what the crap is his Eagle/HiO?

Art.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

And people wonder why he's a favorite for Smash Bros.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Albatrosses are recorded in Toad's Booth under records so obviously they're possible.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think there have been any Sky Island tournaments yet so here's some annoying windy par 3 action

wind waker hd - 45-4879-9868-5079 No items, front 9, strong wind

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think there have been any Sky Island tournaments yet so here's some annoying windy par 3 action

This tournament was pretty fun, first time I even played Sky Island too :)

Oddly enough Sky Island with wind everywhere is not as hard as goddamn Yoshi Lake for me

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

Woof! Just got rocked by Sky Island. Time to go practice some more.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

PantsBandit posted:

It's one thing pulling one off, it's a whole different story getting one with Gold Mario.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

It's one thing pulling one off, it's a whole different story getting one with Gold Mario.

Ah yeah forgot he can't use items. That would in fact be pretty drat difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just picked this up, can't wait to destroy you peons in tournaments.

• Locked thread