Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Random_Username posted:

Oh yeah? Well you should check with a therapist before you drown someone! Or...become a floral arranger?

I drowned a plant once. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

I drowned a plant once. :(

"It's not very effective"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Counter-point: Snivy.

Ocher
Oct 7, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Raichu owns

To be fair, Raichu tends to be poo poo if you evolve it at say Level 7, like our intrepid hero did, since it gets moves mainly from leveling as a Pikachu and then evolving (A bit of theme with Stone evolutions), and the TMs went to Persian.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Galick posted:

Lickitung.

Look at this dippy mother fucker.

He will crush anything you want him to. He's got Wrap, he has Body Slam for paralyzing the poor things in front of it, and he can learn a ton of poo poo from TMs. Ice Beam and Blizzard? Done. Toxic? Easy. Surf, Fire Blast, Earthquake, loving Fissure? He has you covered. He can fill any spot on your team with a great set of moves, and he's a badass mother fucker.

Don't just give the Elite Four a kicking.

Give them a licking.

You've convinced me. One more vote for Lickitung!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So are stone evolutions in Pokemon like promoting in a Fire Emblem game where you wait till you're max level (well, it was 20 in Fire Emblem, i don't think you want to wait till 100 for a Raichu) before doing it? What's a good time to do it then?

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty sure he's going with a Ditto now.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So are stone evolutions in Pokemon like promoting in a Fire Emblem game where you wait till you're max level (well, it was 20 in Fire Emblem, i don't think you want to wait till 100 for a Raichu) before doing it? What's a good time to do it then?

Once it's learned all the moves you want it to have. There's absolutely no difference in stats no matter when you evolve, the only difference comes from the natural move learnset of the Pokémon.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can do it whenever you want, but most stone evolutions (except the Eevee ones) don't learn any more moves after evolving, so you usually evolve them when they learned all the moves you want them to have that you can't just teach them with a TM.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Once it's learned all the moves you want it to have. There's absolutely no difference in stats no matter when you evolve, the only difference comes from the natural move learnset of the Pokémon.

I thought the time you evolve it, it started gaining new stats based on its new evolution, but stopped learning new moves, so you'd want to do it ASAP after learning the moves you deem absolutely vital for the Pokémon.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Pokémon stats don't work that way. Although the game displays stat changes on level up as plus-something, it's actually just running a formula involving base stats, level, IVs, EVs, and in later games Nature and displays the difference of the previous compared to the new. So upon evolution, stats get recalculated according to the new Pokémon's base stats.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats#Formula

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

quote:

I thought the time you evolve it, it started gaining new stats based on its new evolution, but stopped learning new moves, so you'd want to do it ASAP after learning the moves you deem absolutely vital for the Pokémon.

Ha, that reminds me of all the misinformation that went around my school when Red and Blue first came out. That was something we all thought for a while, that if you evolved a pokemon sooner it would get higher stats. Then there were rumors about how using rare candy would only give you half the stat increase per level. I remember there was one kid who swore that if you used all the PP in a Pokemon's four moves it would cause higher stat gain during the next level. That was a fun time, we had this new thing called the internet and everyday there was some crazy new rumor floating around.

I've always wondered why Red and Blue had such an abundance of poison, and why they made almost every grass type a duel poison type, even though grass is weak to poison. That annoyed me when I was a kid. Poison was pretty much the worst type, and I couldn't figure out why there was so much of it in the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

TheFattestPat posted:

Then there were rumors about how using rare candy would only give you half the stat increase per level.

Interestingly enough, there is actually a kernel of truth behind that, thanks to how you acquire Effort Values.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Red and Blue were downright incredible because there were thousands of rumours and terrible pieces of misinformation going around, but sometimes the unbelievable thing your friend just told you turned out to be actually true. I mean, once you catch Kangashkan on the Seafoam Islands shore and produce 156 Rare Candies in your inventory, you will check under that truck for Mew. The best part is that there is indeed a functional Mew-catching exploit, but it was only discovered later, I think.

The same thing happened in Gold and Silver with the very easy to do pokémon-cloning trick. You'd hear a hundred unbelievable rumours and go and try them out, because you never know.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

TheFattestPat posted:

Ha, that reminds me of all the misinformation that went around my school when Red and Blue first came out.

gently caress. YOU. I've known for years that this advice was complete bullshit, but I still can't not do it. I held Up/Down + B for every bloody Pokemon I caught in this LP. For absolutely no reason.

On that note though, I've finished recording! All I have to do now is edit a ton of footage. :toot:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mr DJB posted:

On that note though, I've finished recording! All I have to do now is edit a ton of footage. :toot:

Cool. I'm really enjoying this LP. I find it very relaxing for some reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hahah I remember holding/tapping B (there was some debate about which was better). :allears: I would hold left on the d-pad as well. Everyone knows that helps keep them in the ball! I still do it sometimes.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Mr DJB posted:

gently caress. YOU. I've known for years that this advice was complete bullshit, but I still can't not do it. I held Up/Down + B for every bloody Pokemon I caught in this LP. For absolutely no reason.

Huh, I'd always heard that you just press B really fast. Likewise, I know now that it's bullshit but I still can't not do it.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Hammurabi posted:

Huh, I'd always heard that you just press B really fast. Likewise, I know now that it's bullshit but I still can't not do it.

Oh yeah, this thread (and the associated 2007 thread videos) inspired me to dig out my GBA with FireRed and replay it and I mash B like a motherfucker when I capture pokemons even though I know it does diddly poo poo

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
It's weird how many of the old school Pokemon rumors have some reflection in reality. For instance, there being an actual glitch to catch Mew (though no one knew the real method at the time). Likewise, button inputs during the catching animation can affect the RNG, but you aren't likely to consistently improve your chances outside of tool assistance. Of course you never know, you might get lucky - better keep wearing out that B button!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hammurabi posted:

I never played Pokemon and even I know it's all about the button mashing.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Pokémon stats don't work that way. Although the game displays stat changes on level up as plus-something, it's actually just running a formula involving base stats, level, IVs, EVs, and in later games Nature and displays the difference of the previous compared to the new. So upon evolution, stats get recalculated according to the new Pokémon's base stats.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats#Formula

Wow. I've had more or less every version of Pokemon since the original Red and I NEVER knew that. So, just to clarify, you could literally stop a pokemon from evolving all the way until level 100, then let it evolve, and it would have the same stats that it would've had otherwise?

A Riachu evolved at level 1 would be the same Raichu if it were evolved at level 100? Your Charizard would be just as good if you kept it as a Charmeleon until level 100?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Simply? Yes.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Well 99, because they only evolve upon leveling up, and being level 100 disables that. Only stone evolutions and trade evolutions can evolve after being 100.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

CatsPajamas posted:

It's weird how many of the old school Pokemon rumors have some reflection in reality. For instance, there being an actual glitch to catch Mew

Ever since the Mew glitch was discovered I always catch at least one to serve as my HM Slave.

Loving this LP. An awesome twist on an otherwise tired game. I was actually looking through the LP archive a while back looking at Gen 1 LPs but couldn't get into any.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CatsPajamas posted:

It's weird how many of the old school Pokemon rumors have some reflection in reality. For instance, there being an actual glitch to catch Mew (though no one knew the real method at the time). Likewise, button inputs during the catching animation can affect the RNG, but you aren't likely to consistently improve your chances outside of tool assistance. Of course you never know, you might get lucky - better keep wearing out that B button!

By that same logic you can hurt your chances of capture if you mash B.

So it goes both ways.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
I think you should pick Slowbro as your 6th party member. I mean, Water/Psychic, amiright?

Mr DJB posted:

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?

Mr DJB posted:

So Alakazam was definitely found in the wild someplace else then? I'd hate to think Sven's sacrifice was for nothing.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

TheFattestPat posted:

I've always wondered why Red and Blue had such an abundance of poison, and why they made almost every grass type a duel poison type, even though grass is weak to poison. That annoyed me when I was a kid. Poison was pretty much the worst type, and I couldn't figure out why there was so much of it in the game.

There are a few ideas going around at to why this is so. The most popular one is that Kanto is a pretty filthy region. By Gold and Silver it pretty much an environmental disaster.

Another one a few people have proposed is that Poison-type was also thematically the Dark-type before the Dark-type existed. You could kinda see it with a few Pokemon, like Golbat and Gengar, and that it was the villain team's most prominent type.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 28, 2014

Ferret Glow
Jan 25, 2010

SuperTaunt is the best thing in video games.
If you know about the hex values for Pokemon, and this has since been confirmed by people at Game Freak but the original plan was to have 180 Pokemon.
Several of the scrapped pokemon that never made it into the game are dark types. Houndoom, and Sneasel among them.

So the idea that they replaced dark with poison due to gameboy cart limitations makes sense. 15 types and an extra slot for "none" = 16 which would make sense as a binary limit, adding another type would require an extra bit of data for every pokemon in the game.

I am just speculating but I have heard that alot of things didn't make it into red/blue due to size limitations at the time, for instance, there was planned to be a female character choice like in every other game.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure you can catch Onix's in Rock Cave. Unless you did elsewhere and I missed it?

I always thought they were the coolest.

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?

Hammer Floyd posted:

Pretty sure you can catch Onix's in Rock Cave. Unless you did elsewhere and I missed it?

I always thought they were the coolest.

Maybe it's like Zubat, where in the original they can be found in Mt. Moon but DJB didn't get one until Rock Tunnel. If the romhacker buffed Onix, I can see it being left until Victory Road.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Sharing in the Rhydon love! I know it's 4x weak to water, but drat do I love it. I have one in my current run of Pokémon X and I like to think it's an homage to your Mom in that one. :allears:

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Who needs Rhydon when you have Mr. Mime?

POKERMAN 151 - PART 9

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't think you realise what your reckless evolution has led to.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

That loving Sned posted:

I don't think you realise what your reckless evolution has led to.

Yeah, but now he can learn Hyper Beam, Pay Day, Submission, Counter, Seismic Toss, Earthquake, Fissure, Fire Blast, and Rock Slide! Why would you even want to attack things with your horn when you could do any of those instead?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It should be noted that you can actually predict a critical hit in Gen V and VI, if you're using Storm Throw or Frost Breath, both of which have 100% crit chance.

About Dig, it actually has a base power of 100 in Gen I, not 90. It was nerfed to just 60 in Gen II, then raised to 80 in Gen IV.

Also I can only imagine how horrendous Sabrina will be here considering she's the hardest Gym Leader (hell, the hardest trainer period) in the original game.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

It should be noted that you can actually predict a critical hit in Gen V and VI, if you're using Storm Throw or Frost Breath, both of which have 100% crit chance.

This came up on YouTube:

"I wouldn't have counted storm throw or frost breath since it only had a base power of 40 in Gen V, making it an ice beam that ignores defenses but often misses and can't freeze. Then I checked Bulbapedia. Buffed to 60 in Gen VI. God drat that's strong!"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It might have been discussed before, but random chance in Gen 1 is calculated so poorly that even attacks that are supposed to have 100% accuracy can miss.

Say that a move has the maximum accuracy of 255 (since it's hexadecimal, it goes from 0-255). The game would generate a random number between 0 and 255, see if it's less than the move's accuracy, and that would determine whether it would hit or not. It should actually be checking to see if it's less than or equal to it, since it would be possible for it to generate 255, see that it isn't less than the move's accuracy of 255, which would make it miss.

TASVideos is a good resource for exploits and glitches in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Blaze Dragon posted:

About Dig, it actually has a base power of 100 in Gen I, not 90. It was nerfed to just 60 in Gen II, then raised to 80 in Gen IV.

Also I can only imagine how horrendous Sabrina will be here considering she's the hardest Gym Leader (hell, the hardest trainer period) in the original game.

One wonders why they didn't save the Psychic Gym for last, considering how overpowered psychic types are in Gen I.

• Locked thread