Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

its kinda refreshing honestly to play as a unrepentant rear end in a top hat instead of a good guy who just happens to cap cops and random civilians every now an then

GTA 5 did that and it wasn't all that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gobblecoque posted:

these kind of retards pop up whenever some new game that's clearly going to be trash comes out. i remember that before dragon age 2 came out they had a separate prerelease thread that was isolated from criticism of the game for the handful of babies who thought it was actually going to not suck

i'm really angry and aggressive about my decision to buy ill-reviewed consumer products

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

nah he's not really like trevor, you don't set people on fire or piss in their beds or whatever, you're just a dickhead

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Oh did I say it was white male as gently caress? What I actually meant is that it doesn't have as many dynamic shadows per scene as I'd prefer and that's why this game is bullshit

Now That's Problematic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

i'm disappointed your can't trade your ballcap for a fedora and scarf for a guy fawkes mask. modders, get to it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

al-azad posted:

i'm disappointed your can't trade your ballcap for a fedora and scarf for a guy fawkes mask. modders, get to it

theres a fedora but it was a preorder bonus, you missed out dumbass

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

01011001 posted:

its just like real life, some people are more boring than others. some people have "music listener" as their most interesting thing and other people gently caress blood

Dec 26, 2012

lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ahh ooh eee jam screen in the year 2014 bleeeech

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

just hacked the heck out of that highway

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE6OnFKxdi4

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1iixTMejA

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
verdict

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Putty posted:

verdict

Watch some vids if it looks cool get it if you don't see anything in the videos that looks interesting just don't bother or wait until it's 10 bucks by the end of the year. If you're wondering if there might be something "else" to it(like a lot of people assumed I guess based on how angry they are about the hype) there is not, it is a regular open world game with good points and bad points and you can hit a button to make poo poo go a bit sideways

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Watch Dogs' narrative stumbles are bad enough, but it ventures into even more troublesome territory with some of its representation. Female characters in Watch Dogs are victims, to be kidnapped or murdered in the interest of plot or character motivation and are almost all overtly sexualized. Black characters fall into two camps — the aforementioned victims, or, just as maddeningly, criminals. The city of Chicago has an incredibly complicated, difficult history with race, discrimination and segregation. This is a difficult subject to explore in any kind of entertainment. But Watch Dogs' portrayal of Chicago's racial divide seems potentially tone-deaf.

Meanwhile, the Profiler's "flavor text," dynamic descriptions assigned to the randomly created NPCs that fill Watch Dogs' Chicago, frequently seem to be lowest-common denominator attempts at humor. When I saw "transgender" and similar attributes presented as throwaway personality quirks, I wasn't laughing.
seemingly every AAA game these days have "problematic" elements and i want them to stop

not because i give a poo poo about social justice in games, mind you, but because i want people to stop crying tears of care about them

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

al-azad posted:

i'm disappointed your can't trade your ballcap for a fedora and scarf for a neckbeard. modders, get to it

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Vice City did as well and it was pretty good.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Convicted Blood Fucker

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

zen death robot posted:

It was supposed to be a holiday blockbuster AAA game that got delayed for "polish" and released during the summer release drought instead. The game still has retarded bugs like this:

Gonna go with "get this on a crazy cheap sale for laughs"

you can never trust robots

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

zen death robot posted:

It was supposed to be a holiday blockbuster AAA game that got delayed for "polish" and released during the summer release drought instead. The game still has retarded bugs like this:

Gonna go with "get this on a crazy cheap sale for laughs"
why does every single "you're taking damage" effect in AAA auto-regen shooters look the exact same

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Y-Hat posted:

why does every single "you're taking damage" effect in AAA auto-regen shooters look the exact same

It's too much work to make a mangled body that loses parts gradually.

I mean with next gen technology it would be a lot of fun to have every character modeled and rigged to the point where everyone had teeny tiny videogame bones and organs that flew out of their bodies when they were hit and exploded, but it's too much work.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's too much work to make a mangled body that loses parts gradually.

I mean with next gen technology it would be a lot of fun to have every character modeled and rigged to the point where everyone had teeny tiny videogame bones and organs that flew out of their bodies when they were hit and exploded, but it's too much work.

x-men wolverine oranges did this and it was pretty cool because a near death wolverine had his beating heart and organs dangling from his ripped torso. then you regenerated and your lungs would come back and flesh would grow over the bloody bare muscle it was pretty tight.

3rd birthday as well but replace teeny tiny video game bones with ripped clothes

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Not sure if poo poo or gently caress.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I was going to buy watch dogs but I walked into gamestop and saw a fat mom and her equally as fat son purchase the Big Box Collector's Edition and decided against it.

But they had Sonic Riders 1 and 2 and it only was 4 dollars for the set so I wound up buying that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I also find it really hard to believe that Unisoft funded this piece of poo poo and it's still taking eons to make Beyond Good and Evil 2 which was already a mostly open world game with little details and was actually fun to play.

Not only that but it had interesting characters instead of Hacker Douche Guy.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XTUOY4waqA

hacking this city?

trying to, ha ha

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

The Taint Reaper posted:

I also find it really hard to believe that Unisoft funded this piece of poo poo and it's still taking eons to make Beyond Good and Evil 2 which was already a mostly open world game with little details and was actually fun to play.

Not only that but it had interesting characters instead of Hacker Douche Guy.

chilli con carne

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Putty posted:

chilli con carne

gently caress that game in the bum bum.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Y-Hat posted:

as long as red jelly is an effective way to display damage, probably only true in tiny health pool/auto regen games, it's actually a great thing if every single developer of those games chooses to use it. it's a very simple communication for the player to read, and the more people that use it, the clearer and more effective that communication is. if you're an experienced player, the red jelly just tells you that this game has small health pools and health regeneration. it obviously isn't appropriate for many types of games(it would be dogshit in Doom) but imo using something else here would have been a mistake unless they totally changed the health system.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If getting hit gives you red jelly, the death screen should say "You're Toast".

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

but I walked into gamestop .
gently caress that poo poo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime is great! posted:

gently caress that poo poo

I enjoy going into stores and shopping.

Granted Gamestop I just tolerate because they're the only game in town, but they occasionally have good deals and interesting finds.

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

that's okay, i go to gross old hobby stores for nes and snes games and man I swear ... how you can run a business like it's your own nasty bedroom wtf?

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

anyway, somebody give me a good reason not to waste $60 bucks on this ubisoft game. oh wait, I just did for my delf

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

as long as red jelly is an effective way to display damage, probably only true in tiny health pool/auto regen games, it's actually a great thing if every single developer of those games chooses to use it. it's a very simple communication for the player to read, and the more people that use it, the clearer and more effective that communication is. if you're an experienced player, the red jelly just tells you that this game has small health pools and health regeneration. it obviously isn't appropriate for many types of games(it would be dogshit in Doom) but imo using something else here would have been a mistake unless they totally changed the health system.

we could just have a bar or percentage indicator in a corner of the screen that goes decreases as you take damage, but gently caress that let's smear the screen full of jelly, make your vision turn red, and let's get some heartbeat sounds too. we gotta make sure we assault all of the gamer's senses, otherwise how would they know they're dying :iiam:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Watch Dogs is the game for millenials who's greatest accomplishment in life that they brag about is never owning a television (because they watch all their TV shows online).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Taint Reaper posted:

Watch Dogs is the game for millenials who's greatest accomplishment in life that they brag about is never owning a television (because they watch all their TV shows online).

what

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Clearly Jurassic Park: Trespasser had the best system for monitoring your health

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This is what watch dogs is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Taint Reaper posted:

If getting hit gives you red jelly, the death screen should say "You're Toast".

A really good post and I give it a solid nod.

• Locked thread