Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm unironically excited for the World All Stars of soccer players who aren't good enough to play for their home countries. Especially Brad Davis. We're going to power through to the Cup with sheer raw something-or-other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Going to watch the gently caress out of us losing all 3 games.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hot news from camp

quote:

@SoccerByIves

If training is an indication #USMNT starting XI : Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Bradley, Jones, Zusi, Dempsey, Bedoya; Altidore

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

manchego posted:

Going to watch the gently caress out of us losing all 3 games.
Yeah last World Cup I was stuck at work for all of the USA games. This time around I nearly took the entirety of June/July off to watch everything.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Real Name Grover posted:

Hot news from camp

I wish they'd shoot Beasley and Altidore into the sun right now, and spare us the grief; wtf is wrong with Klinsmann's brain. And hiring that idiot loser from '94 as an assistant ffs.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

I wish they'd shoot Beasley and Altidore into the sun right now, and spare us the grief; wtf is wrong with Klinsmann's brain. And hiring that idiot loser from '94 as an assistant ffs.

It really is too bad Klinsmann didn't take two other actual right backs and had to put F. Johnson there instead.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Cityinthesea posted:

It really is too bad Klinsmann didn't take two other actual right backs and had to put F. Johnson there instead.

Such as? Fabian finished the season at RB for Hoffenheim. Evans and Parkhurst don't play RB for their respective clubs, and I think most of us would rather have Cameron at CB.

Hell, we haven't had a right back since Cherundolo anyway.

If anyone is going to be tasked with trying to deal with Ronaldo, I'd prefer it be Johnson.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 27, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
yeah but then we have to put Beasley on the field, and no one wants that.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyhfaxD1G6o

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

DaMarcus Beasley, pride of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Have people stopped complaining that Landon "the only soccer player I know" Donovan was kept off the team?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

the posted:

Have people stopped complaining that Landon "the only soccer player I know" Donovan was kept off the team?

Have they? Gimme some Grantland posts, Bigsoccer too, I bet they haven't

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
So Landon Donovan is not going to the World Cup. We’ve had a night to reflect. Does it make sense yet?

No. Yes.

No, because he’s Landon Donovan. Yes, because he’s Jurgen Klinsmann.

Klinsmann had always seemed to regard Donovan’s much-publicized sabbatical from the game with barely tolerant bemusement. The player himself may have believed he was back in the fold, after a typically Donovanesque Gold Cup, and his return to the team during late-stage World Cup qualifiers, but Klinsmann always maintained an equivocal cool. It was as if he were mulling over when, and how, to use the entire Donovan episode as a teachable moment.

He chose the eve of the World Cup.

In retrospect, the writing was on the wall when Donovan did not start against Mexico last month. Then there were the subsequent, gentle rebukes that the player and coach seemed to be engaging in about the forward’s training habits. For Klinsmann, Donovan hadn’t demonstrated sharpness before the Mexico game. For Donovan, managing his body between games was now a key priority at this stage of his career, and he could point to showing the sharpness when it mattered.

At the time, it seemed the main consequence of the episode was to finally foreground the possibility of what a USA team might look like with Donovan as an impact player off the bench. That scenario still seemed to include a long international twilight, allowing for a stage-managed departure well after this World Cup.

Instead Klinsmann kicked open the trapdoor and went with the type of adventurous, youthful squad that he has been expected to deliver, ever since he took over all areas of U.S. Soccer technical development in 2011.

It’s the type of squad that had German critics frothing with indignation when Klinsmann unveiled his 2006 team. It is youthful, to the point of being speculative (Julian Green and DeAndre Yedlin are the obvious examples, but that still presumptive first-choice center back pairing of Matt Besler and Omar Gonzalez seems equally emblematic).

It’s the type of squad that perhaps only a coach with Klinsmann’s extensive powers could name. He recently signed a contract extension to 2018, and is entrusted with structuring the technical development of the game in this country from the earliest youth level onward. All of the above players might expect to be mainstays of the national team by 2018 — and the prospect of that group traveling to Russia that year, with World Cup experience already under their belt, is an attractive one. And it’s the kind of luxury planning that only a coach who doesn’t live or die by the results of the next tournament might conceive of.

In the end, Donovan may have scored more World Cup goals than any other U.S. player, and beyond Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey, he may still be the best U.S. outfield player of his day, but when faced with the choice of building the best team for the next two months or laying the foundation for the next four years, Klinsmann has chosen the latter while making a sacrificial point about what he expects from them.

The irony is that, in doing so, even from his entrenched position of power, the U.S. coach has made himself something of a hostage to fortune — for better or worse, the success or failure of his 2014 team will inevitably be seen in the light of the Donovan decision. Far from dropping the player for good, Klinsmann may yet find he has inextricably linked himself with Donovan for the rest of his reign.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Absolutely. JK is the coach and he makes the final call.

Equally, this is a discussion board and us USMNT fans get to second-guess his ridiculous moves all day long.

If I believe that he brought Green into the team as a result of a side-deal if JG switched national teams, and not because he could help the '14 USMNT WC team more than JK feels LD can, I'd be super pissed off.

And THAT'S why I'm super pissed off.
CarlosE, Yesterday at 2:50 PM #279
mikeivan and superdave repped this.

It is pretty clear you are pissed! :cautious:
So you believe (without any evidence and the denial of all partys' involved)

1) That Green is on the roster because of a "side deal".
2) That JK does not think Green can be valuable in 2014, it is all about the future (2018?).
3) Green's clear value as a 1v1 attacker who can unbalance a defense is made up

Is Howard and MB90 a part of this conspiracy?

“On the field, he’s exciting. And he’s the X-factor,” veteran goalkeeper Tim Howard said of Green, the 18-year-old German-American winger from Bayern Munich. “And every team has an X-factor. You have to have it, it’s good. It’s a surprise. If we think we can use Julian in a moment and he can get a goal, then it’s all worth it.”

Added midfielder Michael Bradley: “He’s a talented kid. He’s a guy who, whether he’s tilted off to the left or tilted off to the right in attacking positions, he’s able to go at defenders and get shots off. It’s exciting to have a young guy like that in the team.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2...-praise-youngster-julian-green-usmnt-x-factor

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
London Donovan is a mediocre soccer player that didn't make the cut into a lovely soccer team.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm reposting this because it is quite literally the worst article I've ever read in my life.

quote:

The 2014 World Cup draw proved one thing: Fans of the U.S. Men's National Team are soft. After drawing into Group G with Germany, Portugal and Ghana, USMNT fan reactions ranged from simpering self-pity to virtuosic impersonations of Private Hudson's seminal GAME OVER, MAN cowardice in "Aliens." While Group G is indeed the infamously recurring Group Of Death, so is almost every other group. USMNT fans are basically bemoaning FIFA's failure to hand them a World Cup trophy. In doing so, they are only making a reality of their own soft-as-silk stereotype.

It's no secret next year's tournament will be a hellscape of frenzied, desperate despair soundtracked by the echoing death-howls of the vanquished and the lamentations of their now aimless supporters; certainly most any soccer fan could ascertain as much with a cursory glance at the groups. Of which, only Group E appears even vaguely easy and that's mostly due to all four teams -- France, Switzerland, Ecuador and Honduras -- being anywhere from mediocre to impressively inconsistent on a good day. As for the other groups, the suck is about the same for everyone. In stereotypically American fashion, American fans can't quite seem to grasp that.

Sure, Germany plays like a squadron of unfeeling cyborgs using soccer to formulate advanced theories on market efficiency. And yeah, Portugal has Cristiano Ronaldo, which is like having intermittent access to a "Win Game Now" button. On top of all that there is Ghana, comfortably resting upon a throne of shattered American dreams that they took as spoils after deadlighting the USMNT in the last two World Cups. Shocking as it may seem, the most prestigious soccer tournament in the world is loaded with teams that are good at soccer.

What seems to be forgotten is the USMNT is also, finally, good at soccer. This World Cup is the national team's first real chance to prove it is 100 percent not to be messed with and, in doing so, hand every soccer elitist snot an honorary degree in Haters Gonna Hate from U MAD. Make no mistake, the international soccer community does reflexively regard the American side as a joke and there's no blaming it. When a country vaingloriously advertises itself as the best in the world, but gets routinely curbstomped playing the world's game, well, the jokes write themselves. But again, that doesn't have to happen this time.

Under delightfully imperious head coach Jurgen Klinsmann, an American side perpetually known for its primitively scrappy style has been alchemized into an iteration of itself that can at long last play the beautiful game. Remember, every American team in recent memory has operated on the eternal Tim Howard posting a clean sheet long enough for the right ball to bounce the right way in the right game for a forever flailing attack. Now there is still the eternal Tim Howard being eternal, but there is also an effective, coherent attack that relies on previously unknown tactics such as "Short passes, idiot!" and "Hey, maybe don't aimlessly lob the ball and hope for the best?"

Beyond just tactics, the USMNT also has this wild crazy thing now called legitimate world-class players. A stacked midfield is anchored by the #BasedHolyTrinity of Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan, while both the front and back lines are athletic, composed and straight up brolic. Yes, the squad suffers from stretches of uninspired play and short-circuited tactics that one would expect of a team learning to play like a good team, but, for the first time in my life, I do not believe the soccer team of my adopted country will get hammered in the World Cup. There isn't a draw in the world that can change that. Yet, fans are still pretending not a single xenomorph of international soccer can possibly be defeated. Screw that.

Here's some known news: Klinsmann used to coach the German side and laid the foundation for their hyper-disciplined attacking style. Remember, there is no proof that says Klinsmann wasn't an American sleeper agent all along. As for Portugal, having one of the two best players alive is pretty rad, but this is the same side that needed a miraculous run of play from Ronaldo to qualify for the World Cup. Which leaves Ghana, the mighty juggernaut that beat the USMNT by one whole goal in both 2006 and 2010. I mean, you can throw in the towel now if you like, but it might just be a touch premature.

Besides, it's not like the U.S. was going to win this World Cup anyway -- we're good, but we are nowhere near that good. No, this one is about the USMNT dragging as many opposing sides as it can into a shared abyss and laughing maniacally as they struggle for a hopeless escape. We'll all get to see the USMNT eliminated from the World Cup for the umpteenth time, but at least there's hope they'll do it with style. I, for one, am anticipating a most glorious death.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I had forgotten all about my honourary degree in Haters Gonna Hate from U MAD.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
For those of y'all who think wearing the #10 shirt holds some prestige, never mind that JF Torres and Joe Corona wore it in last year's pre-Donovan World Cup qualifiers (and Corona saw the field for all of like 5 minutes one game), word is it will be donned by this guy for the next month:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
If there is one thing I love in this life its most likely food. If there are two things I love in this life it would have to be food and my family. But if we keep going at some point we are going to get to the pride of the United States of America. The reason that the world is envious of us and all the freedom and liberty that we shine upon this troubled earth.

The United States Mens National Team.

The Nats.

The red white and blue.

The stars and stripes.

A plucky band of underdogs that grew up on farms and honed their skills in the amber waves of grain and in the shadows of the factories that have made this country the bastion of strength and freedom that the world simultaneously loves and hates. We can't win. We don't have the money or the skills to field a team of drugged up superstars. But we have something nobody else has. We have freedom. We believe in are boys. And with that love and belief coursing through the pure blood of our brave players, they will find a way to glory. There can be no other result other than the World Cup trophy being hoisted above the heads of our brave, under dogged boys. We believe. And because we believe, we will win.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Suqit posted:

If there is one thing I love in this life its most likely food. If there are two things I love in this life it would have to be food and my family. But if we keep going at some point we are going to get to the pride of the United States of America. The reason that the world is envious of us and all the freedom and liberty that we shine upon this troubled earth.

The Nats.

The red white and blue.

The stars and stripes.

A plucky band of underdogs that grew up on farms and honed their skills in the amber waves of grain and in the shadows of the factories that have made this country the bastion of strength and freedom that the world simultaneously loves and hates. We can't win. We don't have the money or the skills to field a team of drugged up superstars. But we have something nobody else has. We have freedom. We believe in are boys. And with that love and belief coursing through the pure blood of our brave players, they will find a way to glory. There can be no other result other than the World Cup trophy being hoisted above the heads of our brave, under dogged boys. We believe. And because we believe, we will win.

U suck rear end

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Suqit posted:

The Nats.

The red white and blue.

The stars and stripes.

I wouldn't say plucky, they're pretty dopey.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Carrier posted:

U suck rear end

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.

Suqit posted:

The Nats.

The red white and blue.

The stars and stripes.

There is no Opta stat for intangibles like clutch, engine, heart and liberty.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Suqit is trolling because hes a mexican and loves yelling PUTOS at soccer matches.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

msj817 posted:

There is no Opta stat for intangibles like clutch, engine, heart and liberty.

Well said friend.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Suqit posted:

The Nats.

The red white and blue.

The stars and stripes.

I'd move those factories if I was you, can't be good to have them right next to crops.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

smelly cabin filter posted:

I'm pretty sure Suqit is trolling because hes a mexican and loves yelling PUTOS at soccer matches.

He's puto número uno for sure.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
beautiful freaking post man

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Suqit is a great Ameri-can.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Go Nats !

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
usmnt starts their defense of their group victory tonight at 10pm edt vs Azerbaijan. If any of you internationals want to see what a group winner looks like, tune in

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:911:

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Please put a trigger warning before posting any picture of Kyle Beckerman thanks

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
America is cool

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I agree he could have left sooner

Nonsense. As soon as Clint had a great season he decided he could do better and wanted to leave. It was only the season before that when he started holding down a regular place in our lineup, and before that he was playing as a winger typically third in line after Duff and Davies.

He left exactly the second that bigger clubs became remotely interested in him.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I have a bunch of friends who are livid about Donovan not being on the team.

Admittedly I haven't followed the sport much since last World Cup (although I've been getting into it lately) outside of my crappy MLS team, but it feels like the biggest reason for the outrage is 'But Donovan's old, he deserves another World Cup! It must be personal hatred!' and they seem to be seeking out any reason to take anything Klinsmann does as a personal attack on Donovan.

It's going to be a long World Cup if the US plays as well as they would have even with Donovan.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

fat greasy puto posted:

usmnt starts their defense of their group victory tonight at 10pm edt vs Azerbaijan. If any of you internationals want to see what a group winner looks like, tune in

gonna have to root for my home planet for this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

I have a bunch of friends who are livid about Donovan not being on the team.

Admittedly I haven't followed the sport much since last World Cup (although I've been getting into it lately) outside of my crappy MLS team, but it feels like the biggest reason for the outrage is 'But Donovan's old, he deserves another World Cup! It must be personal hatred!' and they seem to be seeking out any reason to take anything Klinsmann does as a personal attack on Donovan.

It's going to be a long World Cup if the US plays as well as they would have even with Donovan.

• Locked thread