Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mean Bean Machine posted:

We don't really have any decent offensive midfielders, really. Danny isn't called up and Meireles plays deeper, and when our only backup for that position is Rafa who's played like 20 mins for the national team it means we can't really do the false 9 thing.

Easy, just play Ronaldo there! :downs:

If Messi can do it, then surely he can too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I thought Portugal had some Brazilian striker start playing for them what happened to him

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Jose posted:

I thought Portugal had some Brazilian striker start playing for them what happened to him

Jose you idiot, its a different Ronaldo!!!!

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Jose posted:

Liedson did but he was already like 30 when he started playing for the national team and Paulo Bento never really saw him as an option. Honestly there are some really good Portuguese youngsters who just need a couple of years to develop and will be an option for the national team soon (Rafa, Carlos Mané, João Mário, André Gomes etc), but none of them are strikers so this problem won't end any time soon for Portugal. Éder, who's Postiga's backup for this WC, will be our starter for the next few years I think, unless Sporting B's Betinho or Benfica's Nélson Oliveira suddenly become a lot better.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 5, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder that Liedson's few minutes with a Portuguese shirt were nearly magical compared to Postiga's regular performances.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Where's the love for the big lumbering oaf who can't score from 5 yards out called Hugo Almeida?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's so good he can't cut it on the Turkish league and is about to be unemployed.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Could Portugal have had some claim on Diego Costa?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The Guardian has been doing some in-depth columns on each team, and here's Portugal's: Portugal's tactics, Profile: William Carvalho and info on the players..

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Could Portugal have had some claim on Diego Costa?

No? He played 2 years in Portugal.

Though I'm not sure why FIFA allowed Diego Costa to play for Spain, but Fernando can't for Portugal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

No? He played 2 years in Portugal.

Though I'm not sure why FIFA allowed Diego Costa to play for Spain, but Fernando can't for Portugal.

According to Wikipedia, you're not allowed to switch nationalities if, while still a single nationality player, you play for the U20 team. Fernando played for Brazil U20 while being only a Brazilian citizen, which rules him out from representing Portugal despite now having dual citizenship. Diego Costa, though, never played for the U20s even though he did play for Brazil's first team in friendlies.

FIFA rules are dumb, is basically what I'm saying.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

Camoes posted:

Was going to post this. I mean, how can he be the least lovely we have?

We spunked all our striker karma when we got Eusébio. Either that or the youth system in Portugal (i.e Sporting) only pops out Fancy Dan wingers and midfielders. Portugal's only hope is to rope in Brazilian strikers who realise they'll never get into the Brazil national team and hope they'll at least look like they give a poo poo during national games.

When Simão was still around I always wondered why they didn't stick him and Nani (or whoever) on the wings and Ronaldo as the lone striker. He couldn't have been worse than the comedy stylings of Postiga, Almeida et al.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Roy Gato III posted:

We spunked all our striker karma when we got Eusébio. Either that or the youth system in Portugal (i.e Sporting) only pops out Fancy Dan wingers and midfielders. Portugal's only hope is to rope in Brazilian strikers who realise they'll never get into the Brazil national team and hope they'll at least look like they give a poo poo during national games.

When Simão was still around I always wondered why they didn't stick him and Nani (or whoever) on the wings and Ronaldo as the lone striker. He couldn't have been worse than the comedy stylings of Postiga, Almeida et al.

Ronaldo as a striker has been tried, even with Simao. What happened was that we simply lost his quality in the wing without adding much at the center, where he barely got the ball and was marked by at least two persons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do the clubs just not care about producing their own strikers or what?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Jose posted:

Speaking generally, I think good strikers are just fairly rare and tend to develop out of natural talent rather than trained skill, at least more so than other positions.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Camoes posted:

Ronaldo as a striker has been tried, even with Simao. What happened was that we simply lost his quality in the wing without adding much at the center, where he barely got the ball and was marked by at least two persons.

Ronaldo as a striker is a manager folly. Ferguson tried it. Pellegrini tried it. Mourinho tried it. Scolari tried it. Queiroz tried it. Even Bento thought of it. The result is the same everytime. He's poo poo at it. Postiga useless person is better at it, that's how bad Ronaldo is at playing striker.

Jose posted:

Portuguese clubs just don't care about producing Portuguese players. They don't fetch the same price as an Argentine or Columbian does.

Except Sporting. But they are bankrupt.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sporting should take a few of the presumably huge amount of tricky wingers when they're young and make them player as strikers until one comes good

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Electronico6 posted:

Portuguese clubs just don't care about producing Portuguese players. They don't fetch the same price as an Argentine or Columbian does.

Except Sporting. But they are bankrupt.

This is the problem pretty much. 5 of Portugal's 11 were trained by Sporting: Rui Patrício, Miguel Veloso, João Moutinho, Nani and Ronaldo; 6 if William Carvalho plays instead of Meireles as some people presume might happen. That Sporting hasn't produced a quality striker is a matter of luck, or lack of it. In the last decade Porto and Benfica just quit on the Portuguese player, opting instead to bring hundreds of South Americans in hoping to strike gold, and honestly they have multiple times. But the fans aren't happy about it as they feel the clubs lose their identity, and it has forced the presidents of those clubs to recently start promising they'll try to focus on producing good Portuguese players, thus the insistence of players like André Almeida who normally would have already been sold to some smaller club.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The situation of strikers in Portugal is so bad, that before Bento picked his team, he was talking about how Ivan Cavaleiro, a winger, sometimes played as a striker in Benfica B and that was an option.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nelson Oliveira will be good, you'll see.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Portugal's team vs Mexico is Eduardo - Coentrão, Neto, B Alves, J. Pereira - André Almeida, M Veloso, J Moutinho - Nani, Éder, Vieirinha

A lot more subs than I expected. The match is at 1:30 AM.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Unfortunately I think we're hosed. Why no William?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also lol, Vieirinha.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
In watching Portugal-Mexico and if it wasnt for Eduardo, Portugal would be down by 2 or 3. Toothless going forward too, hopefully Ronald will be ready when it matters.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Seconds later Bruno Alves scores an incredible header. Really nice.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lol the most undeserved win.

That was a good goal but drat.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Tbf Portugal was clearly the better team in the first half. Mexico's backline looked shaky even without Ronaldo

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the match showed two things:

1) we're nothing without Ronaldo

2) Mexico are terrible

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

In watching Portugal-Mexico and if it wasnt for Eduardo, Portugal would be down by 2 or 3. Toothless going forward too, hopefully Ronald will be ready when it matters.

I turned it off after 25 minutes, boring. Ronaldo will wear a woman's girdle and mince around making agonized faces to let everyone know what a little hero he is being.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Two years ago this team was actually pretty good, even with a Ronaldo that showed up at half gas for the Euro.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Electronico6 posted:

Two years ago this team was actually pretty good, even with a Ronaldo that showed up at half gas for the Euro.

This team without Ronaldo has zero teeth outside of set pieces.

If Ronaldo isn't fit in time they need to parachute Mourinho in to give the team a crash course in bus parking or else they're going out in the group stages.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Bruno Alves must be our top scorer apart from Ronaldo.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Camoes posted:

Bruno Alves must be our top scorer apart from Ronaldo.

It's actually Helder Postiga.

I'm shocked too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just learned he's only 31. I assumed he was nearly 40 lol

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Looks like Ronaldo and Merieles were in training today. Still no Pepe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Apparently Portugal are going to rush Ronaldo back again Ireland, even with him they'll struggle against the like of Robbie Keane and Jonathan Walters.

Also it's shite that it's on at 1am on a work night

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Apparently Portugal are going to rush Ronaldo back again Ireland

Is it just me or does this sound like a really loving horrible idea

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Is it just me or does this sound like a really loving horrible idea

Putting the Irish in their place is the highest priority.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Brony Car posted:

Putting the Irish in their place is the highest priority.

well, it's our national day, so Ronaldo should play to honor those who came before him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

irlZaphod posted:

Also it's shite that it's on at 1am on a work night

Another reason why the US is fail and gay. Anyway Ronaldo will prob start and play for 45 mins, if they're putting him in for a friendly it's because they feel he's recovered, his injury never prevented him for playing really it was just niggling pain and discomfort, obviously it could get worse with this match but ultimately it's better if that happened now instead of midway through the match against Germany.

• Locked thread