Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I was reminded today that this year every taxpayer will receive a TAX RECEIPT!!!

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Refunds,-assessments-and-amendments/Tax-receipt/

Of course it would be fairer to also include information on how much tax was lost through negative gearing and excessive super benefits, but that's not going to rile up the masses about how they're lifting all these leaners. Wouldn't it have been nicer to do the same thing as Worldvision and give a thankyou note from a family who was able to eat that day?

To be fair if the ratio follows the sample shown in the link then it will at least show that the money spent on 'Unemployed' is tiny compared to 'Families' which includes family tax benefits that most of the people who bitch about this sort of thing already get. But more than likely that nuance will be lost and I will be resisting my desire to call a complaining client a nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Don't forget that if you manage to do your tax in the next few days, you'll get your return back in a week. Wait a month and you'll be waiting a month.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Just a reminder that every taxpayer this year will be complicit in the imprisonment and murder of asylum seekers

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Speaking of which, is there anyway to wrangle my previous payment summary off Umart Online, I fully expect them to never ever give it to me.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Speaking of which, is there anyway to wrangle my previous payment summary off Umart Online, I fully expect them to never ever give it to me.

They are required by law to provide you with a group certificate, either by post or email.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

Anidav posted:

Wait a few weeks and they lodge their payment summaries with the ATO like they're supposed to (meh) then it should pre-fil automatically.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not phenomenally against the idea of the Tax Receipt, provided it gives the whole truth. It's a really smart way to relate the country's funding back to the individual so that they can actually understand issues they aren't really willing/able to consider.

Of course it's all going to go to poo poo because the Libs will be using it to lie to everybody, but it's a nice idea.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
98% of your tax has gone to: Labor waste

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:(

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Stay away from games workshop. They told the managers to fire their staff and run the stores solo. Your in for a world of hurt going for that one

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Weird, I know the girl quoted in the Canberra Times article. She's drat capable and we'll likely lose her overseas in the next few months because other countries see climate science and research as a worthwhile endeavour.

But nah, according to Andrews she should stay here and work for free instead because

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Tirade posted:

But nah, according to Andrews she should stay here and work for free instead because

Benevolent oligarchs don't arise in a need vacuum.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Obviously you're not an Australian, faker.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Unaustralian Detected!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

andelazo posted:

Nice to see the Liberals attitudes to the disabled extends beyond just their statements in the media. I, for one, am glad we finally have a consistent political party in power.

Actually reading the article he did nothing wrong though?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Soag posted:

Just a reminder that every taxpayer this year will be complicit in the imprisonment and murder of asylum seekers

What about the ~110,000 Australians who have claim to have zero taxable income but somehow manage to own negatively geared properties?

I suppose they'd still be paying GST, but that's all allocated back to the states and not concentration camps, right?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Here is a friendly tax reminder that you can claim any HECS or HELP debt the year it was incurred instead of when you make a payment.

eg, you did two units at $2400 a pop in 13/14FY claim $4800 up front. Just don't claim it again when you make a payment, that is fraud you naughty person.

This is obviously only useful for those of you who are working and studying and your taxable income is above such a threshold where it would make a difference.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sorry wrong pic

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 1, 2014

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Tommofork posted:

Actually reading the article he did nothing wrong though?

Yeah, technically he broke no laws, but he parked in what should be a disabled spot, seems marked up as such (minus the sign, sure). The disabled parking symbol painted on the spot to his right is pretty clear, so either he has parked there and ignored the symbols (because he is a wanker), or he has realised there's nothing stopping him parking there (he is a wanker).

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Here is a friendly tax reminder that you can claim any HECS or HELP debt the year it was incurred instead of when you make a payment.

eg, you did two units at $2400 a pop in 13/14FY claim $4800 up front. Just don't claim it again when you make a payment, that is fraud you naughty person.

This is obviously only useful for those of you who are working and studying and your taxable income is above such a threshold where it would make a difference.

"You cannot claim contributions you, or the Australian Government, make under HECS-HELP or repayments you make under the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) or the Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS)."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-Return/2013/Tax-return/Deduction-questions-D1-D10/D4---Work-related-self-education-expenses/

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Yeah, looks like you can claim FEE-HELP (non-CSP) in the FY that the cost is incurred, but not HECS at all, and not FEE-HELP repayments.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0701-zssnn.html

So you have a boat full of people claiming to be Tamil asylum seekers coming to Australia. Do you:

a. Rescue them and take them for processing
b. Hand them over to the Sri Lankan navy who are part of the government that Tamils are fleeing from

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I can't seem to find a better source for this, but goddamn they're so loving out of touch it's hard not to let your blood boil. Answering the way she did to that uni student has to be the smuggest loving crony response I've ever heard.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...i-1226973549832

Apologies if it's been linked already, I checked all 4 pages of this thread.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shunkymonky posted:

"You cannot claim contributions you, or the Australian Government, make under HECS-HELP or repayments you make under the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) or the Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS)."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-Return/2013/Tax-return/Deduction-questions-D1-D10/D4---Work-related-self-education-expenses/

"If you take out a FEE-HELP or VET FEE-HELP loan to pay all or part of your tuition fees, and you meet the eligibility requirements for a deduction for self-education expenses, the whole tuition fee may be deductible."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Studying-and-student-debt/In-detail/HELP/OS-HELP,-FEE-HELP-and-VET-FEE-HELP---tax-deductibility/

That being said I think they've tightened it up. The old PDF of the page I had that used to cover it never mentions about supported by the Commonwealth, which I take to mean a commonwealth supported place. Not 100% on that though.

You can't claim your payments ever, just it being incurred.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Yeah, looks like you can claim FEE-HELP (non-CSP) in the FY that the cost is incurred, but not HECS at all, and not FEE-HELP repayments.

Or this. Yes.

Never HECS, just HELP and only incurring the debt. The CSP thing was never mentioned when I did it, they must have changed that.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Ragingsheep posted:

So you have a boat full of people claiming to be Tamil asylum seekers coming to Australia. Do you:

b. Hand them over to the Sri Lankan navy who are part of the government that Tamils are fleeing from

Years ago, when I read about the Ms St. Louis and think "How can people act in that way". I never thought I'd be living in a country that answered that question.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

This seems a bad idea since I hope to be making money above the bottom tax bracket after graduation.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Or this. Yes.

Never HECS, just HELP and only incurring the debt. The CSP thing was never mentioned when I did it, they must have changed that.

Ah, drat. I'll JUST be over the tax-free threshold and that little bit extra on the tax return would have been nice. I guess it's about time I actually start contributing in ways other than spending money.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gough Suppressant posted:

This seems a bad idea since I hope to be making money above the bottom tax bracket after graduation.

Capitalist scum.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Ragingsheep posted:

Came here to post this, what the gently caress. 150+ people who are probably in excess of that 49% chance to be tortured or murdered.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

CrazyTolradi posted:

Games Workshop in the city were hiring a while ago, not sure if they still are, might be worth checking out.

As a former employee, don't work for Games Workshop.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

"If you take out a FEE-HELP or VET FEE-HELP loan to pay all or part of your tuition fees, and you meet the eligibility requirements for a deduction for self-education expenses, the whole tuition fee may be deductible."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Studying-and-student-debt/In-detail/HELP/OS-HELP,-FEE-HELP-and-VET-FEE-HELP---tax-deductibility/

That being said I think they've tightened it up. The old PDF of the page I had that used to cover it never mentions about supported by the Commonwealth, which I take to mean a commonwealth supported place. Not 100% on that though.

You can't claim your payments ever, just it being incurred.

So if you pay the student contributions up front and the course is necessary for your current job's professional development, you can claim that amount as tax deductible work related self-education expense? Or am I reading something wrong?

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
s26-20 of the 1997 Act has always disallowed any deductions for HECS-HELP or whatever dumb acronyms they have had for CSP. If you were paying FEE-HELP then though yes sure it's deductible except for the loading fee they add. You probably also have to reduce the deductible amount by $250 before you claim it, dumb quirk of the system.

Or just claim it anyway and defraud this homicidal government.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ragingsheep posted:

I wonder if the Sri Lankan navy boats were the ones Australia gave them.

Also, as an Australian, I whole heartedly support mandatory euthanasia of Australians. JFC.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Shunkymonky posted:

s26-20 of the 1997 Act has always disallowed any deductions for HECS-HELP or whatever dumb acronyms they have had for CSP. If you were paying FEE-HELP then though yes sure it's deductible except for the loading fee they add. You probably also have to reduce the deductible amount by $250 before you claim it, dumb quirk of the system.

Or just claim it anyway and defraud this homicidal government.

Oh poo poo, I was on HECS back in the day doing comp sci subjects, working in IT, and claiming deductions. This was over 10 years ago though...

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can we start with specific suburbs like Armadale?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Captain Pissweak posted:

Came here to post this, what the gently caress. 150+ people who are probably in excess of that 49% chance to be tortured or murdered.

Now literally refouling asylum seekers. Why do I ever even think the words "at least it can't get any worse"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr Chips posted:

So if you pay the student contributions up front and the course is necessary for your current job's professional development, you can claim that amount as tax deductible work related self-education expense? Or am I reading something wrong?

No you claim it when you incur the HELP debt (not HECS) you can't claim the payments.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ragingsheep posted:

Burn this loving country to the goddamned ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh wait you mean claim if you're paying in full up front? I think you can do that, as long as it's not a CSP apparently.

• Locked thread