Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I vaguely remembered playing Echo Bazaar in like 2010 or so, and came back after reading about this to discover my character was still knocking about (albeit with stats in the 25ish range because I didn't play more than a few days). I'm bored enough to give it (Fallen London) another shot, and would be happy for some advice! In as Gabriel Syme

I basically don't remember how to play and I'm overwhelmed by a million story options at the moment. While I wait for my actions to recharge I'll go poke around Sunless Sea a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'll take a catte at some point. In game name is the same as here... once a krab always a krab.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I also started playing Fallen London, seems interesting so far. Feel free to add me, although I'm not entirely sure what the social aspects of the game are yet: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Dropbear

What's the best way to get rid of nightmares? Just ditching them to a contact?

I'll probably be getting Sunless Sea as well when it's finished or close to it - I hate playing games that don't have all of their content in yet.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I've been looking into trying Fallen London's patronage mechanics. I've sent out calling cards to a few people with Watchful less than 100. Every once in awhile, I get five Free Evenings. These can be spent to increase a protege's Watchful and my Making Waves.

MisterFuzzles posted:

For some actual Sunless Sea content, a friend found a quest/island where they got a really cool companion. I will spoiler it for those who want to stumble across it themselves. It was a Cavy (Guinea Pig) with conquistador helmet. I unfortunately can't locate the picture at the moment.

I was going to take a break until the next update, but now I'm going to try again until I find that little guy.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is this becoming a Fallen London thread, too? I'll share my profile, though I only started playing a few days ago:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cantorsdust

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Maybe we could do up an irc channel?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cantorsdust posted:

Is this becoming a Fallen London thread, too? I'll share my profile, though I only started playing a few days ago:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cantorsdust

It had better. This drat topic persuaded me to try it and now I can't stop loving with artists around Veilgarden and drinking make believe lovecraftian wine. :argh:

I guess eventually one of the artists will turn out to be Victorian Cthulhu or something and take umbrage at my snide taunts; freeing me from this interminable hell of coyly obtuse writing and ten minute wait periods.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Archonex posted:

It had better. This drat topic persuaded me to try it and now I can't stop loving with artists around Veilgarden and drinking make believe lovecraftian wine. :argh:

I guess eventually one of the artists will turn out to be Victorian Cthulhu or something and take umbrage at my snide taunts; freeing me from this interminable hell of coyly obtuse writing and ten minute wait periods.

10 minute wait times I spend trying to not die in ze zunless Zee... (I die a lot)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I posted my profile earlier. Feel free to send me nightmares or betray me while trailing a photographer or whatever. I'm up for anything.

Edit:
I have a cat in a box. I don't know what it's supposed to do but I can send it to someone.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I posted my profile earlier. Feel free to send me nightmares or betray me while trailing a photographer or whatever. I'm up for anything.

Edit:
I have a cat in a box. I don't know what it's supposed to do but I can send it to someone.

send it to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Atomikkrab

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm not really sure how to be social but I just dropped off a bunch of calling cards since that seemed like the polite thing to do.

In Fallen London, should you focus on just one of your attributes, or try to raise them all evenly? What attributes should I be focusing on in Sunless Sea?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Done,
I got a second one. Anyone else?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm not really sure how to be social but I just dropped off a bunch of calling cards since that seemed like the polite thing to do.

In Fallen London, should you focus on just one of your attributes, or try to raise them all evenly? What attributes should I be focusing on in Sunless Sea?

In Fallen London, you need to advance them all eventually, but don't rush it.

No idea about Sunless Sea. I've not managed to gain a single level yet. >>

And if anyone wants to add me: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ceysila

I'll probably pass out a bunch of calling cards myself when I have more turns, and am not hoarding them in hopes of earning more romantic notions on 5 turn cards.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

In Fallen London, should you focus on just one of your attributes, or try to raise them all evenly?

Your mid-game goal in Fallen London will be to become a Person of Some Importance, which requires 100 in every attribute (bonuses from gear count). Each of the training professions will help you get up to 70 though so that isn't as difficult as it might sound.

My profile: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sesquiculus

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anticheese

I, too, would like a cat and all the stuff that goes on with this game and interacting with others that I never have been exposed to until this point.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Moryrie posted:

In Fallen London, you need to advance them all eventually, but don't rush it.

No idea about Sunless Sea. I've not managed to gain a single level yet. >>

And if anyone wants to add me: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ceysila

I'll probably pass out a bunch of calling cards myself when I have more turns, and am not hoarding them in hopes of earning more romantic notions on 5 turn cards.

I just do whatever is interesting/I haven't tried before. I've got like 20 in the main one I use and over 10-15 in the rest.

Sunless sea you gain levels by talking to your officers when you have a spare secret.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

You'll eventually want to raise all of your stats, like the others have said. There's no 'wrong' way to do it, which is nice if you can get past the presentation and interface.

Early on, you'll have the opportunity to pick an Ambition. This is a middling-long storyline that mainly requires one of your primary stats to be at certain ranks to trigger the next step, or be feasible to continue. I found it easier to focus on building Watchful for the Ambition I chose, but eventually pursued the other stats when I got bored or ran out of content for that stat.

The whole zee/sea thing is... Dutch, originally, I think. I think it's half-explained in one of those randomized sidebars, but not precisely why the English would adopt the term themselves.

Regarding things that are safe to sell... that's tough, because sooner or later you're going to find a storylet that wants X of Y good, where X is probably a pretty fat stack. And, if you go into your inventory screen, you can convert a certain number of one item to another by clicking on the green-outlined icons. Generally though, if you can get it in decent-looking amounts from a location-based storylet (which are almost always easily repeatable) then it's safe to sell. Likewise, if something sells for more than four or five pennies a unit, it's probably valuable enough to save for some special story event.

When you've got low stats, the only available storylets are going to give you very little reward. A hundred-plus in a stat, city-based storylets will bring in around an echo's worth of loot per turn, on average. Don't worry about not being able to afford better digs or equipment that offers decent bonuses for a while.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anticheese posted:

I, too, would like a cat and all the stuff that goes on with this game and interacting with others that I never have been exposed to until this point.

Ok, sent you my other cat.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Done,
I got a second one. Anyone else?

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Blue~Raider

hit me up with that kitty

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

If I get a third, you're it. Unless someone else does. Make sure you're doing your opportunity cards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The thing with Fallen London is that the fun is more or less entirely reading all the text and figuring out all the crazy stuff going on. You don't really need to grind until late game, so just take it slow, read everything, go down all the questlines and options, don't worry too much about money or your stats, and start getting a grip on just how deep the weirdness goes.

For those that want it, I am Professor Cirno

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MisterFuzzles posted:

I have the Parabolan Panther, so if anyone wants a Parabolan Kitten in FL/Sunless Sea, just hit me up at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/MisterFuzzles

I'd like to claim a kit from an upcoming litter, if at all possible. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Bieeanda

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just as an FYI, cats in a box aren't quite the same thing as Parabolan Kittens.

But I'll keep sending them out!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks for all the advice, I'm enjoying the writing quite a bit so far. I'd also appreciate a kitten, if there are any to spare (Gabriel Syme). I've died about a dozen times so far in Sunless Sea as well, so I think I'm either doing something very wrong or very right.

I feel like my first goal should be to save up for the House + Will, to make my subsequent starts easier. I'm also having trouble finding anyone to trade with, most of the shops I come across just are Supplies/Fuel- but its possible I'm just not heading out far enough.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I started Fallen London a few days ago after loving Sunless Sea, and it's pretty clear it's made by the same people. I don't think it's a good game for the neurotic, though. It seems to want to be played without intention. Like, I romanced an artist's model and the relationship went sour. And things moved on normally. This game is like the anti-bioware -- all meat and no plot.

I must say that the concept of hell in this setting is really cool.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Blue Raider posted:

I started Fallen London a few days ago after loving Sunless Sea, and it's pretty clear it's made by the same people. I don't think it's a good game for the neurotic, though. It seems to want to be played without intention. Like, I romanced an artist's model and the relationship went sour. And things moved on normally. This game is like the anti-bioware -- all meat and no plot.

I must say that the concept of hell in this setting is really cool.

There's a lot of plot, but it really only kicks in once you break the 40~50 stat barrier and you progress in you ambition.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

There's a lot of plot, but it really only kicks in once you break the 40~50 stat barrier and you progress in you ambition.

Cool. I'm digging it so far, but the cooldown is a bummer. I think it'll be alright during the week when I can only play a bit a day.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Bieeardo posted:

I'd like to claim a kit from an upcoming litter, if at all possible. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Bieeanda

I will add you to the list. Its going to be another week and a half. My Time, The Healer is on Wednesday and this coming litter has already been claimed.

For anyone who has already asked me, if you get one elsewhere please tell me so I can hand out the kitten to the next one on the list.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
With FL, I think it's more that each quest line is sort of a mini-plot in of itself. Some of these come together under the umbrella of a large set piece (anything involving Hell, or the Parabola, or Correspondence, for example), but most are somewhat self contained. When the romance goes sour and breaks off, that's...it. The romance went sour. You both move on with your lives.

So each plotline is mostly a short story involving your character, while also chipping away at the greater mysteries of the Neath. Some stuff gets answered, some stuff gets veiled, hidden answers, and some stuff - at least as of now - remains a mystery (like what IS Hell and what does it want with all those souls?)

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I wish the city vices cards would stop coming up. I REALLY regret romancing the model and the artist now. They just won't leave me alone.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's a pretty great hint if you ever have a chance to murder a devil. Also, each of the ambitions touch on some major mysteries and the Nemesis one talks a bit about hell and hell's doings.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Getting in on the Fallen London rush. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/tbg A kitten would be pretty cool but I'd also settle for being less crazy.

I just hit Ambition: Nemesis 9 and I can't seem to see any way to progress it. Any tips?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Verr posted:

Getting in on the Fallen London rush. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/tbg A kitten would be pretty cool but I'd also settle for being less crazy.

I just hit Ambition: Nemesis 9 and I can't seem to see any way to progress it. Any tips?

I have that Ambition as well. There's bits to unlock in the Forgotten Quarter, and the Shuttered Palace if you haven't gone to those places yet. Sometimes cards will come up offering a day trip to more advanced areas, if you can't afford to get in yet. Right now I'm stuck at Shuttered Palace 4 because I need something I haven't bumped into yet.

Also note that the Ambitions are not actually finished yet.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MisterFuzzles posted:

I will add you to the list. Its going to be another week and a half. My Time, The Healer is on Wednesday and this coming litter has already been claimed.

Thank you! I can wait, and I really appreciate it.

Moryrie posted:

Also note that the Ambitions are not actually finished yet.

Aren't they? I recall eventually running my Nemesis to ground, and while I didn't kill them, that storyline definitely seemed to have reached an endpoint.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bieeardo posted:

Thank you! I can wait, and I really appreciate it.

Aren't they? I recall eventually running my Nemesis to ground, and while I didn't kill them, that storyline definitely seemed to have reached an endpoint.

This is a super spoiler for the Nemesis ambition don't mouse over this if you care at all The storyline stops with your Nemesis revealing that they were only a catspaw for a larger conspiracy that could reach all the way to the top of the power structure of fallen London. There will be more vengeance to wreck.

The other ambitions also end at suitably dramatic cliffhangers.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Moryrie posted:

I wish the city vices cards would stop coming up. I REALLY regret romancing the model and the artist now. They just won't leave me alone.

Sadly, the only solution so far was only available shortly after Christmas, so it might be some time until then.

Just delete the bad cards for now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know any lowish level ways to increase Connected-Hell?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ok, sent you my other cat.

You sent me a game of Pass the Cat! That's not a Parabolan Kitten at all!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anticheese posted:

You sent me a game of Pass the Cat! That's not a Parabolan Kitten at all!

You asked for a cat.

Anticheese posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I know one smartass who's getting a dead bat in a box next year! :haw:

• Locked thread