Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

namesake posted:

I prefer the laymans term for it; the straight line make-go-faster.

If you point the wrong end of the straight line make-go-faster at your head, you will not be fixing your fast bad cell happening today, or maybe ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I know that NHS staff don't generally get into technical names of the equipment that they're going to use on you, but a linear accelerator sounds so sci-fi and amazing that were I ever in a situation that I needed that treatment, I hope they would tell me.

Are you bombarded by a linear accelerator? That sounds even better.

Yep. A computer controlled linear accelerator, delivering conformal treatment planned with 3D CT/MRI fusion imaging. You might even have Stereotactic Conformal Radiotherapy or Intensity Modulated Stereotactic Radiotherapy in which case they make a vacuum formed mask/restraint to hold you in a precise position whilst the linac orbits around you. Stuff like CyberKnife is coming online too, which is robotically delivered and looks like something from the Enterprise's sickbay.

kingturnip posted:

As a healthcare professional, whenever I read in someone's notes that they (or their parents) have done research on their difficulties online, my heart sinks.
Because you just know that they've skipped over NHS Choices and gone straight for the US websites run by parents of indigo babies or some poo poo.

I know patients who turned themselves orange with betacarotene from "juicing" and ones that have travelled to Brazil to have coffee enemas, both to "treat" high grade gliomas.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

I prefer the laymans term for it; the straight line make-go-faster.

Layman's term? I thought this was the professional BBC Science Correspondent term. Research boffins have come up with a gizmo that converts :quote:particles:quote: into a new form of energy

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I know that NHS staff don't generally get into technical names of the equipment that they're going to use on you, but a linear accelerator sounds so sci-fi and amazing that were I ever in a situation that I needed that treatment, I hope they would tell me.

Are you bombarded by a linear accelerator? That sounds even better.

If someone told me I needed something with a name like 'Gammaknife' I'd get pretty drat worried, sounds like the 21st century equivalent of a medicine show. Yes you'll be undergoing surgery with the Cinco Gammatronix 5000 with Turbo-X, it's very impressive it has chrome and everything

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Layman's term? I thought this was the professional BBC Science Correspondent term. Research boffins have come up with a gizmo that converts :quote:particles:quote: into a new form of energy

If someone told me I needed something with a name like 'Gammaknife' I'd get pretty drat worried, sounds like the 21st century equivalent of a medicine show. Yes you'll be undergoing surgery with the Cinco Gammatronix 5000 with Turbo-X, it's very impressive it has chrome and everything

Does it go 'ping'?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

baka kaba posted:

If anyone offers you GammaKnife, ask for a second opinion at another big teaching hospital.

But if you want whizz bang medical gadgets they don't come much whizzier than Da Vinci Robotic surgery. They're doing prostate ops at some NHS hospitals with this kit now and I reckon the uses will only increase over time. Looks like one of the droids from the Jawa sand crawler scene in Star Wars.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

notaspy posted:

Does it go 'ping'?

Poketa Poketa Poketa Poketa

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HortonNash posted:

If anyone offers you GammaKnife, ask for a second opinion at another big teaching hospital.

But if you want whizz bang medical gadgets they don't come much whizzier than Da Vinci Robotic surgery. They're doing prostate ops at some NHS hospitals with this kit now and I reckon the uses will only increase over time. Looks like one of the droids from the Jawa sand crawler scene in Star Wars.

Just worked on something involving them and I'd say they make me as comfortable as the red Droid Luke chooses first.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

Much as I think South Yorkshire Police deserve all the mounds of poo poo piling on them on the moment, Saville was a wessie, so unless I'm mistaken he probably didn't fall under their remit.

Wasn't it West Yorkshire Police's job for that particular cover up? Gotta respect the proper jurisdiction.

You're right.

I am a mong.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

baka kaba posted:

If someone told me I needed something with a name like 'Gammaknife' I'd get pretty drat worried, sounds like the 21st century equivalent of a medicine show.

To me it sounds like the kind of knife that has the same strength as a normal knife but does D4 wounds per hit instead of 1.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HorseLord posted:

You heard it here first, thatcher made every boy in the 80s autistic.

I must have missed a passion for coding becoming the absolute defining trait of all 35-50 year old men in the UK. :shrug:

OTOH every bio I've read of bedroom coders has them beginning with games and tweaking the code of established products (admittedly these are often the bios of games developers). If you're just talking about treating coding as a simple mathematical or linguistic exercise then you're hardly going to engage the minds of an entire generation. There's only so much fun you could squeeze out of floor robots (or in my case at school, greenhouse controls).

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress it's ableist open season this month.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Barudak posted:

Just worked on something involving them and I'd say they make me as comfortable as the red Droid Luke chooses first.

That droid was fine. He deliberately pretended to be broken so that Artoo & Threepio wouldn't be split up.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HortonNash posted:

I put all my trust in Medibot.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

glitchkrieg posted:

To me it sounds like the kind of knife that has the same strength as a normal knife but does D4 wounds per hit instead of 1.

This. In addition there's too much potential for 'comedy' mishearing; "You're operating on me with a Gammon Knife?!" etc etc

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Kegluneq posted:

I must have missed a passion for coding becoming the absolute defining trait of all 35-50 year old men in the UK. :shrug:

OTOH every bio I've read of bedroom coders has them beginning with games and tweaking the code of established products (admittedly these are often the bios of games developers). If you're just talking about treating coding as a simple mathematical or linguistic exercise then you're hardly going to engage the minds of an entire generation. There's only so much fun you could squeeze out of floor robots (or in my case at school, greenhouse controls).

You claimed that:

quote:

If you were learning to code aged 10 for the sheer joy of coding alone, you're probably autistic.

That was really stupid, and you should probably stop trying to defend it because you're just making yourself look like more of an idiot. I don't even know what you're trying to argue any more. You think children are too dumb to program computers? Or they will only learn if they're allowed to make games (which you seem to assume will be banned in schools for some reason)?

Also, internet diagnosing people with mental illnesses is a lovely thing to do, especially if it's just because they have a hobby you can't or don't want to do.

glitchkrieg posted:

Surely a gamma knife should do 1D4 megadamage?

I seem to remember when one of my relatives had cancer he was offered a cyber-lance, but I think he went for another option in the end.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

To be fair, most of the foundations established in the Victorian people were rich exploiters of the working class feeling that they ought to at least give something back - usually because their name would be plastered on it so everyone would know how generous they were, but still.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

But just think of all his philanthropy to the arms industry! I assume they were the people that did the voting?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

But just think of all his philanthropy to the arms industry! I assume they were the people that did the voting?

GQ innit, the leaders in "wankers in suits" opinion pieces.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
I suppose it achieves something in illustrating how hilariously unworkable models of philanthropy actually are in changing anything for anyone.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
A PR move like this suggests Blair will be once again seeking to re-enter British public life. Presumably he's going to try again to stop Labour shifting to the left, especially since the general election is so close.

Which pretty strongly indicates he is insane given how prominent his failings in Iraq are at the minute. I wonder if he'll try to do what a couple of US neocons did and blame it all on people wanting to give up after a mere 11 years of quagmire it didn't work). It will be funny to see if he does that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They also gave Erwin Rommel an award for "style in the face of true adversity" in 1999, so it's not the first time they've heaped praise on war criminals.

e: vvv The economy has always been at war with Eastasia.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 3, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Good news, everybody!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4d794d48-3349-11e4-9607-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3CFUomXSR

quote:

Britain’s economy has been much stronger since 2008 than previously thought, the Office for National Statistics revealed on Wednesday as it tore up the previous official version of events.
With a shallower recession in 2008-09 and more rapid recovery since, Britain’s overall performance compares favourably with other G7 countries and eliminates a significant element of the recent concern over weak productivity.

The ONS is introducing once-in-a generation changes to the national accounts, which include the headline gross domestic product measure, later this month and is in the middle of drip-feeding the results of its work to improve the national accounts.
In Wednesday’s publication, the statistical office published revised real and nominal GDP for 2010 to 2012 and a historical series back to 1997. The revisions reflect a combination of changes the ONS was compelled to introduce to bring the UK’s national accounts into line with new international standards, new estimates of the contributions of the charitable sector, the sex industry and illegal drugs and the annual process of looking at all the information about more recent years and considering again the likely growth of the economy.
In each of the three years between 2010 and 2012, real GDP growth was revised higher, increasing the growth rate over these three years by more than 1 per cent.

e:

Guavanaut posted:

They also gave Erwin Rommel an award for "style in the face of true adversity" in 1999, so it's not the first time they've heaped praise on war criminals.
What are his crimes supposed to have been? Excessive competence? Not trying to assassinate Hitler earlier than he actually did?

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Erwin Rommel was one of the few senior German officers who didn't commit war crimes and was forced to commit suicide after being implicated in Claus von Stauffenberg's plot to assassinate Hitler. But, he was German in 1940 so I guess he was a Jew-hating fascist, right?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Er, why does including pot and hookers change the relative performance of the economy? It doesn't seem obvious from first principles. If the economy is 10% bigger when you add pot and hookers then it will have been 10% bigger every year, so the depth and duration of the recession won't change.

It's hard to tell from that piece, but if you selectively add pot and hookers to only the most recent years then of course things will look better, because you're pretending there were no hookers and no pot before 2010.

edit: unless the pot and hookers industries grow faster than the economy in general, which seems unlikely.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 3, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zephro posted:

Er, why does including pot and hookers change the relative performance of the economy? It doesn't seem obvious from first principles. If the economy is 10% bigger when you add pot and hookers then it will have been 10% bigger every year, so the depth and duration of the recession won't change.

It's hard to tell from that piece, but if you selectively add pot and hookers to only the most recent years then of course things will look better, because you're pretending there were no hookers and no pot ten or fifteen years ago.

edit: unless the pot and hookers industries grow faster than the economy in general, which seems unlikely.

Macroeconomic statistics being massaged? Well I never.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephro posted:

It's not just pot and hookers, although for obvious reasons those are the things the media picks up on. It's actually a whole raft of changes in national accounting practices to bring us into compliance with EU and global norms:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_375872.pdf

quote:

The main categories of improvements to be implemented in Blue Book 2014 are:
1. changes required under new international standards and guidelines: European System of Accounts 2010 (ESA 2010); Balance of Payments Manual 6 (BPM6)1 ; the updated Manual on Government Deficit and Debt (MGDD),
2. changes from ensuring comparability in measuring Gross National Income (GNI) across European Union (EU) countries, and
3. other changes to meet user needs, including implementing the Review of public sector finances (PSF) and alignment of National Accounts with PSF; improved methods for Inventories and Gross Fixed Capital Formation (GFCF); updating base year and reference year from 2010 to 2011; Producer Price Index (PPI) and Services Producer Price Index (SPPI) re-basing from 2005 to 2010.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Wolfsbane posted:

That was really stupid, and you should probably stop trying to defend it because you're just making yourself look like more of an idiot. I don't even know what you're trying to argue any more. You think children are too dumb to program computers? Or they will only learn if they're allowed to make games (which you seem to assume will be banned in schools for some reason)?
I didn't claim either of those things? Intelligence is one thing (and it's important to acknowledge that some proportion will genuinely struggle), interest and enthusiasm quite another. Simply bunging 'coding' into the curriculum in the driest possible manner isn't going to inspire any major change (what would it displace?). Think of the numbers of people who learn a foreign language at school vs. those who are fluent when they grow up. I don't know where you got the idea that I'd ban games from though, I think they're an ideal platform for creativity in this regard.

Children aged 5-10 are at a prime age for learning things like new languages, but realistically speaking there are a huge number of problems with that, from the resources required (computer space for every child? Custom programmes for each age category?) to the availability of qualified teachers. This latter problem would be magnified if you're talking about primary school kids who generally only have one teacher, but I know even in my later schools the IT teachers were notoriously disinterested.

Fake edit: I will concede that there are much better tools for engaging kids with computers now than I had at school, such as the Raspberry Pi, and I'm definitely in favour of pushing thing like HTML at older ages.

quote:

Also, internet diagnosing people with mental illnesses is a lovely thing to do, especially if it's just because they have a hobby you can't or don't want to do.
Fair enough, that was a lovely thing to say. However I stand by my objection that generalising your own positive experience of coding across an entire generation is not a practical approach, however enthusiastic Michael Gove was at the idea.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

A PR move like this suggests Blair will be once again seeking to re-enter British public life. Presumably he's going to try again to stop Labour shifting to the left, especially since the general election is so close.

Which pretty strongly indicates he is insane given how prominent his failings in Iraq are at the minute. I wonder if he'll try to do what a couple of US neocons did and blame it all on people wanting to give up after a mere 11 years of quagmire it didn't work). It will be funny to see if he does that.

What do you mean if?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/15/tony-blair-iraq-essay

The Guardian posted:

Tony Blair rejects 'bizarre' claims that invasion of Iraq caused the crisis
'We have to liberate ourselves from the notion that "we" caused this', argues former prime minister in website essay

Tony Blair has strongly rejected claims that the 2003 US-UK invasion of Iraq was to blame for the current crisis gripping the country, pointing the finger instead firmly at the Maliki government and the war in Syria.

In a passionate essay published on his website, the former prime minister said it was a "bizarre" reading of the situation to argue that the US-British invasion of Iraq had allowed the growth of Sunni jihadist groups such as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis), whose fighters have swept through towns and cities north and west of Baghdad over the past week.

"We have to liberate ourselves from the notion that 'we' have caused this. We haven't. We can argue as to whether our policies at points have helped or not: and whether action or inaction is the best policy. But the fundamental cause of the crisis lies within the region not outside it.

"We have to put aside the differences of the past and act now to save the future," says Blair, adding that force may be necessary. "Where the extremists are fighting, they have to be countered hard, with force."

His intervention came as the Pentagon said that US defence secretary Chuck Hagel had dispatched the aircraft carrier USS George HW Bush and two guided missile ships into the Gulf as a precautionary measure.

Rear Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary, said the Bush will be accompanied by the guided missile cruiser USS Philippine Sea and the guided missile destroyer USS Truxton. The ships were expected to arrive in the Gulf on Saturday night. Kirby described the deployment as increasing Obama's martial flexibility "should military options be required to protect American lives, citizens and interests in Iraq", rather than signalling an imminent strike.

And in London, government officials confirmed that British military personnel could be deployed in Iraq to help tackle the growing threat to the stability of the region from Isis.

Although the Foreign Office ruled out full-scale military intervention, sources confirmed they had had discussions about sending military and police as part of a "counter-terrorism" package.

In a defence of his actions in Iraq, Blair attacked as "extraordinary" any notion the country would be stable if Saddam Hussein had stayed in power.

"The civil war in Syria with its attendant disintegration is having its predictable and malign effect. Iraq is now in mortal danger. The whole of the Middle East is under threat."

He said it was inevitable that events across Iraq had raised the arguments over the 2003 war. While admitting that no weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq, he said: "What we now know from Syria is that Assad, without any detection from the west, was manufacturing chemical weapons. We only discovered this when he used them. We also know, from the final weapons inspectors' reports, that though it is true that Saddam got rid of the physical weapons, he retained the expertise and capability to manufacture them.

"Is it likely, knowing what we now know about Assad, that Saddam, who had used chemical weapons both against the Iranians in the 1980s war – that resulted in over a million casualties – and against his own people, would have refrained from returning to his old ways? Surely it is at least as likely that he would have gone back to them?"

Blair said a likely scenario was that during the Arab spring Iraq would have been engulfed in civil war which would have blown sectarian conflict across the region. "So it is a bizarre reading of the cauldron that is the Middle East today, to claim that but for the removal of Saddam, we would not have a crisis."

He added that until three years ago al-Qaida had been a "spent force" in Iraq and that the country had had a chance to rebuild itself. "It did not pose a threat to its neighbours. Indeed, since the removal of Saddam, and despite the bloodshed, Iraq had contained its own instability mostly within its own borders.

"Though the challenge of terrorism was and is very real, the sectarianism of the Maliki government snuffed out what was a genuine opportunity to build a cohesive Iraq. This, combined with the failure to use the oil money to rebuild the country, and the inadequacy of the Iraqi forces, have led to the alienation of the Sunni community and the inability of the Iraqi army to repulse the attack on Mosul and the earlier loss of Falluja. And there will be debate about whether the withdrawal of US forces happened too soon."

He said that the rise of Isis was partly a consequence of the Syrian war. "To argue otherwise is wilful. The operation in Mosul was planned and organised from Raqqa, across the Syria border. The fighters were trained and battle-hardened in the Syrian war.

"At its simplest, the jihadist groups are never going to leave us alone. 9/11 happened for a reason. That reason and the ideology behind it have not disappeared."

He added: "This is, in part, our struggle, whether we like it or not."

"It wasn't my fault! IT WASN'T MY FAULT! WMD! SADDAM!"

The essay itself is grimly hilarious too: http://www.tonyblairoffice.org/news/entry/iraq-syria-and-the-middle-east-an-essay-by-tony-blair/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Erwin Rommel was one of the few senior German officers who didn't commit war crimes and was forced to commit suicide after being implicated in Claus von Stauffenberg's plot to assassinate Hitler. But, he was German in 1940 so I guess he was a Jew-hating fascist, right?
He was German in 1940 in a high ranking military position, and almost certainly knew about the orders to 'destroy Jewry in the Arab World' in the immediate wake of the Afrika Korps. Even if you buy into the "clean hands" Wehrmacht, he still doesn't come off so great, and probably shouldn't be given a GQ style award. I'm not sure that anyone famous for wars of offense (Blair included) and parading around in military uniform should be getting GQ awards though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's not just pot and hookers, although for obvious reasons those are the things the media picks up on. It's actually a whole raft of changes in national accounting practices to bring us into compliance with EU and global norms:

Right, but why should implementing these change the relative size of the recession? That would only happen if we'd somehow been overcounting shrinkages in GDP and undercounting rises, and it's not obvious how we'd be doing that.

edit: in other words why is the result of this bias towards deeper recessions?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Man, how'd I miss this? Thanks for pointing it out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I imagine that MP's put in weed and hookers because they all want to help out in improving those figures.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Even if Rommel didn't personally order war crimes he still watched the backs of the people who did by fighting for Nazi Germany. Letting your nationalism lead you to enable genocide is still a reprehensible thing to do.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Forgive my ignorance and tabloid-like simplification but is the government essentially saying "our bucket has a giant hole in it but we were only counting the water! turns out there was some mud in there too. so the leak isn't as bad as we thought :smug:"

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Jedit posted:

I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a serious historian nowadays who accepts the rommel myth. I mean, he probably didn't commit war crimes but yeah he def was a Jew-hating fascist.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Man, how'd I miss this? Thanks for pointing it out.

Blair is an endless source of dark entertainment:

The Guardian posted:

A well-connected New Labour source says: "Someone who knows Tony very well said to a friend of mine recently: 'He's very unhappy.' It's a false life he's leading. And the rich are boring. What has happened to Tony has elements of tragedy."

Elements of tragedy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

He was a noble savage fascist who fought us in honourable combat in Africa

wait...

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

Fake edit: I will concede that there are much better tools for engaging kids with computers now than I had at school, such as the Raspberry Pi, and I'm definitely in favour of pushing thing like HTML at older ages.

When you were a kid they had the BBC in schools which the Raspberry Pi is trying to emulate in terms of the access to computing and learning how to develop it brought British schoolkids. As for calling HTML coding, that's like saying I'm doing archaeology when I scoop the cat turds out of our litter tray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was introduced to Logo in Year 2 (in the early '90s) and spent many happy hours with classmates giving a turtle commands. Now I am a nerd who posts on internet forums and has to use a computer every day for work. Completely agree with Kegluneq that computers are a danger to our children and they should be shielded from them wherever possible.

• Locked thread