Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What happened in Killer is Dead after that one rad train bossfight, other than continual dissapointment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Spec Ops: The Line. Am I dead? Crazy? King of Dubai?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sammus posted:

There is no definite answer for this one, make up your own solution.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sammus posted:

You are crazy. You're hallucinating Konrad's radio transmissions, along with some other things that support this. In the end you make it to the skyscraper where Konrad is, and find that he's been dead for days.

E: No, there are definite answers. The game has multiple endings, but that doesn't change some key things.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 14, 2014

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

So can anyone tell me the whole plot to Final Fantasy VIII. I played it when I was like 15 and none of it made sense to me. I remember the characters and some of the concepts, but the whole actual point of the game was lost on me then. From what I remember it was pretty bad. Pretty feather boy was failed god maybe? Help goons!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: No, there are definite answers. The game has multiple endings, but that doesn't change some key things.

I thought he/she made it to the end but was confused about it. Yeah you are right in that theres an ending, but its up to you what to make of it. Also the devs said quitting the game is a legit end for the game too.

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008
Hotline Miami

There's a password. I never got it. Does everything make sense after you get it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Captain_Indigo posted:

So can anyone tell me the whole plot to Final Fantasy VIII. I played it when I was like 15 and none of it made sense to me. I remember the characters and some of the concepts, but the whole actual point of the game was lost on me then. From what I remember it was pretty bad. Pretty feather boy was failed god maybe? Help goons!

-Squall and his crew are part of SeeD which are mercenaries. They're hired to help kill a president under Rinoa's orders.

-That failed because the president was a fake, but the real target switches to Edea, a sorceresses. They pick up Irvine and try to kill Edea.

-Whoops, that failed! Crew gets captured, escapes, then learns Edea sent missiles to their home base Balaamb Garden.

-Squall activates mecha floating mode to dodge the missiles when he gets back there, but crashes into a fishing town because they don't know how to steer.

-Meanwhile, they find Ellone there who turns out is the reason you get random flashbacks to much cooler characters in Laguna's crew. Time travel spirit poo poo. You play as Laguna for a while until he becomes president of a super secret city.

-Plot twist! Turns out Squall and everyone except Rinoa (but including Seifer and Ellone) were orphans. Not only Orphans, but orphans from the same place! Also Edea is their foster mother.

-You didn't remember because you probably didn't read that two sentences in the very, very, very beginning of the game in the computer tutorial thing that's completely optional about Summons causing memory loss. WHOOPS

-Also Squall starts developing an apathetic boner for Rinoa.

-ALSO, Headmaster Cid that's in charge of Balaamb is actually Edea's husband. And they built SeeD to kill witches like her.

-PLOT TWIST! Turns out Edea was being controlled by a sorceresses from the future called Ultimecia, and transfers her powers to Rinoa once you beat Edea. Oh yeah, and Seifer joined Edea like a long time ago because he's a contrarian rear end in a top hat.

-Rinoa's like in a coma now, you don't really notice.

-Squall goes to Esthar, Laguna's swing city, to help cure her.

-Seifer goes "Surprise, mother fuckers!" and releases a different witch so Rinoa's free while the other one is the new Ultimecia host. Also, a giant beam of monsters from the moon shoot the earth because....effects?

-Laguna appears, says everything's cool cause they got a totally rad plan that...oh gently caress it

"Let Ultimecia possess Rinoa, have Ellone send Rinoa (and thus Ultimecia as well) to the past and then retrieve only Rinoa back to the present, enabling Ultimecia to achieve Time Compression, as it would allow Squall's group to confront Ultimecia in her time. To do this, Squall's team infiltrates Lunatic Pandora, defeats Seifer and Adel, and has Rinoa inherit Adel's sorceress powers. Time Compression is thus initiated; Squall and his allies travel to Ultimecia's era and defeat her."

SIMPLE

-So they beat Ultimecia after some time involving the Alien ship and Squall time travels to fix a paradox or some poo poo.

-Everyone's happy in the new time line, Zell eats too many hot dogs, Seifer's still a doosh.

EASY TO FOLLOW

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ArkOfTurus posted:

Hotline Miami

There's a password. I never got it. Does everything make sense after you get it?

The janitors are part of a patriot organization called 50 Blessings, whose flyers appear in the player characters' apartments. The aim of all the hits they have you carry out is to destabilize the Russo-American coalition. There are more cells all over the country. They chide the Biker for trying to get out despite knowing what he sign up for. The biker then has a choice to kill them before riding away. Jacket never gets his answers, however.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Ha! I totally meant Final Fantasy IX!

This was helpful though because my next question was FF VIII.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Scalding Coffee posted:

You left out Mayor Narl knew you had to get the Macguffins beforehand and sent you on a suicide mission. The story is so bad about this.

Haha you're right, I forgot all about that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mister Adequate posted:

Haha you're right, I forgot all about that.

God drat, that game seems to take a dump once you leave Arlia.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Boy, i'm glad i dropped that poo poo halfway through.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
oh cmon! that card game was great! and the music. and um

uh

the cutscenes were okay .. at the time. and did i mention the card game, yeah that owned

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
You can't talk about FF8 and not link this: http://squallsdead.com/

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anatharon posted:

What happened in Killer is Dead after that one rad train bossfight, other than continual dissapointment?

Geop's LP just wrapped up, and this is what I could make of it: Turns out Mondo and David are brothers (you might have guessed from the dream sequences), Mika is queen of the sun and Moon River is queen of the moon. Mondo was attacked by David, lost his arm, was taken to Bryan by a literal unicorn, and he patched him back together but now he has amnesia, as you probably guessed from all the dream sequences. So Mondo, suddenly remembering this, contracts himself to kill David. They have a boss fight, where Mondo turns into a biomechanical spaceman for one phase, and then David turns into a version of Mondo in a white suit. Mondo cuts David's head off, but as David's malice is leeching into Mondo, Mondo says "I understand now; we have the same blood!" and cuts off his metal arm. Cut to everyone on earth being kind of sad and Moon River giving Brian a new target for assassination that shocks everyone, and then cut back to the moon, where someone who could be Mondo or could be David (but has both arms and a head), is soaking up all the moon's malice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain_Indigo posted:

Ha! I totally meant Final Fantasy IX!

This was helpful though because my next question was FF VIII.

There are two worlds, Terra and Gaia. Terra is dying so their leader Garland creates soulless golems to absorb the souls of Gaians when they merge the planets. For some reason Garland built a mentally unstable androgyne golem named Kuja whose purpose was to slaughter everyone on Gaia to fill the empty vessels on Terra but only until his brother Zidane came of age to replace him. Of course Zidane has no idea of his true purpose and is raised by a band of rogue troubadours.

Beginning the game in medias res, Zidane is hired to kidnap princess Garnet because her mother who rules the evil empire is murdering everyone. The Queen is actually a puppet for Kuja who eventually goes power hungry when he realizes he can trance (basically go super saiyan) by absorbing the souls he's supposed to be harvesting. After a seriously kick rear end battle between a dragon and a robot castle while awesome music blares in the background, you eventually chase down and defeat Kuja. This summons Neo Exdeath Necron, the infamous final boss who deems that all life seeks death and thus must die because he was creeping on a person literally created to kill people. You beat him, Zidane tries to save Kuja and the two "die." Everyone returns to their lives but surprise! Kuja saved Zidane happy end.

Majority of the game is actually character arcs and has no bearing on the actual plot.s

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 14, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd like the relevant bits of the Assassin's Creed games up to IV. I've played up to Revelations but honestly I couldn't tell you anything about the plot. I have Black Flag and I'd kinda just like to skip to that.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Spoil Black Flag too, I've played all of them but couldn't tell you anything about them plot-wise.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Accordion Man posted:

2 is even better. Just ignore The Old Republic though.

I doubt you could spoil the plot easily for KOTOR2. There is just so many concurrent threads going that I had a page long writeup going for just the first act. That game is made in the nuanced character building, not the major conflict like KOTOR1 is. To really spoil KOTOR2 you need to talk about all the characters.

Essentially to break it down. You meet a character named Kreia in the first 5 minutes of the game. She's the tutor to the character from KOTOR1 during his youth. She used to be a Jedi but she got exiled for teaching heretical doctrine. Eventually she turns Dark Side and taught the current big bad Sith Lords before getting deposed for not being strong enough to keep them in check. Kreia doesn't hate either the Sith or Jedi at all for this though. She realized that they're mere puppets to ~The Force~ and decided that the best way to solve the constant push-pull between the two that were killing countless billions was to merge the doctrinal differences into a new order that stemmed entirely from her experiences. Her Sith students had whittled the entire Jedi order down to a handful by the time you show up and she sculpts the Main Character's viewpoints to match her new doctrine and uses her to kill the bad Sith Guys and she personally kills off the remaining Jedi Masters when they try severing your connection to the force. She then sets herself up as the big final boss as a final method of instruction. Everything she does from the moment she encounters you is tutoring you in some way. With her dying breaths she tells you that the choice on how to proceed into the future is entirely up to you and she is fully confident that any choice you make would be well reasoned and make her happy. Ending shot is of your spaceship leaving for deep space in search of the main character from KOTOR1.

If you want to understand KOTOR2 you have to play the game, or use that one excellent Lets Play that some guy did. The devil is in the details.

The voice actress for Kreia is PERFECT and when she boxes your ears for being a gently caress up it comes delivered without any flaws. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvS5MLnG0Y is delivered when you go full Dark Side and just ruthlessly kill people for petty reasons like revenge.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kreia is like the only video game antagonist where I was annoyed that I couldn't just join her, because she's right about the Force. Getting rid of it ain't going to create an instant universal peace but the Jedi and Sith are both a bunch of assholes that have caused nothing but trouble for millennia, the universe is better off without them.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 14, 2014

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tae posted:

-Squall and his crew are part of SeeD which are mercenaries. They're hired to help kill a president under Rinoa's orders.

-That failed because the president was a fake, but the real target switches to Edea, a sorceresses. They pick up Irvine and try to kill Edea.

-Whoops, that failed! Crew gets captured, escapes, then learns Edea sent missiles to their home base Balaamb Garden.

-Squall activates mecha floating mode to dodge the missiles when he gets back there, but crashes into a fishing town because they don't know how to steer.

-Meanwhile, they find Ellone there who turns out is the reason you get random flashbacks to much cooler characters in Laguna's crew. Time travel spirit poo poo. You play as Laguna for a while until he becomes president of a super secret city.

-Plot twist! Turns out Squall and everyone except Rinoa (but including Seifer and Ellone) were orphans. Not only Orphans, but orphans from the same place! Also Edea is their foster mother.

-You didn't remember because you probably didn't read that two sentences in the very, very, very beginning of the game in the computer tutorial thing that's completely optional about Summons causing memory loss. WHOOPS

-Also Squall starts developing an apathetic boner for Rinoa.

-ALSO, Headmaster Cid that's in charge of Balaamb is actually Edea's husband. And they built SeeD to kill witches like her.

-PLOT TWIST! Turns out Edea was being controlled by a sorceresses from the future called Ultimecia, and transfers her powers to Rinoa once you beat Edea. Oh yeah, and Seifer joined Edea like a long time ago because he's a contrarian rear end in a top hat.

-Rinoa's like in a coma now, you don't really notice.

-Squall goes to Esthar, Laguna's swing city, to help cure her.

-Seifer goes "Surprise, mother fuckers!" and releases a different witch so Rinoa's free while the other one is the new Ultimecia host. Also, a giant beam of monsters from the moon shoot the earth because....effects?

-Laguna appears, says everything's cool cause they got a totally rad plan that...oh gently caress it

"Let Ultimecia possess Rinoa, have Ellone send Rinoa (and thus Ultimecia as well) to the past and then retrieve only Rinoa back to the present, enabling Ultimecia to achieve Time Compression, as it would allow Squall's group to confront Ultimecia in her time. To do this, Squall's team infiltrates Lunatic Pandora, defeats Seifer and Adel, and has Rinoa inherit Adel's sorceress powers. Time Compression is thus initiated; Squall and his allies travel to Ultimecia's era and defeat her."

SIMPLE

-So they beat Ultimecia after some time involving the Alien ship and Squall time travels to fix a paradox or some poo poo.

-Everyone's happy in the new time line, Zell eats too many hot dogs, Seifer's still a doosh.

EASY TO FOLLOW

WRONG!

Squall is dead. He is killed during the assassination mission. The rest of the game is basically a dream world before he finally dies.

:colbert:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Can someone tell me what happens in Deus Ex Human Revolution - The Missing Link? It was so abysmal compared to the main game I gave up in disgust (I assume about) halfway through.

If, god help you, you played the Director's Cut, it's the part after you plant Tong's bomb and climb into a stasis pod.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WMain00 posted:

WRONG!

Squall is dead. He is killed during the assassination mission. The rest of the game is basically a dream world before he finally dies.

:colbert:

Man Final Fantasy 8 has a lot of theories like this one you and MrBims mentioned, or the one that suggest the final boss is actually Rinoa in the future.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Anyone want to take a stab at Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy? I've heard it's way better than Miracle Mask and Last Specter were, but I'm in the middle of Layton vs. Wright and I just can't bring myself to care about it any more. I played up to the point where the game tells you to go scour the globe for the five MacGuffins.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anatharon posted:

So how did Mindjack end?
I played this through to completion and I can't remember anything other than it's a bad game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Can someone tell me what happens in Deus Ex Human Revolution - The Missing Link? It was so abysmal compared to the main game I gave up in disgust (I assume about) halfway through.

If, god help you, you played the Director's Cut, it's the part after you plant Tong's bomb and climb into a stasis pod.

I am really sorry to break that to you, but the Missing Link had literally nothing to do with the plot of the main game.

Basically what happens you get captured. Keitner works for Interpol and has a friend named Quinn. Quinn is actually the mysterious guy that talks to you the entire time, who hired Keitner to play an Interpol agent.

Basically what he wanted to do is use both of you against Belltower for some reason in some way. That doesn't work so he goes "gently caress that poo poo" and sings a lullaby to put you back into cryosleep.

e:

rizuhbull posted:

I played this through to completion and I can't remember anything other than it's a bad game.

You beat the evil guys, get the girl and gently caress her brains out, get some childrens. The loving end.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Man Final Fantasy 8 has a lot of theories like this one you and MrBims mentioned, or the one that suggest the final boss is actually Rinoa in the future.

FF8 is so ridiculous that the only thing you can do is speculate. Adventure Time's pilot aptly summarizes Final Fantasy 8: "Your mind has been transported back in time and to Mars." -Abraham Lincoln.

Xenogears may actually be more coherent than FF8 despite being unfinished in the end. That game actually has threads you can follow.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Rirse posted:

Square denied that the "Squall is dead" theory is what happens in FF8 and yet it makes the most amount of sense compared to trying to work out what the gently caress was going on in the game in the first place.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Michaellaneous posted:

I am really sorry to break that to you, but the Missing Link had literally nothing to do with the plot of the main game.

Basically what happens you get captured. Keitner works for Interpol and has a friend named Quinn. Quinn is actually the mysterious guy that talks to you the entire time, who hired Keitner to play an Interpol agent.

Basically what he wanted to do is use both of you against Belltower for some reason in some way. That doesn't work so he goes "gently caress that poo poo" and sings a lullaby to put you back into cryosleep.

It apparently ties into the spin-off book (stop laughing) Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect. Quinn's part of an anti-Illuminati group called Janus or something.

There's a couple of nice nods to the original game: those weird subs from Ocean Labs turn up, and also Gary Savage (who apparently named his daughter after an ex-girlfriend, which is a bit weird).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd like the relevant bits of the Assassin's Creed games up to IV. I've played up to Revelations but honestly I couldn't tell you anything about the plot. I have Black Flag and I'd kinda just like to skip to that.

Desmond managed to collect enough artifacts to open the control cavern of the thing needed to save earth from the sun blast. You still need ANOTHER artifact to open the inner sanctum though, and as you explore deeper into the complex a new dichotomy is revealed: Juno is naughty and the only one of the ancients still "alive". Minerva and Jupiter imprisoned her when she started being naughty and trying to take over the world after the war, while they were still evaluating methods to save the world. But they are gone now, and she's spent the intervening centuries corrupting the world-saving mechanism to also be her instrument of rebirth. At the end, with a Minerva simulacrum begging Desmond not to release Juno, and Juno egging him to save his world, his sight shows him the future if he does as Minerva asks: he will survive the apocalypse and eventually become a great uniter and leader. He will die fulfilled, be remembered for his creed, and eventually worshipped, and thus the cycle of doctrinal violence will begin again. On the other hand, Juno doesn't dissemble and assures him that the mechanism will kill him if he activates it. He does, the world is saved, and he dies.

Ezio ends his life as badass as he lived it, locking himself in a library-crypt with either the final key for the anti-apocalypse device, or the second to final one. I forget. He is survived by his sons.

Conner returns to the lands of his people after his efforts in the war to find them gone. To be fair their poo poo did get torched multiple times, I'd run off too. His mentor dies too. Also Haytham is his father, and gets owned. I don't remember anything else about his story. It's pretty loving boring.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 14, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nathilus posted:

Conner returns to the lands of his people after his efforts in the war to find them gone. To be fair their poo poo did get torched multiple times, I'd run off too. His mentor dies too. Also Haytham is his father, and gets owned. I don't remember anything else about his story. It's pretty loving boring.

There is one thing you should do tho'. Go play the first part of AC3 or watch some videos. Only as long as you are Haytham. Because Haytham is the most swuave motherfucker that ever existed.
Also a much better character than Conner.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Nathilus posted:

gently caress you, black flag owns.

I think you misunderstood their post. They want a summary of all the AC games up to Black Flag so that they can play that.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

majormonotone posted:

I think you misunderstood their post. They want a summary of all the AC games up to Black Flag so that they can play that.

Oh gently caress, you're right. Editing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nathilus posted:

Ezio ends his life as badass as he lived it, locking himself in a library-crypt with either the final key for the anti-apocalypse device, or the second to final one. I forget. He is survived by his sons.

That's now how Revelations ends.

Altair locks himself in the Vault to die, Ezio finds his remains and the final key.Ezio receives the final message from the alien ghosts, who tell him he's just a conduit, that his job is just to listen. He figures out that Desmond has some way to observe him and his response is simply "gently caress this, I'm done". He dumps his Assasin bracers in the tomb and struts out like a boss.

Later, he gets married, buys a vineyard, raises a big-rear end family and dies of old age

Ezio owned.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 14, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Don't forget the part where a Chinese assassin travels cross country just to get him to tell her how to rekindle/succeed as an Assassin guild master. And he helped kill the people who followed her.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Accordion Man posted:

Kreia is like the only video game antagonist where I was annoyed that I couldn't just join her, because she's right about the Force. Getting rid of it ain't going to create an instant universal peace but the Jedi and Sith are both a bunch of assholes that have caused nothing but trouble for millennia, the universe is better off without them.
It goes deeper than that, man. The Jedi and Sith is a metaphor on the light being the absence of dark and dark being the absence of light angle. You end up with chaos if one is greater than the other.

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy 8
You forgot that the whole GF memory loss thing is still a theory, despite everything that happened. If something so drastic as to erase years of your life because you summoned a naked woman yet has not been proven by the scientific method, then something else caused your memory loss. GF's are red herrings. I blame the poo poo plot that would have otherwise wrecked the story. Seifer knew that everyone suddenly lost their memories and got pissed off at them as a result. He could have told someone that they were family, but he decided not to shatter the shallow plot tying the Sorceress thread together.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's now how Revelations ends.

Altair locks himself in the Vault to die, Ezio finds his remains and the final key.Ezio receives the final message from the alien ghosts, who tell him he's just a conduit, that his job is just to listen. He figures out that Desmond has some way to observe him and his response is simply "gently caress this, I'm done". He dumps his Assasin bracers in the tomb and struts out like a boss.

Later, he gets married, buys a vineyard, raises a big-rear end family and dies of old age

Ezio owned.

Ezio is the one of the Assassins to have a satisfying conclusion

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ezio and Edward are the best protagonists because they consider the whole alien metaplot to be as stupid as it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Assassin's Creed Ezio spoiler
Technically he doesn't die of old age, he was assassinated at an old age. Still pretty good.

• Locked thread