Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
drat, this game came out of nowhere and I'm really excited for it. My pc is ancient though, it can't run dx11. It ran batman arkham origins fine though, do you think I have a shot at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

drat, this game came out of nowhere and I'm really excited for it. My pc is ancient though, it can't run dx11. It ran batman arkham origins fine though, do you think I have a shot at it?

The minimum specs say the game requires a dx11 compatible card so probably not?

I might as well ask what the "kind of loving crazy" part of the specs listed in the op are? A 660 is a mid-range card from ~3 years ago, it's hardly a ridiculous recommendation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TheCoon posted:

The minimum specs say the game requires a dx11 compatible card so probably not?

I might as well ask what the "kind of loving crazy" part of the specs listed in the op are? A 660 is a mid-range card from ~3 years ago, it's hardly a ridiculous recommendation.

I think it's more the CPU requirements that are very steep. I built a PC literally a month ago and I think the i7 3770 is a last gen card that's barely a shade less powerful than my i5 4690k, and I have that thing overclocked to 4 ghz. For folks who didn't literally just build a PC I'd be unnerved too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I think it's more the CPU requirements that are very steep. I built a PC literally a month ago and I think the i7 3770 is a last gen card that's barely a shade less powerful than my i5 4690k, and I have that thing overclocked to 4 ghz. For folks who didn't literally just build a PC I'd be unnerved too.

This in addition to the VRAM requirements (which are admittedly not listed there) add up to some crazy poo poo. To wit, 4GB VRAM for High textures, 6 for Ultra.

E: Oh hey, Lady Marwen is played by Claudia Black, awesome.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

extra stout posted:

The internet constantly says he was anti-war, I had a professor actually tell me he was certain the ring itself represented a round vagina and what would happen to society if we let women in the work force, and then this post I quoted is actually an idea that isn't poo poo.

Does anyone here with a PC that doesn't quite meet the requirements plan to buy the game anyway? I'm a hair short of the CPU requirements and really want one of you to spend fifty bucks and report back to potentially save me from wasting fifty bucks.

I ordered it and I have an i5 750 @ 2.67ghz with 4GB of RAM... but a GTX 760 with the monster 4GB of RAM on it. For what it's worth, I play Watch_Dogs with more or less no framerate issues and every game before that absolutely fine. Mind you not on ULTRA GRAPHICS settings but usually no less than medium at my max resolution. Fine for me, anyway. Hoping to upgrade in the spring but we'll see.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Thanks for all the posts, I might pick it up and see. I've heard Valve has a once per account refund policy but I imagine you have to go through some hassle, now I just have to make 40 gigs in room. I hope/wish they'd do separate clients for those of us who don't really need ultra textures sitting around taking up five DVDs of space.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

extra stout posted:

Thanks for all the posts, I might pick it up and see. I've heard Valve has a once per account refund policy but I imagine you have to go through some hassle, now I just have to make 40 gigs in room. I hope/wish they'd do separate clients for those of us who don't really need ultra textures sitting around taking up five DVDs of space.

Sounds like ultra textures might be a separate download to begin with. :suicide:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The PC version had the optional HQ texture pack so that's the best version imo and monolith is a good studio

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Rirse posted:

Thinking of grabbing the PS4 version, because while I have a nice gaming PC, after the issues I had running Dead Rising 3...I might just get a console version instead to avoid them. But has any comparison between the two versions appeared yet?

I'm in the same situation as you are. I'm going to have to make my decision by Monday night, but if I had to choose right now I'd go with the PC version just because with Green Man Gaming the game can be had for $37.50, which is a hell of a deal. I'm sure by Monday we'll have more impressions of the PC version, though in the videos I saw it looked excellent, standard Youtube compression non-withstanding.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm in the same situation as you are. I'm going to have to make my decision by Monday night, but if I had to choose right now I'd go with the PC version just because with Green Man Gaming the game can be had for $37.50, which is a hell of a deal. I'm sure by Monday we'll have more impressions of the PC version, though in the videos I saw it looked excellent, standard Youtube compression non-withstanding.

Yeah, I would prefer this game on PS4 but I couldn't really justify it when the PC version is 22.50 cheaper. Joke is on me if I can't get it to run.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Anyone know when GMG will be sending out the keys? Really want to preload this one because of the size.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Icept posted:

Anyone know when GMG will be sending out the keys? Really want to preload this one because of the size.

Probably day of, but they occasionally do it earlier.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
"As soon as possible" is what they said on Twitter, so probably Monday. :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
99% of the time they send them out after midnight on launch day.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Thanks guys, preloading is a mystical realm of uncertainty for publishers I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Icept posted:

Thanks guys, preloading is a mystical realm of uncertainty for publishers I guess.

I just assume game publishers still run on augurs and omens.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This completely flew under my radar.

When the review embargo is taken off as many days in advance as this game has, you know people are confident in their game.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Debating whether to get this now for PC or wait until I get a ps4. I'm mostly concerned about how it will run on my pc, but dammit, I never knew I could be so hyped about a game I didn't know existed until yesterday. I'm past most of the requirements in the first page, it's just my processor that's a bit under the requirements. 660ti and 16gb of ram should be fineish, but I'm kind of concerned about my i5 3450 @3.10 ghz.

...I have no willpower, I'll probably get it for pc anyway. It just seems like a pleasant surprise that a game like this is coming out of nowhere for me. It was probably all over the internet, but I totally missed everything about it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Orv posted:

This in addition to the VRAM requirements (which are admittedly not listed there) add up to some crazy poo poo. To wit, 4GB VRAM for High textures, 6 for Ultra.

E: Oh hey, Lady Marwen is played by Claudia Black, awesome.

I thought that was her.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hopeford posted:

Debating whether to get this now for PC or wait until I get a ps4. I'm mostly concerned about how it will run on my pc, but dammit, I never knew I could be so hyped about a game I didn't know existed until yesterday. I'm past most of the requirements in the first page, it's just my processor that's a bit under the requirements. 660ti and 16gb of ram should be fineish, but I'm kind of concerned about my i5 3450 @3.10 ghz.

...I have no willpower, I'll probably get it for pc anyway. It just seems like a pleasant surprise that a game like this is coming out of nowhere for me. It was probably all over the internet, but I totally missed everything about it.

I think you'll be fine, the processor requirements seem a bit overestimated compared to the GPU requirements. (Not that I've played it and can say for sure though.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well now I feel dumb for trusting SH/SC last year when they said 4gb 770s were a waste of money.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Sindai posted:

Well now I feel dumb for trusting SH/SC last year when they said 4gb 770s were a waste of money.

Yeah that's my main worry about this game. I have an i74770k and a 2gb 770gtx, which imo should run everything fine. I was able to run Watchdogs at 30-35fps with stutter only when driving really fast, but that didn't matter much. This type of game though I want to be able to run smooth.

This PcGamer video http://youtu.be/DrzSBpkxbqw is the only pc gameplay video I've seen so far, but it's not really relevant. Of course it's going to run good with 4x Titans, like wtf is the point. I wish they would show how it performs with a more down to earth system.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 27, 2014

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Preordered on PS4. Thanks for costing me $60, jerks.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
http://www.twitch.tv/zarikota

appears to be streaming the PS4 version atm, how long he'll be on etc no clue, looks like fairly early game though.

Quality on the stream is fairly poo poo, but it is still some gameplay for a bit.

Edit : Well stream down already pfft.

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 27, 2014

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

The only thing i'm kind of worried about is length of the game, i read someplace that it'll be about 13 hours, but generally gameplay length as described by devs is super inflated. Would be bummed if this only takes like 2 nights to finish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

canada jezus posted:

The only thing i'm kind of worried about is length of the game, i read someplace that it'll be about 13 hours, but generally gameplay length as described by devs is super inflated. Would be bummed if this only takes like 2 nights to finish.

10-13 hours is pretty much accurate discounting sidequests and stuff, give or take less time depending on how much you decide to screw around. The "it took me 35 hours and I only got 30%" Kotaku estimate is way off though.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

canada jezus posted:

You could probably expect around that maybe for mainline story, or maybe less, but more play time if you add side stuff.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think it's the kind of game that you'll get your time out of if you're enjoying playing it. Some reviewers said 13, some said 25. Open world sandbox games with 'emergent gameplay' (God I hate typing that) are hard to guesstimate.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

canada jezus posted:

In the IGN review he says he estimates if you just do the story, it will take 12 hours. However he was still busy doing the much more interesting side quests and clocked in somewhere around 25 hours. Sounds like a meaty game.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Its really weird to say, "i'd be satisfied with 20 hours, okay with 16, delighted with gta 5 length" but i guess you know what i'm saying. As a sidenote i also feel silly with my 2gb 770. Hopefully i can get extra outfits doing silly sidequest poo poo, running all over the map.

edit: If this game takes 25 hours to 100% i'll be pretty pleased i think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth noting it has a Batman-style challenge thing (although in this case it is "kill these warchiefs and captains within a time limit and get a high score" instead of a challenge room.) It has regular and "elite" categories, with elite meaning you have to complete the objective in under 30 minutes, without dying more than twice, and get 8000 points to even get on there.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Is it Tuesday yet?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

dreffen posted:

Is it Tuesday yet?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth noting it has a Batman-style challenge thing (although in this case it is "kill these warchiefs and captains within a time limit and get a high score" instead of a challenge room.) It has regular and "elite" categories, with elite meaning you have to complete the objective in under 30 minutes, without dying more than twice, and get 8000 points to even get on there.

God, I hope the trophies don't make you do ALL of then like they do in the Arkham games. That will make the game pretry drat near impossible to platinum.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ImpAtom posted:

10-13 hours is pretty much accurate discounting sidequests and stuff, give or take less time depending on how much you decide to screw around. The "it took me 35 hours and I only got 30%" Kotaku estimate is way off though.

How many hours was Infamous Second Son estimated to be because that was pretty much perfect. A run through on Normal/Evil, another on Hard/Good, an hour of cleaning up trophies to get the platinum then on to the next game. If I get that much entertainment out of SoM I'll be happy with the purchase.

If anything a lot of games feel like they drag on too long and are never truly finished. I'm hoping SoM won't be bogged down with "Kill 10,000 more Captains" type content to make the game feel longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

God, I hope the trophies don't make you do ALL of then like they do in the Arkham games. That will make the game pretry drat near impossible to platinum.

It doesn't. The Trail of Power is a free Day 1 DLC and is not tied to any trophies. Every trophy is tied to things you do in the main story and is pretty trivial to get.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey so something I was actually wondering about: will the highest difficulty make it so you don't see the icon indicating attack or at least minimize them like the highest difficulty in Batman did?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Contra Calculus posted:

Hey so something I was actually wondering about : will the highest difficulty make it so you don't see the icon indicating attack or at least minimize them like the highest difficulty in Batman did?

There is only a single difficulty mode but there's an option to turn indicators off in the menu IIRC. I'm not sure how that interacts with poison which naturally disables your counter icons while you're poisoned.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I would prefer this game on PS4 but I couldn't really justify it when the PC version is 22.50 cheaper. Joke is on me if I can't get it to run.

Also, think of things in the long run. The PS4 version is always going to look like the PS4 version. But if you get the PC version then any future machine you build will probably be able to make it look better than it could ever do if you got the console version.

Is Dead Rising 3 really that bad? I've not bought a single multiplat game that's not worked on the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't. The Trail of Power is a free Day 1 DLC and is not tied to any trophies. Every trophy is tied to things you do in the main story and is pretty trivial to get.

So it's a pretry easy platinum then? The extra missions are just for fun? Awesome!

• Locked thread