Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Razzled posted:

I thought it was pretty cute. But I noticed (though I don't speak Japanese so) it doesn't sound like she says any of the typical variations of what she's apparently saying. Is it like baby version of words or is it a different level of honorifics? IE isn't "yes" "hai", but she says something that sounds like "ui"

I took it as a weird variation of "un", which is kinda like "mm-hmm" in English. It's more of a grunt than a word, but people know what you mean.

In general she talks by stringing together a bunch of words with no grammar. I wouldn't call it baby talk though, since she uses more complicated words than necessary sometimes. For example, she says "gratitude" instead of "thank you" and "deny" instead of "no". The impression is that she's only vaguely familiar with Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd say she almost speaks Chinese-in-Japanese. The words she uses are rather "hard" words, often some you wouldn't use in speech. And yes, she just puts them together with no particular grammar.

The sort of speech you get if you just look up core words in a dictionary and use the first thing that matches.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Frederica is just the best :allears:

I loved that she actually switched to human form first so she could fit the entire fish head in her mouth :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Chaika's strengths just dont work well when they have to be constantly moving and being the aggressors. Unless Chaika becomes the dragoon and rides Frederica around shooting at range while still being mobile.

welp

Also, RIP everyone. :smith:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

a kitten posted:

welp

NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

a kitten posted:

T-T-TPK!!

Random blabber
Dec 14, 2013

Jackard posted:

T-T-TPK!!

This is what happens when you split the party.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Exactly:rolldice:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Watched the first episode again, and noticed the hero says that he never had a chance to use Gaz's hand. He was there for Chaika's death so it gives further weight to it specifically being using the pieces that ruins people.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
And now we start to get answers.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This week in Chaika Eats Something

legoman727 posted:

And now we start to get answers.

Not just us, but the characters in the show are also getting answers! It's cool that both White and Red are there, since they'll probably have slightly different reactions to all the things they're learning. And how is Tube Girl related to them?

Also, preview based gif spoilers
:allears:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

huh so what's the deal with Vivi then? Her chaika transformation doesn't really fit with what was just established.

also if gaz never had a daughter who got beheaded during the war?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cake Attack posted:

huh so what's the deal with Vivi then? Her chaika transformation doesn't really fit with what was just established.

No idea except that maybe that was a prototype Chaika?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

a kitten posted:

Also, preview based gif spoilers
:allears:

She's just so happy. :3:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

All we know about Vivi is she's a war orphan with no info on her origin. Maybe not all the Chaikas were activated. Some being sent around as sleeper Chaikas that activate when one Chaika dies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

She's just so happy. :3:

Frederica is the best character. :kimchi:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Episode basically just confirms what we already knew, although now we can see how Red handles things.

"Bloodily" seems a safe guess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey Tooru where are you going

...You are not Tooru...

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Guyver posted:

All we know about Vivi is she's a war orphan with no info on her origin. Maybe not all the Chaikas were activated. Some being sent around as sleeper Chaikas that activate when one Chaika dies.

Expect for she activated due to emotional trauma, but retained her old self, making what Guy called a half Chaika, Which may suggest they are orphaned and shoe legged into roles that can give them combat experience, and an emotional trauma trigger, Though since Vivi either had help thanks to her friends, or even since the squad focused heavily on Chaika, she new what was happening and beat it before she was chaikafied, Mixture of both is also possible, though I have yet to watch the episode for another 3 days

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

...You are not Tooru...
Those eyes reminded me of this

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Feels like we're in the last arc now.

If tube-girl was male I'd say odds were 110% that this is Gaz's plan to resurrect himself. As it is I'll put the odds at just 90% instead. Maybe he secretly always wanted to try twintails.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm calling tube-girl is the next party member, and we'll have one more arc (I mean we're only four episodes in and there's ten episodes this season.)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Only that many!?!? :negative:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stevefin posted:

Expect for she activated due to emotional trauma, but retained her old self, making what Guy called a half Chaika, Which may suggest they are orphaned and shoe legged into roles that can give them combat experience, and an emotional trauma trigger, Though since Vivi either had help thanks to her friends, or even since the squad focused heavily on Chaika, she new what was happening and beat it before she was chaikafied, Mixture of both is also possible, though I have yet to watch the episode for another 3 days

Keep in mind, just before she started turning they had sunk the floating castle with defected, mind-controlling chaika on board.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Now that we have two Chaikas who know the truth, hopefully the two parties will join up. Some new blood would be great. I would also settle for Fredrica and Akari getting some character development while they're off doing whatever up top. Fredrica is great for gifs but doesn't really have anything else to her, and Akari needs something about her that isn't related to her brother or being creepy.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sindai posted:

Feels like we're in the last arc now.

We still have the last hero, the twin Chaikas and Gillette left.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Not to mention we're still missing some pretty hefty Gaz parts. Torso and the rest of his head, at the very least.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
gently caress yeah, time for some Chaik-

:stare:
Those... were certainly some revelations.
Bring on R+W teaming up.
Bring on Fredericka zerking out on Orobous(sp)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zeruel posted:

Bring on Fredericka zerking out on Orobous(sp)
Think they called it Othros, a mythological monster that shows up in several games including the latest Final Fantasy

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

nielsm posted:

Keep in mind, just before she started turning they had sunk the floating castle with defected, mind-controlling chaika on board.

Maybe so. but she also did not start to transform till she was presented with his sword, I do think there is a limit to the amount of active chaikas in the world, but that may be more down to Guy so he can keep track on them, and play favorites on those doing well

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 30, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Stevefin posted:

I do think there is a limit to the amount of active chaikas in the world, but that may be more down so Guy can keep track on them, and play favorites on those doing well

That's how I'm leaning too, I do have to say I was a little shocked by just how freakin' many Chaikas were shown when he was detailing Gaz's plan though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tube girl looks like miku

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
While I definitely like this show, it kind of does treat women badly. We first had a flying fortress powered by teen girl torture, and now a resurrection plot powered by ransacking teen girl orphanages. Most of the 'rational' characters in this show are men, even if the women are more entertaining characters.

Still, Frederica remains best character.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Zeruel posted:

Bring on R+W teaming up.
All we need now is a Black and Yellow Chaika and we have RWBY.

Pretty obvious that the Chaika that was beheaded was just another one of the many Chaikas. Probably a setup. Still the overarching plot doesn't make any sense to me yet. I don't see Gaz's benefit here. Also, he was a nasty bastard.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

We'd have to drop the animation quality a few dozen levels, too.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

HiveCommander posted:

We'd have to drop the animation quality a few dozen levels, too.

I'm posting this for the second time on this page just to emphasise the !!QUALITY!!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dan7el posted:

Pretty obvious that the Chaika that was beheaded was just another one of the many Chaikas. Probably a setup. Still the overarching plot doesn't make any sense to me yet. I don't see Gaz's benefit here. Also, he was a nasty bastard.

No no no, we need a Gold Chaika and a Black Chaika so we can have a sentai team.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

ScottyWired posted:

I'm posting this for the second time on this page just to emphasise the !!QUALITY!!

The fight scenes were pretty lazy. Hopefully they are saving up for later?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Every time I watch Chaika I want to play FFXII, however can't wait for fredricka next episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I wonder if maybe the Chaika who died at the castle isn't really dead? That is, that even if she was decapitated, she was put back together somehow. It wouldn't be completely ridiculous. Among his other goals, Gaz is in pieces and might be trying to resurrect himself somehow, and the castle Chaika was probably some sort of prototype. If white Chaika has some memories of the time when castle Chaika was killed, then perhaps either she is the castle Chaika, or the castle Chaika was used as the base for the others and the memory of her death was passed on to all them. It would just be sneaky for the writer to finally explain what the neck marks are and then have white Chaika's scar have a different cause anyway.

If all Gaz wants is to resurrect, that seems like a very small goal for a man like him. If he's really that great a wizard he could probably have prevented his death in the first place if that's what he really wanted. Unless, I suppose, it was just a matter of his lifespan being up and it being convenient for the heroes to be seen as killing him. But only that? I think there has to be more to it. I saw a theory elsewhere which is quite interesting, that perhaps what Gaz wants is to create a human being which can use magic the way that Fayla can, and that is what the tube Chaika is.

The more I think about it, the more I don't understand how finding the Gaz body parts could be the only purpose of the Chaikas. It's a lot of trouble to go to, and were the Chaikas really necessary? Having hundreds of orphans lined up that way does mean that they're an army of body-gatherers that won't quit and are unlikely to betray Gaz's plans.

I do think the latest episode means that there's more to the Chaikas than that. Perhaps the Chaikas are an attempt to create some really special magic fuel to be used for some huge spell? Magic fuel seems to be made of memories, and the Chaikas lost their own pre-transformation memories, except for Vivi. And Vivi's partial transformation happened at a time she experienced intense stress. Either the old memories could get eaten up, or the Chaikafiction process turns a person into someone who is compatible magic fuel.

• Locked thread