Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder if there's an editorial mandate to make Doom the absolute best in any book he's in :swoon:

If there is, I'm sure Doom himself issued it. Natural order of things and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Axis Deadpool greeting Axis Carnage is my comic moment of the week.

I don't know, "I'm an Avenger!" and "Live drat you, live!" are both pretty up there.

And yeah it's clear at least from Deadpool's solo that all the grousing at the end of Axis was them being inverted.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I can't be arsed with any of this Axis poo poo and am grudgingly putting up with it encroaching into Loki and Magneto's books (Loki especially deserves a loving break from always getting dragged into event nonsense) but I was sufficiently intrigued enough to check out the Hobgoblin book and it was certainly an interesting angle to go with. Kind of reminds me of that schmuck from The Wolf of Wall Street in a way, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Heh, reading that back, it'd amaze my younger self that two of my favourite titles were Magneto and Loki solo books. We've come a long way, baby!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I don't know, "I'm an Avenger!" and "Live drat you, live!" are both pretty up there.

And yeah it's clear at least from Deadpool's solo that all the grousing at the end of Axis was them being inverted.

Live, drat you was the best scene in that book.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
I've been keeping up with all of the Axis issues, but i'm not impressed so far. All the issues with Uncanny Avengers, too spuratic, too many characters, have been amplified. The whole arc just seems trite and played out, I'm not feeling any sense of urgency at all, and the whole inversion thing feels hokey to me, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out. Doesn't help that Avengers/New Avengers is dealing with some much heavier poo poo at the same time (in the future).

Deadpool was good though.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I keep thinking the inversion could be really fun, but we're a third in and haven't really gotten to it yet. Unless Falcon-Cap acting like a huge rear end in a top hat and lovely leader 24/7 is part of him being inverted?

I can't get over how unlikeable most of the characters are in this. It's seriously impressive. Also impressive: having the same spell interrupted in the same way twice. Good job, Remender! I can't help but feel he could have removed Dr Strange from the equation the first time and hopped straight to having Doom do it without having Strange and Wanda get interrupted a second time, you know? It's just. Why would you waste time having the same thing happen twice?

Also Sentinels are like the least-urgent threat ever so, uh, good job on having those be part of the threat in the first bit of the event. I'm thinking about this thing too much and it's only making me mad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

And just to me personally, some of the continuity doesn't add up and usually Remender has been pretty good about continuity so I can only imagine he was told to role with it. Avengers 34 shows Cap coming back form time travel fully aware of the Illuminati as a young man. In Axis and Cap 25, he is old yet Stark, Hulk, and even Dr. Strange in his new totally not evil costume are around and everything is cool.

I was hoping for a Marvel event that didn't have a good chunk of "Tony Stark is a jerk!" but I guess everyone has to write that story nowadays.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I was hoping for a Marvel event that didn't have a good chunk of "Tony Stark is a jerk!" but I guess everyone has to write that story nowadays.

If I was the kinda guy who read into things I'd say most writers are not as happy about Iron Man kicking off Marvel Studios as their pre-approved PR statements would leave you to believe. That there was, at least at a subconscious level,the feel of a noose tightening as their contributions to the finical stability of the company were dwarfed more and more by movies and resources were being quietly diverted away from them towards the production of movies.

If I was the kinda guy who read into things.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 27, 2014

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

notthegoatseguy posted:

And just to me personally, some of the continuity doesn't add up and usually Remender has been pretty good about continuity so I can only imagine he was told to role with it. Avengers 34 shows Cap coming back form time travel fully aware of the Illuminati as a young man. In Axis and Cap 25, he is old yet Stark, Hulk, and even Dr. Strange in his new totally not evil costume are around and everything is cool.

Brevoort talked about this on Tumblr and said that Cap didn't immediately act on the information about the Illuminati for whatever reason. This lines up with what Sunspot says in Avengers #36 where he mentions that Cap only told the Avengers about the incursions a couple of months ago meaning that there is a 6 month period where things carry on as normal to some degree.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Starsnostars posted:

Brevoort talked about this on Tumblr and said that Cap didn't immediately act on the information about the Illuminati for whatever reason. This lines up with what Sunspot says in Avengers #36 where he mentions that Cap only told the Avengers about the incursions a couple of months ago meaning that there is a 6 month period where things carry on as normal to some degree.

In the Invaders he is also aware of them, and willing to work with Namor. However, at this point he is an old man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus either Uncanny or (New) Avengers is probably an alternate timeline.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'd say to just not worry about continuity. I mean, so far in Time Runs Out, Hickman is pretty much still writing Cap as if he was young and only with some minor changes like the line about him beating someone with his cane. Otherwise he looks like he's a strong old guy who can still go out on missions instead of the frail version Remender has.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I just assumed he made those gains the old fashion way in the interim 8 months.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Captain America doesn't skip leg day.

You could and probably should just chalk it up the the serum slowly coming back and bulking him up as well as de-ageing him because whatever really happens will be dumber then that and instantaneous.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
I don't think the serum will be coming back, short of the "captain America returns" arc two years from now.

While on the topic though, isn't captain America's intellect partially the product of his serum? How is he more fit to give orders over someone like Stark or Hill?

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
How did he lose the serum in the first place? Science magic? Was it left open for him to get it back like Wolverine's "death"?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

AllLuckySevens posted:

I don't think the serum will be coming back, short of the "captain America returns" arc two years from now.

While on the topic though, isn't captain America's intellect partially the product of his serum? How is he more fit to give orders over someone like Stark or Hill?

He wouldn't instantly forget everything he's learned though. I kind of think losing the serum shouldn't have made him frail even, though I could see withdrawal-like symptoms putting him on his rear end. Compare it to someone quitting steroids. The body isn't going to shrink down it just lost the boost it was getting so will slowly go back towards normal.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

He wouldn't instantly forget everything he's learned though. I kind of think losing the serum shouldn't have made him frail even, though I could see withdrawal-like symptoms putting him on his rear end. Compare it to someone quitting steroids. The body isn't going to shrink down it just lost the boost it was getting so will slowly go back towards normal.

Yeah and he was a frail rear end dude before he got the serum. Remender's is probably closer to what he would be if he had never gotten it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Realistically" if you just took his serum away the result would be....no difference. Maybe, maybe he'd start losing muscle mass. He wouldn't lose height or anything, and he'd probably still be a million times better off than he was to start with as far as strength goes. He certainly wouldn't get old. Aging isn't math, it's engineering. It's not adding up the years and that's how wrecked you are, it's the impact those years have in weighing down your body. You aren't grey haired and wrinkled because you are old, you are grey haired and wrinkled because you had a long march through a lot of hard years that made their mark on you. If something stopped those years from aging you, and then that thing went away? You don't retroactively get wear and tear done to your person and end up old. You end up a dude that is functionally in a 20 year old body aging again.

But really who cares, they wanted an old Steve and a new Captain America and I guess they didn't want to do Steve's usual thing in situations like this of just loving off and not being Captain America for a bit. And I'm sure many interesting stories will come of it and he will absolutely not be Captain America inside 3 years, tops.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

But really who cares, they wanted an old Steve and a new Captain America and I guess they didn't want to do Steve's usual thing in situations like this of just loving off and not being Captain America for a bit. And I'm sure many interesting stories will come of it and he will absolutely not be Captain America inside 3 years, tops.
Care to put a wager on that? I hear Captain America comics are quite tasty.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just paged through SixaxiS 1-3 and... Really now? Crazy bitch scarlet witch again?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has anything good come out of this yet?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Has anything good come out of this yet?

Magneto killing Red Skull. Its also just begun and we have not seen any of the fall out yet, or what the storyline is actually about.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool. But that's just Deadpool being a great comic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Axis: Carnage is a total throwback to the Venom: Lethal Protector days, so naturally I give it a thumbs up.

Carnage trying to figure out how to punch out a woman without killing her is ace.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

Axis: Carnage is a total throwback to the Venom: Lethal Protector days, so naturally I give it a thumbs up.

Carnage trying to figure out how to punch out a woman without killing her is ace.

Bless his heart, he's trying.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Oh my god, I just read Carnage #1 and I am dying.

Did people seriously think this mini wasn't going to be awesome? Because every second of that was delightful.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Carnage blowing Sin Eater's head off with his own shotgun was goddamn amazing.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Gavok posted:

Carnage and Hobgoblin have both started off great.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the axis version of carnage should just be the regular version of carnage because i always love the concept of a psychopath ineptly attempting to be a superhero
always and forever

i also love that sin eater is apparently an immortal magical skeleton who is going around in a ski mask shooting people with a shotgun. that concept is also loving hilarious.

i think the whole event is really stupid and annoying but carnage has easily made up for it because oh man that was one hell of a first issue

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 31, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Events these days seem like bland backdrop for people to write amazing tie-in books, which is I guess better than the inverse since tie in books always outnumber actual event books.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Fereydun posted:

i also love that sin eater is apparently an immortal magical skeleton who is going around in a ski mask shooting people with a shotgun. that concept is also loving hilarious.
I honestly thought at first that Sin-Eater was Ghost Rider. Like, he somehow got Inverted despite not being anywhere near Genosha at the time and just started calling himself Sin-Eater.

It helps that I honestly have no idea what Ghost Rider is doing right now, because I've never given a drat about him.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Castomira posted:

It helps that I honestly have no idea what Ghost Rider is doing right now, because I've never given a drat about him.

From the latest issue of the Thunderbolts, I don't know why but I found thise extremely amusing: He got his power back after being depowered earlier in Thunderbolts

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
Just finished Axis 4.

This entire crossover feels like a poorly thrown-together What if? story. There's no subtlety to speak of, and the pacing is just awful. The hulk gets sad and then... Turns in Kluh? And then runs away? And no one cares?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

AllLuckySevens posted:

Just finished Axis 4.

This entire crossover feels like a poorly thrown-together What if? story. There's no subtlety to speak of, and the pacing is just awful. The hulk gets sad and then... Turns in Kluh? And then runs away? And no one cares?

There's some good ideas in there, but it's just so tremendously disjointed and hamfisted. Then again, it's Remander, so...IdontknowwhatIexpected.jpeg

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AllLuckySevens posted:

Just finished Axis 4.

Kluh basically sounded and almost acted like Lobo Classic. And I'm totally ok with that. So heroes are rear end in a top hat villains now and Carnage is happily heroically insane, alright then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jiro posted:

Kluh basically sounded and almost acted like Lobo Classic. And I'm totally ok with that. So heroes are rear end in a top hat villains now and Carnage is happily heroically insane, alright then.

Best part of the issue was Carnage telling them not to use a kid as a human shield as they are small.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
This issue was less pushing its own story and more of a set up issue for all the comics that AXIS is either creating or affecting this month. I did like the panel of Magneto walking away from the Apocalypse Youth speech. Came off as a "been there done that" pose.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I get the 'heroes are jerks now!' concept, but I feel really weird and conflicted over how Cap is acting. Like ... this is going to spill over into the new FalconCap series and Cap & the Mighty Avengers. Starting the dude's run with him being an rear end in a top hat feels like ... I don't know, it's just getting off on the wrong foot for me.

This issue was pretty bad all around though. I felt hopeful at the end of 3 because the villains vs Red Onslaught fight was kind of neat, but the only redeemable part of this issue for me was the Carnage section. I should probably have just bought the Carnage tie-in and gave this a pass, but I didn't know. :negative: I didn't know ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The premise is dumb as heck.

goldenoreos posted:

This issue was less pushing its own story and more of a set up issue for all the comics that AXIS is either creating or affecting this month. I did like the panel of Magneto walking away from the Apocalypse Youth speech. Came off as a "been there done that" pose.

Like this bit was really neat and I'd love to read more about Evan being Apocalypse and apparently being able to become big and scary based on his state of mind that bit is pretty interesting but the whole inversion thing where it'll be undone pretty directly, everyone will go back to normal, and there will be zero long term impact is getting kind of old. Most comic stories are that way but this is just being extra lame and obvious about it. All I really want is Pietro to do something naughty and claim Inversion when caught.

• Locked thread