Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
From left to right, the first musical note looks like a sad face. I wonder if it's a clue...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
For what it's worth some of the symbols in the first room looked Japanese but considering I'm studying it I think I'm just used to finding those shapes. Also these are my interpretations but I'm not sure if they're the most accurate reading.

天 Heaven (Though I might be reading the top stroke into it without the top stroke it's:)
大 Big
山 Mountain (This was also inverse so maybe under a mountain?)
口 Mouth
才 Talent (maybe year?)
回 Times (repetition i would think)
左 Left
一 One
立 Standing
匹 Animal

And some phonetic symbols:

ユ Yu
へ He (Pronounced more like Hay or Ey also used for indicating a direction you're heading toward)
い I (Pronounced like saying the letter E)

I'm sure I'm not right about most of them but I was hoping it might someone else to postulate on their meaning because it's the puzzle I find most interesting at the minute. I tried looking at runes but there was nothing obvious to me.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

From left to right, the first musical note looks like a sad face. I wonder if it's a clue...?

That's the bass clef, and they always look like that.

I keep looking at the chair's shadow. It almost makes another staff, except with four lines instead of five. Four line staves were used historically, but I don't know if that's getting too esoteric.

Princey fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

Princey posted:

The eighth notes have a leap of a minor 3rd, and the chord has a doubled 3rd.

Reasonable enough for me, let's go to Room 3.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think we should continue our pattern of only going through doors that are already open (except for our first choice, where this wasn't an option) and enter room 13

Edit: I wonder if it's worth noting that the chair in the center of the room isn't aimed at the fireplace, but almost directly at the other chair.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 27, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The thing above the fireplace resembles a dragon to me, which matches with the giant face having a fire burning in his mouth.

The bowling pin feels really out of place for this room.

How does the hat and the bowling pin, which looks to be leaning on a piece of firewood, connect with the fireplace/face/dragon or the music elements?

I don't want to vote until someone makes sense of the musical elements because they feel like the most immediately important.

I'm guessing there are two rooms that lead back into here, one of which would be 9, but there's no way to tell which one atm.

Hey Grimwit, can we get a high rez closeup of the 13 opening? It looks like there's something on the wall.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Here yo go...

But I will say that you're not missing anything. It's just a blank "poster."
The Maze rooms, with few exceptions, keep their clues on surface level. The Musical clues in this room, for example, are very noticeable, if you know what you're looking for.

Some of you are even on the right track.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The fireplace is a prominent face, and F-A-C-E are the notes in the spaces of the treble clef.

The shadow of the chair looks a bit like a bird's foot walking toward door 3.

In addition to someone else mentioning the thirds in the musical notes shown themselves, I'm gonna go with Door 3.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Liking this new room, mostly thanks to the musical notes. Not really sure what that bowling pin might have to do with the other items in the room, but I think I'll go with good ol' unlucky Door 13.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
The fireplace being inside a face might be a reference to the Hellmouth motif.

Sticking with 3.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Let's go bowling, Door 13.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

The fireplace is a prominent face, and F-A-C-E are the notes in the spaces of the treble clef.

The notes in the treble clef are E-G-C-E, part of the C major scale (or its parallel A minor) and related chords. Treble also means 'threefold', and C being the third letter in the alphabet spells 3, too. I see the 3 in this, but there's also the saying all good things come in threes, and there's only pairs of things here, if at all. I'm going to stick with my choice of door 13, I'm too curious to see that room.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grimwit posted:

The Maze rooms, with few exceptions, keep their clues on surface level. The Musical clues in this room, for example, are very noticeable, if you know what you're looking for.

Just seems like an oddly pointless detail to put in there. I guess I'll take your word for it, but it still irks me a bit.

I guess I'll throw in my vote for 3 since there hasn't been much headway. I wanted to go there last time and still do because I'm intrigued by the 3 blind mice reference.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

With 7 Votes, we find our way into...

Room 3

…an entirely different kind of place.

The group complained of feeling “all turned around,” as well they might.

Because no one wanted to stay here very long they missed the real sign while looking through the obvious. People in their situation, confronted with a challenge, tend to accept the terms of the challenge as a given, without examining it from all sides. How many sides does that problem have? They don’t know.

We passed down a long flight of stairs, through some sort of pantry, and on into…

If this room makes you dizzy, stay focused. It may look like the room doors are all wonky, but they are legit doors, to be sure.

Edit: DJ Ramshackle wanted a zoom in of the painting and the pots.

Now, let's look at our map and your choices.

Ah. Well. It would be pointless for you to go to a room previously visited, but you are still able to back track to room 13, via Room 18, where we just came from.

So your choices for vote will either be Room 13, OR Room 33.

You have roughly 24 hours.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Largely on the strength of believing room 3 was the right way to go, then the next move must be Room 33.

But on the clues on this room I'd go with the fact that everything is mirrored so I'd go with the door marked with something that reflects light (the moon) rather than emits it (the sun). Which is also 33.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Room 33 seems like the right way to go actually. :v:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
33 is the room for me.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm going to dissent and say room 13. All the signs in the room are flipped horizontally - EXCEPT the "this way" sign, which is flipped vertically. So if you flipped it to read correctly, the arrow would still be pointing to room 18.

Iunnrais makes a very solid point, so changing my vote to room 33.

Princey fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 28, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
33. Princey, you COULD see the "This Way" sign as being flipped vertically... OR, you could view it as having been mirrored, and then rotated 180 degrees, meaning that someone spun the sign, meaning that the sign had been pointing to room 33 and then spun around later.

I think the "What is your sign?" banner is drawing attention to this.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Room 33. We're not here to find the right way, we're here to bumble through as many rooms as possible, picking up information as we go along. We'll go through this place several more times before we figure this poo poo out, I'd wager.

Also, I'm really confused by the "what is your sign" thing. Is it referring to the signs in the room?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Iunnrais posted:

33. Princey, you COULD see the "This Way" sign as being flipped vertically... OR, you could view it as having been mirrored, and then rotated 180 degrees, meaning that someone spun the sign, meaning that the sign had been pointing to room 33 and then spun around later.

I like this reasoning, and it shows us a route to the beginning (allowing us to see part of the route to that whole "16 rooms" thing), so 33 it is!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
POTS

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
This new door does not appeal to me as much as bowling does, therefore I restate my vote for Door 13.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

Iunnrais posted:

I really really wanted to vote 33 before I even read this, but then I stopped to think about what you pointed out: Yes, the sign is rotated 180 degrees. So, after fixing it, it would indeed have been pointing at door number 33. --But while being mirrored! So then if you mirror the sign, it's pointing right back to door 18. So, in the art we are presented, the sign as it is is the 'real sign' the Guide references, pointing the right way from the start, being missed for the 'obvious' flipping and rotating and whatnot business confusing the path!

...there's a problem, though, in that that's where we just came from

so uh hey yeah let's keep mapping this place out and go to 33 and heck maybe when we're closer to hunting down the right path, I'll have been right in this one instance and we just happened to be going backwards right now i dunno ahh

Twisted Eye fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 28, 2014

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Everything in this room is Backwards. Clearly we have gone backwards, and need to go back into 18 so we can take door 13 next time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What is your sign, along with the sun and moon pictures, could be a reference to astrology.

I like the arguments put forth so far, so I'll vote 33.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Are those three pots/pans' contents reflecting flipped numbers or letters, as well?

In any case, I'll also toss a vote for door 33 into the pile.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Could we get a zoom in of the painting and the pots?

We had the top hat in the last room and now a stick figure with a top hat in this one.
Looking at the map, I think we should fill out room 13.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Here you go.

Not exactly sure what you can glee from this, but maybe you'll see something I don't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There seems to be a 9 after "What is your sign".

There seems to be another sign behind the stop sign.

If I remember correctly, the Sphinx faces away from the sun during the equinox.

The sign points to18, not 33, after correctly mirroring it.

As already mentioned, the theme of the room could be astrology, but if we consider the moon as a red herring, the room feels more Ancient Egypt to me. Hell, the moon picture is even tacked on to the door frame.

That in mind, I pick 13.

Does anyone feel like making a chart or graph of how all the rooms connect as we visit them, essentially tracing our path? I might do it later if no one wants to, but I cant right now.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Does anyone feel like making a chart or graph of how all the rooms connect as we visit them, essentially tracing our path? I might do it later if no one wants to, but I cant right now.

I did. That's what the map is. It took 11 tires and about a week (collectively) of man hours.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grimwit posted:

I did. That's what the map is. It took 11 tires and about a week (collectively) of man hours.

I don't mean to demean your efforts, but as you said the map is intentionally a bit convoluted. A simpler representation tracing our path through the maze across each run might let us figure things out a little more easily.

I know its rather insulting to your effort, so if you don't like I wont do it, but I think every bit of info would help.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Room 33 seems like a good choice.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I don't mean to demean your efforts, but as you said the map is intentionally a bit convoluted.

I take no offense.

The Maze itself is intentionally convoluted. The map I made was intended to make navigating the Maze a breeze, so you guy didn't have to revisit rooms. This'll become more necessary as we get in deeper.

I welcome anyone else to try and connect it all together on one map. I kind of gave up. As it stands, my map has three levels, Ground Floor, Upper Floor, and the yet unvisited Basement, and they are grouped by a certain pattern which I will reveal later.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I said 13 and I'm sticking with it. :colbert:

UberSprode
Oct 22, 2010
The POTS across from STOP, is making me think there is some kind of palindrome at work here.
Also, THIS WAY might simply be referring to the proper way to view the page.

In which case, I say we go to Room 81, er 18

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

And so, with eleven votes, our choice is clear. Our many feet stampede onto the shaky floor of...

Room 33

…the room with no floor. They crowded each other on the narrow ledge. The bold one ventured out to the center.

Realizing that they could see all of the signs only from the center of the room, several wanted to turn back.

With exaggerated caution, considering their predicament, they finally reached the door they wanted and eventually found themselves in…

Oh my, Mr. Guide, that wasn't a subtle clue. He might as well have been talking about luck.

Well, it's no nevermind. I've found you lot tend to choose for your own reasons, and that's fine. This is as much a tour as it is a game. Also, it seems our choices have expanded.

Let's look at our map.

Yes, this is filling out quite nicely. We're even still able to back track into the popular Room 13, if needed. As an added clarification, I wish to avoid revisiting rooms. A vote for a previous room seems inefficient and this may take a month to complete as it is. If you want a quick index of the previous rooms, check under the original post and you will find links to the other rooms. Perhaps you may glean new clues to the riddle, the guide, or which way is the correct path.

You're choices are 7, 35, or back to 13.

You have roughly 24 hours.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeaaah... I don't know what to do with this room but point things out:

There's a horn by 3, and a violin or similar string instrument by 5

Plaques:

3) Ring with bird on left, Jug on right
Drum) Bug on left, Key on right
35) Different Jug on left, Harp(?) on right
7) Dagger on left, Crown on right

The picture on top seems to be a chariot, or maybe an old school royal wagon thing.

Like this:

Nothing else really stands out, except maybe the fact that the light is shinning up from the chasm. I have no idea what to pick so someone just throw a number and I'll pick that with you.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Lucky number seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Grimwit posted:

Realizing that they could see all of the signs only from the center of the room, several wanted to turn back.

The only sign that we wouldn't be able to see coming from this direction would be door 3. I would wager that door 35 and 7 are either dead ends or loop into each other such that the only we we can get to this room is by taking 33 from the previous room.

If there were a person playing those drums, they would be marching towards door 3.

edit: just noticed that there are 3 instruments in the picture as well, 3 possible doors, and door 3 is unique in that the number is shaded from the light by the plank. The other two are lit. I think the wagon and all the items on the emblems on all of the doors are red herrings otherwise - I can't think of any possible way they could be interpreted in any meaningful fashion.

Lastly, there's a sign that says "THIS WAY" and points to the door that we didn't take in the previous room, in addition to a written hint about obvious signs.

Still voting for 13.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 29, 2014

• Locked thread