Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm not sure there is a real benchmark for "too dumb and forced" in the mls. I was going to make a joke about the league needing a "dynamo" team but forgot one already exists. Put in Borussia Pittsburgh and Zenit Minneapolis already.

Nah, just go full on copyright infringement and put Beckham's team in St. Petersberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

In addition to the loving governor's race in Illinois, the Fire are letting go half of our roster. Alex, Soumare, Joya, Segares - options all declined. And there's rumors Magee is on his way out.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Do you guys not remember what Nike did with our kits? The Wiz, the Clash, all the Inaugural Season colors? Let's all remember those when we bitch about Adidas and boring poo poo.

gently caress yeah I do! I'm still trying to complete my collection but The Wiz and Mutiny 96 are the highlights of my entire wardrobe.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Hello Towel posted:

In addition to the loving governor's race in Illinois, the Fire are letting go half of our roster. Alex, Soumare, Joya, Segares - options all declined. And there's rumors Magee is on his way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHs9Rf7L8_U

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Defoe is more officially going to QPR, we're definitely getting Zlatan, and Leiweke is Winston Churchill.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2014/11/05/jermain_defoe_to_leave_toronto_fc_for_queens_park_rangers_report.html

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Kaka already looks bored.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

ShutteredIn posted:

He just got a divorce, gotta look serious now.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

He just got a divorce, gotta look serious now.

Huh. I'm surprised that his boss, Jesus Christ, would command him to do that.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Huh. I'm surprised that his boss, Jesus Christ, would command him to do that.

When you belong to someone you don't question their motives.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

ShutteredIn posted:

These four men are in the same room just like I'm in the same room as Elvis, Cookie Monster, and Lady Gaga

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

quote:

The U.S. market showed its promise during the World Cup, when record numbers of television viewers followed the American team to the round of 16. It didn’t translate into a boost for MLS, which began its playoffs last week. While attendance rose, MLS viewership was down 32 percent this season from 2010, the previous World Cup year, to 129,000 per English-language broadcast, according to Nielsen Co. data provided by Horizon Media Inc.

Americans increasingly don't want to watch Garbers Mickey Mouse League. Meanwhile EPL ratings at all time highs. Thoughts?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Americans increasingly don't want to watch Garbers Mickey Mouse League. Meanwhile EPL ratings at all time highs. Thoughts?

but more people are going to the games year on year? hmm don't think you've thought this particular post all the way through!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Azerban posted:

but more people are going to the games year on year? hmm don't think you've thought this particular post all the way through!

Too bad thats a local phenomenon and mostly meaningless.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hmm yes ticket sales are meaningless and aren't the biggest generator of league revenue, absolutely

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

I really hate the new MLS badge.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Hmm yes ticket sales are meaningless and aren't the biggest generator of league revenue, absolutely

Unless MLS is going to expand to every metro area in the US (wouldn't put it past Garber tbh) they will have to some day gain a modicum of national relevance like every other sports league has.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Offseason Drafting Schedule announced: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/11/05/mls-releases-2014-15-offseason-calendar-draft-combine-and-trade-window-sched

For the lazy:
2014-15 MLS Offseason Calendar

TBD - MLS Dispersal Draft for Chivas USA

December 7, 2014 - MLS Cup Final

December 8, 2014 – Half-day Trade Window: Open 9 am ET - 1 pm ET. Teams may trade during that window or may re-sign their own players. Blackout period starts at 1 pm ET, runs through the MLS Expansion Draft.

December 10, 2014 - MLS Expansion Draft

December 10, 2014 - Trade Window opens at the end of Expansion Draft; closes on December 11, 2014, at 5 pm ET

December 10, 2014 – MLS Waiver Draft

December 12, 2014 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase One

December 12, 2014 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase One; closes on December 17, 2014, at 11 am ET

December 18, 2014 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase Two

December 18, 2014 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase Two

January 2-5, 2015 - MLS Caribbean Combine

January 9-13, 2015 - MLS Combine

January 15, 2015 - MLS SuperDraft

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Hmm, wonder why they haven't picked a date on dispersal.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Offseason Drafting Schedule announced: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/11/05/mls-releases-2014-15-offseason-calendar-draft-combine-and-trade-window-sched

For the lazy:
2014-15 MLS Offseason Calendar

TBD - MLS Dispersal Draft for Chivas USA

December 7, 2014 - MLS Cup Final

December 8, 2014 – Half-day Trade Window: Open 9 am ET - 1 pm ET. Teams may trade during that window or may re-sign their own players. Blackout period starts at 1 pm ET, runs through the MLS Expansion Draft.

December 10, 2014 - MLS Expansion Draft

December 10, 2014 - Trade Window opens at the end of Expansion Draft; closes on December 11, 2014, at 5 pm ET

December 10, 2014 – MLS Waiver Draft

December 12, 2014 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase One

December 12, 2014 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase One; closes on December 17, 2014, at 11 am ET

December 18, 2014 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase Two

December 18, 2014 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase

January 2-5, 2015 - MLS Caribbean Combine

January 9-13, 2015 - MLS Combine

January 15, 2015 - MLS SuperDraft

Lmao what is all this poo poo it sounds like a cross between watching soccer government contracting.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

You acting like this is yer first rodeo son. :clint:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

if you are not hyped as poo poo for mls re-entry draft phase 2 i don't know what to tell you

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Azerban posted:

if you are not hyped as poo poo for mls re-entry draft phase 2 i don't know what to tell you

That poo poo netted my team Espindola so you're drat right I'm hype

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Unless MLS is going to expand to every metro area in the US (wouldn't put it past Garber tbh) they will have to some day gain a modicum of national relevance like every other sports league has.

Tell me when Premier League games are on TV every season. What windows they use for coverage. Now, tell me what days and windows MLS uses.

That's MLS' big problem. Limit the days and find a marquee night for one big match and establish a loving routine, because routines become traditions and traditions are the basis for growth.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

harperdc posted:

Tell me when Premier League games are on TV every season. What windows they use for coverage. Now, tell me what days and windows MLS uses.

That's MLS' big problem. Limit the days and find a marquee night for one big match and establish a loving routine, because routines become traditions and traditions are the basis for growth.

*in the MLS voice* we should pick the days on which international games are always played.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Play all MLS games on Tuesdays except for the new LA team which can play their games on Wednesdays, giving birth to their new European style nickname.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 6, 2014

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

harperdc posted:

I think you're right, that would be a good idea. Imagine if MLS was still at 12 teams or whatever and all the teams were competitve and the sport had a national following. That should have been the goal. Not Bettman-esque crazy expansion and baseball style regionalism.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

African AIDS cum posted:

I think you're right, that would be a good idea. Imagine if MLS was still at 12 teams or whatever and all the teams were competitve and the sport had a national following. That should have been the goal. Not Bettman-esque crazy expansion and baseball style regionalism.

Wrong. Unless the talent is better than the PL no real american sports-mans will care. It will forever be the sport of fat guys in jorts who never played sports (the segment on the traveling Seattle fans at the Dallas game was loving embarrassing) and people who played soccer in high school.

I mean, maybe you're right in that the 12 team league could get reasonably close from a talent perspective, but you'd need to contract a bunch of early teams (as opposed to Seattles) to make it work right and be profitable. That's not happening.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Wrong. Unless the talent is better than the PL no real american sports-mans will care. It will forever be the sport of fat guys in jorts who never played sports (the segment on the traveling Seattle fans at the Dallas game was loving embarrassing) and people who played soccer in high school.

I mean, maybe you're right in that the 12 team league could get reasonably close from a talent perspective, but you'd need to contract a bunch of early teams (as opposed to Seattles) to make it work right and be profitable. That's not happening.

Link the segment. Lets bask in the cargo shorts.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

African AIDS cum posted:

Link the segment. Lets bask in the cargo shorts.

Can't find it but picture 4 intensely overweight sounders fans with long hair, newsboy caps and ear gauges and of course the lady is wearing that stupid teal and yellow 3rd kit from a few years back.

All that was missing was a utilikilt.

I guess they road tripped all the way to Dallas in one go, I'd imagine that Geo prism was covered in a 3 inch layer of Fritos at the end of the 20 hours of driving.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Can't find it but picture 4 intensely overweight sounders fans with long hair, newsboy caps and ear gauges and of course the lady is wearing that stupid teal and yellow 3rd kit from a few years back.

All that was missing was a utilikilt.

I guess they road tripped all the way to Dallas in one go, I'd imagine that Geo prism was covered in a 3 inch layer of Fritos at the end of the 20 hours of driving.

I like to imagine that their car has an emerald city-based scarf being used for their timing belt. Also that they were miserable when they hit a grocery store for beer.

"What is this? The only craft beer that's available is Shiner bock? How on earth can I enjoy this like one of the local plebs? I'm writing a strongly worded petition for all the world to know how backwards these animals are. They better at least have vegan, gluten-free options at the stadium or I'll have a very strongly worded opinion about it in my vlog."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The thing is, I really think it's JUST a matter of letting things sit and set and grow roots for MLS. DC needs a stadium, New England needs a stadium of its own, and there's a couple franchises (current and future) in the air but for the most part the pieces are in place for this to become a solid American institution of a league, and I say that without any irony or sarcasm.

It's hard to compare against the World Cup and it would be wrong to - that's a global circus of an event that has the ESPN marketing juggernaut behind it (and really is becoming similar to the Olympics in terms of drawing attention from every demographic). It's hard to compare it to the EPL, because that's the major global brand with big names spending a lot of money on the rights and therefore pushing it with all their might to recoup that investment. NBC went hard for those rights, they have to make it back.

But trying to rush things any faster makes it a bubble. And the NASL was a bubble. Of course things are almost too conservative, but that's inherently conservative - and safer. Players need to get paid more, and LA needs to get sorted, but we're right at 20 teams and more coming in. I think it's still sustainable at the moment.

This is where I channel Fancy and say enjoy the ride, don't get too mad about things like €GarberBucksŁ or weird schedules or international dates or *quietly whispers* promotion and relegation...none of those will sink American soccer, or instantly turn it into the NFL or EPL. I remember when ESPN hardly knew what a soccer was, now the top teams and players are household names in the States. Another couple years and they'll know what an MLS is, too. Patience, which I know is of short supply, but patience.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The most important thing is enjoying what it is and trying to get the stupid poo poo changed. Which is tricky, honestly. Our continued support can get read as tacit support for Garber Plinko and whatever weird fantasy football mechanism they want to use to make a World Cup star go to loving Columbus.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need better managers. If we can shape teams into something more attractive, like KC's long passing game or LA's attack, people will watch. The days of the quiet nerd in the bar with the Barca shirt who doesn't know how many titles his hometown side won are waning. And seriously, gently caress that guy.

The nerds will be nerds, the players will improve, and one day we'll all be bitching about entitled Orlando fans while our team builds better academy kids.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

harperdc posted:

This is where I channel Fancy and say enjoy the ride, don't get too mad about things like €GarberBucksŁ or weird schedules or international dates or *quietly whispers* promotion and relegation...none of those will sink American soccer, or instantly turn it into the NFL or EPL. I remember when ESPN hardly knew what a soccer was, now the top teams and players are household names in the States. Another couple years and they'll know what an MLS is, too. Patience, which I know is of short supply, but patience.

Garber has outlived his usefulness. The stupid bullshit like blind draws, wacky roster rules, low salary cap, inconsistent scheduling etc. are exactly what is holding the league back and preventing it from being accessible to the casual fan. It's hard enough explaining to someone the difference between a league and a cup competition, throw in the rest and it's a complete lost cause. If you ultimately want the league to be successful, and I mean successful not just 'adequate' or 'alive,' you need people to care that don't already own season tickets.

Poonior Toilett fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 6, 2014

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

We're going to have Garber in charge until he drops dead on stage announcing the 47th MLS Franchise, Spartak Muskegon.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

harperdc posted:

I think the main thing as far as tv goes is having matches tons of neutrals want to watch, and that will be because of the players involved. I usually throw on a game for the gently caress of it, but I was actually looking forward to NE-Columbus because Nguyen and Higuain are fun to watch.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

DR AIDS posted:

I think the main thing as far as tv goes is having matches tons of neutrals want to watch, and that will be because of the players involved. I usually throw on a game for the gently caress of it, but I was actually looking forward to NE-Columbus because Nguyen and Higuain are fun to watch.

Just last year you would never have said such a sentence. I think that shows where our league is going. More teams are entertaining at the same time than at any point in our history. It will only get better.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Big news in Rapids land!

The Rapids have hired Padraig Smith as "Sporting Director."

It sounds like he's going to 1) evaluate player performance and 2) be the salary cap guru. Apparently he's been a numbers/compliance guy for UEFA and the Irish FA for the last few years. As far as I'm concerned, 1) what's a sporting director? 2) if it means fewer Danny Mwanga trades and less "Edson Buddle instead of Conor Casey" idiocy, I'll take it.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
If I had to choose between conor Casey and edson buddle I'd chop off my balls.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Big news in Rapids land!

The Rapids have hired Padraig Smith as "Sporting Director."

It sounds like he's going to 1) evaluate player performance and 2) be the salary cap guru. Apparently he's been a numbers/compliance guy for UEFA and the Irish FA for the last few years. As far as I'm concerned, 1) what's a sporting director? 2) if it means fewer Danny Mwanga trades and less "Edson Buddle instead of Conor Casey" idiocy, I'll take it.

A sporting director is in charge of transfers, spending, negotiating and a bunch of other things that don't involve the players. I don't know what he's gonna do with all the insane draft rules and other nonsense but this might me good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

If I had to choose between conor Casey and edson buddle I'd chop off my balls.

toronto fc year 1 lol

actually casey requested out so i'd have to give him the edge

• Locked thread