Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Lord Windy posted:

It's really good. I am glad you added your voice to this because I wasn't even thinking along those lines.

Thanks, glad to have been of some assistance. :)

Lord Windy posted:

I'm leaving more up to the AI, that is for sure. Even if NPRs are a little dumb sometimes, it is better than trying to be the puppetmaster.

To be fair, as long as you're there to nudge them in the right direction from time to time an AI NPR is unlikely to make as many egregious errors as a novice player, or a bunch of Goons. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
First of the three ideas I will be pitching:

Foolishly the Allies did not stop with the Axis in 1945. Urged on by the hawkish Churchill, the American Coalition kept the tanks rolling into Comintern held Eastern Europe and Asia. Optimistic at quick victory over the war weary Communist, they failed to recognise the threat of Russian numerical superiority in Berlin. The Americans and British found themselves on the retreat and by 1946 the allies had been thrown off continental Europe.

The destruction of Leningrad and Moscow by American nukes served only to strengthen the resolve of the Communist forces. London fell in the spring of 1947, completing the Russian unification of Europe. Unable to match Allied naval superiority, the Russian’s turned their attention to liberating the African colonies.

In asia, the Chinese Communists, with the help of Russian material, managed to push the remaining Japanese and the Republican Chinese off the mainland. With the blessing of Stalin, Mao pushed onwards and brought the red tide to the rest of Asia and India. Bunny hopping from island to island, by 1950 it had completed the Communist takeover of Asia, India and Australia.

Technical advances in Rocketry gave the Russians and Chinese the final edge they needed over the Americas. Nuclear blasts in Toronto, Washington DC, New York, Mexico City and LA brought the Americans to the negotiating table. Refusal to surrender unconditionally brought forth waves of nuclear bombs from both sides. Despite enormous loss of life throughout the world, the American limited supplies of nukes and Russian technological superiority won the war for the Communist Alliance.

The year is 2025 and Communism rules supreme over the world. The bad years of the Nuclear Winter is over and life is improving. The average citizen of the Union of Communist Nations (UCN) remains poor, but there is now enough food on the table and the majority at least now live in private housing. The real complaint, if you were to ask a citizen, is the radiation illnesses they endure as matter of course. Cancer rates have placed the average life expectancy at 58 years for both men and women.

The UCN looks towards Mars and Venus replacement worlds to Earth and scientists from around the Earth work tirelessly to make that a reality.

This is the basic start on earth and conquer the universe idea Volmaris was suggesting. The other two will be different, as a sneak peak (still have to finish writing them) one will be a Methane breathing alien race and the other are Humans outside of the Solar System looking for Earth. If anyone has ideas feel free to put them out. They don't have to be complete

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

could always go for a 3 systems start. ie Humans and two NPRs in neighbouring systems. With connections to each other (and 1-2 connections to unexplored systems. Possibly also with connections to each other for maximum cluster-fuckery.

Dunno if Aurora would quite work in some sort of Succession Fort style.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I wonder if it would be possible to arrange for proper multiplayer in Aurora... using Dropbox or a similar service for synchronization that everyone uses the same game files and database. Of course it would have to be honour based ("I won't look into your empire") and people would have to coordinate via IRC or something to make sure there's never more than one playing at one time. But it could work... couldn't it?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

markus_cz posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to arrange for proper multiplayer in Aurora... using Dropbox or a similar service for synchronization that everyone uses the same game files and database. Of course it would have to be honour based ("I won't look into your empire") and people would have to coordinate via IRC or something to make sure there's never more than one playing at one time. But it could work... couldn't it?

It's easy to set passwords for individual 'nations' to stop you from logging on to them if you don't have the Space Master password.

You would probably have to work out some system where people log onto a remote computer, do the turn and then log back out. I might set up an AWS (there are free ones) or buy time on a VPS and load up my copy of Windows Server 2012 and see if it would be possible. I would do it from home but there is no way my internet connection could support remote desktop. Supposedly I get up to 2 megabit upload, but in practice you don't see much more than 64kbytes or 320kbit.

30 day time increments, everyone logs on to check their nations and the spacemaster increments the time.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

The main issue would be battles. Though I suppose the easiest way would be for the Spacemaster to pause the game when combat begins, and then have the involved players both submit battle plans/objectives. The SM then runs the battle for both sides and then the game moves on from there. Alternatively you could have players required to have standing orders for each individual fleet (so defend x unless y) which means when the battle begins the SM just runs each side from those orders. Which would be quite cool as it would actually take away the whole backseat admiral thing that Aurora sometimes has with military leaders on the homeworld able to instantly issue orders to fleets halfway across the galaxy.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

BwenGun posted:

The main issue would be battles. Though I suppose the easiest way would be for the Spacemaster to pause the game when combat begins, and then have the involved players both submit battle plans/objectives. The SM then runs the battle for both sides and then the game moves on from there. Alternatively you could have players required to have standing orders for each individual fleet (so defend x unless y) which means when the battle begins the SM just runs each side from those orders. Which would be quite cool as it would actually take away the whole backseat admiral thing that Aurora sometimes has with military leaders on the homeworld able to instantly issue orders to fleets halfway across the galaxy.

That would be a good way of handling it, give orders for the fleet and then have the spacemaster perform them.

I like this idea, I'm setting up an AWS free tier to see if it is even possible to run Aurora on <1gb of memory.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I'm sure that'll get extra fun once everyone gets large civilian fleets rolling!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

I'm sure that'll get extra fun once everyone gets large civilian fleets rolling!

Well, that will be controlled by the other person.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Good news everyone, it seems that you can play Aurora on the AWS server. Runs fairly well actually going by the test I have done.

Would there be any in a multiplayer like game?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I like the global communist start, although I might be a bit biased.

Lord Windy posted:

Good news everyone, it seems that you can play Aurora on the AWS server. Runs fairly well actually going by the test I have done.

What is the AWS server? I'm not familiar with it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias :eng101:

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Lord Windy posted:

I'd be interested in either a traditional Let's Play with you at the head, or a multiplayer game. Though I'm hilariously behind the times when it comes to Aurora.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

I like the global communist start, although I might be a bit biased.

What is the AWS server? I'm not familiar with it.

AWS stands for Amazon Web Services. They allow you to deploy instances of servers at the click of a button, amongst a million other things. I'm using a free tier server which is working well for this.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Lord Windy posted:

AWS stands for Amazon Web Services. They allow you to deploy instances of servers at the click of a button, amongst a million other things. I'm using a free tier server which is working well for this.

Cool. I'd be up for a multiplayer thing (should probably reinstall Aurora on my computer so I could have a clue what I'm doing).

Also, is there a general Aurora thread in the games section? Didn't see one when I looked quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Cool. I'd be up for a multiplayer thing (should probably reinstall Aurora on my computer so I could have a clue what I'm doing).

Also, is there a general Aurora thread in the games section? Didn't see one when I looked quickly.

Multiplayer Aurora is possible, and it is best to run it with a non player spacemaster and then X number of players. It is also quite slow - basically PBEM.

There is no general Aurora thread, BGreman's LP has sort of served that purpose between his informational updates and the general question and answer debates in thread.

• Locked thread