Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Shark Tower posted:

Some of the stuff removed makes no sense either. Like in previous rpg makers, you could set an event to do stuff depending on whether a number was equal to X, less than X, more than X, etc. With the current one, the only condition you can set is if a number is higher than X. Not if it's just X, not if it's less than X. Just X and above. If you want the other conditions, well you still can if you put in a little extra work. But that's just it. They made it MORE difficult to accomplish something that wasn't as convoluted in previous versions. Seriously who's bright idea was that?

It's still there, it's just under conditional branch now.

You don't need any ruby scripting to get it to work, you can just build something that sets the right event page and have it autorun.

It is a little bit of a pain it was removed from the side panel, but I guess they were trying to make it easier for new users. You don't really need ruby scripting, but it makes tasks easier to do without building a huge if...then chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

SystemLogoff posted:

It's still there, it's just under conditional branch now.

You don't need any ruby scripting to get it to work, you can just build something that sets the right event page and have it autorun.

It is a little bit of a pain it was removed from the side panel, but I guess they were trying to make it easier for new users. You don't really need ruby scripting, but it makes tasks easier to do without building a huge if...then chain.

Discovering Conditional Branch was awesome for me. I was having trouble making events until then.
Also, when I do finish my RPG, I am not gonna charge money for my first attempt. That would be bad of me.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Silegna posted:

Discovering Conditional Branch was awesome for me. I was having trouble making events until then.
Also, when I do finish my RPG, I am not gonna charge money for my first attempt. That would be bad of me.

*System Logoff kicks a folder with all his horrible RPG attempts under the stairs.

Believe me, you're not going to be happy with your first, or second...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

*System Logoff kicks a folder with all his horrible RPG attempts under the stairs.

Believe me, you're not going to be happy with your first, or second...

You're probably never going to be completely happy with what you make, but you're still going to love it in spite of all of its shittiness. It's like a child that way.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Being limited to the RTP is no excuse at all because VX Ace includes a character generator complete with face sets. So without any art skills whatsoever you can click randomize a few times and use that as your main hero instead of literally the default "Warrior" dude the program starts you with.

Silegna you should look into some scripts. I started from scratch with VX Ace back in March and I have a side-view, ATB Final Fantasy style battle system with fully animated characters. I can parallax map and set the parallax to animate. I've got custom sprited fonts, 6-frame walk animations, all kinds of stuff to add a nice coat of spit shine on the project. I'm not trying to brag because none of this is really my accomplishments, as I still honestly do not know a drat bit of Ruby. These scripts are basically copy-paste and mess with a little bit of code here or add a note to a character there to activate them. If you're willing to put in the effort to seek this stuff out and tweak it until it does what you want it to you can do some awesome things without knowing Ruby at all. Hell I had a Mode 7 script running for a while but I eventually scrapped it because it only worked with tileset maps and I'm a picky sperglord about tiles.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Oh hey, RPG Maker VX Ace is 75% off on Steam for the next seventeen hours.

E: There's a shitload of DLC for this. Any of it worthwhile?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 2, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh hey, I remember voting no on this game while it was in Greenlight, I'm still stunned it got through. And no surprise the developer spends more time arguing with people then improving his skills.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Jackard posted:

The music is decent enough, most of the graphic packs are all based on the default tilesets though, making it all look very samey.

The best ones might be the old school and the high fantasy packs. Maybe some of the battler-packs as well, depending how decent they look.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jackard posted:

Ive got a few of the music packs. Some of them are tolerable, some of them are pretty good. You can preview a few tracks here: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/resources

I know I've got Zonderland, The Simple Life, Blackheart Power and Nothing Battles.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

azren posted:

How long do you figure until he (she?) finds out about this thread and makes an account to gripe at us?

They seem more like the type that will hop on Twitter or Tumblr or something along those lines to complain.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Being limited to the RTP is no excuse at all because VX Ace includes a character generator complete with face sets. So without any art skills whatsoever you can click randomize a few times and use that as your main hero instead of literally the default "Warrior" dude the program starts you with.

Silegna you should look into some scripts. I started from scratch with VX Ace back in March and I have a side-view, ATB Final Fantasy style battle system with fully animated characters. I can parallax map and set the parallax to animate. I've got custom sprited fonts, 6-frame walk animations, all kinds of stuff to add a nice coat of spit shine on the project. I'm not trying to brag because none of this is really my accomplishments, as I still honestly do not know a drat bit of Ruby. These scripts are basically copy-paste and mess with a little bit of code here or add a note to a character there to activate them. If you're willing to put in the effort to seek this stuff out and tweak it until it does what you want it to you can do some awesome things without knowing Ruby at all. Hell I had a Mode 7 script running for a while but I eventually scrapped it because it only worked with tileset maps and I'm a picky sperglord about tiles.

I've actually been looking for a couple of scripts. I need something resmebling an Overdrive from FFX, a good side battle, and probably the way they show character models with text like in Fire Emblem. The side view one is easy enough, since that's the most requested script, but the other two I'm having issues finding.
Also, yes, I scrapped the...quite generic character sprites in favor of custom ones. Made a crapton of NPCs and PCs with that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Silegna posted:

I've actually been looking for a couple of scripts. I need something resmebling an Overdrive from FFX, a good side battle, and probably the way they show character models with text like in Fire Emblem. The side view one is easy enough, since that's the most requested script, but the other two I'm having issues finding.
Also, yes, I scrapped the...quite generic character sprites in favor of custom ones. Made a crapton of NPCs and PCs with that.

I recommend Galv's Message Busts for that. You set up a face sheet as normal but each face corresponds to a larger picture that displays instead when you choose that face. Like if your character portrait is saved as "hero1-2.png" you would select the second tile of the "hero1.png" face set.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Travis343 posted:

I recommend Galv's Message Busts for that. You set up a face sheet as normal but each face corresponds to a larger picture that displays instead when you choose that face. Like if your character portrait is saved as "hero1-2.png" you would select the second tile of the "hero1.png" face set.

Alright, got it all copied over, just need to figure out how to make the Busts now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress you guys all this talk made me just drop 50 bucks on VXA and some grab bag DLCs. I am not responsible with money! :arghfist:

Time to make it back with my own kickass RPG :c00lbutt:

EDIT: I JUST MADE A ONE SCREEN MAP WITH A FOREST AND A DUDE WALKING AROUND gently caress YEAH!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 2, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

gently caress you guys all this talk made me just drop 50 bucks on VXA and some grab bag DLCs. I am not responsible with money! :arghfist:

EDIT: I JUST MADE A ONE SCREEN MAP WITH A FOREST AND A DUDE WALKING AROUND gently caress YEAH!

Welcome to the dark side. In all seriousness, it's pretty fun to make your own game, even if it does turn out lovely.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Jackard posted:

What version would you recommend? What about the renpy program someone mentioned earlier? Seeing these people do such a terrible job is giving me an itch.

Well, definitely the latest (which is VX Ace.) For all the dumb, it's still got vast improvements over its predecessors. It's just taking a step back every few steps forward. Though I personally jumped from 2k3 straight to Ace, skipping over XP and VX, so I can't say if they're better or worse. I personally loathe the text display and default controls on XP though, and supposedly VX Ace is just VX but better somehow.

Renpy's nice, but what makes rpg maker easy to work with is that it gives you everything you need to get a dude running around in a forest right away, whereas you'd need to figure out how to code it in Renpy. Just like how Renpy gives you visual novel framework right off the bat, whereas you'd need to figure out how to code it in rpg maker. So really just depends what you wanna build.

SystemLogoff posted:

It is a little bit of a pain it was removed from the side panel, but I guess they were trying to make it easier for new users.

This is exactly what ticks me, because it's not easier at all, it just made it more convoluted to get what you want. Come on Enterbrain, the point of the editor is so that you DON'T have to code this crap!

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
For comparison's sake, VX didn't allow more than one tileset. Ever. Unless you wanted to jimmy the system with script use, so Ace made good on fixing that. VX also got rid of a few of the more loved eventing pieces, though nothing like XP did (why in hell would you remove facesets and the like? Ugh!)

Ace does have it's issues but Ruby isn't too hard to mess around with to get what you want done. I started just messing with numbers in scripts, then built my way up from there. I'm still nowhere near a scripter but I can fudge scripts to do what I want within reason - and I have no scripting ability whatsoever.

That said, there's a huge amount of scripts already created and more are being made every day, so there's that. You can also request scripts that aren't too involved and people will either point you in the right direction or make one up for you. I've found the community (in some forums) to be pretty supportive.

Graphics-wise, if you don't mind RTP style, there's a lot of edits out there to boost the look of your game (I love the RTP myself, as long as it's used well. Then again, I actually put effort into my mapping and make my own edits, so...)

You might want to check out the DS, DS+ and DS addons if you want something that's styled differently. The addons can be found in the ReStaff releases at rpgmakerweb.com (these are basically bits and pieces made to fit the DS style and given out for free to use. The people who release them were the ones who actually worked on the DS/DS+ tiles, so they fit pretty well. Also, there's a sci-fi release coming soon which is pretty nice.)

Music-wise, there are some great packs but there are some pretty bad ones too. If you want a free music pack that is pretty good, check this one out. It was made by the community as part of an event, and since the event had judges to pick the best music, it's of a good standard since the songs were hand-picked. There's some in there that are pretty awesome, actually. (Personally I love Mellow Darkness, Composed Molevolence, Visionary Villain and Royalty of Sin.)

(edit for clarification)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Feels good, doesn't it? I made a little town-cave-dungeon thing, and I'm way more proud of it than I have any right to be.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

azren posted:

Feels good, doesn't it? I made a little town-cave-dungeon thing, and I'm way more proud of it than I have any right to be.

There is something to be said for unraveling the tools and making something functional, no matter how basic.

poo poo, does anyone remember there was an rpg maker 3 for the ps2? I messed with that. I sucked for so long, but as a kid I actually made up to a two dungeon zombie rpg. With characters, temporarily allies, functional dungeons with bosses traps and loot, and cutscenes agonizingly typed out with the stupid controller. I was so drat proud of the initial camp scene, where it was overrun and rescued soldier joined your party in their rescue battles, and fighting the zombies inside the rest and heal building would allow you to use it again, and saving an npc out on the map opened up a shop.

The dialogue was stupid, the dungeon design entirely linear, and balance was stupidly easy. But gently caress I was proud of it. It was objectively terrible, but I was happy I made something.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

For comparison's sake, VX didn't allow more than one tileset. Ever. Unless you wanted to jimmy the system with script use, so Ace made good on fixing that. VX also got rid of a few of the more loved eventing pieces, though nothing like XP did (why in hell would you remove facesets and the like? Ugh!)

Ace does have it's issues but Ruby isn't too hard to mess around with to get what you want done. I started just messing with numbers in scripts, then built my way up from there. I'm still nowhere near a scripter but I can fudge scripts to do what I want within reason - and I have no scripting ability whatsoever.

That said, there's a huge amount of scripts already created and more are being made every day, so there's that. You can also request scripts that aren't too involved and people will either point you in the right direction or make one up for you. I've found the community (in some forums) to be pretty supportive.

Graphics-wise, if you don't mind RTP style, there's a lot of edits out there to boost the look of your game (I love the RTP myself, as long as it's used well. Then again, I actually put effort into my mapping and make my own edits, so...)

You might want to check out the DS, DS+ and DS addons if you want something that's styled differently. The addons can be found in the ReStaff releases at rpgmakerweb.com (these are basically bits and pieces made to fit the DS style and given out for free to use. The people who release them were the ones who actually worked on the DS/DS+ tiles, so they fit pretty well. Also, there's a sci-fi release coming soon which is pretty nice.)

Music-wise, there are some great packs but there are some pretty bad ones too. If you want a free music pack that is pretty good, check this one out. It was made by the community as part of an event, and since the event had judges to pick the best music, it's of a good standard since the songs were hand-picked. There's some in there that are pretty awesome, actually. (Personally I love Mellow Darkness, Composed Molevolence, Visionary Villain and Royalty of Sin.)

(edit for clarification)

I feel as if I'm doing something wrong. No battle script I use seems to work. At all. It just keeps the default battle style.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
While we're talking about RPG creator stuff, Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall has a really robust editor that lets you make your own 80's neon cyberpunk adventures.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
@Silegna
Make sure you paste the script above Main but below Materials. If it's pasted below Main Processes it'll be disabled (a good way to check for compatibility errors is to move scripts one-by-one to below Main and see if one of them is causing the problem).

Also, read the documentation in the script itself (most scripts have that now) and make sure that you have all the scripts that it recommends having (some scripts require others to run properly) as well as turning on any switches that might be needed (some allow for you to swap between battle styles). A lot of scripts require you to do some messing about in the actual engine to get them to work. Plug and Play scripts do exist, but even some of those will need you to do some Database work to get them to do what you want.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wales Grey posted:

While we're talking about RPG creator stuff, Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall has a really robust editor that lets you make your own 80's neon cyberpunk adventures.

Not to mention also being insanely cheap on Steam at the moment.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

@Silegna
Make sure you paste the script above Main but below Materials. If it's pasted below Main Processes it'll be disabled (a good way to check for compatibility errors is to move scripts one-by-one to below Main and see if one of them is causing the problem).

Also, read the documentation in the script itself (most scripts have that now) and make sure that you have all the scripts that it recommends having (some scripts require others to run properly) as well as turning on any switches that might be needed (some allow for you to swap between battle styles). A lot of scripts require you to do some messing about in the actual engine to get them to work. Plug and Play scripts do exist, but even some of those will need you to do some Database work to get them to do what you want.

All it said to do was Copy/Paste the script into Materials. It doesn't work when I do that. At all.
For reference, I'm trying to use RSSBSACE by Reedo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

Wait, create your own VN? Oh dear, I'm not gonna leave my house for a while, am I? Time to learn programming and make lovely games, guys! This can only end in greatness!

http://renpy.org/

Odds are that you've already played a few of their games before.

It's free and comes with a tutorial that sort of elaborates into exactly how versatile the tool actually is. Sunrider which is available on Steam for free, is a really decent example (even if groan-worthy at times) of how much you can twist the engine to suit your needs. It requires Python scripting, but honestly, it was so easy to get into I cannot really stop myself from recommending it, especially if you are making a simpler game that doesn't strictly need to be a tile-based RPG.

I am developing something currently in it, in fact, but I am not an artist, so I am just borrowing art from other games and the Internet to serve as proof of concept until it is done (or if I just scrap it altogether)

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Silegna posted:

All it said to do was Copy/Paste the script into Materials. It doesn't work when I do that. At all.
For reference, I'm trying to use RSSBSACE by Reedo.

I just gave it a go and it seems to work fine. Make sure you have the newest version and put it in the correct place (above other scripts in that area). Also, use a new save file, not an old one. You need to start a new game for it to work properly.

If it still doesn't work for you, try putting all battle-effecting scripts below the Main heading to see if they're affecting it in any way.

If it still doesn't work... Do you get an error when you go in to battle? It won't work in the Test battle, fyi, only in-game. If you get an error, copy an image of it and let the creator know so they can check it out.

Some scripts can be a bit fiddly. It helps when they have good documentation added (and I love those scripters who actually explain what they're doing in their scripts. It makes it so much easier to mess around with them!)

Renpy is good for visual novels. It's an easy program to get in to when you understand what you want from it, and there's been some really good games made with it, but I wouldn't actually use it for an RPG (same as I wouldn't use RM for an action-based game - though there are some that have managed to pull it off).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

"More importantly, our game features body-changing.
Consequently, it largely promotes trans issues."

I disagree. Just because a product contains gender-swapping does not automatically mean that it "promotes trans issues". Such a claim is equivalent to a claim that "Minstrel Shows feature African-Americans. Consequently, they largely promote racial equality." For a work to "promote trans issues", the work should deal strongly with the notion of alienation, likely with one's body, along with the search for and expresion of the true self. [I'm interpreting "promotes trans issues" to mean "supports the notion of a gender identity different from the one a person is born with as valid", rather than the meaningless "raises awareness" or the disgusting "Attempt to claim my fetish has some sort of moral high ground".]

Having a character's gender changed, against their will or without their express consent, does not "promote trans issues" in any sort of positive or meaningful fashion.

God drat, who posted this? Because this poo poo is going in the OP becuase it's such a beautiful smackdown.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 2, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Glad to see someone carry the torch! (I got bored)
So I'm assuming, the game does get worse, right? So far it's just immature and boring.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 2, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

That's the point: most RPG maker games, hell RPG maker itself, are simply perpetuating the clichés: nothing original will happen because JRPG fans simply like it this way. They're all trying to emulate their favorite SNES-era plots, nothing more.
There's the odd exception here and there like Last Scenario but this is what what RPG maker games usually boil down to. Basically, I doubt the authors are even interested in making a good story.

You can say the same about any kind of media, and it goes for pro level stuff as well as amateur hour poo poo like this.

Ramos posted:

Yeah, JRPGs are, when you get down to it, stories just delivered in a certain format. Unlike other formats, a la books and movies, there's no editors or revising going when a lot of these hit the market.

That's a weird comparison. Professionally made games are definitely edited and revised, and there are certainly "Victim of Xen" level books or movies as well, with the same level of editing and revision (likely none).

geri_khan posted:

My time with RPG Maker was weird. It's a lot of fun to mess around with, but I spent like 4 months arseing about with Ruby and never got any actual game making done. In that I have to admit this guy has me beat, at least he made something.

On the other hand, your title screen is more impressive than his entire game!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

This looks like it'll be fun. I saw this game in indie bundles a few times, but it looked too sketchy even though I was used to sometimes-dubious RPGMaker stuff.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

I just gave it a go and it seems to work fine. Make sure you have the newest version and put it in the correct place (above other scripts in that area). Also, use a new save file, not an old one. You need to start a new game for it to work properly.

If it still doesn't work for you, try putting all battle-effecting scripts below the Main heading to see if they're affecting it in any way.

If it still doesn't work... Do you get an error when you go in to battle? It won't work in the Test battle, fyi, only in-game. If you get an error, copy an image of it and let the creator know so they can check it out.

Some scripts can be a bit fiddly. It helps when they have good documentation added (and I love those scripters who actually explain what they're doing in their scripts. It makes it so much easier to mess around with them!)

Renpy is good for visual novels. It's an easy program to get in to when you understand what you want from it, and there's been some really good games made with it, but I wouldn't actually use it for an RPG (same as I wouldn't use RM for an action-based game - though there are some that have managed to pull it off).

Wait. Test battle will not work with scripts on RPGVXAce? It did for VX...huh. I just tested it in a new save file, and you're right. Huh, thanks for the help. Now I just need to get some monster sprites that look good with side battle.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
No - some do, others don't. In this case, the script in question won't work in the Test Battle option in the database. I know of more than a handful that will work in the Test Battle option - including some side battle/animated battler ones. But yeah, this particular script won't work in the database's test battle option.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Testekill posted:

God drat, who posted this? Because this poo poo is going in the OP becuase it's such a beautiful smackdown.

Go right ahead. I don't think it's "beautiful" or even really a terribly good argument, but the developer didn't address the definition of "elements of a work that supports/promotes trans issues" I constructed in their attempt at rebuttal. Instead they sort of shuffled back with a "woah, this game isn't about trans issues, it's about gender issues!" retraction, along with something about how the writer of some review is apparently lying about forum posts?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vilkacis posted:

That's a weird comparison. Professionally made games are definitely edited and revised, and there are certainly "Victim of Xen" level books or movies as well, with the same level of editing and revision (likely none).

Yeah, looking back, I'm not sure what I was intending to say there. Most market products get an editor of some sort, so maybe it's just individual projects just can always use an editor to fix up some of the uglier stuff?

Second opinions are a beautiful thing.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Ideally, you should always run a finished product (or even a demo) by a few testers to see what works and what doesn't. I get the feeling that the creator didn't bother with this very important rule. At all. Ever.

Or, if they did, it was by testers who either didn't give a poo poo about the game, wanted to see it fail or had no experience playing any other game ever. Or all of the above.

"Test yo poo poo, brah! Then test it again. Then get a 5 year old to test it for you. And once last time, for luck."
It's the #1 rule of game creation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Or it got tested in a circlejerky RPG maker community where everyone makes their own poo poo and doesn't want to point flaws. Deviantart syndrome.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

No - some do, others don't. In this case, the script in question won't work in the Test Battle option in the database. I know of more than a handful that will work in the Test Battle option - including some side battle/animated battler ones. But yeah, this particular script won't work in the database's test battle option.

Yeah, I feel like an idiot for just assuming that it didn't work. Test battle normally works though, so I guess I'm not a total idiot. :doh:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Ah, yes, the ol' "I scratch your back, you scratch mine, but let's not actually scratch in the right spots and leave the itches where they are, thus null and voiding all scratches" routine. Sadly, quite common.

What's the use in having someone test if they're not going to tell you the truth about whether parts of your game suck or not? None.

Sadly, these kinds of people don't learn better and continue to do the same old routine until they eventually get sick of people outside of the circle telling them their game sucks or get kicked out of the group for some stupid and asinine reason, and thus look in another place for a new group (and then get smacked in the face by people who actually give proper critique, causing them to go into shock over the horror that their game isn't perfect.)

In this case they either learn to shape up and take real critique (thus getting better and actually becoming decent creators!!!) or ship out and complain to any half-wit that listens about how x community is full of elitist assholes.

...I may have run into this type quite a bit. The ones that stalk you afterwards are 'so much' fun. :sigh:

@Silegna
It pays to read the thread the script was posted in if you found it in a forum, because it usually has instances of bug reports and how to fix. In this case, the first place I found a link to it had a person reporting about the test play issue, so I knew that was something that might have been the problem. Glad you got it sorted though!

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 2, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

silversatyr posted:

Ah, yes, the ol' "I scratch your back, you scratch mine, but let's not actually scratch in the right spots and leave the itches where they are, thus null and voiding all scratches" routine. Sadly, quite common.

What's the use in having someone test if they're not going to tell you the truth about whether parts of your game suck or not? None.

Sadly, these kinds of people don't learn better and continue to do the same old routine until they eventually get sick of people outside of the circle telling them their game sucks or get kicked out of the group for some stupid and asinine reason, and thus look in another place for a new group (and then get smacked in the face by people who actually give proper critique, causing them to go into shock over the horror that their game isn't perfect.)

In this case they either learn to shape up and take real critique (thus getting better and actually becoming decent creators!!!) or ship out and complain to any half-wit that listens about how x community is full of elitist assholes.

...I may have run into this type quite a bit. The ones that stalk you afterwards are 'so much' fun. :sigh:

@Silegna
It pays to read the thread the script was posted in if you found it in a forum, because it usually has instances of bug reports and how to fix. In this case, the first place I found a link to it had a person reporting about the test play issue, so I knew that was something that might have been the problem. Glad you got it sorted though!

I did read the thread...just somehow skimmed over that bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm using Victor Sant's scripts for the battle system. It requires at least three scripts and a fuckload of custom graphics but it is really versatile and customizable as hell. Victor himself is a very...prickly individual but his scripts are really good once you get them figured out.

• Locked thread