Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
My top 100 pun thread in TFR seems to please and amuse people in TFR, but it's odd to think that Ralp might be very out of touch with how adults like to have a good time online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
if anyone wants to find the thread, it was in gbs, but it might be in gas chamber.

I.N.R.I

I.N.R.I posted:

I actually made the poll about ralp in GBS a while back and i think about 70% of people wanted him to go away.

this thread I mean.

Oppenheimer

by Smythe
Every time I've seen a funny post with the probation message recently its been by ralp

Marketed Gum

I do not post but I read the all of the good forums (fyad, phiz, podcasts and wrestling obv.) because they are funny, and I enjoy them.

Ralp's actions have repeatedly made them less enjoyable to me and I would rather the good posters be free to post at their will.

absolutely anything

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
My constructive administrator criticism/feedback, as an outside party to all of this, is that Ralp seems to be fairly humorless and bad, and an active deterrent to The Something Awful Forums being humorous and good.

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keg posted:

My top 100 pun thread in TFR seems to please and amuse people in TFR, but it's odd to think that Ralp might be very out of touch with how adults like to have a good time online.

I'm glad about the funny threads :) I'm not glad about anyone making GBS threads up a serious thread and then whining and crying about getting a week off because it was all a joke, that's all.

Surprisingly Dope

Lope burgs again

Salt Fish posted:

My constructive feedback is that I think the probation system was a step backwards and that the old system of taking no feedback ever and banning people for any rule infraction was way better. Also I've never seen a group of people as desparately whiny as the posters on the last few pages which I only have read because of my previous suggestion that I wanted to make because who in their right mind would spend time reading the suggestion forum unless they actually had a suggestion to make much less complaining that someone got a probation for a week for calling a moderator gay I mean think about it that is the mildest punishment ever to the point that it is almost absurd to call it a punishment.

I agree.

lesbian baphomet

The people who got a week off are not actually whining or crying. Because believe it or not, they can't even post at all.

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Ralp, it is my feedback that it was bad of you to probate Arf, and Big Anime Fan, and Koos et al. I am admittedly biased because I like them and think that they are good posters. It was also over the top to ban Dr. Spiderman for calling you a fag.

You claim to want to make the forums better, but I do not believe that these probations and bans achieve that. Probating them did not make the thread better, it didn't make the forums better, and it didn't make anybody happy. Why must you hurt the ones you love, Ralp?

Keg

Ralp posted:

I'm glad about the funny threads :) I'm not glad about anyone making GBS threads up a serious thread and then whining and crying about getting a week off because it was all a joke, that's all.

I wish nobody would ruin the good time you have throwing hissy fits every two weeks and that the only criticism you get from now on is kisses on the face instead of mean criticism that makes everybody laugh.

sub supau

Ralp posted:

Have you considered easing off even a tiny bit? Like it seems that the mods that people like and respect are the ones who treat conversations as conversations and posters as people, not the ones that probate for jokes.

Also has there been any of the actual feedback, GBS IKs aside, that you've actually acknowledged and taken on board? Because I feel like if there was any sense you took feedback seriously people might stop calling you a fag and telling you to get out.

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kansas City Royals posted:

Ralp, it is my feedback that it was bad of you to probate Arf, and Big Anime Fan, and Koos et al. I am admittedly biased because I like them and think that they are good posters. It was also over the top to ban Dr. Spiderman for calling you a fag.

You claim to want to make the forums better, but I do not believe that these probations and bans achieve that. Probating them did not make the thread better, it didn't make the forums better, and it didn't make anybody happy. Why must you hurt the ones you love, Ralp?

Yeah, I think that's definitely valid to ask! My hope is that it will make the forums better in the long term. If people are discouraged from (or better, simply politely agree not to) making GBS threads up QCS threads, then those sort of threads will be better in the future, and I think probating your or my favorite poster for a few days to achieve that is maybe unfortunate, but insignificant in the long run, and a fair price to pay. This applies to any forum but imo especially to QCS since the one and only point of this forum is to make the other forums better, in the long term.

Gaspar Lewis

by Lowtax

I.N.R.I posted:

I actually made the poll about ralp in GBS a while back and i think about 70% of people wanted him to go away.

Can we still vote? Because I would vote for him to "F" off.

Dexters Secret

Ralp posted:

Yeah, I think that's definitely valid to ask! My hope is that it will make the forums better in the long term. If people are discouraged from (or better, simply politely agree not to) making GBS threads up QCS threads, then those sort of threads will be better in the future, and I think probating your or my favorite poster for a few days to achieve that is maybe unfortunate, but insignificant in the long run, and a fair price to pay. This applies to any forum but imo especially to QCS since the one and only point of this forum is to make the other forums better, in the long term.

Ralp, this isn't the first time you've done this in QCS. it hasn't worked then and it isn't working now. in fact, it's working even less than before

Kylra

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It seems pretty easy to at least attempt to be on topic with the jokes.

As vaguely amusing as this is I think the punishments were still excessive.

This one seems legit though and I think you should at least rescind this probation even though it is something you don't like:

qnqnx posted:

My mod feedback: close QCS if you're too much of a baby to accept that the mod and admin team is hosed up and most probations and bans here are pure bullshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I think people should at least be allowed to be mad about moderator actions in this, the mod feedback thread.

E: Eh, I guess there's the post above that one, but still. I think this was too much.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 11, 2014

Sex Robot

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Everyone thinks of changing the forums,

but no one thinks of getting the gently caress out when people really want you to get the gently caress out.

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB

Ralp posted:

It seems like the group of posters you tend to ban and probate most often don't "poo poo up" QCS threads, as much as they "poo poo up" your QCS threads in particular. It doesn't look like the approach you've been taking with them over the past year has been affecting any kind of positive change in any way.

I would think that a better way to keep a group of people from making fun of you in your threads would be to cultivate some good will and then ask them not to do certain things. If Garbage Day asked a bunch of people in FYAD not to say jokes in a particular thread most would probably listen, and nobody would really be upset if anybody who didn't got probated or banned. Have you considered trying that? It would be a gradual process, but I think that a really good place to start would be to unban Dr. Spiderman as a show of good faith.

PuTTY riot
Swsp is a good mod. Thanks for asking, OP!

syscall girl

by FactsAreUseless
I think there has been some overreaction from the otherwise superb somethingawful forums internet moderation and administration team at this time.

Not going to name names

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAF8D0ugyVk

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kansas City Royals posted:

It seems like the group of posters you tend to ban and probate most often don't "poo poo up" QCS threads, as much as they "poo poo up" your QCS threads in particular. It doesn't look like the approach you've been taking with them over the past year has been affecting any kind of positive change in any way.

I would think that a better way to keep a group of people from making fun of you in your threads would be to cultivate some good will and then ask them not to do certain things. If Garbage Day asked a bunch of people in FYAD not to say jokes in a particular thread most would probably listen, and nobody would really be upset if anybody who didn't got probated or banned. Have you considered trying that? It would be a gradual process, but I think that a really good place to start would be to unban Dr. Spiderman as a show of good faith.

It really seems like the title of the thread, plus the explanation in the OP, and asking again in the thread is more than enough for anyone who's at all interested in cooperating. At that point I don't think asking politely a fourth time is going to accomplish anything. But I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, sure.

Detroit_Dogg
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Ralp posted:

It really seems like the title of the thread, plus the explanation in the OP, and asking again in the thread is more than enough for anyone who's at all interested in cooperating. At that point I don't think asking politely a fourth time is going to accomplish anything. But I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, sure.

Maybe don't get all bent out of shape when funny posters do things that don't fall under your weird rules that have never worked and are continuing to not work?

El Spider

the probations are bad but i dont disagree that most of the qcs crew is annoying to read and gbs. it would be easier to communicate who you think is a fag if you guys stopped smelling each others farts and saying every unjust probation is because of a joke

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Unbanning him was honorable, and I thank you Ralp. I will not say anything bad in this thread.

here comes cask

Ralp posted:

You are actively detrimental to a positive Posting Experience. To paraphrase Randbrick, someone who left because this place got mega gay: your very presence degrades the aesthetic, thins truth, and renders the world bland and without artistic tone and value.

right arm

Keg posted:

your thread is good, ralp is not good

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
Ralp, please answer my question. It really seems like these probations are based more on how slighted you feel than on any other factor.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

And why is ArfJason probated for a week for calling out a post that's worthless by your own standards? Is lovely, lovely non-feedback OK if it's about how sexy Ralp is? Is Ralp the only one with the right to disparage it?

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ralp, please answer my question. It really seems like these probations are based more on how personally slighted you are than on any other factor.

There's only three sentences in the OP and he came in and did the exact opposite.

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

Ralp posted:

There's only three sentences in the OP and he came in and did the exact opposite.
It was insulting, touché. On the other hand, it seems weird to punish that kind of thing on Something Awful of all places. Insults are kind of what goons generally do.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 11, 2014

Izumi Konata

by Ralp

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ralp, please answer my question. It really seems like these probations are based more on how slighted you feel than on any other factor.

allow me. value and worth are abstract concepts holding subjectively desirable properties. to value something determines the price you'd offer in exchange, and an esteemed object of worth would have to provide greater foreseeable returns for you to consider an exchange for your valued object.

rich people buy stupid poo poo all the time, it's a given. money cannot buy power, it can only be used to exercise it. true power is in knowing, not explaining.

i respect a leader with integrity, who in the face of adversity rises up, and does what is right even when it is not profitable.

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Izumi Konata posted:

allow me. value and worth are abstract concepts holding subjectively desirable properties. to value something determines the price you'd offer in exchange, and an esteemed object of worth would have to provide greater foreseeable returns for you to consider an exchange for your valued object.

rich people buy stupid poo poo all the time, it's a given. money cannot buy power, it can only be used to exercise it. true power is in knowing, not explaining.

i respect a leader with integrity, who in the face of adversity rises up, and does what is right even when it is not profitable.

You really are an incredibly bad poster though and this post has convinced me to significantly reduce arfjason's punishment.

Izumi Konata

by Ralp
this is why i respect you

SmokaDustbowl

by vyelkin
The whole first page is some pretty good feedback.

Plutonis

The Koos prob was the most incomprehensible of them all because he was just being a supportive and kind person giving good advice.

Dexters Secret

Ralp posted:

You really are an incredibly bad poster though and this post has convinced me to significantly reduce arfjason's punishment.

So people make reasoned arguments why you should do a thing and you don't do it, but a guy you don't like is obviously mocking you so you do it? :wtc:

3 days is still too much tbqh.

Torka

wasn't ralp fairly well liked in fyad at some point, what happened

pram
yes hes a beloved fyad superstar

quite the fucker

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

pram posted:

yes hes a beloved fyad superstar

to be fair almost everything ralp's hated for is stuff his admin poewrs allow him to do, so fyad had no way of knowing

Shirkelton

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

absolutely anything posted:

My constructive administrator criticism/feedback, as an outside party to all of this, is that Ralp seems to be fairly humorless and bad, and an active deterrent to The Something Awful Forums being humorous and good.

Hm. I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun

by Reene

Ralp posted:

I enjoy the way the forums are being moderated, only I think they could be improved by doing...less. If you were to do less, fewer posts, fewer probations, fewer rules, I think it would have a beneficial impact on the forums at large in the long term

Edit: or maybe if you didn't post at all? and stopped moderating? that would be a definite improvement I think.

• Locked thread