Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Other than Chris Ryall being a weird-o IDW is a pretty great company and this means Top Shelf is gonna stick around for so I have no problem with it. It'll probably lead to some more awesome giant hardcovers on my shelves so double awesome. Are they still #4? With the loss of Star Wars at DH and this gain at IDW it seems like they're bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've considered IDW bigger than Dark Horse for a while. Hell, at this point, BOOM! and Dynamite might be above DH.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Other than Chris Ryall being a weird-o IDW is a pretty great company and this means Top Shelf is gonna stick around for so I have no problem with it. It'll probably lead to some more awesome giant hardcovers on my shelves so double awesome. Are they still #4? With the loss of Star Wars at DH and this gain at IDW it seems like they're bigger.

Dark Horse was ahead of Image?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

IDW is just a weird publisher to me, they've got those great artist collections and are publishing Corto Maltese now but 90% of their output seems to be Star Trek x My Little Pony x pretty much every single 80's franchise possible.

to be fair Transformers vs. GI Joe is one of the best monthly comics being published.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Dark Horse was ahead of Image?

For some reason I thought DH was still big. Don't know how I got my wires crossed like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

For some reason I thought DH was still big. Don't know how I got my wires crossed like that.

i mean they've still got Hellboy which feels like a pretty solid property to me. do Aliens/Predator comics still sell?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean they've still got Hellboy which feels like a pretty solid property to me. do Aliens/Predator comics still sell?

Not at any spectacular numbers. The current quality of the books makes it pretty obvious they're being published just to maintain the license.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Conveniently, Comichron keeps track of all of this. Just going to November, their most recent numbers, we have Image getting about double the dollar share of IDW in singles (8.73% and 4.30%, respectively), and even more than that in TPB/graphic novel sales (11.67% and 4.39%) putting that at 3rd and 4th place on both lists. Top Shelf gets 0.12% of TPB/GN sales dollars, so this buyout won't change anything in that regard. There's actually more people buying Archie trades than Top Shelf. Dark Horse is 5th and Dynamite is 6th on both of those lists.

Granted, this is all direct market sales, but I doubt bookstore/Amazon sales are making a massive change in any of those figures.

Somewhat off topic, but Marvel holds 7% of the market over DC despite releasing 19 fewer books that month.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Is Fables still going? How has it gone in terms of quality? I fell off somewhere around volume 8 I think, and I seem to recall hearing it got bad after that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Weird question but in Injustice 15, Supes talks about how the blood of Ollie and Ray are on Batman's hands. Who the hell is Ray?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ray Palmer?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Is Fables still going? How has it gone in terms of quality? I fell off somewhere around volume 8 I think, and I seem to recall hearing it got bad after that.
It's on its last arc now, it's been poo poo for quite some time. There was a momentary flash of brilliance in the Fisher Price King (that title alone, c'mon) story but then it went back to being poo poo for the finale.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ray Palmer?

I thought that too, but he's never made an appearance to my knowledge.

The only deaths I can recall offhand are :
Ollie
Commissioner Gordon
Nightwing
Captain Atom (sorta)
Martian Manhunter (sorta)
Guy Gardner
(misc shitton of Green Lanterns)
Ganthet
Ragman
Bullock
Jason Blood

Most of those wouldn't be known to WW, since she's been in a magic coma since the arctic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bet someone mixed up Ray Palmer with Captain Atom.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's kinda what I figured as well.

Weird, but eh, not really surprising when the dude who's been writing it for 3 years bails and a new guy starts writing. He's not gonna nail every detail from the first year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, I already was really iffy on even picking up any post-Taylor issues, this ain't exactly boosting my confidence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lots of places are saying that if you didn't know the author changed you wouldn't notice it.

This one's an editor error anyway. If DC even has anymore of those.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Honestly it's not that big of a deal, I was just left wondering "What the gently caress?" because I've been reading since it started.

Besides, next week seems to be a slobber knocker :bahgawd:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look guys, writers have busy lives and I'm not sure when you expect him to read like 37 whole issues of a series before writing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Look guys, writers have busy lives and I'm not sure when you expect him to read like 37 whole issues of a series before writing it.

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Did the forums change or could you always see the "(X number of users are browsing)" link next to the forum name?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Always.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

:syoon: Goddamn Image Comics :syoon:

http://multiversitycomics.com/news/image-expo-the-keynote-speech-presentation-liveblog-is-here/
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58317
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58319

Excited as hell for everything not written by McFarlane, Brian Wood or James Robinson, but especially for the new Graham & friends project - http://www.comicsandcola.com/2015/01/emma-rios-and-brandon-graham-enlist.html

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Image posted:

BFF’s Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder are also announcing a new project! The book is called “A.D.” for “After Death”, and features Lemire on art. That’s a hell of a pairing, and something we’re very excited for. It tells the story of what happens when a cure for death is discovered. Too cool. It also appears to be an original graphic novel, which I love to see.

:dance:

Hell's yea!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everything in that announcement sounds awesome except for Spawn because who gives a gently caress about Spawn in 2015.

Most excited to see Steve Skroce back in comics, I love that dude.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

McFarlane is so loving dense. Liefeld has realized that his time has gone and he has been giving his characters to talented people for several years now; meanwhile that dunce is announcing Paul Jenkins as hot new author of Spawn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fatherboxx posted:

McFarlane is so loving dense. Liefeld has realized that his time has gone and he has been giving his characters to talented people for several years now; meanwhile that dunce is announcing Paul Jenkins as hot new author of Spawn.

He swears a new Spawn movie is coming and that A-List talent is involved.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rhyno posted:

He swears a new Spawn movie is coming and that A-List talent is involved.

I remember him heavily implying that Jamie Foxx was signed on

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Island is straight up my dream book I've always wanted to exist.

This year feels like the Image that was hyped up a few years back.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Skottie Young's new book seems super therapeutic for him after years of Wizard of Oz comics and cutesy baby variant covers so I'm excited to see what he does with that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fatherboxx posted:

Paul Jenkins can be good, see his Hellblazer run. However that was a long time ago and his recent output has not been that great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fatherboxx posted:

Paul Jenkins has plenty of experience with over-powered superheroes from yesteryear that everybody forgot about.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We should have an Image thread, I honestly cannot keep track of all their books. I'd make it myself, but I'm totally clueless.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

We should have an Image thread, I honestly cannot keep track of all their books. I'd make it myself, but I'm totally clueless.

We have that. It just shares it with all the other indie publishers though Image is the predominant one.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463667

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I know that, that's not what I mean.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Paper Girls :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

I remember him heavily implying that Jamie Foxx was signed on

He's been implying a major star was involved for like 6 years now. I don't see Fox doing it now.

bobkatt013 posted:

Paul Jenkins can be good, see his Hellblazer run. However that was a long time ago and his recent output has not been that great.

I loving love his HB run but everything Jenks has written in the last decade has been the definition of lackluster.

Was Taters posted:

Paper Girls :)

I'm so excited for this one.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rhyno posted:

He's been implying a major star was involved for like 6 years now. I don't see Fox doing it now.

He'd be lucky to go DTV starring Cuba Gooding Jr at this point.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dacap posted:

He'd be lucky to go DTV starring Cuba Gooding Jr at this point.

Maybe a cable only badly animated cartoon series guess starring Pamela Anderson o wai....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Island looks super good. I'm also exited for Plutona, D.A., and pretty much every other book after 'em on the multiversity list. More Carla Speed McNeil! and way more Emma Rios!! Phonogram, Paper Girls, Darwin Cooke!

Yeah, if those books are as good as they sound Image is gonna have one hell of a year.

• Locked thread