Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like that these hellworld scenes are happening in real time so anyone nearby would obviously see Faust standing there talking to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I like that these hellworld scenes are happening in real time so anyone nearby would obviously see Faust standing there talking to nothing.

Crap! It's here! Rekill it!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Party Bug posted:

Yes, I remember the blow.
(Yeah, but what about the pizza?)

From the sound of it, Hog probably goes for whatever you don't.

So when do we get to the calling forth of Greek spirits and ruining the economies of nations via hyperinflation?

voting for Gamble.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

don't gamble

Next thing you know you end up in prison!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We're a soul gambler! Let it ride!

This would be so much fun to play as an attorney, if it were better written. :allears:

Well, at least as an attorney who specializes in contracts. I don't know how great I'd be at wrangling the fine print...

eta: Oooh, or as a banker. The first thing I thought of was getting a whole pool of souls together and then securitizing them into tranches, selling only the lowest tranches and keeping the best rated ones for ourselves so we never need to use our own soul for anything.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 4, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Reminds me of the time in D&D we finally got a wish spell.

9 single spaced double-sided handwritten notebook pages later, the DM just goes, "Okay, you can stop. I don't think the wish will break the game. You got it. No, seriously, stop writing..."

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

:siren: :parrot: IT'S HAPPENING :parrot: :siren:

I have these three plastic cups. I'll place a stone inside one of them.
WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE!?
Oh, I get it. You will shuffle the cups...and I'll have to guess where the stone is.
That's right! Let's make this a best-of-three game, so our chances are even. The winner gets all the soul of the loser!
All of it? Isn't that bit too much?
I need all of your soul to get out of here. I won't bet for less than that.
this game is known for being easily cheatable.
Cheating is part of the game. That's true. That's why discovering someone cheating is also part of the game. If you are caught cheating...you lose the bet. Are you ready to begin?

He placed the stone in one of the cups, turned down and began to shuffle them. He was too good. I couldn't follow his moves. I would have to guess.

Ok...what cup is the stone in?

This one.

He lifted the cup and the stone was there.
It seems luck is on your side. If you guess it right again, you win.

Again, he put the stone in one of the cups, turnied it down and began to shuffle them with very fast movements.

If you guess it right, you win. Now...which cup is the stone in?

Not this one.

He lifted the cup and the stone...wasn't there.

Last round.

Once again, he shuffled the cups.

Now it's all or nothing. Where is the stone?

Right beside me there was a stone very similiar to the one he put in the cup. I thought I could hide it between my fingers...and slip it into one of the cups. If he found out, I would lose the bet.

Seriously, it's not like we have any reason not to.

Have you chosen one?
It's the one in the center.

He lifted the cup. The stone I placed was there.

It can't be! This is impossible! You cheated!
Oh yeah...and how do you know that? Did you cheat first?
Because...oh...#@$%%26*
Sorry.

When he opened his eyes, they were no longer the eyes of a man. They were empty. Blank. Soulless.

AWWWW YEAAAH. Someone get me a saxophone 'cause I got TOO MUCH SOUL.
Tell me!

Quickly the pain climbed by my arm and spread through my whole body.

AHHH!
[
It wasn't a common pain. I felt as if my should itself was burning!
Oh god it really is too much soul, maybe just an electric guitar instead.

Your body isn't prepared to obtain a stranger's soul.
AHHH!
Souls are something very unique. Compared to yours, this man's soul isn't good at all. His soul will corrupt yours.
How do I stop this? AHHH!
You can't just stop it. Your soul will not withstand the shock and will consume itself.

If really felt that his soul was crashing against mine. It was a violent and destructive soul.

Now it is only a matter of time. Maybe if you become more charismatic.
That doesn't make...AHHH! Sense!

Yeah, now you can help me. Great.

It was impossible to think straight, I could think only on expelling that evil soul! Eject his soul...yes! It was obvious.

So, do you want to give away that awesome chunk of soul we just got, or man up and deal with the pain?

edit: AHHH!

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 5, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress you, ghost me! I won this soul, fair and square!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's basically like using your souls to level up so do that. Just make sure to not level dex.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bullshit, dex lets you use bows and just saved our rear end.

gently caress that, what else is on the menu?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
God no, don't take that offer! If half of our soul is gone there'll be even less of us to resist that stranger's soul!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Securitize the other dude's soul and give it to a holding company in the Caymans!

(Don't take the offer!)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 5, 2015

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
I don't trust you, not taking that offer.

e: Also, the reflex says "For half of YOUR soul". And in the past he has said that your soul is unique, so he does distinguish between your soul and the stranger's soul.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Don't do it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Tough it out!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Party Bug posted:

It can't be! This is impossible! You cheated!
Oh yeah...and how do you know that? Did you cheat first?
Because...oh...#@$%%26*
Sorry.

This is an incredibly stupid exchange. The guy running the game would know you cheated because he's moving the cups. It's not like it's somehow confusing to him where the stone would be.

And a better way to portray it is eminently obvious: simply lift up the other cups. The number of stones in the game makes it clear who cheated. And if both players cheated, as in this case, Faust wins because there is no evidence of cheating on either side.

Keep the dumb guy's soul.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drop his soul like a sack of rotten potatoes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I was playing earlier and apparently there are other ways this can stupidly resolve too. I think there's one where Faust gets mad and knocks over all three cups at once to reveal no stone under any of them.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

gently caress you, ghost me! I won this soul, fair and square!

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

AHHHHH!!!!!

I felt a pain threshold, then felt nothing. In the blink of an eye, nothing else mattered. The terrible pain. The fact that I was imprissoned. Nothing else mattered.

I had lost all my soul.
If you thought this game wasn't bad before, here's just a little bit of a gently caress you. All those times you gambled and sold bits of your soul? Doesn't matter, because it's going to 0 anyway. No bigs.

:allears:

The cell door opened and I heard a pretty familiar voice.

Faust! You are exactly in the state I needed you to be!
Honestly he's about as dumb as he was before.
Soulless! Hahaha! Come with me.

I didn't argue. Why should I? It only seemed natural to obey and be guided.

...Yes.
Let's go. We have preperations to make.

It's alright honey, he's leaving with me.
You are not going anywhere!
How dare you? Wait a minute. There is something different about you. You are not under my spell.
I'm not as weak as your other slaves and you know that.
...So it is you...

I made this next part a gif so you could appreciate it:

:magical:

The old woman fell to the ground.

That will hold her for some time.
drat, boy. You lost all your soul. It doesn't matter now...come with me, boy.

...homeless and addicts were using the building as shelter. He took me through a door then scribbled some kind of drawing on the floor...and took me to an isolated room.

I don't have much time...so pay attention. You need to get away of this country as soon as possible.
drat! The way you look right now, you won't get very far.

The demon appeared. Not in the form of the reflection of the police officer, but in the form is a skull.

Instead of getting a milquetoast ghost, this guy got an awesome :metal: skeleton. We got boned.

Your location will be even more obvious to her now!

The demon seemed more developed than mine. It had opinions. It advised.

I locked the place. Also, right now, she has bigger concerns. I need you to recover his soul.
It will cost you dearly. You know the price. 50% of your soul...
To recover...10% of his soul. Yeah, I know that. It's just a little bit, but it should be enough.
It is risky. You've never been left with so little of your soul before.
I know, but we have no choice.
So shall it be!

The comfort of apathy vanished. I didn't recover soul enough to feel good...just enough for me to care about me and what was happening.

How do you feel, boy?
Bad. Really bad.
Great. That's a good sign. This this envelope. Here's a fake passport with your photo and a ticket to Panama.
Don't do it, it's entrapment! HE HAS TO TELL YOU HE'S A COP.
Panama?
Yes, the fight is tomorrow morning. You'll be safe there. I left a snack for you in the corner. Eat, sleep, and go to the airport as soon as the sun rises.
Why are you helping me?
You can't let her find you. Your life is not the only one at stake here. I have to go now...
Wait a second!

Don't worry about that, boy. Just be careful. Don't get caught!
I'll try.

And I stood there alone with my thoughts. I decided to do what the police officer said. To eat, sleep, and go straight to the airport.

I had only the envelope and my clothes with me.

I came to check-in for the flight AZ666.
Yeah that just happened.
Ah yes...the fligh to Panama city with a stop in Dublin.
Dublin? That's a pretty strange stop for a flight to Panama, isn't it?
hold on lemme take a look at my map.

what

WHAT THE gently caress

Several airports are closed because of bad weather. It's a rather unpleasent coincidence, but Dublin is currently one of the few airports with good weather conditions. If you prefer, we can change your ticket...so you can look for a better flight.
...No. No need to change anything.

I couldn't afford to wait. The plan was to leave the country. Ireland or Panama, the important thing was to escape. Far from the old woman. Far from the Madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
yes i know he could live in Europe or some bullshit but this is still inexcusable

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I choose to assume, for no reason, that the layover is in Dublin, Ohio.

For my sanity.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Wait, are you absolutely railroaded into losing all of your soul, or can you avoid it? Why even bother with every previous choice, if that's the case?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You know, at first I was sort of liking this game.

It's only going to get worse, isn't it? :sigh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Party Bug posted:

All those times you gambled and sold bits of your soul? Doesn't matter, because it's going to 0 anyway. No bigs.

:allears:

So you're saying the only way to win... is not to play the game... I'll raise you 2% of my soul.

Party Bug posted:

Don't do it, it's entrapment! HE HAS TO TELL YOU HE'S A COP.

:eng101: You might actually be able to succeed an entrapment defense if he arrested you after this. Entrapment is a defense when you commit a crime that you would not have ever committed because of the plan that a government agent cajoled you to go along with. Proving that is hella hard, though, especially if you've engaged in crimes similar to the crime you're claiming you've been entrapped into (e.g. a drug dealer with an ongoing criminal enterprise and a rap sheet saying he was entrapped because an undercover cop approached him and offered to sell/buy drugs is going to have his entrapment defense fail 101 times out of 100). In this case using the fake passport directly originates with the cop, Faust is not in a right state of mind, and Faust would never have even thought about obtaining, much less using, a fake passport to flee the country but for the cop telling him he had to do so to protect his life.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
You can in fact avoid it. Taking the offer only gives away what you won from the bet, since succeeding gives you double your soul. If you refuse to take the offer... Well. As you see.

Basically, the game likes hitting you in the face if you don't go along with what the plot tells you to do.

Crepuscule Adepte fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 11, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

If you thought this game wasn't bad before, here's just a little bit of a gently caress you. All those times you gambled and sold bits of your soul? Doesn't matter, because it's going to 0 anyway. No bigs.

I figured some BS like this would come up, which is why I wanted to go full Spendthrift.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

You can in fact avoid it. Taking the offer only gives away what you won from the bet, since succeeding gives you double your soul. If you refuse to take the offer... Well. As you see.

Basically, the game likes hitting you in the face if you don't go along with what the plot tells you to do.

So basically we just made the wrong choice? I guess that's fine, though having us lose all our soul instantly is bs.

Man that gunshot though :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

habeasdorkus posted:

So you're saying the only way to win... is not to play the game... I'll raise you 2% of my soul.

Nailed it from the start. :smug:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can't wait to see what kind of amazing Irish bullshit is in our way next time.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I work as an air travel agent and that is not the weirdest stopover I've ever seen.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I work as an air travel agent and that is not the weirdest stopover I've ever seen.

well you cant just leave us with that :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I've seen flights from Raleigh go through Minneapolis to reach Boston, so this is only a magnitude greater in madness.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zyla posted:

well you cant just leave us with that :colbert:

It was a customer who was going to Tel Aviv from Los Angeles by way of Moscow on Aeroflot Airlines who refused to go to Israel because of the constant flareups there (which according to airline policy is covered on "you should have known better" unless it gets really bad and even then the Russian airlines that operate rarely give a poo poo) so demanded we find another destination. All reasonable alternatives rejected and unable to get a refund, the customer ended up flying from Los Angeles, to Moscow, to Shanghai. And then, on the way back, Shanghai to Moscow to LA.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Long story short, airlines are hosed up but their hosed up for internally logical reasons. Its only on the outside where your left wondering. On the inside it makes sense. Well, enough sense to function anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

It was a customer who was going to Tel Aviv from Los Angeles by way of Moscow on Aeroflot Airlines who refused to go to Israel because of the constant flareups there (which according to airline policy is covered on "you should have known better" unless it gets really bad and even then the Russian airlines that operate rarely give a poo poo) so demanded we find another destination. All reasonable alternatives rejected and unable to get a refund, the customer ended up flying from Los Angeles, to Moscow, to Shanghai. And then, on the way back, Shanghai to Moscow to LA.

Well, that sorta makes sense. They're, what, 11 time zones apart (depending on DST)? Seems like going east or west is mostly personal preference.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So are we actually fleeing the goddamn country to get away from Satan?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

So are we actually fleeing the goddamn country to get away from Satan?

Everyone knows there's no Satan outside the USA, the rest of the world is paradise.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This game looked so promising when I first started reading, how did it get so, so dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

We started at the awkward dialogue and just sort of went from there. Its an interesting idea, but yeah this isn't great.

• Locked thread