Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

omg a new SpaceChem Zachtronics game; I need to get home and buy this. This looks like it has the puzzle aspect that I was craving in Factorio.

Wolpertinger posted:

So what program does everyone use to make gifs for this? I've never actually bothered before.

LICEcap is pretty good: http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

I think http://gfycat.com/ is best for gif uploads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Chunjee posted:

omg a new SpaceChem Zachtronics game; I need to get home and buy this. This looks like it has the puzzle aspect that I was craving in Factorio.

LICEcap is pretty good: http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

I think http://gfycat.com/ is best for gif uploads?

There's also gooncam, which is good.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Have anyone linked this video yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_G8jtZceg

I guess Notch does have some spare time nowadays.

This is Not Alf XXX
Jul 12, 2004

Bhodi posted:

WTF? I did that exact thing and it slid off the back.

Ah, I see. They pause it with a blocker. I was hoping to do it without doing that. Eh, no big deal.

You don't actually have to (or rotate the tank) but it may be unintended given the squares you put the welders are nowhere near the block.

Overengineering at its dumbest.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Good because rotators are the most buggy pieces of poo poo imaginable:

I really want to downvote every single puzzle that has them until they are fixed.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can manipulate rotators a bit by putting a block in the path of undesirable rotations so they don't rotate too early. In that tank gif, the tanks themselves are blocking rotation which is why they're rotating at different points each time.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yeah, if you went up next to those rotators while the line is running you'd be able to hear them choking once or twice. They will flat-out refuse to rotate things if it'd make the thing they're trying to rotate touch anything at any point in the rotation.

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.

Bhodi posted:

Good because rotators are the most buggy pieces of poo poo imaginable:

I really want to downvote every single puzzle that has them until they are fixed.

I don't think that's a bug. The first drone immediately rotates because it has space to do so, but the second drone can't because the first drone is in the way. It has to wait a cycle, and by that time the drone is in the middle of the rotator.

Edit: Congratulations! You have three answers to choose from.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I feel like there was enough room to rotate. At least until the third one where it gets legitimately backed up.

I am so bad at rotators I had to emergency add a bunch to this side because I couldn't figure out how to actually rotate that middle piece because it's impossible to use in-line rotators on a conveyor you know is going to get backed up. It was easier to rotate the entire damned object.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I feel like there was enough room to rotate. At least until the third one where it gets legitimately backed up.

Nope, the second one rotating would have made the short end of its treads clip into the first one. Rotating long objects like that in-line is tricky, it's usually better to rotate them off to the side and then push them back on if you need to.

That being said, I think you could fix that by putting one platform 3 spaces "south" of the rotator (so there's a 1-tile gap between it and the conveyor) which would make it not rotate on the treads and only rotate on the middle block.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 25, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I tried a whole bunch of things. There doesn't appear to be any way to rotate and then rotate back in-line without backing up the entire thing (or using blockers or another way of pausing the objects behind). I guess one space between objects just isn't enough.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Gooncam makes it really easy to show. This is the best program.

Ignore the top-leftmost rotator, that was added by me clicking back in the program I guess

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 25, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

A better question is "why is this so important", since not being able to do this is a consequence of the puzzle having the unmovable conveyor belt there.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The entire point of this is that I didn't want to pause them on the track. I guess I'll have to just do that half-block pause so I can finish the weld. There's no way to weld the back piece without pausing it because the block slides off.

Another answer of why it's important is BECAUSE IT JUST IS, OK?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

In other news,

I was trying to figure out how the gently caress you were making this welder work. I didn't realize the beam could connect across gaps like that. :psyduck:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can do an S-weld as well. It's handy!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jabor you piece of poo poo you think you can one-up my own challenge to you without even telling me, well guess what fucker

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How the hell do you get single blocks off of a rotator while still allowing that rotator to work? I'm on the very first puzzle that allows rotators and I am confused as poo poo at the moment. :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

How the hell do you get single blocks off of a rotator while still allowing that rotator to work? I'm on the very first puzzle that allows rotators and I am confused as poo poo at the moment. :(

Conveyor -> rotator -> conveyor. The next block will come along, shove the first one off, and take its place. You need to have 2 spaces between blocks in the line to do this.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Uh, for some reason the "Shuttle Refurbishment" mission only ever spawns three input blocks and then just stops. The preplaced conveyors keep running and nothing seems to be gummed up, but for some reason no new shuttles come in. Is that a bug or am I overlooking some twist to that puzzle? Restarting the mission and game didn't fix it.

Edit: Ah never mind, found the error. Turned out that the destroyers I used to remove the old engines left over a little scrap that ended up blocking the new input somehow.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 25, 2015

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Assuming you're grinding them in the input area, are you SURE there are no engine nacelle things still left in the input?

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I love this game and would love to have some more goon friends so I can stare in awe at your mighty level scores.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zteuer

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Jabor posted:

Here's a simpler AND-gate:

(currently set up in a NAND configuration, but if you put the sensor on the other end of the track it becomes an AND-gate). 4 points of footprint, and it's linear so you can squeeze it in above or below some real track to make it a net zero points, and only one cycle of delay. You can also extend it to as many inputs as you like just by making the towers taller, and invert specific inputs by making those specific ones pushers rather than blockers.

This confuses me. Could you explain how this works practically? I think I'm missing something important by not seeing the back side.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Brackhar posted:

This confuses me. Could you explain how this works practically? I think I'm missing something important by not seeing the back side.

The two blocks on the left are blockers, the two cubes on top of the conveyor are connected to each other, but not to the blockers. When both input signals are deactivated, both blockers will prevent the cubes from moving. When only one input signal is activated and the respective blocker recedes, the other will still block the cubes. Only when both blockers receive the signal, they will recede and allow the cubes be moved left by the conveyor and deactivate the sensor on the right. As soon as one or both of the blockers lose the signal, they'll push the cubes back to the right.

Edit: Here, see it in motion, this time in a simple AND configuration. Inputs come from the left, output comes from the sensor on top and activates the pusher to the right: http://gfycat.com/KindUnconsciousCub

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 25, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Perestroika posted:

The two blocks on the left are blockers, the two cubes on top of the conveyor are connected to each other, but not to the blockers. When both input signals are deactivated, both blockers will prevent the cubes from moving. When only one input signal is activated and the respective blocker recedes, the other will still block the cubes. Only when both blockers receive the signal, they will recede and allow the cubes be moved left by the conveyor and deactivate the sensor on the right. As soon as one or both of the blockers lose the signal, they'll push the cubes back to the right.

Edit: Here, see it in motion, this time in a simple AND configuration. Inputs come from the left, output comes from the sensor on top and activates the pusher to the right: http://gfycat.com/KindUnconsciousCub

Ah, ok, that's why I was confused. I don't have access to blockers yet, only pushers.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
This is what happens when you try to make a NOT gate but you wire up the output sensor to the piston. An accidental clock, I feel sure I can use that somewhere.

https://gfycat.com/MatureScientificAfricanpiedkingfisher

And it does what I want it to with the rotator anyway, it's just very noisy.

This is Not Alf XXX
Jul 12, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Gooncam makes it really easy to show. This is the best program.

Ignore the top-leftmost rotator, that was added by me clicking back in the program I guess

Lots of superfluous parts as I was testing with max input rate which just produces junk you don't need.

But I love this level.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Control Volume posted:

jabor you piece of poo poo you think you can one-up my own challenge to you without even telling me, well guess what fucker

I really enjoyed this one. Completely different strategy to my first attempt at the level.

I topped your score on Landing Alignment Lights, by the way. Unlike some puzzles, it's not immediately clear if you've reached the smallest physically possible footprint - perhaps you could try and do one better? Or perhaps I'll come back and give it another shot later on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jabor posted:

I really enjoyed this one. Completely different strategy to my first attempt at the level.

I topped your score on Landing Alignment Lights, by the way. Unlike some puzzles, it's not immediately clear if you've reached the smallest physically possible footprint - perhaps you could try and do one better? Or perhaps I'll come back and give it another shot later on.

Yeah the landing alignment lights need improvement from my end, I haven't really given them a serious effort.

Also all you people making crazy poo poo for the drone repair are absolutely insane.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Pretty proud of this Oversight Terminal Model 6 (level 4-3) footprint score.

Here's the full solution.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

NickPancakes posted:

Pretty proud of this Oversight Terminal Model 6 (level 4-3) footprint score.

okay, that's about a billion times simpler than mine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm1XCef2ipA

What output rate are you running at?
At MAX it generates the base and keyboard bricks at 2x the needed rate, so I end up grinding up half of each to avoid overrunning the monitor brick production.

I'm down to 159 cycles at MAX, but at over double your footprint (132).

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Quinton posted:

okay, that's about a billion times simpler than mine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm1XCef2ipA

What output rate are you running at?
At MAX it generates the base and keyboard bricks at 2x the needed rate, so I end up grinding up half of each to avoid overrunning the monitor brick production.

I'm down to 159 cycles at MAX, but at over double your footprint (132).

Default rate. I tried going +1 but couldn't find a good way to handle it without sacrificing my footprint.

Zach said on reddit that after it comes out of early access there will be a 3rd graph that will be a measure of cycles and footprint combined. Once that's out I'm sure I'll work on some solutions that are the best of both worlds.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Control Volume posted:

Also all you people making crazy poo poo for the drone repair are absolutely insane.

This is the way I solved it first.

The turret gets replaced exactly one cycle after it gets destroyed.

Also note the connector getting pushed away, breaking the connection to the destroyers, and then falling down to the left to unblock the tank from the belt.

Not sure if smart or just really really dumb.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Buffis posted:

Also note the connector getting pushed away, breaking the connection to the destroyers, and then falling down to the left to unblock the tank from the belt.

:psyduck: I can't say it's dumb because even thinking of a system like that is beyond me, much less designing it.

Jabor posted:

Got this one down to 61 after some idle thinking led me to ~an idea~, and I'm pretty sure it's the absolute minimum. Also it was a complete pain in the rear end. Good luck! :unsmigghh:
e: Another idle thought tells me that 60 is actually the absolute minimum. Ugh.
e2: now we're both at 59, gently caress this puzzle this is the woorssst

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 26, 2015

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Control Volume posted:

:psyduck: I can't say it's dumb because even thinking of a system like that is beyond me, much less designing it.

The most surprising part is that once I got the parts aligned the way I wanted them, this more or less worked right away with very little tweaking. I have no idea how I managed that.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

drat. I guess on Relay Satellite you can't weld together the 3 computer parts in a stack and then weld on the solar panels in their own 3 stacks huh? I've tried a bunch of things, and i'm fairly certain there's no way to weld a 3-cube vertical stack to 2 3-cube horizontal stacks.

Guess I'll have to leave one of the computer stack parts off until after the solar panels are welded on, or weld each solar panel stack separate.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

NickPancakes posted:

drat. I guess on Relay Satellite you can't weld together the 3 computer parts in a stack and then weld on the solar panels in their own 3 stacks huh? I've tried a bunch of things, and i'm fairly certain there's no way to weld a 3-cube vertical stack to 2 3-cube horizontal stacks.

Guess I'll have to leave one of the computer stack parts off until after the solar panels are welded on, or weld each solar panel stack separate.
I managed to do it eventually, but it was a grand ol' pain:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You have blown my mind.
I just made a bigger part and then removed the extra parts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Control Volume posted:

Got this one down to 61 after some idle thinking led me to ~an idea~, and I'm pretty sure it's the absolute minimum. Also it was a complete pain in the rear end. Good luck! :unsmigghh:
e: Another idle thought tells me that 60 is actually the absolute minimum. Ugh.
e2: now we're both at 59, gently caress this puzzle this is the woorssst

Down to 58 now, which is the minimum I'm going to attempt. There are 54 tiles on the critical path from the input to the output, and then you need to actually assemble the 3x4 block. 57 is theoretically possible, but I've had enough messing around with clock circuits for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
I Enjoy Feeling Stupid Online With My Friends

still need to clear the last level of spacechem, and even then the fact that people have made some of those things in the sandbox challenge is just depressing.

That said I'm digging this, however stumping it is. There's something satisfying about watching all the stuff rolling around. I feel like this game is going to have some insane creations in about a month or two.

• Locked thread