Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^I thought you'd just made that up as a dumb off-the-cuff example, I'm legitimately cracking up that "PLUS DAMAGE AGAINST DOGS AND HORSES" is a for-real Pathfinder feat.

Simian_Prime posted:

Haven't been banned. Honestly, I haven't even posted there in ages.

I should apologize: I had a frustrating day and kinda flew off the handle there. Yeah, I agree, in terms of civility, RPG.net is ok. The systemic pass-agg in there just grates on me to the point I say "gently caress it." I guess when I said I miss the grognards, I mean I miss laughing at their ridiculous behavior, but I guess that's a little like laughing at the mentally ill.

So maybe I should just let rpg.net be rpg.net and move on with my life. It's not worth this much aggravation.

For what it's worth, I agree that RPGnet has some systemic passive aggression, which is what goes on when you set down a bunch of hard and fast guidelines for things like "don't insult people you assholes," naturally people then immediately turn their minds to "how can I best imply that someone is an rear end in a top hat instead?" Something Awful's moderation policy is basically "you might get probated if the mods find you sufficiently insufferable, or if they think it's funny, or if you threaten to kill the President and get the site owner a visit from the Secret Service," which is vague and broad-reaching enough that nobody feels the need to try and skirt around the letter of the law, and it also means you can just call someone an rear end in a top hat if they're demonstrably being an rear end in a top hat which is sometimes a handy thing to be able to do.

On the other hand, RPGnet's mods aren't robots and they'll still probate people for being insufferable once they pass a certain pass-agg threshold, and SA's mod policies and board culture also means that demonstable assholes can persist in being assholes for a good long while before some mod finally decides to start showing them the door.

It's give or take, and I can understand why some people prefer one over the other, though like Plague of Hats said it's honestly not very hard to not get probated on RPGnet if you can deal with the board culture, and the fact that so many people manage to do so then get incredibly huffy and self-destruct over it continues to amaze me.

Ratpick posted:

Related to RPG.net and their modding policies, I've posted there on and off for ages now and never got as much as a red text. I like the fact that they're openly anti-MRA and have zero tolerance for mansplaining and concern-trolling.

Openly anti GamerGate too, not in the "don't discuss this ever" sense but in the "if you are openly pro GamerGate whining about ethics in games journalism then you are cordially invited to gently caress right off." As much as I don't really care to go there to fritter my time away arguing about elfgames these days, it's a good thing that one of the more prominent RPG-centric discussion sites takes such a strong and visible stance with regards to stuff like that.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Also, before we dog on Ryan Danks (Not a single weed joke?) I guess I had better come clean with you guys. I was logging into the secret Muslim forum where we talk about chickpeas and beard styling and taking over the west and found some dire new fatwas by the Milk Shayk.

quote:

Dear DrizztFan01,

Mashallah, I am glad that you have asked. In the event that your dice rolls off the table, that does, in fact, break it's wudhu. It is not permissible to return to the game until you have washed the dice on it's 3, 4, 7, and 10 faces. You must also redo it's wudhu if your DM gets so into character as a Goblin that he spits on it, as the spit of a DM has the same moral character as the spit of a dog.

God knows best,
The Milk Shayk

quote:

Dear XxXSephirothXxX,

This is a very important question you have asked! According to the Hanafi, Shaf'i, and Maliki Madhabs, splitting the party is makrooh because it is a form of fitna. The Hanbali consider it fard, however, because it gives your party cleric a chance to burn down the house of the goblin who skips the Jumu'ah prayer.

God knows best,
The Milk Shayk

quote:

Dear RPGPundit,

It is not permissible to eat storygamers whether they are swine or not, unless you are about to die and eating a storygamer who has died of natural causes is the only way to survive. In such a situation, it is disliked.

God knows best,
The Milk Shayk

quote:

A REPLY TO SUPER GANGSTER RAND BRITTAIN

WHY DO YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT CHUBBO AKHI. WHY???????

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

quote:

Dear DrizztFan01,

Mashallah, I am glad that you have asked. In the event that your dice rolls off the table, that does, in fact, break it's wudhu. It is not permissible to return to the game until you have washed the dice on it's 3, 4, 7, and 10 faces. You must also redo it's wudhu if your DM gets so into character as a Goblin that he spits on it, as the spit of a DM has the same moral character as the spit of a dog.

God knows best,
The Milk Shayk

Bullshit. Everyone knows Drizzt clones are haram.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

^^^I thought you'd just made that up as a dumb off-the-cuff example, I'm legitimately cracking up that "PLUS DAMAGE AGAINST DOGS AND HORSES" is a for-real Pathfinder feat.
Sometimes I often feel like they do it on purpose as the Long Fall Boots from Portal and a bog standard extension cable are actual items that are cannon to Golarion. The hilarious part being that the extension cable is probably more useful than that feat.

Simian_Prime posted:

I don't even get why somebody would put that in a game at all, unless it was some kind of animal torture simulator.

"I need granular char gen to truly realize my vision of Michael Vick as a D&D character!"
You want the Vivisectionist alchemist.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Straw poll: how important would you lot say an index in a 130-page rpg product is? It'll be print and pdf.

I ask because I got exactly the right number of pages for DTRPG's print setup on this thing, then realised I'd forgotten to add an index.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mormon Star Wars posted:

A REPLY TO SUPER GANGSTER RAND BRITTAIN

WHY DO YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT CHUBBO AKHI. WHY???????

I'm like a reverse Saint Patrick, chasing all the swine into your country.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

potatocubed posted:

Straw poll: how important would you lot say an index in a 130-page rpg product is? It'll be print and pdf.

I ask because I got exactly the right number of pages for DTRPG's print setup on this thing, then realised I'd forgotten to add an index.

Really loving important.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Also, before we dog on Ryan Danks (Not a single weed joke?) I guess I had better come clean with you guys. I was logging into the secret Muslim forum where we talk about chickpeas and beard styling and taking over the west and found some dire new fatwas by the Milk Shayk.

My Milk Shayk brings all the boys to tha yard

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Let me put it this way: the original AD&D books didn't have indices. Do you think you're better than St. Gary?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

whydirt posted:

Let me put it this way: the original AD&D books didn't have indices. Do you think you're better than St. Gary?
Ummm...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

I don't even get why somebody would put that in a game at all, unless it was some kind of animal torture simulator.

"I need granular char gen to truly realize my vision of Michael Vick as a D&D character!"

It's less that a more a factor of trying to flesh out goblins and using them as fodder enemies at the same time. Training an animal for combat is supposed to be something of a barrier of entry for certain things, but horses and dogs will attack goblins without training because they just for some reason don't like goblins at all. I assume this is to prevent new untrained animal companions from being useless for the first few levels, because training becomes trivial. Due to goblins being the size of a toddler this usually ends with victory for the animals.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

It's less that a more a factor of trying to flesh out goblins and using them as fodder enemies at the same time. Training an animal for combat is supposed to be something of a barrier of entry for certain things, but horses and dogs will attack goblins without training because they just for some reason don't like goblins at all. I assume this is to prevent new untrained animal companions from being useless for the first few levels, because training becomes trivial. Due to goblins being the size of a toddler this usually ends with victory for the animals.

So it's basically Kobolds Ate My Baby, but crunchy as hell?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Mearls keeps on getting shittier and shittier.
https://plus.google.com/118365124365067663191/posts/jPDwesDgAhE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A developer for Roll20 combines Roll20 with a projector to make dynamic tabletop D&D maps. Pretty cool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Every time something like this comes up, I respect Cam Banks more and more.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Hey, I appreciate the responses. I've been in an introspective mood about gaming lately because the weekly game I'm in is dying of natural causes - the other rat bastard players are adults with lives and are moving away. We've discussed using skype or roll20, but I don't think it'll actually happen because of the personalities, circumstances and time zones involved. So before I start or find a new group i've been taking the time to think about what I actually want out of playing an rpg, both mechanically and as an social experience. Ordinarily I think I'd use this mental space to prep, but the campaign is running down.

The game that's going away one where I run DCC half the time and the other guy runs Swords & Wizardry with a poo poo ton of house rules. Both are fun - I'm going to keep running DCC - but prior to that I ran Savage Worlds for a group that I'd been playing Pathfinder with and the results were decidely mixed. I enjoyed running Savage Worlds and half the players really liked it, the other half complained that it was fun to play but didn't like the character system. On the other hand I found Pathfinder to be fiddly, boring and excruciatingly tedious to build characters for and would rather have my balls wired to a car battery than run it.

I parted ways with the SW/Pathfinder group as a game group because at a certain point I realized that they all saw the game session as a time to shoot the poo poo and drink while rolling dice, but 3 of the 5 of em would spend hours outside the game working on character builds and reading everything Paizo published. For what it's worth these are still people I hang out with, drink beer and play board games with.

Anyway, I find the discussion helpful, as I'm both trying to dial in the specific mix of what I want in a system and understand what other people find fun in a game. It may be because that I'm a bueracrat in my professional life, but prepping for 3.5/Pathfinder feels like I'm still at the office doing paperwork. I'm thinking to take the opportunity to try some new systems and see how I like things.

Anyway, a couple things;

PublicOpinion posted:

You seem to think that there's some weird divide between being mechanically effective and being fun.

Not really, it's just that -

Mors Rattus posted:

The point of caring about balance pretty much is ensuring that fun choices and effective choices not only aren't mutually exclusive, but are the same thing no matter what you think is fun.

Look, I'm trying to break out of some pretty groggy ways of thinking, but I think I agree with this. My preference is developing for games where the choices are made during play and not where character creation is it's own solitaire pastime. I think I'm using "optimization" in a way that doesn't convey exactly what I mean.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If some players consider playing RPGs to be "roll a bunch of dice while shooting the poo poo with your friends, who cares" and other players are approaching it as "a complex mathematical/tactical puzzle that needs to be attacked from multiple angles with careful thought" and no attempt is made at reconciling the two, it's going to cause friction

I think my preference is somewhere in the middle. Too casual and I'd rather just have a beer and play a board game, too heavy and I find the experience tends to drag on forever and get boring.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Since a lot of the in-game challenge and the need for optimization is going to come from the GM, it usually falls to them to make sure that the game is "tuned" appropriately, but ultimately it comes down to an agreement between the entire table to determine what kind of game they want to play in the first place.

Well sure, I've seen a lack of consensus buy-in tank games before.

Anyway, I think my next set of questions is more suited to the "what system should I use" thread. I'm not sure its useful to pursue a discussion of what people think is fun - I know I don't enjoy extremely involved character creation or rule sets that interact in baroque, intricate ways, and if I don't get why other people like it by this point in my life I don't know if I'm ever going to.

Which isn't a dodge, I've found everything said useful and if anyone wants to take a crack at explaining why mechanically complex and involved chargen is more fun than doing someone else's taxes, have at - I'll listen.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ryan Russin, in the comments, posted:

So how long before Mearls resorts to "DM's call" as a defense?

This joke will never stop being funny.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Mike loving Mearls, senior manager of the all-male Dungeons & Dragons research and design team posted:

@boymonster for some people (not you - never got that vibe) how much is it that they aren't the right kind of women?
This is appalling.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I've been getting more into trpgs that aren't D&D thanks in part to this forum, and I ended up starting a Last Stand campaign with some friends. Then I found out that everything Last Stand related is slowly disappearing off the internet because the creator got harassed out of the hobby, so it seems that I have once again entered a nerd hobby where I like a lot of the creations but the fan base stinks to high heaven. :sigh:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

He mentioned on Twitter that he expects an apology for all the women who are being overlooked, referring to all the women who work in other fields in the company, like it was the same thing.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So I've been getting more into trpgs that aren't D&D thanks in part to this forum, and I ended up starting a Last Stand campaign with some friends. Then I found out that everything Last Stand related is slowly disappearing off the internet because the creator got harassed out of the hobby, so it seems that I have once again entered a nerd hobby where I like a lot of the creations but the fan base stinks to high heaven. :sigh:

Or, in other words, you have entered a nerd hobby.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I like having a bunch of discrete mechanical bits in character creation because it's like playing with legos, where you look at the parts bin and it all just becomes clear what pieces you need to make a rad robot. The good thing about a class based system is that theoretically you can have low option classes existing alongside classes with more toggles than a 747 and have their numbers come out roughly the same. They just need to actually be balanced and make sure the simple characters aren't all swords people and the complicated ones aren't all magic.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Come to board games, the rules are much better. Also, less toxic poo poo. Much less.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In reference to the whole 'GM is a corrective layer thing', it's something I've gotten progressively more and more sick of, as someone who has been GMing for 14 years now. I enjoy tweaking games and making houserules. I've written several entire homebrew systems. I like loving around with stuff to make it fit my players and my game better. But I am getting really goddamn sick of it being a requirement to make a lot of RPGs work in the first place. I've only seen a few games I didn't absolutely need to patch to keep them running properly, and it's really tiring to pay money for broken products in this hobby.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Night10194 posted:

In reference to the whole 'GM is a corrective layer thing', it's something I've gotten progressively more and more sick of, as someone who has been GMing for 14 years now. I enjoy tweaking games and making houserules. I've written several entire homebrew systems. I like loving around with stuff to make it fit my players and my game better. But I am getting really goddamn sick of it being a requirement to make a lot of RPGs work in the first place. I've only seen a few games I didn't absolutely need to patch to keep them running properly, and it's really tiring to pay money for broken products in this hobby.

Well, that's the Rule Zero Fallacy. To a lot of people, the fact that anyone can tweak rules to fit personal preference (which is a good thing, don't get me wrong) means that you don't have design well or with other people/playstyles in mind.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, that was the gist of my post. I really ENJOY tweaking. I just wish it was more often having to tweak, not 'Well poo poo whole parts of this are unplayable and bad as written' type stuff.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Tweaking to make the game more to your liking/do something different: Awesome!

Having to tweak because the designer couldn't be bothered to actually do their job: Not awesome.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lord Frisk posted:

Come to board games, the rules are much better. Also, less toxic poo poo. Much less.

There are still many assholes in that hobby, at least if BoardGameGeek is anything to go by.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lightning Lord posted:

There are still many assholes in that hobby, at least if BoardGameGeek is anything to go by.

It's (insufferable) turtles all the way down.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
At least we all have each other? :glomp:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Davin Valkri posted:

At least we all have each other? :glomp:

Now I'm just depressed.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The nice thing about board games is that, while there is certainly a grognard regiment of sad fat men stuck to terrible games, the hobby is wide enough that you simply don't have to play games with them. It's not like RPGs where D&D and its terrible rule systems are synonymous with the hobby.
Also, while some people house rule board games, it is overwhelmingly not something the majority of people do.

Also if you're the most into board games person you know, you won't be stuck as the Board Game Master and be unable to actually play a level 3 farmer in Agricola.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fuego Fish posted:

This joke will never stop being funny.

Thank you :toot:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

He mentioned on Twitter that he expects an apology for all the women who are being overlooked, referring to all the women who work in other fields in the company, like it was the same thing.
Please the best part of that exchange is the fact that the Paizo employee that he harassed for an apology didn't actually say that.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Impermanent posted:

The nice thing about board games is that, while there is certainly a grognard regiment of sad fat men stuck to terrible games, the hobby is wide enough that you simply don't have to play games with them.

All the bad experiences I've had with board games have been with seemingly well adjusted, fit, earnest people who act politely but treat board games as exercise in proving their intellectual superiority and relentlessly criticize their opponents for anything they perceive as "sub-optimal" play. They also tend to whine endlessly if you suggest a game that uses dice because the mean random number generator might upset their precious plan for proving they have the biggest brain.

Um, I mean, there's assholes in every hobby. I'm not thinking of a specific meetup group at all. Nope.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Completely unsurprising given who he hired to work on 5e. Maybe (but not likely) people will stop claiming he just did it to "score grog points."

Mearls has always been a shithead. I can only be glad it's just coming more into the light.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Completely unsurprising given who he hired to work on 5e. Maybe (but not likely) people will stop claiming he just did it to "score grog points."

Mearls has always been a shithead. I can only be glad it's just coming more into the light.
Actually, it wasn't just Mearls. I don't remember who the other person was but there was another WoTC employee who jumped in too to whine. It should be in that conversation linked earlier.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
His response (we have plenty of women in jobs other than the ones you decided were the important ones, and we think they're important) might even have been reasonable (depending on what those jobs actually do).

At least, it might have been until he decided to make it in the touchiest and most condescending way imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

His response (we have plenty of women in jobs other than the ones you decided were the important ones, and we think they're important) might even have been reasonable (depending on what those jobs actually do).

But the whole original premise of the article was directly affecting game design which means that either Mearls is a dipshit and didn't read the article (Note: The Paizo employee actually said this) or he's pulling what happened with Monte Cook and not giving people their due. Either way it doesn't paint him in a nice way.

• Locked thread