Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Byolante posted:

Management knew this was coming too, they booked out a bar in advance to host the 'so you got fired lets get drunk' event after the heres a box for your poo poo get out event.

:drat:

Republicans posted:

Too bad, Landmark seemed like a nice start to what EQ Next could have been but I guess the smart money is to just build up around Landmark.

That's been my impression even before the acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larz2021
Feb 2, 2001

Eonwe posted:

that is hosed

It was clearly a minor mistake for 1 guy...like the admins were given 1 big list and told to do it when San Diego had their meeting. its just typical of the relationship between the studios. Missed communications and poor company management.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
eq next is a game that builds off of the name and nostalgia of the previous eq games, one of which was a train wreck, and the other one is old as gently caress, while at the same time ruining any nostalgia by reinventing the land which one thing is making the creatures that hate everything, the iskar, love everyone and invite them over for tea.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Byolante posted:

Management knew this was coming too, they booked out a bar in advance to host the 'so you got fired lets get drunk' event after the heres a box for your poo poo get out event.

When I was at BestBuy corporate everyone knew layoffs were coming when all the conference rooms on a floor would be booked solid for a week.

They were referred to as "Crying Rooms".

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Byolante posted:

From a person I know who got laid off its close to 30% of total staff, possibly more.

The person I know isn't on that list, its not even close to complete.

From what I've heard it's actually pretty close to 50%

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They jumpin off like its the Titanic http://www.themittani.com/news/planetside-2s-creative-director-steps-down?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

RIP all SOE games.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Well tbf John Smedley did crash the boat into the iceberg

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Utnayan posted:

No doubt. These people were horrible for SOE and dead weight which bogged down all their projects. About the only two that would hire them would be Zynga or Battlecry Studios where they can buddy up with another waste of space, Rich Vogel.

In other words, send them to Zynga. The island of Misfit developers.

I'm curious how you know this. How do people know all the names of all these developers? I barely know what studio created what games. Is there a mmo dev gossip talk show where people talk about the hottest new neckbeard and t shirt trends?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I'm curious how you know this. How do people know all the names of all these developers? I barely know what studio created what games. Is there a mmo dev gossip talk show where people talk about the hottest new neckbeard and t shirt trends?

lol if you don't watch the ending credits of every game and memorize all the names.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Carol Pizzamom posted:

The post was hilariously untrue

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carol Pizzamom posted:

A lot of goons like to work it like they sperg it.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

RIP all SOE games.

SOE treated a lot of their flagship games like crap and I am happy to hear that it is breaking up. SOE is second only to EA for number of mismanaged franchises. Heres to hoping that the people who stay with the new company will pick up the flag and really run with it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

lunatikfringe posted:

SOE treated a lot of their flagship games like crap and I am happy to hear that it is breaking up. SOE is second only to EA for number of mismanaged franchises. Heres to hoping that the people who stay with the new company will pick up the flag and really run with it.

Even if they sort of half-assed hobbled-run with it, it should be an improvement.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Carol Pizzamom posted:

The person you quoted has a 15 year plus history of yelling at video game developers across multiple forums.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You will pick up a few names if you spend a few years pretty dedicated to a particular MMO, if only via osmosis.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

lol if you don't watch the ending credits of every game and memorize all the names.

I actually do watch the credits when I finish SP games. It kind of wraps it up like the movie just ended(which I sometimes sit through credits for too, depending on the music, Nick Fury, etc.). I don't memorize names though.

/OCDvideogameconfessions

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Welp, Shaql2's goodbye to the Planetside 2 community is interesting:

quote:

Hello, this is just a quick announcement that I will no longer make patch notes, or any other work on SOE/DGC-related projects, and I will be leaving this community.

Please note that while the layoffs and everything around it did slightly impact my decision, the main reason is political (CN being a part of russian Renova, which is within Putin's inner ring, basically. and since Putin ochestrated the assassination of my country's president and dozens of other elite citizens...), and thus will not be discussed here (feel free to send me a PM if you want some details).
Just know that I don't make this decision lightly (both my head and drives are full of PS2/H1Z1/SOE-related data, it was an enormous part of my life), and I deem some things more important than others.

You can ask me anything you want, here or via PM, but I may ignore some silly questions ;]

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYg0sHob-6M

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Welp, Shaql2's goodbye to the Planetside 2 community is interesting:

he's from poland if anyone cares what he's getting at with the putin thing.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Carol Pizzamom posted:

You do this long enough and like all industries, eventually the nerd who played mmo's for 10 years either becomes a developer himself, or jumps off a bridge. Cocktail of networking and 'its a small world' eventually you learn by dev tracking who the major guys are (operations, production, art, producer) for each genre.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
For Everquest, the development team is incredibly small (a dozen or so) and only half of them post on the forums. Usually it is to engage with the community and realize something isn't working the way they thought and nerfing something everybody likes. Each one specializes in an aspect of the game (content, skill design, itemization, story) so it is easy to associate. If an alternate ability sucks, you tell Elidroth. If a zone sucks, you tell the developer that made it it sucks. If an item sucks, you tell Chandrok. Well, you did, until he got laid off.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

WetSpink posted:

he's from poland if anyone cares what he's getting at with the putin thing.

Is he referring to the plane crash that killed the president? Jesus.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
Even though they have a skeleton crew, if that crew actually does some work while letting players just create/vote on stuff to put in game it couldn't be worse than SOE's history.

Probably they'll just suck as much cash as possible back to the motherland and sell the used husks to the highest bidder.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slarlid posted:

Even though they have a skeleton crew, if that crew actually does some work while letting players just create/vote on stuff to put in game it couldn't be worse than SOE's history.

Probably they'll just suck as much cash as possible back to the motherland and sell the used husks to the highest bidder.

They sacked a whole lot of vital positions without considering the results of doing so and development has ground to a standstill. Its pretty hilarious.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

Is he referring to the plane crash that killed the president? Jesus.

A lot of Polish people think Russia is responsible. I dunno if that's likely but that crash is really sketchy for a lot of reasons.

The first investigations were closed with basically "Pilot hosed up, welp!" but experts looking over the data and reports found lots of holes and errors in some of the conclusions from the evidence then a bunch of experts spent a year or two piecing together data and came to the conclusion that the damage made more sense if you worked off an explosion model so they tested all the wreckage and found traces of explosives everywhere which had no business on a plane. There are people who think 9/11 was an inside job and have thousands of pages of "evidence" though so who the gently caress knows.

So... yeah, it's a sore spot for the Polish, especially those who think it was a Russian assassination since the president had been pushing for moving Polish energy away from Russian sources.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 14, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Byolante posted:

They sacked a whole lot of vital positions without considering the results of doing so and development has ground to a standstill. Its pretty hilarious.

So more productive then it was under horrible management.

Save Matt Higby - that is a huge loss. I hope he gets picked up soon.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
SOE has been run by morons for so long now. All their games have had super obvious issues from day one despite having decent manpower and budgets behind them. Their entire game history is one long repeating joke

Planetside had all the potential in the world but content for the game was glacial and SoE quickly abandoned the game after the first expansion (which sucked and was stupid, something the fanbase predicted long before its release), leaving only a skeleton crew behind to maintain it.

Planetside 2 had a really good base and was initially really popular too, the problem was the devs basically failed to deliver any worthwhile content at all for 3 years... I think, since 2012 they released like 1 map (which only came out recently) and maybe 2 vehicles?? The rest of the "content" was cash shop palette swaps and basic weapon models and that's it. FOR THREE YEARS! Totally mismanaged from day 1

Star Wars galaxies had all the potential in the world but due to many famous SoE blunders the game nosedived pretty quickly. I think this is where most people first got a pretty strong distaste for SoE in general

The Matrix Online was just a clusterfuck from the start, badly made all around.

Vanguard was infamously underdeveloped

EverQuest 2 I know this game got a few champions on these forums but I personally thought the game was horrible. It both looked and played horribly and certainly didn't feel like the successor to one of the most important MMO games ever

Pirates of the Burning sea was the SoE game I never played, but it didn't look to me like it had much going for it? Was sold off to another company eventually anyway...

Now we got EQ: Landmark being a massive failure and EQ: Next possibly being scrapped and H1Z1 catching endless flak on the internet.

If anything, firing a bunch of SoE veterans and rebranding the company is a really good thing since they've been really really REALLY bad at what they do for a very long time now. Maybe Daybreak will be just as bad but at least now they have a chance to shake things up...

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 16, 2015

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Zzulu posted:

EverQuest 2 I know this game got a few champions on these forums but I personally thought the game was horrible. It both looked and played horribly and certainly didn't feel like the successor to one of the most important MMO games ever

It was horrible at launch, horrible until Expansion 3, when it suddenly had an inexplicable upswing in quality, but became horrible again by being SOE's failed Free-to-Play experiment.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
that failed free to play experiment was headed by McQuaid if I remember right.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zzulu posted:

It actually was pretty good barring the usual rough start most MMO's had. In fact it wasn't made by SOE at all. The only problem was that the original company had some server issues that contributed to a rough launch. But that's par for the course nowadays.

It had a bunch of unique features too. There was a near 24/7 live event team that would interact with players. So you could duke it out with agents and stuff. They also ran story based events that had all sorts of crazy stuff happen to the game world during them. The original pre-buyout red eye agent event was ahead of its time for sure. The original company was also working on all sorts of neat stuff like proper Matrix style melee weapon combat, vehicles, and supposedly a real world section of the game world.

Then Sony bought the company, promptly fired the event team after promising they wouldn't before the purchase, completely shelved the official plot that was going to be an extension of the movies after they were finished, fired the majority of the dev team when the game predictably failed to make tons of cash after they stripped out the community interaction and gameplay elements, and put the game on life support with nearly no updates outside of lovely events until they shut it down.

gently caress SOE is what i'm saying. Setting aside how hard they dicked over the original developers, that game had the potential to be great. If any management types from that fiasco were fired as a result of this sale then they deserved what they got.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 17, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zzulu posted:

Star Wars galaxies had all the potential in the world but due to many famous SoE blunders the game nosedived pretty quickly. I think this is where most people first got a pretty strong distaste for SoE in general

Vanguard was infamously underdeveloped

Not to defend SOE but;

SWG- SOE was famously hamstrung at every turn by Lucasarts trying to protect the brand. The early release, combat revamp and NGE all came from Lucasarts threatening to pull the license if something drastic wasn't done.
The Matrix- Shot themselves in the foot even before launch and never recovered. Wouldn't have lasted another year if Sony hadn't stepped in.
Vanguard- First five years of development were actually under Microsoft but they cut funding when Brad couldn't show them anything. Brad runs to SOE and cashes in the last of his goodwill with the execs selling them on promises of a game that doesn't exist.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There are probably defensible explanations for all or most of SOE's bad products. However, after a while a string of garbage releases speaks for itself, even moreso considering the potential so many of their titles had.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

There are probably defensible explanations for all or most of SOE's bad products. However, after a while a string of garbage releases speaks for itself, even moreso considering the potential so many of their titles had.

Exactly.

It is one thing to have a bad or mediocre release.

SoE had a decade+ of them.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

Third World Reggin posted:

that failed free to play experiment was headed by McQuaid if I remember right.

We won't mention all of Brad's failings along the way.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
It's a miracle that EQ2 exists with all the bad decisions that went into it's actual design. CPUs using multiple cores? What kind of loving bullshit is that. GPU processors? Scrubs, get on our level and load everything into RAM.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not to defend SOE but;

SWG- SOE was famously hamstrung at every turn by Lucasarts trying to protect the brand. The early release, combat revamp and NGE all came from Lucasarts threatening to pull the license if something drastic wasn't done.

The CU was all SOE (Smed was freaking out about how popular WoW was getting) and when it failed to stop the slide in subscription numbers Lucasarts panicked and demanded that something else be done. SOE then came up with the NGE and sold it to LA so while there was certainly pressure from the Lucasarts people, SOE is ultimately responsible for both of the revamps that killed the game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Didn't SWG finally get atmospheric reentry implemented, like, the month it was announced the game would be shut down?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The people who caused all the bull poo poo are still there and the productive staff were the majority of the casualties. The people who I have talked to are having no trouble getting offers from better studios while SOE is hurriedly being asset stripped to give an IP piggy bank to Putin's daughter like a millionaire giving his daughter a pony.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So if SOE Live is cancelled and they usually announced the EQ1 expansions at SOE Live I bet you can stick a fork in that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
More importantly is Qeynos going to be renamed into Qeynapmocemagkaerbyad

• Locked thread