Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

Lid posted:

I'm an atheist philosophically and believe this man killed them based on his antitheist atheist beliefs. I'm not understanding 99% of this thread on both ends because near as i can tell both views can be held without cognitive dissonance so... what the gently caress is going on?

Well, as far as I can tell, Broken Cog is really really upset that Tezzor had the nerve to say "I told you so"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
imo atheists are the bronies of religion

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vaginapocalypse posted:

Well, as far as I can tell, Broken Cog is really really upset that Tezzor had the nerve to say "I told you so"

1. No, I'm upset because of this:

Broken Cog posted:

I understand some people are really eager to set up some sort of false equivalence in order to push the "Everyone can be assholes, it doesn't matter about religion!" view, but if it turns out this guy did it because of some stupid, unrelated thing like a parking dispute, that view is going to be ridiculed even more. And worse, those scary "New Atheists" have another reason to mock you and be even smugger, so I'd be careful about trying to score points off of this tragedy before all the details are out.

Seriously, I agree with the sentiment behind it, but people making fools of themselves(and aggressively so) in cases like this makes it harder to argue for it with others.
I support the sentiment people attacking this dude is trying to push, but it's risky to do these things before the facts are out. There can be a backlash if they turn out to be wrong.

2. You're defending Tezzor here, think about that for a second.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

You're twisting words in an attempt to support your position. Say he was "militant"(would you say anyone who kills or uses guns is militant)

Yes, that's what militant means. I don't use the word "militant" for people who hold strong beliefs, I use it for people who use violence.

quote:

and an ideologue, if you call him "militant ideologue" you are drawing a connection between them in order to imply that he used militarism to push his ideology. As far as I have seen there has been no evidence that he supported using violence to push his beliefs, nor that it was connected to this triple murder.

I don't expect whatever reasons he gives to make sense. I will go ahead and look at what he professed and what he has done and draw the conclusion that this was a hate crime.

It doesn't reflect poorly on atheists, I don't feel like I have lost any credibility as an atheist because of this guy's actions. It certainly does reflect poorly on the bigoted rhetoric that circulates among people who would post an image like the one he did.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
atheists love shooting people which imo is a messed up thing to have as part of ur religion... sorry for dropping a truth bomb but im just saying what needs to be said

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

atheists love shooting people which imo is a messed up thing to have as part of ur religion... sorry for dropping a truth bomb but im just saying what needs to be said

quote:

i love threadshitting and hate original content

SedanChair posted:

It doesn't reflect poorly on atheists, I don't feel like I have lost any credibility as an atheist because of this guy's actions. It certainly does reflect poorly on the bigoted rhetoric that circulates among people who would post an image like the one he did.

That's about where I get off - it's not the banner per se, but a lot of people who love HHH and Mises have white hoods in their wardrobes. I'm just waiting for the figurative white hood before I complete my goonrush.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SedanChair posted:

Yes, that's what militant means. I don't use the word "militant" for people who hold strong beliefs, I use it for people who use violence.
So is any murderer or person acting in self-defence(which I am NOT saying this dude was) militant to you? Is any gun-enthusiast a militant?

SedanChair posted:

I don't expect whatever reasons he gives to make sense. I will go ahead and look at what he professed and what he has done and draw the conclusion that this was a hate crime.

My point is that being a militant and an ideologue does not automatically imply that you are willing to use violence to push that ideology, which is what "militant ideologue" implies. Unless you want to really split hairs.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

It's just kinda wierd is all. If I saw a headline about three black people being murdered by a guy who posts pro-KKK poo poo on facebook, I would say that while it is possible the murder wasn't racially motivated, it probably was racially motivated.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

would this have happened if we all believed in god? the right one?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think it's bad that the cube-headed redditor murdered the nice charity dentist and his family.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sunset posted:

A lot of folks seem to be putting tidbits of information together in their head to come to the conclusion that this guy did what he did because he has some sort of militant atheist outlook. If it's alright to say so, I think people might be assuming here. Someone said they did not know how a parking dispute could end up in a triple-murder. I don't know how something like that could result in that either, but people can and often do do things that might seem like it doesn't make sense to react that way. Maybe the victims were parking in front of his house or something and it drove him bonkers. It doesn't make a lot of sense, because most of us would not really have a problem with that sort of thing. Neighbors do attack each other over things other than religion or race, though. Google barking dogs neighbor killed and you'll see news stories about neighbors hurting or killing each other over that sort of thing.

The two who were brother and sister their dad said they'd spoken to him a bunch recently about the guy getting irate with them over various stuff and having his gun on him when he confronted them before.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Disinterested posted:

That's about where I get off - it's not the banner per se, but a lot of people who love HHH and Mises have white hoods in their wardrobes. I'm just waiting for the figurative white hood before I complete my goonrush.

cut the low content posting out dude. this isnt gbs

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

projecthalaxy posted:

I think it's bad that the cube-headed redditor murdered the nice charity dentist and his family.

It would really complete the story if he turned out to be an r/atheism moderator.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vaginapocalypse posted:

It's just kinda wierd is all. If I saw a headline about three black people being murdered by a guy who posts pro-KKK poo poo on facebook, I would say that while it is possible the murder wasn't racially motivated, it probably was racially motivated.

And I don't think anyone would argue that much with you because that would mean he likely was RACIST. In here people are arguing that he killed these Muslims because he was atheist, which is a weaker correlation, and is less common in our society. (Soviet Union, Communist China yadda yadda yadda...)

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

social vegan posted:

would this have happened if we all believed in god? the right one?

wow yeah. i wonder what would happen if everyone believed in jesus god or even atheist god

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean there's also the fact that the only official word on this is "It may be related to a parking dispute" and that psychoanalyzing someone through their Facebook page isn't always reliable. Yeah it's horrible that people jump to conclusions whenever a Muslim does something bad, I try and oppose it whenever I see it.

SedanChair posted:

Which image do you mean?

Vaginapocalypse posted:

The KKK is an organization whose entire reason for existence is the murder of black people. The same is not true of the random atheist pages this guy seemed to like.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Broken Cog posted:

And I don't think anyone would argue that much with you because that would mean he likely was RACIST. In here people are arguing that he killed these Muslims because he was atheist, which is a weaker correlation, and is less common in our society. (Soviet Union, Communist China yadda yadda yadda...)

Thankfully we can't call this guy racist either because Islam isn't a race guys!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i dont want to "burn" anybody unnecessarily but atheism is really extremely gay

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

computer parts posted:

Thankfully we can't call this guy racist either because Islam isn't a race guys!

Then call him a loving bigot or Islamophobe or fuckwitted fartbrained moron or whatever.
Seriously, we went through this countless times in the CHarlie Hebdo thread.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 11, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Disinterested posted:

It would really complete the story if he turned out to be an r/atheism moderator.

If the cube-headed murderer was not a redditor in fact, he was in spirit.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The hate filled atheist banner he posted on his FB actually condemns violence

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Then call him a loving bigot or Islamophobe or cocksucking fartbrained moron or whatever.

can i call him a wee homo beta baby

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Its not?!?! :psyboom:

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The KKK is an organization whose entire reason for existence is the murder of black people. The same is not true of the random atheist pages this guy seemed to like.

Fair enough, I concede that point.

Edit: Atheists are the bronies of religion though

Vaginapocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 11, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

imo atheists are the bronies of religion

I would have thought it was Mormonism what with all the dancing horses and pedophilia and all.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Vaginapocalypse posted:

Fair enough, I concede that point.

lol are u just gonna take that. just gonna give them ur points. man up and call them gay dude

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

can i call him a wee homo beta baby

Sure, go right ahead.

Edit: some people might take offence to "Homo" being used in a pejorative way, though. So keep that in mind.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
This man doesn't believe in good or evil, should we be surprised that his actions reflect such a callous ideology?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Sure, go right ahead.

Edit: some people might take offence to "Homo" being used in a pejorative way, though. So keep that in mind.

whatever homo

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Miltank posted:

This man doesn't believe in good or evil, should we be surprised that his actions reflect such a callous ideology?

no we shouldnt. this is what comes of man worshipping hogs (true atheist god)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

So is any murderer or person acting in self-defence(which I am NOT saying this dude was) militant to you?

Yes, that's what militancy is.

quote:

Is any gun-enthusiast a militant?

No.

quote:

My point is that being a militant and an ideologue does not automatically imply that you are willing to use violence to push that ideology, which is what "militant ideologue" implies. Unless you want to really split hairs.

That's correct, but morons like this don't have the smarts to "push" an ideology with violence, they live their lives in an incoherent jumble of hatred and recrimination towards a perceived Other until their violent tendencies spill out. They're goaded on by bigoted rhetoric.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Jonad posted:

I would have thought it was Mormonism what with all the dancing horses and pedophilia and all.

In Muslimism they use goats instead of the horses :) "gently caress the animals that you have", as the saying goes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tezzor posted:

Charlie Hebdo thread. Me:

D&D atheists:

You quoted my post in the Charlie Hebdo thread, and I'd like to point out that, since I subscribe to a linear understanding of time, I didn't make that post knowing about this event that had not yet happened. Sadly, it appears you were correct that there was an outside chance of an atheist going on a nutso shooting spree. I already condemned this shooting, and I pointed out that we do, perhaps, need to look at the elements of atheist rhetoric that target religious people instead of religious belief, and I believe that applies whether or not it turns out this was related to a parking dispute, because it seems clear to me that religion/atheism was at least a motivating factor even if it was not the exclusive cause of this shooting.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

sexy young infidel posted:

In Muslimism they use goats instead of the horses :) "gently caress the animals that you have", as the saying goes

yes this is why u mostly see atheists loving cats

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Broken Cog posted:

Then call him a loving bigot or Islamophobe or cocksucking fartbrained moron or whatever.

My only problem with this is that calling somebody a cocksucker is pretty demeaning to women and more than a little homophobic.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jonad posted:

Mormons have families and often are pretty nice people if you don't make a big deal out of the whole religion deal.
Atheists (atleast those who make it an important part of their identity) are still the bronies for being boring, insufferable shits.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Has anyone considered that maybe part of the problem is that all this stuff happened in the South? Of course there are gonna be nutso rampaging murderguys. It's the South! It's what they do, blow off steam by killing people of color, and has been since before Sumter. Basically we should just write off the entire region. It's too full of Protestants anyway.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Lid posted:

I'm an atheist philosophically and believe this man killed them based on his antitheist atheist beliefs. I'm not understanding 99% of this thread on both ends because near as i can tell both views can be held without cognitive dissonance so... what the gently caress is going on?

Police say it was about parking. But the killer had memes on his facebook attacking religious people for killing people so it must be the atheism. When has a premeditated serial killer ever turned himself in right after a mass killing? It's almost as if it was an argument that got out of hand.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

My only problem with this is that calling somebody a cocksucker is pretty demeaning to women and more than a little homophobic.

qft... we dont need bigotry itt broken cog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
God wanted them dead.

• Locked thread