Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
i go to kmart when i want to roleplay as time traveler and that i somehow traveled back to the 90's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?
A few years ago I purchased:

1) That book by Glenn Beck about how one day all true patriots will sit around FEMA camps weeping.
2) A fanny pack.
3) A portable speaker.

All three of these items came to like four bucks. The speaker and the fanny pack may be long consigned to the garbage, but I use that Glenn Beck book to support a battered old desk in my work garden.

So... thanks K-Mart? Or Glenn Beck? I'm pretty sure it was on super clearance, so I don't think anyone really made money on this, other than the long-haulers that brought them in eventually. So... thanks highway system? Truckers?

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?

Glasgow Kiss posted:

i go to kmart when i want to roleplay as time traveler and that i somehow traveled back to the 90's

"According to that weird genie the only way I can get back to the future is if I rub Bill Clinton's magic sax!"

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I vaguely remember when I was a little kid, eating with my mother at the full-service restaurant or cafeteria that K-marts used to have in the '70s. They were usually divided off from the shopping area with that wavy yellow translucent plastic stuff.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zeroisanumber posted:

Srsly. Once Duane Reade and the local bodega close for the evening, you're boned.

The Manhattan Kmart is actually not bad and you usually see people in there

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I like to think Ames is in heaven waiting for his friend to at long last join him.

I can't remember if Ames was strip mall or a brand of toothpaste purchased by Crest.

cloven hoof
Mar 17, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzf5OL01Kpk
Todd Glass says funny things about Kmart.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeap, a Wallyworld did that around here, closed one store, opened two stores 5 miles apart because the customer base was getting a bit stabby.

Joke's on them, they had a shooting at the other one.

Five miles will do nothing to keep a stabby customer base away. The hobos will relocate to the vacant lot behind the new one and the bus line will stop at the new store. lovely customers with cars are impossible to avoid- they will drive past their local store and to the next town because even they want to shop at the nicer location. Walmart moves like that because they can coerce the city into giving them another 99-year lease and they can do their upgrade/remodel without disrupting business.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Five miles will do nothing to keep a stabby customer base away. The hobos will relocate to the vacant lot behind the new one and the bus line will stop at the new store. lovely customers with cars are impossible to avoid- they will drive past their local store and to the next town because even they want to shop at the nicer location. Walmart moves like that because they can coerce the city into giving them another 99-year lease and they can do their upgrade/remodel without disrupting business.

yes

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Zeluth posted:

I can't remember if Ames was strip mall or a brand of toothpaste purchased by Crest.

Same thing as K Mart, just a different name.

Also, I believe you are thinking of Aim brand toothpaste.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Amazon should buy out their real estate holdings and convert their stores into micro-distribution hubs/analytics driven stores.

Or, turn them into libraries.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
one of the most depressing sights of my young life was going to a K-Mart after school because it was in walking distance and seeing clearance racks of z-grade lingerie left over from Valentine's Day prominently displayed despite it being April

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Are you sure? D&D goons say outright that puts them in a FOOD DESERT and they are completely unable to do anything over being half a mile away from dingdongs and chocolate milk at all times.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

psyopmonkey posted:

Amazon should buy out their real estate holdings and convert their stores into micro-distribution hubs/analytics driven stores.

Or, turn them into libraries.

You didn't read the part about them being leased at low-low rates did you.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Add me to the list of people surprised that Kmart is still even a thing. I'd thought they'd closed down way back in 1987 when it turned out the kids they were selling had violent hallucinations and couldn't differentiate between fantasy and reality.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
k mart is a money laundering scheme

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Glasgow Kiss posted:

its a well known fact that if you go into a k-mart bathroom, turn off the lights, and spin around 3 times you will emerge from that store in the 1990's. after that you can go back further in time if you find a Sears and do the same thing

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I like to think Ames is in heaven waiting for his friend to at long last join him.

Caldores too.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
My mom would always try to drag me to Caldor to shop for clothes I had to beg her to take me to Bradlees.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

You didn't read the part about them being leased at low-low rates did you.

psyopmonkey is special :downs:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Are you sure? D&D goons say outright that puts them in a FOOD DESERT and they are completely unable to do anything over being half a mile away from dingdongs and chocolate milk at all times.

lol all the carless goons too lazy to walk a mile, color me shocked

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

lol all the carless goons too lazy to walk a mile, color me shocked

You just don't understand!

Then again, D&D did mod Exclamation Marx.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I go to K-Mart all the time, it's the only place near work that has 2-liters of diet root beer.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

once again the south fucks things up

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Mad Archivist posted:

look if you werent such a welfare queen you'd have a car and a house in the suburbs

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Monday_ posted:

I go to K-Mart all the time, it's the only place near work that has 2-liters of diet root beer.

Is that what you drink for lunch? 2L of diet soda?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hobohemian posted:

Is that what you drink for lunch? 2L of diet soda?

its diet its obvs healthy for you idiot

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

only really fat people drink tons of diet soda

it just goes to show that really fat people are fat because they're dumb as poo poo not GLANDS or whatever

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The Mad Archivist posted:

Just FYI that map is poo poo.

Unless you are going to tell me that there is a store everyplace in Nevada, Oregon (eastern half) Idaho and Utah.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The only soda i like is club and orangina

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pellegrino makes better orangina than orangina does.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

The only soda i like is club and orangina

Is that even soda?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you can make your own orangina with orange juice and club soda :monocle:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Is that even soda?

Idk it has bubbles. I dont like how cloying most soda tastes

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

gggiiimmmppp posted:

you can make your own orangina with orange juice and club soda :monocle:

Is that all it is, seriously? :aaa:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

InterceptorV8 posted:

Unless you are going to tell me that there is a store everyplace in Nevada, Oregon (eastern half) Idaho and Utah.

The few people that live in the remote parts of the country probably hunt game and/or have pallettes of food shipped to their y2k compounds.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hobohemian posted:

Is that all it is, seriously? :aaa:

PROTIP: make concentrated orangejuice with club soda instead of water

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

InterceptorV8 posted:

It does state "no supermarket nearby AND no car". Most rural people in Idaho and Utah probably have cars

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

readingatwork posted:

Add me to the list of people surprised that Kmart is still even a thing. I'd thought they'd closed down way back in 1987 when it turned out the kids they were selling had violent hallucinations and couldn't differentiate between fantasy and reality.

:owned: It's nice to see Calvin's dad have the last laugh every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
While K-Mart is depressing, a few years ago I went to a full sized Shopko and it was dimly lit and the video game section had nothing but microsoft word CDs and a million copies of the Left Behind game for 90 dollars.

• Locked thread