Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:stonk:

You are a wonderful woman. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
drat! That is one massive sheep! I hope he makes it ok.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
What's the average size for a sheep?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Writer Cath posted:

What's the average size for a sheep?

For a lamb? In a perfect world all first timers under 200 lbs would have 6-7 lb twins. My big experienced romeldale girls can handle big singles (their record is 12 lbs!) but the smaller girls do much better with a couple little lambs. Averages are all over the place though depending on breed and number of lambs and management. This seems to be a big lamb year for everyone although my average is staying down around 6 lbs. The farmer I got my romeldales from had a ewe give birth to twin 16 lb lambs! She did not look good afterwards and I haven't heard if she's made it long term. With the long, cold winter people fed more grain and ended up with big bubba lambs across the board.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How's the big lamb looking so far? Is he still doing okay? :ohdear:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How's the big lamb looking so far? Is he still doing okay? :ohdear:

His swelling is down so much today! He almost looks like a totally normal lamb. I haven't seen him nursing so that has me a little concerned but I'm happy to keep him fed until he is feeling good and figures it out.

Edit:
See, alive and (fairly) well.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 17, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Call him Gobstopper. Super cute!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Went out to give all my terrible little cormo boys their bedtime bottles and found Maddie with a head and a foot hanging out her back end limply. Luckily the head and foot belonged to the same baby but I could not find that other leg. I had to just gently but firmly drag the baby out and hope that other foot came out without a problem. Thank goodness Maddie dilated properly, unlike Page, so it wasn't too hard and she is just a little sore and confused about this horrible painful poo she just took that is now yelling at her. It's another 9 lb ram lamb! Bialy and I are going to have to have a little chat later.

"ew what is it???"

"well if i have to"

The little boy is on top of things and has started nursing already and he and Maddie have been stuck in a jug (a little pen) so she can't ditch him for the prospect of snacks elsewhere.

Meanwhile my little fighter ram is looking so good and figured out that moms have milk all the time! An exciting discovery for a little lamb who is just starting to be able to work his mouth. After gorging himself he waddled over for a cuddle :kimchi:

I have a big shearing job Saturday but I'll try to take my good camera out at some point. Cruddy camera pictures don't do these cuties justice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Glad to see the poor little guy's doing fine :allears:. Hope his jaw's healing okay.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Call him Gobstopper. Super cute!

Agreed.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I rescheduled my shearing appointment because I'm exhausted. Not so exhausted I couldn't take some baby pictures though.

The goat moms finally allowed their babies to go outside as long as they stayed close.

"Aaag a grass"

Anime goat

Babbies scritching themselves is the cutest thing to me, even with a blurry Taffy tail in the way.

Sassy little boats :kimchi:

Away!

Spotty little cormo man

I'm ridiculously attached to this crookyfaced little guy. Why couldn't you be a girl???

Romeldude why are you doing the smelly pee face already? You're only 3 weeks old!

This girlies' face spots are ridiculous.

The jacob girls. Johnnie's girl looks like a classic Dennis baby (even though she's a Dennis grandbaby) while Aster's girl looks more like Win's line.

And finally the little jacob man.

I'm inducing Eclair today. Given how giant all the cormo babies have been I don't want her baking that thing any longer than necessary. Hopefully she'll pop soon and I'll be done pulling giant cormo boys for the year!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I kept going "okay THAT'S the picture I'm gonna quote and comment on" but then it was all the pictures.

I can't handle this level of sheepgoatbaby.

:pusheen:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I'm ridiculously attached to this crookyfaced little guy. Why couldn't you be a girl???

Are all the new rams planned to be sold or would you keep any of them? Little brokejaw is something else. :kimchi:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

eating only apples posted:

Are all the new rams planned to be sold or would you keep any of them? Little brokejaw is something else. :kimchi:

I really, really don't need any more cormo boys because I already have 3. These guys are going to be castrated and I have a couple people wanting cormo fiber pets.

But I'll probably cave and keep at least one because I love my cormo boys :ssh:

Also have a virtual lamb petting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F4exV2Qe8g

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 18, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The horrible painful poo that is now yelling made me laugh.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Thank you for the new pictures and video InstantJellyfish! So dang adorable!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Eclair's baby: Bomb Pop. :colbert:

Seriously though, I was having an awful day and this great thread cheered me up. Cute and educational! Thanks to the boat and ship folks for doing this and keeping us updated.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm even more exhausted than usual because I was off shearing all day but I came home to a lamb! I have no idea how Eclair got this beast out herself, because yes its another giant ram lamb, but she seemed pretty sore and dazed when I walked in. This is the biggest yet, 10 lb 2 oz!

Sorry for the lovely picture, I'll take better ones of the big dude soon. We're done with cormos now and just have Jazz and Juniper to go. They're due the 24th and the 26th.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
He's a calico!!!!! (or is that afterbirth grossness)

Tell me he's a calico

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

pandaid posted:

He's a calico!!!!! (or is that afterbirth grossness)

Tell me he's a calico

It's extra gross afterbirth grossness

Unrelated, a friend asked me if the tiny bunnies hopped and I needed to provide video evidence. Forgive me for portrait mode I was very tired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNovZYCFDo4

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

It's extra gross afterbirth grossness

Unrelated, a friend asked me if the tiny bunnies hopped and I needed to provide video evidence. Forgive me for portrait mode I was very tired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNovZYCFDo4

You seem to have let a small mammoth sneak into your bunny den.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Slightly better pictures of the big beef cow.

He has a Y and a heart on his side :3:

Also a bun was eating a hay and it was unspeakably cute.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
My head might explode from all of the cute. Please post more!

Mar 25, 2004

This is the cute I needed today. God, those spotty girlie faces! That head flip! This is cute overload, and I love it.

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

This thread has made my day! :kimchi:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I really, really don't need any more cormo boys because I already have 3. These guys are going to be castrated and I have a couple people wanting cormo fiber pets.

But I'll probably cave and keep at least one because I love my cormo boys :ssh:

Also have a virtual lamb petting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F4exV2Qe8g

If I read that right and one's keeping his nads, I think poor little broke-jaw's earned them at least.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I read that right and one's keeping his nads, I think poor little broke-jaw's earned them at least.

DELICATE JAWBONES MUST BE ELIMINATED FROM THE MASTER SHEEP

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Suspect Bucket posted:

DELICATE JAWBONES MUST BE ELIMINATED FROM THE MASTER SHEEP

I'd actually go along with Suspect Bucket, here... IJ said that several of her lambs didn't have both legs out first this year, so if that's because of certain genes then snipping him might be the best course of action. Of course this means he'll likely stay nice and cuddly which is a plus! :3:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BlueOccamy posted:

I'd actually go along with Suspect Bucket, here... IJ said that several of her lambs didn't have both legs out first this year, so if that's because of certain genes then snipping him might be the best course of action. Of course this means he'll likely stay nice and cuddly which is a plus! :3:

Eh, I don't think poor birthing presentation has too much to do with poor or adverse genetics. I mean, if an animal repeatedly has problems birthing, you generally stop breeding them anyway unless they have some trait you really want to express. Gobstopper there got his mouf bust because they really had to yank on him I think, not because of any inherent flaw in his jaw. Sometimes you gotta grab on to whatever you can.

No livestock deserves hormones, it's all terrible. Every day at work now, EVERYTHING IS loving OR GIVING BIRTH. It's a little horrifying how the toms and roos have turned from sweet protective gents to murderfuckmachines. Neuth everything, ugh.

Including this rear end in a top hat. NOBODY IS FOOLED BY THE PUNK BEARDJOB AND HELLA SCARS GIMPO u aint hard

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 23, 2015

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Eh, I don't think poor birthing presentation has too much to do with poor or adverse genetics. I mean, if an animal repeatedly has problems birthing, you generally stop breeding them anyway unless they have some trait you really want to express. Gobstopper there got his mouf bust because they really had to yank on him I think, not because of any inherent flaw in his jaw. Sometimes you gotta grab on to whatever you can.

No livestock deserves hormones, it's all terrible. Every day at work now, EVERYTHING IS loving OR GIVING BIRTH. It's a little horrifying how the toms and roos have turned from sweet protective gents to murderfuckmachines. Neuth everything, ugh.

Including this rear end in a top hat. NOBODY IS FOOLED BY THE PUNK BEARDJOB AND HELLA SCARS GIMPO u aint hard

That goat is crazy scarred! Those ears! That giant knee! Wow. I like the beard dye though.

Dystocia/birthing difficulty is moderately heritable, at least in cows, but I'm not sure if it has to do with lamb positioning or ewe pelvic structure or what. The broken jaw wasn't his fault or a defect. It just happens when you use a jaw to drag a baby out of a pelvis. No matter, there's a chance these guys will be sold as fiber pets and I'm not selling rams as cuddly pets (even though I have 3 cormo rams and they adore hugs and aren't dangerous at all) so they'll probably all have a date with the burdizzo.

It snowed! I'm not sure who is angrier, me or the sheep. They're certainly complaining about it more. It's not a lot of snow luckily.

Everyone looks hunched up and cold in these pictures because it was freaking cold. It's almost May, come on Ohio.

Goatface

I felt really bad for my poor chilly lambs and sent them all back inside after a few hours. The little fake jacobs were feeling it the most.

The real jacobs are all much older and weren't bothered too much. This one is Johnnie's girl.

This guy is ridiculous. He likes to hide behind things then gets all upset when his mom walks off.

I can't wait for the last batch of jacobs! Jazz is due tomorrow. The spotty babies are really the best (except for all the other ones).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That goat is crazy scarred! Those ears! That giant knee! Wow. I like the beard dye though.

It's cake frosting. He was posing for photos for North Florida magizine, but my boss's dad decided it was a good time to start distributing the pig food, which is mostly old baked goods and cakes. And Gruff likes cake.

Gruff is our rescue star. He lived in a stable that got broken into by a 12 year old who then killed and mutilated about a dozen animals. Horses, donkeys, chickens, and goats. Gruff lived, the kid was charged and went to jail,but Gruff's then owners didnt think a billy goat was worth all those vet bills, so they chained him to a tree out back for a year. His knee set weird, his scars are insane and flybit, and by the time my boss found out about him, the chain was embedded in his neck. He also has CAE and CL, which we only found out about recently.

So he came to Celestial Farms. And it was quickly found out that he is the sweetest, most people loving goat in the world. He will gimp up to you on three legs from across the yard if you kiss at him. He's also quite capable of chasing the ladies around, and has fathered some impressive offspring. He's 5 now, just started on some new NSAIDs for arthritis, and we hope to keep him going happy and healthy for a few more years at least.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's cake frosting. He was posing for photos for North Florida magizine, but my boss's dad decided it was a good time to start distributing the pig food, which is mostly old baked goods and cakes. And Gruff likes cake.

Gruff is our rescue star. He lived in a stable that got broken into by a 12 year old who then killed and mutilated about a dozen animals. Horses, donkeys, chickens, and goats. Gruff lived, the kid was charged and went to jail,but Gruff's then owners didnt think a billy goat was worth all those vet bills, so they chained him to a tree out back for a year. His knee set weird, his scars are insane and flybit, and by the time my boss found out about him, the chain was embedded in his neck. He also has CAE and CL, which we only found out about recently.

So he came to Celestial Farms. And it was quickly found out that he is the sweetest, most people loving goat in the world. He will gimp up to you on three legs from across the yard if you kiss at him. He's also quite capable of chasing the ladies around, and has fathered some impressive offspring. He's 5 now, just started on some new NSAIDs for arthritis, and we hope to keep him going happy and healthy for a few more years at least.

:stwoon:

I.. I want to hug you and him.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lynza posted:

:stwoon:

I.. I want to hug you and him.

Aw! I didn't do anything, only been working at Celestial Farms for about 6 months now. My boss Veronica does it all.

Here's the original news article. http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-08-04/story/orange-park-boy-12-arrested-after-case-extreme-animal-cruelty-stable

quote:

The incident report states broken golf clubs and pipes were used to beat one pony's legs and the baby goats.

The pony's right rear leg was broken and cut open so horribly it was only hanging on by some skin. It was in such pain that it had to be euthanized.

One 2-year-old quarterhorse was cut on a shoulder with a knife but survived, as did a 1-year-old billy goat whose leg was injured. A baby chick was found decapitated at the scene as well, according to the police report.

"I'm appalled. I can't believe a child would do something like that," said Linda Worthington, a member of the Clay Mavericks Saddle Club next door to Hoilman's property. "What are these kids being taught?"

She said Hoilman came over to tell them what had happened and her granddaughter cried when she found out that one of the ponies she had known from birth had to be put down.

Super hosed up. In happier news, I took some video of him tonight! Splicing it together now.

edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQJPpOS8qG4 for Gruff skritchins

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 24, 2015

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

What the gently caress was wrong with that kid?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

That poor big man, I hope that kid gets some help because he is clearly seriously disturbed. It sucks that the goat has CAE too, thats going to gently caress up his already hosed up knee :(

I love his babby "mweeeh" :3:

Meanwhile I was mauled by small sheep. They chewed up my hand and pawed my face and I am dead and posting from the afterlife now.

If you're in the NE OH/NW PA area and you also want to be murdered by small adorable animals we're having an open house May 9th! If the FB event link doesn't work you can pm me for details.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Death by adorable babby animals actually sounds like a pretty boss way to go, if you have to choose.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I have FAT BABY PIGS

Also baby goats are growin.

Kidding was hellish. We had one mom get milk fever and literally drown in a bucket while she was being treated. (She was weak, stumbled while getting a drink, inhaled a bunch of water and died right there. I can't even.) So, the cou claire and red/white kid are twin bottle babies. The black stupid looking lamancha kid's twin brother bloated and died out of NOWHERE right in front of us. He went from "getting yelled at to go away while we were trying to feed the bottle babies" to "why is he making those sounds oh god" to "dead" in under 2 minutes. I opened him up and his stomach had flipped right over on itself. It's been a few weeks since there's been any drama though and everyone is stable and fine now, knock on wood.

Those pics are a couple weeks old; I need to take some new ones.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ouch...sorry about the troubles. :ohdear: Good luck with the rest of the family!

Those piggies! :kimchi:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
They're like Cormo pigs..

wait a minute...

We know someone who has Cormo sheep. What can this mean?

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

dee kid, has a funny face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Jazz was in labor last night. "Rub my neck unless I say otherwise" labor but not serious labor but I figured she's want to get things over with before breakfast (that girl is not going to miss breakfast for something silly like babies) and set my alarm for 4 am. Sure enough I get out just in time to see her cleaning up a big pile of babies like it was no big deal.

Two big girls and a little shrimpy boy. All are nursing and doing great this morning.

I'll be supplementing them as much as I can because Jazz is 10, loses condition easily when lactating and doesn't really have much condition to lose but she's an A+ mom and I'm sure they'll all do fine. Now I'm just waiting on Juniper and I'll be done for the year!

• Locked thread