Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I was just kidding :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Thanks, MaterialConceptual! While I'm asking stuff, what's the deal with Christine not having any weapons equipped (unless I'm mistaken)? Are the giant knuckledusters just bonus damage now?

That last update was brutal, but I feel it was kind of necessary since up til now, everything's pretty unreal in the sense that nobody seems to be realising the gravity of the situation - two world superpowers have declared war, people are dying and the bullets they shoot might actually kill people. Everyone's been so chilled out, considering they're frontline troops.
Great voice acting, though. And, I guess, there go my hopes of Randy turning out to be the moustache-twirling villain pulling the strings behind the scenes :smith:

I for one think it's pretty suspicious how many people in the army come from these "Homes". Almost like the're being kidnapped or even bred for it...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 15, 2015

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think those the arms she has equipped come with built-in weapons that count as knuckles for display purposes.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Crazy Achmed posted:

Thanks, MaterialConceptual! While I'm asking stuff, what's the deal with Christine not having any weapons equipped (unless I'm mistaken)? Are the giant knuckledusters just bonus damage now?

That last update was brutal, but I feel it was kind of necessary since up til now, everything's pretty unreal in the sense that nobody seems to be realising the gravity of the situation - two world superpowers have declared war, people are dying and the bullets they shoot might actually kill people. Everyone's been so chilled out, considering they're frontline troops.
Great voice acting, though. And, I guess, there go my hopes of Randy turning out to be the moustache-twirling villain pulling the strings behind the scenes :smith:

I for one think it's pretty suspicious how many people in the army come from these "Homes". Almost like the're being kidnapped or even bred for it...

Christine doesn't have any of the knuckles equipped because the Grapple's fists (Bare wanzer fists are called "hard blow" in FM games, and show up as knuckles in the menu in FM5) are super awesome at doing damage so we don't need a weapon at the moment.

As for the "Homes" the story doesn't seem to be entirely clear as to what they were all about. From the dialog we know that Walter and Randy were taken from their parents and put into them by the USN after they invaded, but what happened to their parents isn't really described in any detail. Now that's not to say that some important things about Walter's childhood aren't going to come up later in the game....

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
So.. Does this game actually have a plot or is it just history?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Steelpudding posted:

Someone doesn't care about Feng or why his old best friend Glenn straight up murdered his other best friend while piloting an elite wanzer way above his previously demonstrated skill level, even though he should have been in a pow camp for most of the war, if not all of it.

That's OK though; I'm sure Feng has absolutely no interest in what the hell just happened either, and will spend the rest of the game blindly following orders instead of investigating what actually happened as soon as he gets his first real clue.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Steelpudding posted:

haha what does that even mean

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

thetruegentleman posted:

Someone doesn't care about Feng or why his old best friend Glenn straight up murdered his other best friend while piloting an elite wanzer way above his previously demonstrated skill level, even though he should have been in a pow camp for most of the war, if not all of it.

That's OK though; I'm sure Feng has absolutely no interest in what the hell just happened either, and will spend the rest of the game blindly following orders instead of investigating what actually happened as soon as he gets his first real clue.

Victis posted:

haha what does that even mean

I'm 9 episodes in at the moment. So far there has been little of interest happening.

Don't get me wrong, I like Front Mission, but FM3 started a little faster than this.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Nice video quality and thanks for the translation patch, I wouldn't have even known had I not checked this thread.

Also could you please shrink the spread in the OP, I skipped through most of the text because of the incredible broken table even at high resolutions.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

Steelpudding posted:

I'm 9 episodes in at the moment. So far there has been little of interest happening.

Don't get me wrong, I like Front Mission, but FM3 started a little faster than this.

This is a very different game from FM3. You might say it's kind of experimental because of how the narrative works. I'll admit the plot starts off a bit slow, but Walter does have a personal story to get involved in.

Toadsniff posted:

Nice video quality and thanks for the translation patch, I wouldn't have even known had I not checked this thread.

Also could you please shrink the spread in the OP, I skipped through most of the text because of the incredible broken table even at high resolutions.

Didn't realize it was a problem, thanks for the heads up!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

While the story takes some time to start up it's nice that they don't have Walter, special forces soldier, ask "What the hell is that basic combat technique that random enemy grunts use all the time?" because that's really grating.

Also it's kinda needed to make the player care at least a little for your old team and Randy a little because otherwise he's just a plot device. Like this he's still a plot device but also one you trained and counted on for some combat roles.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm kinda bothered that FM3 is the farthest in the timeline and every game after it has Wanzers sliding 24/7 despite being much less advanced.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

While the story takes some time to start up it's nice that they don't have Walter, special forces soldier, ask "What the hell is that basic combat technique that random enemy grunts use all the time?" because that's really grating.

Also it's kinda needed to make the player care at least a little for your old team and Randy a little because otherwise he's just a plot device. Like this he's still a plot device but also one you trained and counted on for some combat roles.

It is nice that they offload the questioning from Walter to Randy for the first act so he doesn't end up sounding like Solid Snake.

Tae posted:

I'm kinda bothered that FM3 is the farthest in the timeline and every game after it has Wanzers sliding 24/7 despite being much less advanced.

Yeah this isn't a series with a lot of retcons, but that is an annoying one. I'm sure if they ever remade FM3 they would adjust things accordingly (Not that that will ever happen).

EDIT: Just for a progress update, I've got the video editor issues mostly sorted out and I'm starting on writing up the script for the plot summary.

Also I'm sorry about the screwy OP. I guess the problem is that the image is too large, so I will try to downscale it again tomorrow.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 16, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

After burning some midnight oil I finished editing the plot summary video, but unfortunately I've run into problem with rendering for Youtube, and I'm waiting on some tech support to get that all sorted out. Hopefully it shouldn't be much longer now!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The people need to know the truth behind Huffman!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

The people need to know the truth behind Huffman!

Absolutely! And I am happy to oblige! Just call me Frederick Lancaster :eng101:

Here is the plot summary! I know the image quality is pretty rough in places but it was really hard to track down high quality images for some of stuff, especially corporate logos, and I have to put my PhD first. I also know the audio quality is a bit spotty, but hopefully you'll forgive the technical faults since you're getting all this awesome lore!

EDIT: I should mention that the B Device still you see in this video is from an ultra-rare Front Mission 1 manga we just recently were able to get our hands on. As far as I know it is the only time a real B Device is depicted in the FM series.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 21, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Well poo poo, now I understand what you were saying about me not being off the mark with my Orphan Heart comment.

Edit: I guess I would have known this if I had ever finished Front Mission 1.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 21, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Well poo poo, now I understand what you were saying about me not being off the mark with my Orphan Heart comment.

Edit: I guess I would have known this if I had ever finished Front Mission 1.

Oh yeah, I believe that when you fight him Koichi Sakata has a comment to the effect of: "Would it have been more ethical to use embryos?"

I'll talk a bit more about this in the next video or when the neuroscience stuff comes up again.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
As someone who had read Dog Life and Dog Style plus played FM1 and the prequel, I always loved the political intrigue and sheer background content. This is the kind of stuff people would have liked from Japan as it felt a lot more mature than other JRPGs out there nowadays. Hell, the manga felt like a HBO series but still had that OCU Damashi setting it back.

Too bad FME destroyed all of that goodwill that FM created by making something even more basic level than FM3.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 21, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

gyrobot posted:

As someone who had read Dog Life and Dog Style plus played FM1 and the prequel, I always loved the political intrigue and sheer background content. This is the kind of stuff people would have liked from Japan as it felt a lot more mature than other JRPGs out there nowadays. Hell, the manga felt like a HBO series but still had that OCU Damashi setting it back.

Too bad FME destroyed all of that goodwill that FM created by making something even more basic level than FM3.

Yeah I'll probably talk about that more when we get to the FM4 section.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Just saw this and read the OP, I've always thought the Front Mission games looked interesting but I could never manage to really get into them. Possibly because I never got in the ground floor and played the original game. But, hearing about this being the capstone of the series, I'm thinking I might try the games out again, and just wanted to say thanks for reviving my interest in the series. And for doing a translation patch of 5, that is awesome.

Oh, and is there going to be talk of Front Mission Evolved? Because I could go for talking about Front Mission Evolved. :allears:

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Just saw this and read the OP, I've always thought the Front Mission games looked interesting but I could never manage to really get into them. Possibly because I never got in the ground floor and played the original game. But, hearing about this being the capstone of the series, I'm thinking I might try the games out again, and just wanted to say thanks for reviving my interest in the series. And for doing a translation patch of 5, that is awesome.

Oh, and is there going to be talk of Front Mission Evolved? Because I could go for talking about Front Mission Evolved. :allears:

There will certainly be some discussion of FME! Although it will be slightly later in the game that I get into it.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It really was an amazingly stupid idea: either the living pilot would screw up, overriding the brain and thus rendering it useless, or the brains would be in full control, which means that the pilot is just wasted space. Even better, both the brain AND the living pilot would need to be equipped with the same kinds of weapons that they were used to: a soldier brain that used missiles would be worthless when paired with a strike pilot/wanzer.

And the attrition! Each disabled Wanzer would need to be utterly destroyed in order to hide the brains from the public and the pilots, which would be terribly expensive, as it would deny parts to reuse; better yet, if even ONE such machine remained intact, the brains would be discovered, and the entire program would come crashing down. It's some kind of evil-conspiracy Ponzi scheme, where each person down the org chart has to be just as evil as the person on top, or the whole thing comes crashing down.

Even as a last ditch attempt to prevent bankruptcy, this was a bad idea.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

It really was an amazingly stupid idea: either the living pilot would screw up, overriding the brain and thus rendering it useless, or the brains would be in full control, which means that the pilot is just wasted space. Even better, both the brain AND the living pilot would need to be equipped with the same kinds of weapons that they were used to: a soldier brain that used missiles would be worthless when paired with a strike pilot/wanzer.

And the attrition! Each disabled Wanzer would need to be utterly destroyed in order to hide the brains from the public and the pilots, which would be terribly expensive, as it would deny parts to reuse; better yet, if even ONE such machine remained intact, the brains would be discovered, and the entire program would come crashing down. It's some kind of evil-conspiracy Ponzi scheme, where each person down the org chart has to be just as evil as the person on top, or the whole thing comes crashing down.

As Royd demonstrate, it works well if the pilot and the B-Type had previous emotional bonds as seen with Karen. Royd was able to use the B-Type with ease as it adapted to all situation (it had 99 in all stats)

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

gyrobot posted:

As Royd demonstrate, it works well if the pilot and the B-Type had previous emotional bonds as seen with Karen. Royd was able to use the B-Type with ease as it adapted to all situation (it had 99 in all stats)

Actually the Raven is still very powerful in Front MIssion 2, even without those connections. All the reasons thetruegentleman mentioned are probably why the B Device never got produced again though (There was the model in FM3, but it's not clear that it actually had a B Device inside).

EDIT: Actually I should correct myself, the Raven in FM2 never had a B Device in it. It was only the FM1 Ravens that did.

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 22, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

I don't think we know enough about the inner workings of the B-type device to declare it "worthless". The fact is that B-type computers (Note, they are considered computers in FM1, as in devices that assist the pilot in complex tasks rather than outright controlling the wanzer) from a gameplay standpoint were super powerful. They had their flaws which were mentioned in the summary video but they still gave a significant edge to the pilots using them.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 22, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

I don't think we know enough about the inner workings of the B-type device to declare it "worthless". The fact is that B-type computers (Note, they are considered computers in FM1, as in devices that assist the pilot in complex tasks rather than outright controlling the wanzer) from a gameplay standpoint were super powerful. They had their flaws which were mentioned in the summary video but they still gave a significant edge to the pilots using them.

I'll definitely be talking about this in the next video, which I HOPE will be up tomorrow. I'm very busy this week but I've been itching to get back to FM5.

EDIT: Just finished doing my dry run through the base dialog, so I think tomorrow should happen!

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 23, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Alright after a long delay here is the next episode! I had to re-record this episode a lot of times because of various recording issues, but I've got things nicely set up now and I think I should be able to upload more frequently this week.

EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to talk about the B-Device stuff on my last recording of this section, so I will try to cover that in the next video!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

This is not at all related to the translation itself, but the way everybody keeps addressing Lynn as "sir" is incorrect. Superior officers are adressed as "Ma'am" or simply by their rank because it's proper use of the English language. This is also true in my own native language, except it is required to address a superior by their gender and military rank at all times i.e "ma'am first lieutenant".

I'm rather curious what are the official guidelines in Japan Defence Forces because I believe Japanese doesn't have gender specific nouns?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Pickled brains and giant robots are perfectly okay but I'm offended at the waste of flight deck real estate on that carrier.

E: Also a few NATO style symbols during briefings would be nice instead of the generic Box With An X In It which just makes it look like we're gonna shoot a lot of infantry.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 27, 2015

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

This is not at all related to the translation itself, but the way everybody keeps addressing Lynn as "sir" is incorrect. Superior officers are adressed as "Ma'am" or simply by their rank because it's proper use of the English language. This is also true in my own native language, except it is required to address a superior by their gender and military rank at all times i.e "ma'am first lieutenant".

I'm rather curious what are the official guidelines in Japan Defence Forces because I believe Japanese doesn't have gender specific nouns?

I looked into it and SDF members usually respond to an order with "Hai" (Yes) "Ryokai" (Understood) or "Ha" (Which in Japanese is written as はっ to indicate that it is a clipped hai that indicates the speaker's seriousness). The whole "yes sir" thing seems to be a weird misconception perpetuated by American TV shows such as Star Trek on occasion. While a female superior officer CAN be addressed as "sir" in the US military, it is certainly not normal or considered polite. This always bothered me too. I looked into how many female commanders there actually are in the Japanese military, and it seems that there have been female ship captains in the JMSDF since 2013 (So well after FM5 was released). The article I found said that about 5% of the SDF is female, but it also said that women are getting commanding roles in the SDF faster than they are getting into management in the private sector (Which is incredibly slowly).

SIGSEGV posted:

Pickled brains and giant robots are perfectly okay but I'm offended at the waste of flight deck real estate on that carrier.

E: Also a few NATO style symbols during briefings would be nice instead of the generic Box With An X In It which just makes it look like we're gonna shoot a lot of infantry.

That was another thing that always bothered me! I have to admit that I didn't notice the lack of NATO style symbols but now that you mention it I'll never be able to unsee that!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Alright here is the next video! We're finally back to doing some missions, and we get to see some wanzers do a HALO drop! :rock:

Of course I forgot to talk about the B Device again, but maybe the third time will be the charm... :eng99:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The blue/gray is resembles common navy BDUs so it's all good. I went with that color scheme except I think I chose "Marine Blue", obviously.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

It's a night-time assault. Gray and Blue would probably be moderately good as camo!

That HALO drop was very impressive too.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

SIGSEGV posted:

It's probably not wasted space; weaponry (probably missiles) should be located in the areas where the flight deck would otherwise be, and the deck itself is smaller because of the increase in VTOL capable aircraft and the cost of stealth materials makes a large deck inefficient (a smaller deck also reduces air drag, making the ship faster). The size of the tower/bridge is odd considering its supposed to be a stealth ship, but it was probably made that way to facilitate electronic warfare/targeting, as radar is probably just a minor part of joint targeting by this point, meaning that shooting missiles down is probably more important than trying to evade detection at all but the farthest ranges.

Unless, of course, the carrier is submersible; that would answer/bring up all kinds of design questions.

Also, the idea of airdropping a Wanzer is hilarious: it's bad enough that wanzers somehow only weigh a third of a modern main battle tank's tonnage (in fact, wanzers would classify as a light tank), but the size of the transports and the wanzers themselves should make them almost impossible to miss; the base defenses must have been bought from Bob's Discount Base Defense Emporium.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Ugh, I forgot how difficult it is to find any information about the unlockable secret wanzers anywhere.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

It's probably not wasted space; weaponry (probably missiles) should be located in the areas where the flight deck would otherwise be, and the deck itself is smaller because of the increase in VTOL capable aircraft and the cost of stealth materials makes a large deck inefficient (a smaller deck also reduces air drag, making the ship faster). The size of the tower/bridge is odd considering its supposed to be a stealth ship, but it was probably made that way to facilitate electronic warfare/targeting, as radar is probably just a minor part of joint targeting by this point, meaning that shooting missiles down is probably more important than trying to evade detection at all but the farthest ranges.

Unless, of course, the carrier is submersible; that would answer/bring up all kinds of design questions.

Also, the idea of airdropping a Wanzer is hilarious: it's bad enough that wanzers somehow only weigh a third of a modern main battle tank's tonnage (in fact, wanzers would classify as a light tank), but the size of the transports and the wanzers themselves should make them almost impossible to miss; the base defenses must have been bought from Bob's Discount Base Defense Emporium.

I don't really know about the stealth characteristics but way it looks makes it appear far more for looking cool rather than stealth. Which is okay, it's just that both regular, full-size carriers and smaller true VTOL carriers (like our good old hull Q860) have fairly standard designs that can then be made stealthier.

Same concerns about the opening artillery strike of our attack, probably cruise missiles but never expanded upon, I guess when you want giant robots, and we definitely want them, you've got to make room for them first.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

The blue/gray is resembles common navy BDUs so it's all good. I went with that color scheme except I think I chose "Marine Blue", obviously.

Green Intern posted:

It's a night-time assault. Gray and Blue would probably be moderately good as camo!

That HALO drop was very impressive too.

Yeah it's certainly not the worst camo option imaginable! I will have to check out that Marine Blue and see how it looks.

thetruegentleman posted:

You're right about the VTOL craft possibly being more common, but the carriers we see in the HALO scene use traditional fixed wing jet engines. As for the rest of it, well this is a game about giant robots so you're right that we have to give the devs a bit of creative license!

Koorisch posted:

Ugh, I forgot how difficult it is to find any information about the unlockable secret wanzers anywhere.

Check the Secrets FAQ and the Survival Simulator / Parts FAQs on GameFAQs.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's our twentieth episode! Things went better than expected this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Fights against big mobile weapons are the best parts of the Front Mission series. I'm guessing that getting right up in those things' faces is the best way to beat them? They don't have a pile bunker like the last boss.

• Locked thread