Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Roblo posted:

I will never, ever, understand the Dangan Ronpa furore. It's just...so bizarre. People also get really really weird about the fact that SA charges for an account.

To be fair, these people would just get really weird over something else.

Like Trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Garry's Mod has an anti-piracy 'bug' where the game will declare itself to be 'unable to shade polygon normals', in an error message that also includes the user's Steam ID. Anybody asking about this bug not only outed themselves as a pirate, but made it very specifically clear who they were when they did it.

As for non-piracy-related dick moves, I love Super Paper Mario, the game that hates you, the player, specifically.
One level pretends to be about holding right in the same room for hours.
Another level literally is just holding right to walk across a featureless plain.
The villain of the third chapter is a goony neckbeard who complains about literally everything he enjoys and kidnaps Peach to force her to participate in a dating sim.
There is a three textbox-long password that is only stated once. Using it is required to progress.
You have to complete the hardest challenge in the game twice to face the bonus boss and get the reward, because the game doesn't think you mean it when you do it the first time.

While I don't know if its ever happened with Garry's Mod, I've heard stories of those anti-pirate things occasionally bugging out and nailing non-pirates. Kind of unfortunate when they the more malicious type.

That said, that particularly reminds me of the one the devs put into Arkham Asylum, which if I remember correctly made Batman not glide correctly, making a particular section impassible and many people out themselves as pirates on the dev's forums.

Also on a paper mario note: I recall at the end of Thousand Year Door, halfway through the final boss fight, the boss gives you one of those non-choice "come on, join me" sorts of choices. Only you can choose to side with them. The game will prompt you with are "are you serious?" to which hitting yes will give you a game over, leaving you to reload your game and redo the first part of the boss.

I want to say there's another one of those sorts dialog choices in Paper Mario. I love when developers let you say "no" to the "but thou must" question.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Oxyclean posted:

I want to say there's another one of those sorts dialog choices in Paper Mario. I love when developers let you say "no" to the "but thou must" question.

I don't know about the first one, but in Super Paper Mario you can refuse to help and let the universe crumble into darkness right at the start of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

While I don't know if its ever happened with Garry's Mod, I've heard stories of those anti-pirate things occasionally bugging out and nailing non-pirates. Kind of unfortunate when they the more malicious type.

That said, that particularly reminds me of the one the devs put into Arkham Asylum, which if I remember correctly made Batman not glide correctly, making a particular section impassible and many people out themselves as pirates on the dev's forums.

As funny as these things can be, the false positives are a danger with all of them so I'm not sure they're ea good idea. I remember someone on SA posting about a problem they were getting with serious sam 3 where their view would lock in some weird direction on the second level, which was actually a separate pirate troll from the pink scorpion. They got probated and people made fun of them because it looked like they pirated it, then they linked to their list of owned games on steam and they really did own the game legitimately.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I don't know about the first one, but in Super Paper Mario you can refuse to help and let the universe crumble into darkness right at the start of the game.

This is one of the better details of super paper mario. My complaints with the rest of the game still stand but I love that they let you do this. It really lets you go ahead and say "No, gently caress that! I don't want to save the world! Do it yourself!" and the game ends right there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

As funny as these things can be, the false positives are a danger with all of them so I'm not sure they're ea good idea. I remember someone on SA posting about a problem they were getting with serious sam 3 where their view would lock in some weird direction on the second level, which was actually a separate pirate troll from the pink scorpion. They got probated and people made fun of them because it looked like they pirated it, then they linked to their list of owned games on steam and they really did own the game legitimately.

This is one of the better details of super paper mario. My complaints with the rest of the game still stand but I love that they let you do this. It really lets you go ahead and say "No, gently caress that! I don't want to save the world! Do it yourself!" and the game ends right there.

SA mods are probate happy though. I have a legit copy of Phoenix Wright 1 and I have it on a flashcart. I didn't want to replay everything up to the last case (I had a friends copy but he took if back to trade in before I could finish) so I asked where I could get a save file and I got probated for :filez:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

As funny as these things can be, the false positives are a danger with all of them so I'm not sure they're ea good idea.

Yeah, I remember there being a shitstorm surrounding the PC version of the Ghostbusters game, where some combination of factors would trigger the anti-piracy measure (the invincible chandelier, if memory serves) and people were getting banned from GameFAQs for posting about it even after it was known that legit copies could have the problem.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is the most terrible goddamn thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ryoshi posted:

All the shared account bans and re-regs were hilarious :allears:.
You could spot them just by their posts.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

I dunno, Count Vlad McNugget there is pretty loving hilarious.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Oxyclean posted:

Also on a paper mario note: I recall at the end of Thousand Year Door, halfway through the final boss fight, the boss gives you one of those non-choice "come on, join me" sorts of choices. Only you can choose to side with them. The game will prompt you with are "are you serious?" to which hitting yes will give you a game over, leaving you to reload your game and redo the first part of the boss.

I'm presently slowly LPing Gargoyle's Quest for the Game Boy, and the game is full of "but thou must" questions. I learned for the first time while going through for the LP (Despite having played the game for over 20 years) that one of them in the middle, which is a completely banal question about the game's lore, can actually screw you out of progress in the game.

To make matters worse, at the end of the game, the final boss asks you to join him before you fight him, and if you accept, he says it's a trick, and then depowers you, forcing you to fight him with your abilities limited to the starting level. It's possible to win that way, but it's MUCH harder.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYUoLM8BNA

The ending to this Jurassic Park game I have never played, featuring Jeff Goldblum

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sure, but you get that with any anti-piracy system. The funny ones don't get done often because, at least if you're up-front about "this game uses this anti-piracy measure" and it trips accidentally, people know what to blame. If you put in a secret troll method to make the game poo poo, people just may think the game is poo poo.

Wasn't there a game that totally botched their jokey anti-piracy code and got terrible reviews because of it? I know a lot of people tear apart games just because they have some awful, explicit system but I could swear there was a game that got bad reviews for a hidden one.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All the shared account bans and re-regs were hilarious :allears:.
You could spot them just by their posts.

I still remember "intriguingly moe"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If we're gonna talk about it we gotta post these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

So fuckin good. Classic poo poo right here.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Golden Sun does this too.

For content The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure game, in order to solve the final puzzle of the game you need one item to win. The trick is it's chosen randomly from one of seven items you had to pick up through the game. The trick is if you are missing ANY of the 7 items it will ask you for one of the items you don't have. At this point you wouldn't be able to get it and would need to start the game over. Text adventures back then we're pretty dicking but that stood out.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

For content The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure game, in order to solve the final puzzle of the game you need one item to win. The trick is it's chosen randomly from one of seven items you had to pick up through the game. The trick is if you are missing ANY of the 7 items it will ask you for one of the items you don't have. At this point you wouldn't be able to get it and would need to start the game over. Text adventures back then we're pretty dicking but that stood out.

And that's all after the Babelfish dispenser bit, where if memory serves if you go step-by-step figuring out what you screwed up in the last iteration the dispenser will be empty on what would be your final, successful attempt.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Sure, but you get that with any anti-piracy system. The funny ones don't get done often because, at least if you're up-front about "this game uses this anti-piracy measure" and it trips accidentally, people know what to blame. If you put in a secret troll method to make the game poo poo, people just may think the game is poo poo.

Wasn't there a game that totally botched their jokey anti-piracy code and got terrible reviews because of it? I know a lot of people tear apart games just because they have some awful, explicit system but I could swear there was a game that got bad reviews for a hidden one.

I think that was the Game Dev Tycoon one, where people got super mad they'd lose because of all their games being pirated.

What's really funny about that one is that there was no way to trip it on a legit copy, it was a completely seperate second version that the devs put on torrent sites themselves.

My favorite thing that would out pirated copies is still the boat from Deus Ex. A minor dialogue file went missing on the version most people torrented, so a dialogue with a boat wouldn't trigger and people would get stuck on the first island.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

No no, it's better than that. You can only take one item into the final room, and the game will always ask for one of the ones you haven't got. You can't even wear your dressing-gown because the space is too tight to fit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think that was the Game Dev Tycoon one, where people got super mad they'd lose because of all their games being pirated.

What's really funny about that one is that there was no way to trip it on a legit copy, it was a completely seperate second version that the devs put on torrent sites themselves.

My favorite thing that would out pirated copies is still the boat from Deus Ex. A minor dialogue file went missing on the version most people torrented, so a dialogue with a boat wouldn't trigger and people would get stuck on the first island.

The depressing side of that was apparently they made the game ping their servers based on which version was being played and it turned out that like 90% of the people playing it had stolen t. I think the people that made World of Goo complained about similar things. The number of legit copies of it being played at any given moment was in the single digits of percent. As much as game culture likes to talk about how much they adore people that makes games it seems that a large number of them really just want everything handed to them free and with a rider of "go ahead and call in death threats if you want, we don't mind."

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Dabir posted:

No no, it's better than that. You can only take one item into the final room, and the game will always ask for one of the ones you haven't got. You can't even wear your dressing-gown because the space is too tight to fit.

So... can you even win? That sounds beyond trolling, just plain dickishness :shepface:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Elkyrie posted:

So... can you even win? That sounds beyond trolling, just plain dickishness :shepface:

Welcome to Adventure games!

There was a reason why the genre died out and it was bullshit like that did it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's possible to win only if you've gotten every possible item you could need by that point. If you're missing even one, you've hosed up and you've doomed the galaxy. Text adventure games of that era were insanely dickish. I remember reading that at one point, you have to feed a dog a sandwich really early in the game with no indication that you can or should do it. If you didn't, then you'll find out that you cannot proceed a few hours later, well after Earth has blown up and you have no way of rectifying that mistake.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ChaosArgate posted:

It's possible to win only if you've gotten every possible item you could need by that point. If you're missing even one, you've hosed up and you've doomed the galaxy. Text adventure games of that era were insanely dickish. I remember reading that at one point, you have to feed a dog a sandwich really early in the game with no indication that you can or should do it. If you didn't, then you'll find out that you cannot proceed a few hours later, well after Earth has blown up and you have no way of rectifying that mistake.

PLus if you didn't get the mail out of your mailbox, you were, thus, hosed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The depressing side of that was apparently they made the game ping their servers based on which version was being played and it turned out that like 90% of the people playing it had stolen t. I think the people that made World of Goo complained about similar things. The number of legit copies of it being played at any given moment was in the single digits of percent. As much as game culture likes to talk about how much they adore people that makes games it seems that a large number of them really just want everything handed to them free and with a rider of "go ahead and call in death threats if you want, we don't mind."

While I don't pirate games, the lack of demos being a thing anymore has really really hurt my willingness to take a chance on most new games. There is so much absolute crap out there that unless multiple people's who's opinions I usually agree with recommend something, I'm never willing to waste my money.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Text adventure games of that era were insanely dickish.

I would like to point out that Wishbringer, one of Infocom's few adventure games that were completely logical, did not require a ton of foreknowledge, and could be beaten with a full score after just a few tries, was rated more or less as a children's game by the developers. Let that sink in - if you wanted to play a text adventure game that made any drat sense whatsoever, you had to buy from the "kiddie games" rack alongside Reader Rabbit and Math Blasters. Don't get me wrong - I love a good puzzle. I love a good hard puzzle, and I can even tolerate puzzles that sort of make sense after solving them. But so many puzzles of the text adventure era only made marginal sense after solving them, at best, and made no sense as a line from start-to-finish, because they were designed in entirely the opposite direction.

I won't even get into the point-and-click games of the era, other than to say that in the days before GameFAQs, the sole determining factor of whether or not I bought a Sierra / Dynamix game was whether or not the store carried the hintbook because of the sheer number of ways you could die/lose and not have any idea why - I think Willy Beamish was the first game I ever played that used the gimmick where succeeding at a certain task gave you the exact same cutscene as failing, up until the point where it changed to let you know you had, in fact, succeeded.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
In Memoria near the first of the game a guy says he's going to give you a riddle and asks if you like riddles. If you say no, it's game over.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

In The Last Of Us, at the start of the main game (not the disease outbreak sequence) you walk down the city street past some armed guards with prisoners. If you bump into one of the guards he'll shout at you and push you away.

Do it a couple more times and he'll shoot you dead.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
In the Resistance addon for the original Operation Flashpoint, you're a normal guy going to his job & hanging out with his normal farmer friends when a squad of Russians barge in and demand you join their army, or something to that extent. The point is to make your escape and end up joining the resistance, but you can actually join the Red Army for about three missions after which they execute you.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

The slow cloud from Braid should always be mentioned for awesome trolls. There is a cloud in one of the levels that is moving so slowly, it is almost impossible to notice it is moving at all. To get one of the hidden stars in the game, you have to not only realize that it is moving but ride it for 2 hours.

The turtle in Wasteland 2 is more recent and in the same vein. In one of the villages, you can find a turtle that is stuck on its back. If you choose to flip the turtle over it will start very. slowly. walking. If you follow this turtle, you will realize that it is not just some random AI movement; that turtle is following a set and defined path that eventually takes you ALL over this village. Following this turtle for what felt like a half an hour, I was rewarded with a new dig spot. In this dig spot was a normal loot drop.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thingyman posted:

The slow cloud from Braid should always be mentioned for awesome trolls. There is a cloud in one of the levels that is moving so slowly, it is almost impossible to notice it is moving at all. To get one of the hidden stars in the game, you have to not only realize that it is moving but ride it for 2 hours.

If I'm not mistaken don't you have to keep moving your character with the cloud so he doesn't fall off?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don't forget how if you finished the one puzzle you couldn't get a star and had to restart.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RagnarokAngel posted:

Golden Sun trolled the poo poo out of me because I must have restarted the game about 4 times before I realized you were SUPPOSED to lose at that specific fight early on. I was like 11 though.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

In the beginning of The Sims for GameCube, you're placed in a dream mansion filled with cool poo poo with a lady in a bathtub in the middle. The game wants you to go to the bathtub to continue the game... But cool poo poo is around. While walking around the lady tries to convince you to join her. The conversation goes something like:

"Why don't you join me in the bathtub?" :bigtran:
"This bathtub feels soooo good. I'm sure you will like it." :shobon:
"Come on, why aren't you in yet?" :confused:
"The water is getting cold... And so am I." :colbert:
"Okay, you know what? I'm tired of waiting! It's GAME OVER!!" :owned:

And the game resets to the beginning.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

poptart_fairy posted:

If I'm not mistaken don't you have to keep moving your character with the cloud so he doesn't fall off?

I think you fall off if you leave it long enough for your character to slowly push up against the cliff face, but even then you can just rewind back to right before that point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Elkyrie posted:

Sure you can win, you just have to look into the future! See, throughout the game you can collect (but can totally miss) four pieces of fluff, which when put into the weird thing your aunt gave you (luckily this can't be missed because whenever you throw it away it comes back to you a few turns later) and taken into the sauna, turns out to be a fluff tree that grows fruit that gives you limited prescience. Eating the fruit gives you a vision of the item you'll need, which locks it down. The in-game Guide will tell you about this property of fluff, if you think to check it.

The game is definitely complete bullshit.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
^^^ welp

Elkyrie posted:

Sure, you can win, by growing a plant from four pieces of pocket lint you have to search for in completely random areas of the universe and collect for no particular reason. The fruit the plant grows will grant you a vision of the future that will tell you which tool you need to bring with you. Perfectly logical!

This game also had a puzzle where the parser out-and-out lied to you and you had to keep looking at the room to get it to admit it was lying after all and tell you what was actually there.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

Don't forget how if you finished the one puzzle you couldn't get a star and had to restart.

It's actually brilliant because it's a commentary on obsession and :tvtropes:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if people didn't think about it or don't consider it a troll, but M'aiq The Liar in Skyrim has a few lines that come from people bitching about this-or-that on their forums.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh man, it actually lied to you twice. Once where if you kept looking at the room, it would keep giving you changing descriptions of the room having nothing at all in it until giving up and admitting the truth. But in the other case, it was just an empty room and the game told you "There is an exit to port."

quote:

>W
You can't go that way.
>W
You can't go that way.
>S
(We lied about the exit to port.)
You emerge into etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not sure if people didn't think about it or don't consider it a troll, but M'aiq The Liar in Skyrim has a few lines that come from people bitching about this-or-that on their forums.

that's been the purpose of ma'iq since morrowind

• Locked thread