Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fintilgin posted:

"Ah, that's an unlock, so it's almost certainly the optimal choice"

Not that removing the indicators always helps. I could always tell what the unlock was in Fallout 2, because it would be the three-paragraph essay on the rights on man while everything else was some variation on "lol".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

One big change is that it removes the [Strength 13] notice from before the dialogue "I'm going to smash your knees" so you dont know if it is a regular speech option or a special one.

So on expert mode you won't know if "I'm gonna kick your face in!" is a successful Might roll or a failed Diplomacy attempt?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

homeless poster posted:

Unless you're going for Tripple Crown Solo and you don't need to worry about friendly fire :getin:

Without the explicit caster supremacy of the AD&D ruleset, I'm having a hard time even speculating which class might be the most viable for that particular achievement. Maybe chanter, since they can wear heavy armor without it really affecting their class abilities? Plus they can spam mobs to try and create temporary targets for the monster swarms.

Dunno, but I imagine it will involve maxing stealth to avoid lots of nasty combats. Probably a specific set of stats too, that let you talk your way out of some particular hard but otherwise unavoidable encounters.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

All blunderbuss projectiles fire at the same target, so no. What *does* work is "on hit" or *on crit" effects going off 8 times simultaneously, though even there effects with duration don't "stack," just the longest duration one applies. I'm quietly hoping that somewhere there's a blunderbuss with "on hit: random spell" for maximum comedy.

So if that Ranger bouncing shot skill goes off, is that 8 bullets that can bounce to other targets? Or do all 8 of them bounce to the same target?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not that removing the indicators always helps. I could always tell what the unlock was in Fallout 2, because it would be the three-paragraph essay on the rights on man while everything else was some variation on "lol".

[Requires: Metagaming 6]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eej posted:

So if that Ranger bouncing shot skill goes off, is that 8 bullets that can bounce to other targets? Or do all 8 of them bounce to the same target?

No loving clue, I haven't even touched rangers. I know from testing with my Cipher than when I tried the Envenomed Strike talent with a blunderbuss, it proc'd 8 separate times on the target, once for each hit, but only one instance of the dot "took" because of the stacking rules. My guess is that a bouncing shot ability like that with a blunderbuss would send eight small shots careening off in random directions and they might all strike the same enemy but they might not.

edit: looking at the description for "driving shot" it hits second targets in a 20 degree arc for less damage. Each shot would get reduced individually but most would probably strike the same target because there are only going to be so many targets behind a first target in a 20 degree arc. Would be fun in a narrow corridor though.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Yes and no. Some abilities are "all targets," other abilties are "foe aoe" and only hit enemies, so you can pick and choose. Also, whatever bonus radius you get from Intelligence is always foe-only.

So in the grease fire example, the burning grease hits whoever it hits but the flames are only magically augmented on foes? :captainpop:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Also how does it run?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Stealth is a big part of soloing but you can take it on all classes so you're not limited to Rogues. Solo rogues I don't enjoy since they're so flimsy, and excel best when a group is apply debuff effects. Solo chanters I don't like because they can't do much until like 9 seconds into a fight, and on Path of the Damned you're probably dead at the 5 second mark. A solo stealthy monk is what I had the most success with, though I didn't try Fighter, Wizard or Druid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So in the grease fire example, the burning grease hits whoever it hits but the flames are only magically augmented on foes? :captainpop:

Game doesn't have like grease + fire effects like D:OS but the first level wizard spell "slicken" is all targets, not foe only. You can usually position it so enemies get hit with it but not your guys though; the added safe zone from int for allies is still safe zone.

At the same time though there are other spells that are "foe only" so I generally just pick those instead, especially on my cipher.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Stealth is a big part of soloing but you can take it on all classes so you're not limited to Rogues. Solo rogues I don't enjoy since they're so flimsy, and excel best when a group is apply debuff effects. Solo chanters I don't like because they can't do much until like 9 seconds into a fight, and on Path of the Damned you're probably dead at the 5 second mark. A solo stealthy monk is what I had the most success with, though I didn't try Fighter, Wizard or Druid.

One of the best things PoE did was making sneaking and lockpicking available for all classes. No need to to drag rogue along just for those things like in IE games.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Please include something in the OP explaining ligatures, I don't understand what they are for and I don't want to accidentally mispronounce any elfs, thanks.

Will there be any way to 're-spec' a character, or easily open up a character file to gently caress with its stats in case I make a poor build decision with this unfamiliar system. I want a wizard who gets magic stuff out quick, because I remember 'Improved Alacrity' was the best thing in BG2, and I will be very disappointed if I figure out five hours later that a Smart Wizard would've worked a lot better overall.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StringOfLetters posted:

Please include something in the OP explaining ligatures, I don't understand what they are for and I don't want to accidentally mispronounce any elfs, thanks.

Will there be any way to 're-spec' a character, or easily open up a character file to gently caress with its stats in case I make a poor build decision with this unfamiliar system. I want a wizard who gets magic stuff out quick, because I remember 'Improved Alacrity' was the best thing in BG2, and I will be very disappointed if I figure out five hours later that a Smart Wizard would've worked a lot better overall.

My general advice for a wizard would be to max Int and Might. Dexterity might be good for maxing a speed-dump wizard and probably could work BUT you'd have the problem that you only get so many spells per encounter / per rest and if you dump them all then what are you doing?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My general advice for a wizard would be to max Int and Might. Dexterity might be good for maxing a speed-dump wizard and probably could work BUT you'd have the problem that you only get so many spells per encounter / per rest and if you dump them all then what are you doing?

You could probably build a reasonable high DEX wizard around penetrating blast.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

I really hope there are no huge game breaking bugs so we can end the stupid "Obsidian releases buggy games lol!" jokes.
We've already released two pretty low-bug games (Dungeon Siege III and South Park) but it typically takes a brand/company's reputation about a decade to recover. Right now I'd say PoE has more bugs than DS3 and SP, but far fewer than any of the other titles OEI has worked on. PoE is also a much more complex/variable game than DS3 and SP in a lot of ways, so some of that is to be expected.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CottonWolf posted:

You could probably build a reasonable high DEX wizard around penetrating blast.

Yeah, but the earliest you could get that is, what, fourth level? For the first three levels of the game you'd be a machine gun with a five or six round magazine. I mean, you're right, it could work if you built it right, but I don't think it's optimal (based on the tiny slice of edited content in the backer beta)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'll be interested to see how skill investment plays out. Every class has two inherent bonuses (sometimes three), but I wonder if investing equally in two skills means you'll pass every check you come across or if it means you'll pass all but the most difficult checks, which would require lopsided focus on one skill over the other.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bugs are fine if they're the good kind of bugs

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

That's why this is one of my favorite F:NV videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8SAAKhGVw

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

rope kid posted:

That's why this is one of my favorite F:NV videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8SAAKhGVw

I've always wondered how the hell models do that in games, is there a technical reason for it?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Deakul posted:

I've always wondered how the hell models do that in games, is there a technical reason for it?

Someone forgot to tighten up the graphics on level 3. :smith:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So how playable will this game be if I'm absolutely terrible at managing RTwP systems? I was always super into the plot and character development aspects of the old Infinity Engine games, but I could never get too far in them because I just couldn't handle the combat, it was either too overwhelming and generally impossible in real time or too finnicky with constant pausing, especially when it came to handling multiple characters cast times and movements and positioning and poo poo. Will easy mode be easy enough that a terrible player like me will be able to make it to the end of the game?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If you enable auto-combat slow (on by default on Easy), it shouldn't be too difficult or taxing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Infinity Gaia posted:

So how playable will this game be if I'm absolutely terrible at managing RTwP systems? I was always super into the plot and character development aspects of the old Infinity Engine games, but I could never get too far in them because I just couldn't handle the combat, it was either too overwhelming and generally impossible in real time or too finnicky with constant pausing, especially when it came to handling multiple characters cast times and movements and positioning and poo poo. Will easy mode be easy enough that a terrible player like me will be able to make it to the end of the game?

Probably, there's a bunch of really good passive skills that you can set to auto start when combat begins and if you can solo the game you can probably beat it with any party as long as it has monks in it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fintilgin posted:

Someone forgot to tighten up the graphics on level 3. :smith:

Lazy fuckers.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

rope kid posted:

If you enable auto-combat slow (on by default on Easy), it shouldn't be too difficult or taxing.

Ah, that's good news then, thanks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does this game still have a Big Head mode?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

rope kid posted:

Could there be "auto slow on combat start" option patched in later?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What's a good monk build? I've been meaning to try one out before the game finally comes out since I'm still torn on what to play as first. Not sure how much I should be focusing on in terms of doing damage vs having enough defense to not die before I can actually use some of the abilities.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jackard posted:

Anyone who does a Triple Crown Solo run on youtube and doesn't have Big Head mode on is a bastard.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Very excited that this is coming out next week! I remember watching the stream for the last hours of the kickstarter and seeing the money roll in.

The class I was most excited about during the kickstarter was the Paladin. I love the Warlord in 4E, the idea of a party-buffing class in a CRPG was pretty appealing. For those in the beta, how's that class right now as far as usefulness? I skimmed the last thread and was getting the impression that it was a little underwhelming compared to the other options.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jackard posted:

https://instagram.com/p/0RYTvlpx13/

Disco Infiva posted:

Could there be "auto slow on combat start" option patched in later?

That's what the feature does. The option is checked on by default for Easy, but any difficulty level can use it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Thanks, Josh.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Well, I just got myself 3 extra copies of the game on launchday, time to figure out who to give them to. Might do a giveaway in an appropriate thread, or just hand it out to good buds I have on Steam.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

evilmiera posted:

Well, I just got myself 3 extra copies of the game on launchday, time to figure out who to give them to. Might do a giveaway in an appropriate thread, or just hand it out to good buds I have on Steam.

hey buddy :bigtran:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

It's a small thing but I really dig that this map makes sense geographically.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

evilmiera posted:

Force your friends to right for them in an arena of death?

Just a thought.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

One thing I'm still unclear on is what system(s) the game uses to simulate the relationship between the PC and her companions, if any. Is there a discrete influence system? Do the companions react to dispositions or reputations?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I liked the map better when it had the Lake of Drow Tombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Vitamin P posted:

It's a small thing but I really dig that this map makes sense geographically.
Riverchatters are finally vindicated.

Basic Chunnel posted:

One thing I'm still unclear on is what system(s) the game uses to simulate the relationship between the PC and her companions, if any. Is there a discrete influence system? Do the companions react to dispositions or reputations?
Companions don't really react to you systemically, but through their individual dialogues/quests.

• Locked thread