Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Okay, so I had no idea this was based on a comic book series so I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw this:

quote:

iZOMBIE is a comic book series created by writer Chris Roberson and Michael Allred, published by DC Comics's Vertigo imprint beginning in 2010. The series deals with Gwen Dylan (née Gwendolyn Price), a revenant gravedigger in Eugene, Oregon and her friends Ellie, a 1960s ghost, and Scott, a were-terrier. iZOMBIE was nominated for the 2011 Eisner Award for Best New Series.

That sounds actually hilarious and I'm now slightly disappointed that the show is so different even though it's cool how it is. I'm conflicted but now going to track down a copy of the comic series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

Okay, so I had no idea this was based on a comic book series so I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw this:

That sounds actually hilarious and I'm now slightly disappointed that the show is so different even though it's cool how it is. I'm conflicted but now going to track down a copy of the comic series.

The best thing about it is the artwork by Mike Allred, which you've already seen in the opening sequence of the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the impression that I got from this week's episode is that pre-zombie Liv was kind of a bitch. Like her comment about hobbies or how she dismissive she was of jazz, even though it was apparently something her fiancé was really into. Becoming a zombie has really mellowed her out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what they showed, it seemed more like she just had crazy "Be a doctor" tunnel vision.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Axel Serenity posted:

Depends on the scene and how they're using it. Special Jell-O molds are popular, though when she was cleaning off the paint brush, it was fairly clearly a cake batter substance with food coloring.

That's assuming she eats it, though. Most of the time, they'll have rubber or plastic brain goo if it's just sitting on a plater, like the microwave scene in this ep. It's all about the editing there.

How gross is the brain eating? I have the 2 eps of this on my DVR, and I adored Veronica Mars, but I don't want it to make me feel sick. For a comparison, I think Forever is a little too gruesome with it's dead bodies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She actually mixes pieces into regular food so it's not gross at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
People been eating brains since the learned to crack open the skulls of things. It's actually pretty tastey.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
One of the gags is the different ways she prepares her meals.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

People been eating brains since the learned to crack open the skulls of things. It's actually pretty tastey.

I've eaten brain tacos before, they're kind of bland, and have a weird soft chewy texture to them. I'll stick with pretty much any other cut of meat, although I could see how it could be an acquired taste. It was a cow brain, but I'm guessing they taste somewhat similar to human brains.

It would be a funny twist if it turns out that the zombies could just eat cow brains, and the local Mexican restaurant got a huge upswing in customers from zombies.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

True story: I ate horse brains one time. Tasted good.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly, eating Mexican food is far more sickening than eating brains.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Aphrodite posted:

She actually mixes pieces into regular food so it's not gross at all.

Oh ok, good. Thanks.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Captain Mog posted:

The artwork is fan loving tastic but otherwise it is pretty bland. I remember when I first read it I said to myself that it read like a soulless pitch for a tv show on the cw. I'm not completely sold on the show yet but it is definitely better then the source material.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rocksicles posted:

A Lebanese place near one of my old apartments also confirms this. It had one of the hugest halal menus I've encountered, and brain (of lamb, I believe) was an option. Brain special with tabbouleh and grape leaves. Grilled brain pita, with cabbage, tomato, and tahini...Liv should look into Middle Eastern recipes.

(I never ate the brain options. Because of an irrational fear of prion diseases, and also because why eat brain when there's kafta and sujuk?)

I like this show, but I can't shake viewing it as a colossal HIV metaphor.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Xealot posted:

Glad it's not just me.

I already posted this earlier, but I'm actually really enjoying the metaphor. Now that Looking is off the air, this is as close as the US is going to get to having an HIV+ character on TV for now (I don't think there's anyone else?). A lot of the same things are on Liv's mind, certainly.

Goddammit why am are these CW shows so addictive. Only two episodes and I'm already obsessed the way I was after the first few episodes of Veronica Mars.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Glad it's not just me.

I already posted this earlier, but I'm actually really enjoying the metaphor. Now that Looking is off the air, this is as close as the US is going to get to having an HIV+ character on TV for now (I don't think there's anyone else?). A lot of the same things are on Liv's mind, certainly.

Goddammit why am are these CW shows so addictive. Only two episodes and I'm already obsessed the way I was after the first few episodes of Veronica Mars.

This, to me, is a weird reason to enjoy the show.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Cotato posted:

This, to me, is a weird reason to enjoy the show.

I'm enjoying the show for plenty of reasons, it's just nice to have the metaphor there for those who want to see it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I'm enjoying the show for plenty of reasons, it's just nice to have the metaphor there for those who want to see it.

Totally. It adds resonance to the character.

You can watch it as a genre exercise that's kind of silly, but the core of the story is a very humanistic and compelling one. Liv was this ambitious and motivated person, who now feels she can no longer pursue her dreams because of an incurable diagnosis that alienates her from her former life.

The emotional push behind the character is her process to find meaning in a life she didn't choose, and to do some good despite every fiber of her being telling her to give up. She's "damaged goods" who has to assert new value in spite of it; it works because that's actually the lived experience of real people, living with a diagnosis like HIV+.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rocksicles posted:

Just not healthiest of snacks:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xealot posted:

Hiv Moore?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

muscles like this? posted:

..or how she dismissive she was of jazz...

Nah, jazz is The Worst so she was clearly a good person prior to her 'condition'. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Decius posted:

Just not healthiest of snacks:

People now think dietary cholesterol doesn't really translate into blood cholesterol. You can get your brain on without worry.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Megazver posted:

People now think dietary cholesterol doesn't really translate into blood cholesterol. You can get your brain on without worry.

If the cholesterol don't kill you, that sodium will.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Xealot posted:

Totally. It adds resonance to the character.

You can watch it as a genre exercise that's kind of silly, but the core of the story is a very humanistic and compelling one. Liv was this ambitious and motivated person, who now feels she can no longer pursue her dreams because of an incurable diagnosis that alienates her from her former life.

The emotional push behind the character is her process to find meaning in a life she didn't choose, and to do some good despite every fiber of her being telling her to give up. She's "damaged goods" who has to assert new value in spite of it; it works because that's actually the lived experience of real people, living with a diagnosis like HIV+.

So if the producers are going for the Zombification as HIV metaphor then whats with her trying to get in the pants of her ex? Nasty move there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

M_Gargantua posted:

So if the producers are going for the Zombification as HIV metaphor then whats with her trying to get in the pants of her ex? Nasty move there.

It's not a huge mystery, she left him because it was the responsible thing to do, and between regretting that decision and having residual brain powers from Mr. Amorous she probably wanted to take it back in a moment of poor judgment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Page three is just "Remember that terrible show that's really nothing like this one?"

Two episodes in and I'm really loving this series.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

raditts posted:

If the cholesterol don't kill you, that sodium will.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 31, 2015

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

My only complaint is that this is on Tuesdays. I'm already DVRing Flash and Agents of SHIELD, I don't need a third show on Tuesdays. C'mon network programmers move this to Thursdays. I don't watch poo poo on Thursdays.

Also half the shows I watch are on CW. When did I turn into a teenage girl?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You should watch Elementary on Thursdays, also Person of Interest.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, I don't know how that works. Because I thought it was literally a transmissible disease...if she slept with someone, she could give it to them.

Definitely, it's no coincidence it's connected to drugs, through Blaine. And at least implicitly through sex, since he turned that other older woman into a zombie that way. The literal plot mechanics of zombie-ism aren't clear to me on this show yet.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Heathen posted:

Also half the shows I watch are on CW. When did I turn into a teenage girl?

I just came to this same realization last week, but it's the only network that seems to give a poo poo about actually entertaining the audience. So many shows take themselves so seriously; TV starts to become a chore.

Essentially, I like watching TV to see beautiful people do exciting things, and the CW delivers that in spades.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
What's really great about The CW is that they don't make you wait a week to watch an episode on their app/site for free. The episode goes up sometime the night after the episode aired (midnightish, depending on time zones?), which is great if you're in that situation of having too many shows recording Tuesdays or whenever. They're also fairly reasonable with ads, you'll usually spend less time watching them than commercials, though they tend to have very little diversity.

Edit: Unfortunately they only keep the 5 most recent episodes, so you'll have to find them somewhere else if you need to go farther back.

Edit 2: This isn't the Flash thread! My bad.

Onean fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 31, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Onean posted:

What's really great about The CW is that they don't make you wait a week to watch an episode on their app/site for free. The episode goes up sometime the night after the episode aired (midnightish, depending on time zones?), which is great if you're in that situation of having too many shows recording Tuesdays or whenever. They're also fairly reasonable with ads, you'll usually spend less time watching them than commercials, though they tend to have very little diversity.

Yeah, I live on the West coast, and they tend to have their shows up on Hulu Plus within 1-3 hours of broadcasting. I typically watch night-of, and not even particularly late.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Xealot posted:

Definitely, it's no coincidence it's connected to drugs, through Blaine. And at least implicitly through sex, since he turned that other older woman into a zombie that way. The literal plot mechanics of zombie-ism aren't clear to me on this show yet.

Yeah, I'm wondering how long the brain powers last with Liv; it seems like it's pretty temporary considering she wanted to eat the brains again to keep her artistic/passionate temperament going. It would be cool though if she just developed this huge backlog/amalgamation of random skills and such. And that power, I wonder if it's unique in the first place

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
This brain of the week is like the opposite of last week's, and I love it.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Glad it's not just me.

You should watch more Arrow.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ville Valo posted:

I definitely should.

This week's new mystery: what causes the zombified to turn shambler instead of staying sentient? Is it just going too long sans brains?

Also, apparently, with each new episode comes a new comic book-like cover as a nice little ad. Cute.

Pilot:

Brother, Can You Spare A Brain?:

Self explanatory:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 1, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Ok, I enjoyed this week's episode. Still not riveting, but entertaining.

Whelp, see yah

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ville Valo posted:

This is still one of my favorite things that ever happened on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Ok, I enjoyed this week's episode. Still not riveting, but entertaining.

Whelp, see yah

I think this sums up the show.

Like, compared to the other CW comic shows, the long-term storyline still has to come through. It doesn't change the game every single episode like Flash and Arrow.

But, it's a lot of goddamn fun. For a MotW show, it's got some great one-liners and the actors are top-notch. I hope they can find a footing on an overarching plot because I really, really enjoy the style here.

• Locked thread