Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Ernie. posted:

That was such a cool moment, he's seriously a great actor.

Kumail Nanjiani is no stranger to knowing how to be cool. I liked that his cousin's name was Waleed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

IRQ posted:

It seems pretty clear they're going to end up funding Pied Piper with kickstarter.

Rewards Tier 1 ($500,000) Erlich jerks off every guy in this room.

I just hope they don't pull a ~twist~ when they find out that Bro2Bro has the world's most efficient data transfer algorithm or something.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just hope they don't pull a ~twist~ when they find out that Bro2Bro has the world's most efficient data transfer algorithm or something.

This is pretty much how I can see it playing out. A distributed network of bros all sending single bro bits to each other, etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, didn't Richard lie to his lawyer when he said he never worked on Pied Piper on Hooli's time?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Loved the episode. That final scene had me cracking up. I like the potential direction that this season has. The fact that I feel so bad for the guys and their product when in reality, they aren't exactly likeable, the setting is fantastical, it's a comedy and it's a pretty shallow premise is testament to how well crafted it is.

I'd love to have some more female characters introduced into the show though. The boss is a start (although who knows whether we will see that character again now anyway) but I'd love to have (another) female join the Pied Piper guys officially.

King Vidiot posted:

You do realise that show creators will often write more than just a single season's worth of scripts at a time, right? I didn't know when Welch died but I'd bet that Mike Judge had already planned on what direction he was going to take the plot in and/or had rough drafts written even before the first season had wrapped.

You seriously think a guy who hasn't had a successful new project in 20 years will have written scripts for a second season for a brand new non-animated show six months before the first episode airs? To the point that he would have been unwilling to re-write a character because it wouldn't fit his creative vision?

It's clear he was forced to do massive re-writes and edits during the first season when Welch passed away, and that Welch's replacement character was intentionally crafted to play off the similarities of her predecessor and subvert the expectations we have of her as a result.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Grump posted:

Man that brain raping thing was sooooo scummy. What a time to be alive. Really.

Also, wtf. That entire Kickstarter plot point seemed so out of place and unnatural. At least the first scene when Kumail first brought up donating 5000.

e; what happened to Yelp? I tried googling things like a copyright infringement case, but found nothing. Was Yelp an idea ripped from someone else?

Apparently Google was in talks with Yelp for an acquisition, then made Google Places (which took Yelp results without telling Yelp) and bought Zagat.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

Loved the episode. That final scene had me cracking up. I like the potential direction that this season has. The fact that I feel so bad for the guys and their product when in reality, they aren't exactly likeable, the setting is fantastical, it's a comedy and it's a pretty shallow premise is testament to how well crafted it is.

I'd love to have some more female characters introduced into the show though. The boss is a start (although who knows whether we will see that character again now anyway) but I'd love to have (another) female join the Pied Piper guys officially.

You seriously think a guy who hasn't had a successful new project in 20 years will have written scripts for a second season for a brand new non-animated show six months before the first episode airs? To the point that he would have been unwilling to re-write a character because it wouldn't fit his creative vision?

It's clear he was forced to do massive re-writes and edits during the first season when Welch passed away, and that Welch's replacement character was intentionally crafted to play off the similarities of her predecessor and subvert the expectations we have of her as a result.

Bro.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xcore posted:

But then it wouldn't be accurate :haw:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Dave posted:

But then it wouldn't be accurate :haw:

A lot of the season 1 reviewer whining was on the lack of central female characters.

Even though the real SV has 80-90% guys for technical or leadership positions.

For VC it's something like 3% women.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not trying to fly the gender equality flag for the sake of it, i just think it would be interesting. I enjoyed the storyline at the convention last year with the female app creator brain raping Jared and Dinesh and would like too see that sort of dynamic on a more permanent basis.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

I can tell that was angry from the context.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This show's done a shockingly good job at representing mainstream programmer startup culture - the weird bits like people being very aware of PUA, the common hallucinogen usage, the open secret of VC collusion, the youth obsession, the adderall, all of it. They really did their research. The one thing they've gotten wrong is having two aspie VCs, but all the other VCs were so spot on (smooth, nasty, ugly yet presentable guys).

The actual reality for a startup founder is that they spend the majority of their time hiring new employees, and there's a lot of material there, so I'm hoping they actually let Pied Piper meet enough success to reach that point.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, didn't Richard lie to his lawyer when he said he never worked on Pied Piper on Hooli's time?

I don't think so. I think he worked on it off-work, then brought it in for the douchey programmers to check out, thinking they would give him real advice or help. I'm pretty sure he even e-mailed them a link from his phone before they let on that they were just jerking him around, so it wasn't even stored on Hooli hardware.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
Not to mention that Erlich claimed 10% of the value through Richard's involvement with his incubator house.

If anything, the only real connection could be poaching Donald Dunn.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

I had to Google who that was. His name really is forgettable.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I didn't notice the first time but Gavin brought his own fruit plate to the Mexican restaurant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

I didn't notice the first time but Gavin brought his own fruit plate to the Mexican restaurant.

And presumably his own metal fork.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Grump posted:

I had to Google who that was. His name really is forgettable.

Every time I hear his full name I think of Donald "Duck" Dunn, the great bassist who played himself in The Blues Brothers.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Ehrlich is one meta dude. He actually was brain raped by himself.
He has a funny story about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf9N5AWprG8

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Every time I hear his full name I think of Donald "Duck" Dunn, the great bassist who played himself in The Blues Brothers.

I very nearly posted this myself

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just came across this random startup generator on Slashdot:
http://tiffzhang.com/startup/
you can tell the pages are fake because of all the women in C-level positions

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

the setting is fantastical

what.

I mean maybe I'm "that guy", but a general complaint I hear is that the show is "toned down for mass-consumption". Maybe SV is just a broken place :smith:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

A lot of the season 1 reviewer whining was on the lack of central female characters.
That's much like complaining Girls or, say, a documentary about the Wannsee conference doesn't feature enough likable characters and diversity.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

Everything is political in entertainment. Karl Rove would be proud.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Y-Hat posted:

Everything is political in entertainment. Karl Rove would be proud.

I've got news for you: Everything was political in entertainment long before Karl Rove was involved.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AirCav58 posted:

Ehrlich is one meta dude. He actually was brain raped by himself.
He has a funny story about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf9N5AWprG8

This was really funny. That guy is awesome.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Richard, is your angel investor in that horse?

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Did anyone catch what the ending song was for the third episode?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Erlich constantly getting shut down by Hanneman was pretty great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I kind of understood where Hanneman was coming from with his advice on how to get the most out of Pied Piper.

This scares the poo poo out of me.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I was cracking up for the entirety of Big Head's triumphant return.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Erlich constantly getting shut down by Hanneman was pretty great.

For real. This show hasn't missed a beat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What was the credits song this time?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
THIS GUY FUCKS

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I've got 3 nannies suing me right now, one of them for no reason.

I love this guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

oh jay posted:

I was cracking up for the entirety of Big Head's triumphant return.

"Vice President in Charge of Nucleic Symmetry"

"You see, your Honor...it even has most of the letters that are in Nucleus *in* the job title!"

They're really underestimating Big Head's ability to lie, though...even when given heaps of money.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My favorite part was when the McLaren douchbag guy said "do the math" so Richard did the math and determined that the guy's investments hadn't even kept up with inflation over the last 20 years.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

My favorite part was when the McLaren douchbag guy said "do the math" so Richard did the math and determined that the guy's investments hadn't even kept up with inflation over the last 20 years.

That was the best thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the google suggestions were pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synftw
Jun 14, 2007
Chaos-Gnostic Satanist
I'm not looking forward to the inevitable sappy exchange between Richard and Big Head. I'm hoping Erlich drags Richard along to Burning Man and causes an epiphany of some sort.

• Locked thread