Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
not 30 years ago expressing one's homosexuality was likely to get one fired, kicked out of their home, and had a high chance of getting the expresser attacked. Today things are better, but you still get gay bashing in a lot of places in North America.

But yes, it's today's more vocal calling out of bigots and symbols of treason and slavery glorification that are the real oppression.

Get hosed, you disingenuous poo poo head. The idea that society is somehow going to far with calling out racism and bigotry is bullshit.

we don't lynch people for being racist. Racists did lynch people for being black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praxieris
Dec 1, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Taco Defender

blarzgh posted:

John Hancock, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin all owned slaves - should we tear down their monuments, too?

Che Guevara wrote disparagingly about the inferiority of the black race when he was young - should we burn his shirts?

Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are pedophiles - should Amazon take down their films?

One of these is not like the others (except in the case of privately-owned monuments).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Savant Lard posted:

One of these is not like the others (except in the case of privately-owned monuments).
Although if Allen and Polanski had released films of them raping children I'd be okay with burning them after they'd been used as evidence in a court of law.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

tsa posted:

Uh maybe in the 80's but we have the internet these days. Why would any person be less certain of their views? You can find an echo-chamber for basically any position imaginable. Also you act like code-words don't exist, people in the north hardly need the confederate flag to be racist.

We aren't on the internet all day, are we? (are we? :suicide:)

You don't think forcing the right to shift to code words was a step forward? It can strengthen the hard-core, but it isn't going to bring in anyone uninitiated. A kid can figure out that it's okay to say the n-word because dad says it, but they aren't going to understand coded language about economics. If there are no confederate flags on the trucks in the parking lot, someone might be less confident that they can even use coded language at work.

I wasn't talking about racists not being able to find each other when they go looking. There's no stopping that. I was talking about not seeing confirmation that it's okay to espouse racism in everyday life. Every symbol of belonging to the segments of society that are okay with that which gets marginalized or eliminated weakens those segments ability to spread their memes.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Maybe we should make a statue of Nat Turner and have him carry a confederate flag?

Compromise solution!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack2142 posted:

Maybe we should make a statue of Nat Turner and have him carry a confederate flag?

Compromise solution!

Counterproposal: Nat Turner and Stonewall Jackson sharing a manly, half-naked embrace. Turner is on top.

Alternative: Giant Mural: Botticelli's Mars and Venus. Two versions, adjacent. In one, Denmark Vesey is Venus, and Robert E. Lee is Mars. In the other, Frederick Douglass is Mars, and Jefferson Davis is Venus.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 26, 2015

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Counterproposal: Nat Turner and Stonewall Jackson sharing a manly, half-naked embrace. Turner is on top.

Alternative: Giant Mural: Botticelli's Mars and Venus. Two versions, adjacent. In one, Denmark Vesey is Venus, and Robert E. Lee is Mars. In the other, Frederick Douglass is Mars, and Jefferson Davis is Venus.
You should recruit someone to sketch that

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Serious question, not trying to make a loaded argument, I don't know very much about this stuff. This thread except for maybe that one guy seems to think the confederacy was 100% bad and about slaves, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is deceived or lying. Does this apply to everyone who willingly fought for the confederacy? There's a whole lot of asking stuff like "well what ELSE was the confederacy about?" which all feel like a loaded argument where any suggestion that any part of it was anything else is going to get buried in "evidence", like the words of a confederate vice president or whatever it was that's already been used.

I don't have any evidence, but it seems unlikely to me that the "men on the ground" were all fighting for the cause of the vice president - seems more likely a decent portion of them would be fighting out of brand loyalty, or to protect their friends who are fighting, or for a paycheck, or because they were conscripted and would be vilified and arrested if they stopped, or because troops from the other side were in their home town and acting like jerks, or any of a host of other reasons along those lines.

So is the question "what ELSE was the confederacy about?" meant to just refer to the views of the leadership, or do people genuinely think that everyone who fought on that side was all about the racism?

It seems feasible to me that someone, somewhere, might have a confederate flag because one of their ancestors was a totally honorable dude who fought impressively on that side to defend his home town and had no real opinions about race. That hypothetical person would be pretty justifiably sad to have their flag declared unquestionably racist.

(This is not an argument for the flag being okay, I totally get that audience interpretation is important and as such flying the flag in any kind of public space is unquestionably insensitive at best - I just find the "no shades of grey" view expressed here a bit disturbing.)

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Just asking questions here, people!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

roomforthetuna posted:

Serious question, not trying to make a loaded argument, I don't know very much about this stuff. This thread except for maybe that one guy seems to think the confederacy was 100% bad and about slaves, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is deceived or lying. Does this apply to everyone who willingly fought for the confederacy? There's a whole lot of asking stuff like "well what ELSE was the confederacy about?" which all feel like a loaded argument where any suggestion that any part of it was anything else is going to get buried in "evidence", like the words of a confederate vice president or whatever it was that's already been used.

I don't have any evidence, but it seems unlikely to me that the "men on the ground" were all fighting for the cause of the vice president - seems more likely a decent portion of them would be fighting out of brand loyalty, or to protect their friends who are fighting, or for a paycheck, or because they were conscripted and would be vilified and arrested if they stopped, or because troops from the other side were in their home town and acting like jerks, or any of a host of other reasons along those lines.

So is the question "what ELSE was the confederacy about?" meant to just refer to the views of the leadership, or do people genuinely think that everyone who fought on that side was all about the racism?

It seems feasible to me that someone, somewhere, might have a confederate flag because one of their ancestors was a totally honorable dude who fought impressively on that side to defend his home town and had no real opinions about race. That hypothetical person would be pretty justifiably sad to have their flag declared unquestionably racist.

(This is not an argument for the flag being okay, I totally get that audience interpretation is important and as such flying the flag in any kind of public space is unquestionably insensitive at best - I just find the "no shades of grey" view expressed here a bit disturbing.)

Possibly, I know there's lots of people whose grandfathers were conscripted into the wehrmacht during the second world war who feel the best way to honour them is to hang big swastikas out of their bedroom window.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

roomforthetuna posted:

Did this hypothetical non-racist ancestor want his home town to be part of the USA or the CSA? Did you know that every slave State except South Carolina had regiments serving in the Union army? How many Americans did this guy kill on the way to becoming a confederate war hero?

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly, I know there's lots of people whose grandfathers were conscripted into the wehrmacht during the second world war who feel the best way to honour them is to hang big swastikas out of their bedroom window.

roomforthetuna posted:

I don't have any evidence, but

There's your problem.

Serious question, not trying to make a loaded argument, I don't know very much about this stuff. Would a black family looking to move to a new town feel safer or less safe if there were symbols celebrating their subjugation everywhere they looked, including Government buildings?

Strawman fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 26, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

blarzgh posted:

Che Guevara wrote disparagingly about the inferiority of the black race when he was young - should we burn his shirts?
Maybe you shouldn't base your historical facts on cracked.com.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Counter-counterproposal: Replace all statues of Confederate warcriminals with statues of Sherman standing on said warcriminals.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

roomforthetuna posted:

People are asking what else the Confederacy was about because nobody will even try to give an answer but keeps talking like there is an answer. That's literally it. If only one side presents evidence for their point of view, why should we give the other any credence at all? When in life is that kind of behavior anything but being a douchebag?

This is also kind of superbly silly because of course we don't know what was in the unspoken feelings of people we've never met who are long dead, and it's not especially relevant. The meaning of the Confederate flag isn't a mystery because it was a symbol raised by a Confederate government that came right out and told everyone that would listen what it was doing. People keep bringing up the :hitler: parallels because they're actually super relevant for once - new government raises a banner, says and does horrible poo poo, and that becomes a symbol for evil even though not literally every German alive was evil.

And anyway, what kind of standard for something being bad is that? If not literally EVERYONE involved in something awful is cartoonishly evil it becomes OK? We're talking about something straight-up advertised as, "YOU WANT TO TAKE OUR SLAVES AWAY SO gently caress YOU DAD!" You think everyone in the South was too dumb to know what that meant?

e: As a side note, both sides used conscription, but it didn't work well and only provided a small fraction of the total troops involved, so saying "They were drafted and had no choice!" was generally untrue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sean10mm posted:

If not literally EVERYONE involved in something awful is cartoonishly evil it becomes OK?
No, the forums are still bad :downsrim:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Strawman posted:

Did this hypothetical non-racist ancestor want his home town to be part of the USA or the CSA? Did you know that every slave State except South Carolina had regiments serving in the Union army? How many Americans did this guy kill on the way to becoming a confederate war hero?

... and that man was Nathan Bedford Forrest.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

sean10mm posted:

People are asking what else the Confederacy was about because nobody will even try to give an answer but keeps talking like there is an answer. That's literally it. If only one side presents evidence for their point of view, why should we give the other any credence at all? When in life is that kind of behavior anything but being a douchebag?

This is also kind of superbly silly because of course we don't know what was in the unspoken feelings of people we've never met who are long dead, and it's not especially relevant. The meaning of the Confederate flag isn't a mystery because it was a symbol raised by a Confederate government that came right out and told everyone that would listen what it was doing. People keep bringing up the :hitler: parallels because they're actually super relevant for once - new government raises a banner, says and does horrible poo poo, and that becomes a symbol for evil even though not literally every German alive was evil.

And anyway, what kind of standard for something being bad is that? If not literally EVERYONE involved in something awful is cartoonishly evil it becomes OK? We're talking about something straight-up advertised as, "YOU WANT TO TAKE OUR SLAVES AWAY SO gently caress YOU DAD!" You think everyone in the South was too dumb to know what that meant?

e: As a side note, both sides used conscription, but it didn't work well and only provided a small fraction of the total troops involved, so saying "They were drafted and had no choice!" was generally untrue.
Thanks for being the one guy who didn't just act like I'm saying something horrific and evil that I wasn't saying at all, and giving at least a bit of a serious answer.

But people do try to give an answer to what else the Confederacy was about - they say "states rights". I realize that's already "proven false", but that proof seems to consist broadly of "here are some quotes clearly showing that the leadership had one primary reason for wanting states rights, and it was about slavery and race"; is there also evidence that that's what they sold to their supporters? By way of analogy, the recent government has sold "the PATRIOT act" to the population as a whole, as a big anti-terrorist thing, because who wouldn't be anti-terrorism, but a future person reflecting on history could easily frame that as "the United States in the early 2000s was in support of government monitoring of its people, allowing torture, and imprisonment without trial, what a bunch of jerks."

Is it the case that the confederate army as a whole was broadly sold "fight to keep slavery!" or were they sold, say, "don't let us get pushed around by them yankees!"?

Again, to be clear, I fully acknowledge that the underlying cause of the war was bullshit, that the flag was created for bullshit reasons, that most people who own such a flag now do so for bullshit reasons, and I'm not asking about the flag here, or trying to suggest that any of those points are wrong. And for Godwin's sake, yes, I do have similar feelings about WW2 German soldiers, I wonder how many of them were sold on "Aryan master race and jews are bad" and how many were sold on much more benign propaganda that a typical American today would also be persuaded by. One might argue that the cause the soldiers fight for doesn't excuse the atrocities committed, and I would agree, but I think we should vilify all soldiers on every side of every war if the atrocities committed by that side are the metric by which all shall by judged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need to vilify soldiers to suggest that flying the flag of the thoroughly reprehensible government which they fought for is a stupid idea.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

roomforthetuna posted:

Thanks for being the one guy who didn't just act like I'm saying something horrific and evil that I wasn't saying at all, and giving at least a bit of a serious answer.

But people do try to give an answer to what else the Confederacy was about - they say "states rights". I realize that's already "proven false", but that proof seems to consist broadly of "here are some quotes clearly showing that the leadership had one primary reason for wanting states rights, and it was about slavery and race"; is there also evidence that that's what they sold to their supporters? By way of analogy, the recent government has sold "the PATRIOT act" to the population as a whole, as a big anti-terrorist thing, because who wouldn't be anti-terrorism, but a future person reflecting on history could easily frame that as "the United States in the early 2000s was in support of government monitoring of its people, allowing torture, and imprisonment without trial, what a bunch of jerks."

Is it the case that the confederate army as a whole was broadly sold "fight to keep slavery!" or were they sold, say, "don't let us get pushed around by them yankees!"?

Again, to be clear, I fully acknowledge that the underlying cause of the war was bullshit, that the flag was created for bullshit reasons, that most people who own such a flag now do so for bullshit reasons, and I'm not asking about the flag here, or trying to suggest that any of those points are wrong. And for Godwin's sake, yes, I do have similar feelings about WW2 German soldiers, I wonder how many of them were sold on "Aryan master race and jews are bad" and how many were sold on much more benign propaganda that a typical American today would also be persuaded by. One might argue that the cause the soldiers fight for doesn't excuse the atrocities committed, and I would agree, but I think we should vilify all soldiers on every side of every war if the atrocities committed by that side are the metric by which all shall by judged.

Actually man, the "States Rights" argument is proven false by the Confederate Constitution, which forbids the abolition of slavery in any state, ever. Including future territories.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Man what lengths will we go to to fight "racism"? When "racism" is eradicated, what then? Will we turn our opprobrium towards "homophobia"? What about "inequality"? Where does it end? When can I sit back and not be afraid that a SJW is going to criticize me?

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need to vilify soldiers to suggest that flying the flag of the thoroughly reprehensible government which they fought for is a stupid idea.
No, man, everyone has their own special relationship with the Confederate flag, just like they do with Jesus.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

roomforthetuna posted:

"the United States in the early 2000s was in support of government monitoring of its people, allowing torture, and imprisonment without trial, what a bunch of jerks."

This was as true then as it is today as long as you add the assumption that these powers are going to be used against Muslims.

roomforthetuna posted:

Those were the same thing, what other elements of "Southern Culture" were under threat?

roomforthetuna posted:

Again, to be clear, I fully acknowledge that the underlying cause of the war was bullshit, that the flag was created for bullshit reasons, that most people who own such a flag now do so for bullshit reasons, and I'm not asking about the flag here

Then why are you posting itt?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

To think that 15 yrs ago this place (and probably the whole internet) was overrun with script kiddie libertarians who really believed confederate flags were just about state's rights and and protesting the "tyranny of Lincoln" (they really hated Abe)... I'm Guessing most of them never met a black person and we're just ratiinalizing stuff they heard from their racist granddad.

All in all I'd say the Internet has changed for the better.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

roomforthetuna posted:

The whole States Rights poo poo was promoted after the fact and was helped along by the Confederate Daughters of America. But in terms of slavery before the war, it was promoted through religiously, politically, and socially to the point where many people weren't just ignorant about the true purpose of the Confederacy.

I mean just take a look at what happened when the North pulled troops out of the South after Reconstruction. It's not like those same people just went away. No, they were the ones who promoted the black codes and joined the KKK.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

roomforthetuna posted:

we don't have to get into the personal motivations of soldiers because if we do, 99% of everyone's great great grandpappies were totes not-racist who were just fighting out of a hometown pride, honest

if the only way for you to honor your family is to drape them in the flag of an explicitly racist slave rebellion, then, uh, you probably shouldn't honor your family lest everyone else assume you believe that black people are fundamentally inferior to white people

like i don't honor my train-robbing grandpa by screaming gently caress the police at police. that doesn't fly

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

yronic heroism posted:

To think that 15 yrs ago this place (and probably the whole internet) was overrun with script kiddie libertarians who really believed confederate flags were just about state's rights and and protesting the "tyranny of Lincoln" (they really hated Abe)... I'm Guessing most of them never met a black person and we're just ratiinalizing stuff they heard from their racist granddad.

All in all I'd say the Internet has changed for the better.
Honestly, I remember growing up thinking that the Civil War was about slavery and feeling like my mind was blown when I met people who told me it was about a legitimate issue like states rights versus an oppressive federal government, Lincoln not caring about slaves, etc. Talk about states rights and Lincoln's reluctance to address slavery are easy to find at passing glance, so it seemed right. This lasted a few years until I started seeing internet sources showing the CSA's Constitution explicitly forbid outlawing slavery or the secession letters citing fears that the North would destroy the institution of slavery, etc. Having people share those specific references really shattered that illusion and made me feel deceived. Whenever I see someone trying to fly the "heritage, not hate, know your history" argument I'm sure to hammer on that so that others don't believe the same lies.

Knight fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I think that individuals who still fly the flag in the South are composed of 50% genuine racists with the remaining 50% consisting of people who drank the "heritage not hate" koolaid, people who want to give a big FU to people against the flag and the South in general, various trolls, and one confused Ukranian.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
You know, the Nazis had a really good anti-smoking program. Is it really fair to judge them on that other stuff they did?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spun Dog posted:

You know, the Nazis had a really good anti-smoking program. Is it really fair to judge them on that other stuff they did?
They were really good about animal rights too, bringing in animal cruelty laws and banning vivisection.

I hear Mengele found alternative ways there though. :gonk:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

:911:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this thread, as all SA ACW discussions night unto the beginning, really really underestimates how ignorant many southerners are about the issue, and racism in general. (Racist northerners are too, usually, but in diferent ways.)

A whole lot of people associate that flag with the south and barely make the civil war-slavery connection. They associate it with Lynyrd Skynyrd and Dukes of Hazzard and poo poo.

Southerners aren't suffering from mass stupidity but they are generally uneducated and underprivileged. I don't know what the best way is to correct the issue but treating pro-confederate flag people as universally racist usually just doubles them down on loving the flag, because they genuinely don't know just how offensive it can be and, indeed, see it as a symbol of rebellion, independence, and pride. They expect dang yankees and arrogant hollywood types to be against it. They genuinely believe racism is wrong, believe they're "colourblind", and 100% drink the codeword kool-aid and so they're inured against people saying "hey that's racist."

Yet often they are racist. It's that insidious, ingrown, backwoods sort of unconscious bias that's so hard to really stamp out because being too aggressive just drives the targets further into the racist codeword rabbit hole. It's a poo poo situation and probably we have no hope but for the hate to slowly die out.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

:laffo:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

So what about this new thing where Apple kicked civil war themed games off the app store because they feature the confederate flag?

My vote's for re-releasing all games and movies that feature the confederate flag in any way, but with a lobster flag superimposed over the original flag to avoid offense, so that in fifty years time when the majority has come to believe that the lobster flag is the flag of the Confederacy, the lobster flag can get banned too for being offensive, and get replaced with a smiling poop flag, etc.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
They pulled stuff with the battle flag and are going back and re-instating the apps that don't use it in an offensive manner. Apple seems to always do this heavy handed removal and reinstatement process when something comes up.

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010

roomforthetuna posted:

Yes, the ordinary soldiers understood slavery and white supremacy to be a crucial part of the Confederate war effort. Confederate officials and leaders explicitly sold the war using white supremacist language, antebellum Southern society was held together through white supremacy, and these sentiments were absolutely reflected among the ordinary soldiers. James McPherson's For Cause and Comrades, for example, finds plenty of examples of Confederate soldiers melding generic patriotism and "Southern cause" rhetoric with white supremacist rhetoric in diary entries and letters home. Plenty of scholars of slavery and the antebellum South have found tons of evidence of yeoman farmers eagerly taking part in slavery and lower class whites aspiring to one day own slaves and become part of the ruling slavocracy. This idea that Confederate soldiers are insulated from the larger war aims of the Confederate government is absolutely a Lost Cause myth.

I know others have already asked this, but what Southern ideals were there without slavery? What was the sectional tension and divide being fought over without slavery?

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

So what about this new thing where Apple kicked civil war themed games off the app store because they feature the confederate flag?

My vote's for re-releasing all games and movies that feature the confederate flag in any way, but with a lobster flag superimposed over the original flag to avoid offense, so that in fifty years time when the majority has come to believe that the lobster flag is the flag of the Confederacy, the lobster flag can get banned too for being offensive, and get replaced with a smiling poop flag, etc.
My vote is for you are so dumb.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

New idea have a video montage of people taking down the confederate flag and burning it to the song landslide while racists cry in the background.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What about the thousands of white Southerners too poor to buy their way out of the first American draft, so presumably they were too poor to own slaves too and probably couldn't even find work because of the feudal slave economy, who were thusly maimed and killed by fellow Americans who actually invaded the South?

Many Civil War fighters were draftees or simply volunteered based on a sense of duty to their State, a foreign concept to modern Americans but a very real one since the colonies.

Both sides suffered horrendous casualties, led by retarded generals, over a war started by selfish, heartless Southern aristocrats.

Germany doesn't celebrate Nazis, but they acknowledge millions of young kids were sent to die for horrible reasons that destroyed and divided their entire nation for generations. I think we should talk about and remember the history that the North and South shared and suffered through together, instead of solely feeling shame for a past we inherited as no fault of our own.

Replace the CSA flag somewhere with a plaque of the Gettysburg Address please, a much more appropriate piece of history that speaks to both sides, and to all colors.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 27, 2015

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Removal or banning of any flag is retarded. Any given flag is symbolic of many things to many different people, including heinous acts as well as culture. You might as well ban the US flag, or British flag etc. on the same grounds if you think this is a good idea. But after all censorship is one of the cornerstones of modern leftism's fascistic method so you probably do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Removal or banning of any flag is retarded. Any given flag is symbolic of many things to many different people, including heinous acts as well as culture. You might as well ban the US flag, or British flag etc. on the same grounds if you think this is a good idea. But after all censorship is one of the cornerstones of modern leftism's fascistic method so you probably do.

I haven't seen any calls for the banning of the flag. It stands to reason that the United States government itself would disallow the use of a traitorous flag in official capacities like on license plates etc. That isn't fascism.

• Locked thread