Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

some texas redneck posted:

You did have comprehensive on everything, right?

... right? :ohdear:
Just the e24 and xb. I think I'm going to attempt the dry ice dent popping on the m3 and if it is successful, I'll do it to the 242.

fjelltorsk posted:

So, i havent posted i a few days. [...]
Holy poo poo man!
Glad you came out ok, kids are made of rubber, they'll heal in no time!
How does it work in Norway when something like this happens? Do you get hounded by ambulance chasing scum lawyers about you suing the other guy? Are you going to get anything for the Tesla from insurance?

It's amazing to hear how well it held up!

Nitrospazzz, friends that have lives here for 3 decades don't remember hail like this. I doubt we'll have any of those traveling PDR guys here. How do I find good PDR people? Searching for it gets me a bunch of shops that don't actually do PDR.

Claims adjuster comes out tomorrow, and the xb is getting a windshield tomorrow as well.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

Send the robot to robot jail.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

I feel somewhat bad for this woman.... Such an unlucky name and robot thing... Its just awful.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I need a new fridge. Our 20 year old Amana is just falling apart. Home Depot has a Samsung on sale, but our drat cabinets are 68" and every fridge I can find is 70". Suggestions? I've resigned to the fact I will be shortening the cabinet above the fridge.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Be honest with yourself. Do you actually store anything above your fridge that can't be dumped into another unreachable cupboard in your place? Don't shorten, demolish.

We have a Samsung. It is cold inside. It dings when you leave the door open. My 2 year old can get the ice cream out or the freezer.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

the spyder posted:

I need a new fridge. Our 20 year old Amana is just falling apart. Home Depot has a Samsung on sale, but our drat cabinets are 68" and every fridge I can find is 70". Suggestions? I've resigned to the fact I will be shortening the cabinet above the fridge.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-refrigerator/

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I made a new friend a work today. He kept dragging my hand back to his head whenever I'd start to pull away to leave and added at least 5 minutes to my delivery time today (the boss considers stopping to play with cattes and dogges a valid reason for delays :kimchi:). The shop he hangs around at also has a reptile shop next to it owned by the same guys.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kept finding myself looking at Ebay and craigslist today, searching for anything with t-tops. What is going through my head?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Poor Tesla, it died too young, but did its job.

Out of curiosity, I'd really like to see the pics of the carnage. Did the car just shut down as it should? Any apparent damage to the battery pack?

I was actually just thinking where you'd gone off to. I'm going to Oslo this coming weekend, and I was thinking about asking you for a few tips. You got PMs?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

drat dude sorry that happened but I'm glad it didn't go any worse.

I would definitely go with another Tesla, it's proven itself at this point.

I hope you and your kids have a speedy recovery

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fakeaccount posted:

I kept finding myself looking at Ebay and craigslist today, searching for anything with t-tops. What is going through my head?

The growth of a mullet

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

the spyder posted:

We ran into the exact same issue (along with depth issues) when our old fridge crapped out (compressor was having issues starting, and would often take so long to start that the fridge would get up to 60+).

Turns out they were including the handles in the measurements (which can easily add an inch to the top). Take a tape measure with you just to be safe, but you'll probably find that a "70 inch" fridge will fit into your 68" cutout just fine. Just measure from floor to the top of the body, and make sure the levelers are screwed all the way in (leaving it sitting on its wheels). And obviously measure your cutout from the floor to the bottom of the cabinet. Subtract 1/8" or so to leave enough room to maneuver it easily.

I'd personally avoid Samsung and LG. They look nice, but they're known for failing just outside of warranty, and for generally being expensive to repair. Most brands you'll find in the US that you typically associate with US companies have been purchased by Electrolux or Whirlpool at this point (with Whirlpool owning most of them - including Amana; GE's appliance division was very recently sold to Electrolux). If you go to Ikea, their appliances are also Whirlpool. Same if you go with Home Depot's store brand (Admiral, though obviously Admiral wasn't always exclusive to HD - Admiral is also owned by Whirlpool at this point). Whirlpool and GE are the two main companies behind Kenmore (which to the best of my knowledge, has never manufactured anything on their own, they just re-badge major appliances as Kenmore).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
LG makes Kenmore Elite fridges actually. Maybe all of them.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Well it looks like RSPEC is an available license plate here so I guess I am gonna be that guy... Gives me an excuse to de-badge the car though.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

bolind posted:

Poor Tesla, it died too young, but did its job.

Out of curiosity, I'd really like to see the pics of the carnage. Did the car just shut down as it should? Any apparent damage to the battery pack?

I was actually just thinking where you'd gone off to. I'm going to Oslo this coming weekend, and I was thinking about asking you for a few tips. You got PMs?

The car apparently shut down properly, honestly i couldent say. i had my face full of airbag and the stuff the other car had on his dash. i used about 60 sec to get concious after, then i had all my focus on getting the kids out (still in their rear facing seats ofc). i dont have pms but you can reach me at [spoiler]b
[spoiler] im not from eastern norway tho, so i have very few pro tips for oslo except avoid at all cost

Overlap questions: it was an offset overlap accident caused by me going to the left and into the barrier and the audi dude going to his left and thus making sure he got spun out by the truck he passed just after. i would estimate it was a 50/50 offset, causing his passenger corner to hit just right to the passenger side of my centerline.

no pics of the car just yet, will try to grab some at the lot or check with the boys at the firehouse if the got any. The Tesla looked bad, the entire frunk area got twisted and compacted. the driver side wheel ended up below the car.

but the audi allroad man, i am surprised they survived. massiv front damage and allmost as bad in the rear due to 50 tons of man truck hitting them behind the rear wheels.

fjelltorsk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 2, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Mechanically speaking, how good are new fords and how likely is it that the new focus will be reliable? Don't care about lovely satnav/radio because idgaf, I'll just rip it out if I got one and it annoyed me, and apparently thats what causes their reliability to be rated low.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I feel somewhat bad for this woman.... Such an unlucky name and robot thing... Its just awful.

The worst part is apparently shes never seen the movies, kids these days.

drat, fjelltorsk, you have some bad luck but glad it turned out ok.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mafoose posted:

Nitrospazzz, friends that have lives here for 3 decades don't remember hail like this. I doubt we'll have any of those traveling PDR guys here. How do I find good PDR people? Searching for it gets me a bunch of shops that don't actually do PDR.

Claims adjuster comes out tomorrow, and the xb is getting a windshield tomorrow as well.

Get in touch with your shop or dealership of choice and see who they recommend. Most dealerships and even small shops will have a PDR guy they use on a regular basis. I'm taking in the E30 next week to get a stupid dent looked at because it's bugging the hell out of me, sent some pictures to the guy and he said no problem. I planned on getting quotes from a couple shops but from what I've heard there's only two good PDR guys locally that all the shops use.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Fjelltorsk - Sounds like your Tesla gave its life to keep you and the kids going. Hope the kids are coping OK.

Since there always seems to be loads of (pedal) bike chat in this thread - I'm a very occasional cyclist and went out on a 25 mile bike ride yesterday on my lovely old mountain bike. Now I'm walking like a cowboy. How do you regular cyclists cope with this?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Sore muscles or raw taint? The cure is practice and a good pair of padded bike shorts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tomarse posted:

Since there always seems to be loads of (pedal) bike chat in this thread - I'm a very occasional cyclist and went out on a 25 mile bike ride yesterday on my lovely old mountain bike. Now I'm walking like a cowboy. How do you regular cyclists cope with this?

25 miles is a long way on an old mountain bike, so don't feel bad about it. The first thing you need with a bike is to have it fit properly so your body is positioned to work the bike, instead of hurting yourself. You probably feel your "sit bones" hurting right now, or at least you should... the very bottoms of your hips have small nubby points, these are the only parts of your rear end that should be really "on" the seat. With that, you'll find that your legs move up and down fine.

If you're walking like a cowboy because your inner thighs hurt, your bike wasn't set up right. If it's because your sit bones hurt, well, they get used to it and it doesn't hurt after just a few rides.

Keep riding. You'll get faster and better and more fit. There are no downsides.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meatpimp posted:

25 miles is a long way on an old mountain bike, so don't feel bad about it. The first thing you need with a bike is to have it fit properly so your body is positioned to work the bike, instead of hurting yourself. You probably feel your "sit bones" hurting right now, or at least you should... the very bottoms of your hips have small nubby points, these are the only parts of your rear end that should be really "on" the seat. With that, you'll find that your legs move up and down fine.

If you're walking like a cowboy because your inner thighs hurt, your bike wasn't set up right. If it's because your sit bones hurt, well, they get used to it and it doesn't hurt after just a few rides.

Keep riding. You'll get faster and better and more fit. There are no downsides.

Yeah - I think you've got it here with the 'sit bones'. I'll have to try and make it a more regular thing.

This was 25 miles pretty much totally on the flat (there is a network of old canals in the UK with towpaths alongside). My thighs just feel like i've done some exercise which sounds promisingly like I have actually set the bike up right - which is good since I had to weld the frame back together to fix it and get the handlebar height back up to what I thought was right and it is now on maximum adjustment.

bolind posted:

Sore muscles or raw taint? The cure is practice and a good pair of padded bike shorts.

A raw taint would be grounds for me never going on that bike again! That would definitely be a downside!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bike fit is pretty important, making sure as mentioned your saddle fits properly and also that your weight is distributed over all your contact points.

Outside of that it's like any form of exercise, it's just getting used to it. If you've not ridden for a while then your muscles will be going "WTF?" as they're being forced to do things they're not used to in movement patterns they don't know. I cycle virtually every single day (commute) and have done for years but first starting out was achy.

Also once you start, don't stop. I've found that two weeks out drags your base fitness down massively. It does return quicker though.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

the spyder posted:

We have a Samsung side-by-side and hate the loving thing. There's something messed up in the defrost cycle/system so about twice a summer we have to take everything out of the fridge side and manually defrost it. I've gotten to the point where I've soldered extensions to the sensor wire and have tried relocating it to someplace closer to the evaporator inlet. Google around a bit for Samsung defrost problems and see if they impact any of the models you're looking at. I don't know if they're all bad, but I wouldn't buy another.

Whirlpool and GE are the two main companies behind Kenmore (which to the best of my knowledge, has never manufactured anything on their own, they just re-badge major appliances as Kenmore).

This is true - Kenmore has never been anything other than another rebranded appliance, but back when I was dealing with it (20 years ago) they took quality very seriously. Everything was compared, tested, and they'd even come in and grab a unit out of the warehouse to make sure you weren't sending them anything special. the place I worked for got their ice makers through the process to sell as Kenmore units, but it wasn't easy. I'm not sure if the Kenmore brand carries that much more weight any more.

mungtor fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 2, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Well it looks like RSPEC is an available license plate here so I guess I am gonna be that guy... Gives me an excuse to de-badge the car though.

Trust me, everyone already knows that you're That Guy. No need to get a plate to advertise that fact further.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

honestly the only good thing Samsung makes are tv and computer monitor panels, the rest of their products are almost always garbage and i would especially avoid their appliances because holy poo poo they are really, really bad

edit: i guess they make really good ssd's but regardless, dont get their appliances

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE JINGLE MY SAMSUNG WASHING MACHINE AND DRYER ARE SINGING TO ME

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember somewhere in AI people were talking about garage door openers and they complained of one that triggers the lights with the beam sensors. I forgot to reply and now I don't remember where it was so you should know on LiftMaster / Craftsman you can adjust that feature.

http://liftmaster.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/157/~/why-does-the-light-turn-on-when-i-enter-the-garage%3F

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
That was in fuzzkill's thread because of the ordeal he went through in setting up his opener on his massive door.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm sorry but gently caress Samsung appliances. They make nice TVs but the rest of it is awful.

I'm a Speed Queen/Roper person. The less buttons and gizmos, the better.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

the spyder posted:

What you should do, short of going with a tape measure to every appliance store, is use a site like AJMadison that has the ability to specify height and width in the search results, like so (fridges 64-68 in tall). And then, figure out who locally has the best deal on the model that fits and you like rather than buying from them because they're pretty shady sometimes. It's like reverse showrooming! Also nthing don't buy a samsung fridge, had one in an apartment a few years ago that broke and took two weeks to get a replacement circuit board. The property manager said that was the second or third time that particular fridge had a problem like that, which was really nice to know after it broke and I couldn't use it for 15 days. Sure it's just a stupid anecdote from someone on the internet, but caveat emptor etc.

Since you seen familiar with CUs. the ones I've used since I've moved here have been Community Credit Union (which changed to a for-profit bank about 13 years ago, and was bought out by Legacy Bank Texas last month), DTCU (Dallas Teachers Credit Union, then changed to Credit Union of Texas, and their online banking is straight from 1996), DATCU (Denton Area Teachers CU, now public), ITCU (InTouch Credit Union, which you suggested), and now Texans CU.

I'm actually really, really tempted to go back to DATCU. I don't live or work in Denton county anymore, but my church is in Denton Co (which qualifies me for membership, even if I wasn't a former member), and they have a branch 30 min from home. I plan to move back up there in the near future anyway.

If you're a former member then you should still qualify for membership, AFAIK. It looks like their main ATM network membership is allpoint, basically any 7-11 ATM is going to be surcharge free, and several others. Their site just directs you to Allpoint's stock ATM locator, which is kind of garbage (building the backend for ATM/branch locators is one of the things I do for work). It doesn't look like they're a member of a shared branching network, so you'd actually have to go up to Denton if you needed something more than an ATM, but I might just not be seeing the right information. And yeah, a lot of small-to-medium credit unions have ancient-looking online banking, usually sold by the same, or a related, vendor to who makes their core the thing that keeps all the account/transaction balances. But then, if those vendors actually knew how to make good looking, modern, responsive, useful online banking systems I'd be out of a job :smuggo:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Pupdate: Ellie is doing wonderful in the new place, though she's pretty much stalled any work I can do on the trucks until she's old enough to be on her own for awhile. I bring her to work every day which is pretty awesome.

She has a grand total of 2 teeth and is gumming things like crazy. Super active, gaining weight, and she's started on some puppy mush (which is disgusting by the way) to start the weaning process as directed by the vet.

Look how goddamn cute she is:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Teddy bear dog :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Noise Complaint posted:

Pupdate: Ellie is doing wonderful in the new place, though she's pretty much stalled any work I can do on the trucks until she's old enough to be on her own for awhile. I bring her to work every day which is pretty awesome.

She has a grand total of 2 teeth and is gumming things like crazy. Super active, gaining weight, and she's started on some puppy mush (which is disgusting by the way) to start the weaning process as directed by the vet.

SQUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :swoon:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Phone posted:

I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE JINGLE MY SAMSUNG WASHING MACHINE AND DRYER ARE SINGING TO ME

gently caress YES THEY PLAY THE BEST MELODIES!

But legit chat my Samsung washer/dryer are amazing as hell, and have had zero issues after 3 years (which I know isn't long, but any "just out of warranty breakdowns" are well long and gone).

The wife works in a mine as well, and those things wash some pretty grizzly dirt/dust/grease combos just fine. We do its self-clean every month or so, and a "proper" clean with some fancy cleaning things you put in with a load of crappy towels once every 3-4 months and it has not hiccuped at all. I do fear for if the electronics fry though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The samsung dryer they put into our barracks plays fancy melodies. It also broke one week in, and every replacement in the three months since has also broken. Granted, they are on heavy duty cycles (being a laundry bay in a military barracks), but the cheap as poo poo other machines keep on trucking.

Also the washing machine is a piece of poo poo that locks the lid after you start running water so you can't dilute your soap before putting clothes in, and you can't manually set the water level, it just goes "sensing" for ten loving minutes after you start, then decides to use too little water anyway so you come back an hour later (when all other machines are done in 25 minutes on "heavy cycle") to clothes that haven't moved from the intial positions you put them in because there wasn't enough water to actually tumble them.

gently caress Samsung machines.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have an LG fridge, dishwasher, microwave, and stove. I got them all pretty much because of the stupid songs they play.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went to get tires, other manager refused to honor the one I talked to's price.

Edit: gently caress these guys for still being the cheapest.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 2, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Noise Complaint posted:

Have her poo poo in my brother's cubicle. :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat dude. lovely it happened but it sounds like the Tesla held up pretty good.

You're not in Raleigh NC by chance are you? Coworkers son just bought a Snap-On truck and started doing runs last week I think.

Brother and his wife fly out early tomorrow morning. As soon as I get home from work tomorrow it's start cleaning and toss all their poo poo into the bedroom. Not sure if I'm still having a bunch of people over for the 4th to blow poo poo up but while they're out of the house and can't bitch I'm moving their mountain of poo poo.

Nah, Wisco

• Locked thread