Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I meant when you find a piece that straight up has Strength/Stamina as a barbarian but than gets bonus dexterity, which I have had happen. They're not best in slot by any means but they're not horrible to get. Of course just getting dodge is much nicer, and you are correct that super late game stuff has to be the best gear possible or you will get ruined but before than vaguely getting the right statistics tends to be enough for at least the first play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm one of those freaks who nigh-exclusively plays Diablo 3 in single player, rarely going above Expert difficulty. I enjoy Diablo 3 as a simple, mindless game to relax with at times and break things.

However, if y'all want to visit the secret level at some point - the one accessed by talking to a ghost with a very special item near Old Tristram - and don't have the item for it, I do have it. :)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lord_Magmar posted:

I meant when you find a piece that straight up has Strength/Stamina as a barbarian but than gets bonus dexterity, which I have had happen. They're not best in slot by any means but they're not horrible to get. Of course just getting dodge is much nicer, and you are correct that super late game stuff has to be the best gear possible or you will get ruined but before than vaguely getting the right statistics tends to be enough for at least the first play through.

Woah woah woah. Bonus Dexterity? Dodge?

That's some straight-up Vanilla speak there, friend.

In all seriousness, a lot of the gear was homogenized so that it will roll the mainstat of the character that caused it to drop, and then whatever else that item will have on it. All set items will roll with the mainstat for the class that uses that set, and so on.

I think someone was suggesting to replace Strength/Intellect/Dexterity with a single stat called Combat, so that the items would be more shareable. So a good item might have Combat/Vitality/Crit Chance/Crit Damage or something like that.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Zarin posted:

Woah woah woah. Bonus Dexterity? Dodge?

That's some straight-up Vanilla speak there, friend.

In all seriousness, a lot of the gear was homogenized so that it will roll the mainstat of the character that caused it to drop, and then whatever else that item will have on it. All set items will roll with the mainstat for the class that uses that set, and so on.

I think someone was suggesting to replace Strength/Intellect/Dexterity with a single stat called Combat, so that the items would be more shareable. So a good item might have Combat/Vitality/Crit Chance/Crit Damage or something like that.

Very, very, very rarely an item will drop and will roll an offstat for a character without getting mainstat.

It's almost never though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To be fair I only ever played the original version, and I honestly didn't get the problem everyone had with it. I found it to be a fun click men and gather loot experience, of course it was way more fun when I unlocked the ability slots and just had 3 buffs, revenge as my right click and the become huge as the other spell with the cleave auto-attacks so I could just tank everything.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: New Update :siren:

Videos:
Episode #3-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #3-2 and Uncut Commentary

Lore books:
Edit: Whoops, the 3-2 videos should've been cut off around the 17:07 mark. Sorry about that.
:smith: No new Beastiary books this time because I forgot to mark down new ones we encountered this time before recording the next videos. Next video is the end of act stuff, so I'll have the rest of the beastiary notes up then most likely.
I also made a mistake when recording audio so there is a bit of feedback coming in when I am speaking, I tried to clean it up as best I could, sorry.

Cythereal posted:

I'm one of those freaks who nigh-exclusively plays Diablo 3 in single player, rarely going above Expert difficulty. I enjoy Diablo 3 as a simple, mindless game to relax with at times and break things.

However, if y'all want to visit the secret level at some point - the one accessed by talking to a ghost with a very special item near Old Tristram - and don't have the item for it, I do have it. :)

The problem becomes which secret level, because there are several now :v:

Koobes fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 18, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Koobes posted:

The problem becomes which secret level, because there are several now :v:

Whimsyshire. In case one of y'all don't have it, I have the staff of herding.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also known as the My Little Pony secret area.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

goddamnit I am getting the itch to play again, although I am more interested in trying out the console version since I can borrow it from my library instead of forking over $80 for the lot

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair I only ever played the original version, and I honestly didn't get the problem everyone had with it. I found it to be a fun click men and gather loot experience, of course it was way more fun when I unlocked the ability slots and just had 3 buffs, revenge as my right click and the become huge as the other spell with the cleave auto-attacks so I could just tank everything.

The game was fine if you weren't concerned about what difficulty you were playing on, I think.

For size queens min/maxxers autists like myself, the top difficulty was literally impossible to complete without spending an absolutely inordinate amount of time playing the game, or forking over :10bux:.

By "inordinate", I mean that 99.99% of the gear that dropped was absolute trash; the other .01% could be good, but it might not even be for your class. The unfortunate part about that is that being a big dumb retard like I am, I didn't have the time or patience to learn what was actually good for other classes; I barely know what the very top-tier stuff for Barbarian was, let alone everyone else. So I either had to go price-check 10% of the stuff I found because one of the items might be a surprise $250 item, or I risk sharding real dollars. I'm risk averse, so when the first option became far too tedious, I chose "quit" over the second option.

But you're right, there was nothing WRONG with the original game if your playstyle fit the design. For better or worse, I tend to deconstruct things to the base level and optimize from there. Junos makes fun of me because it's generally a given that if I like a game, Excel will become involved somehow. That playstyle simply didn't mesh with the first iteration of the game; at least, not for the time I was willing to invest. Some people did extremely well, and I think that's neat. It just wasn't for me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Actually that does sound like absolute hell for me, I just sort of got bored of the game after going the full way through once, but I suspect if I had gotten to the hardest top end stuff I probably would've been driven mad by maximising my gear.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Aces High posted:

goddamnit I am getting the itch to play again, although I am more interested in trying out the console version since I can borrow it from my library instead of forking over $80 for the lot

I actually hear good things about the console version! You get some kind of extra roll for mobility on all classes, but i have no idea how targeted abilities work on that version :psyduck:. You can do local co-op as well, which also kind of breaks my perception of how you play the game, but at least you can do that from the comfort of your couch.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Koobes posted:

I actually hear good things about the console version! You get some kind of extra roll for mobility on all classes, but i have no idea how targeted abilities work on that version :psyduck:. You can do local co-op as well, which also kind of breaks my perception of how you play the game, but at least you can do that from the comfort of your couch.

You can lock on to enemies by holding down one of the triggers, most of the time it isn't necessary though. I think the nice thing about the console version is that Blizz has done a good job of keeping it updated to match the PC version. Most other games/game devs don't bother with such a thing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Koobes posted:

You can even play the game offline on consoles too! :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Will the wonders of modern technology ever cease to amaze? :v:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can lock on to enemies by holding down one of the triggers, most of the time it isn't necessary though. I think the nice thing about the console version is that Blizz has done a good job of keeping it updated to match the PC version. Most other games/game devs don't bother with such a thing.

I was thinking more like abilities like a monks dashing strike, or crusaders fallen sword, which don't really need to target enemies to work. Which I guess you don't really use them for mobility like you do on the pc version.

Judge Tesla posted:

:golfclap:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Videos:

Episode #4-1
Episode #4-2
Act I Journal Compilation

Lore:
Beastiary Entries:
No Uncut commentary since forgot to record the first time we finished this section :doh:.With the end of the act, I went back and collected all the journals and let me say, that rare spawn books in rare events are awful. The Act I Journals video contains all the VO's for all journals found in this act, arranged in ~story chronological order~ as best I could. I will have something similar for the Beastiary entries in Act I probably next week.

Koobes fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 25, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Something I should mention that only the console versions of D3 have is the Nemesis system, so basically whenever someone on your friend list is killed by a monster, there is a chance a powerful boss monster will teleport into your gameworld and he drops a few legenderies and a gift to send to your friend upon death.

You do get a warning when the Nemesis is coming for you, as you'll hear a series of droning noises in the background and the screen starts shaking just before he warps in, however the Nemesis itself uses super powerful versions of enemy abilities and can easily one shot you, so once you hear him coming make sure there's no strong enemy mobs nearby, as he can even attack you in rifts, but not greater rifts mercifully enough.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 25, 2015

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Something I should mention that only the console versions of D3 have is the Nemesis system, so basically whenever someone on your friend list is killed by a monster, there is a chance a powerful boss monster will teleport into your gameworld and he drops a few legenderies and a gift to send to your friend upon death.

You do get a warning when the Nemesis is coming for you, as you'll hear a series of droning noises in the background and the screen starts shaking just before he warps in, however the Nemesis itself uses super powerful versions of enemy abilities and can easily one shot you, so once you hear him coming make sure there's no strong enemy mobs nearby, as he can even attack you in rifts, but not greater rifts mercifully enough.

:psyduck: Its real weird to me that there is such a weird discrepancy in features between the two versions. I mean, I can understand adding some things in lieu of seasons, but this seems like such a strange thing to add.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
This game has done some poor decisions with cutscenes already. In Diablo 1, the Butcher just said "Ah... Fresh meat!" and charged. Here Magda went "blah, blah,blah, yada, yada and even more yada" before she released a butcher who do seem stronger than the Diablo 1 butcher, but this is nullified by the fact that you encounter him at the end of act 1 instead of near beginning of the game. So, the game spent more effort for what amounts to less. King Leoric has similar problems. However, it's at the end of act 1 I feel Blizzard made their first greater mistake.

Maghda killed Cain which is a pretty big deal in the Diablo series. Further, Diablo 2 had a lesser evil as the first end act boss, but currently there's only two evils left, which means Diablo 3 cannot afford to throw a lesser evil at you already. It would have made sense to use Cain's murderer as the first end act boss instead. However, Maghda just releases the Butcher and teleports away. Then Tyrael says that Maghda and her coven will lead you to Belial. Based on that, it looks like the game will use Maghda as merely an act 2 middle boss you kill to find Belial. Reducing her death to a step instead of the goal seems to me like a very inefficient way of using Cain's murderer. Heck, I know the barbarian, the male one at least, says "Maghda dies today!" during act 1 and then that doesn't happen. She really should have been dead by now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

She should honestly be dead for making you go through Act 2 because it's the goddamn worse.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Koobes posted:

:psyduck: Its real weird to me that there is such a weird discrepancy in features between the two versions. I mean, I can understand adding some things in lieu of seasons, but this seems like such a strange thing to add.

Even though consoles don't have seasons we still get all the seasonal legendaries as regular drops so its not all bad.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Crystalgate posted:

This game has done some poor decisions with cutscenes already. In Diablo 1, the Butcher just said "Ah... Fresh meat!" and charged. Here Magda went "blah, blah,blah, yada, yada and even more yada" before she released a butcher who do seem stronger than the Diablo 1 butcher, but this is nullified by the fact that you encounter him at the end of act 1 instead of near beginning of the game. So, the game spent more effort for what amounts to less. King Leoric has similar problems. However, it's at the end of act 1 I feel Blizzard made their first greater mistake.

I remember watching a youtube video where someone described the Butcher's introduction as being more appropriate to a WWE promo than to a diablo game. Errant Signal, maybe?

Either way, Diablo 3's gameplay is plenty solid, but it's really lacking in it's predecessors' atmosphere.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

Maghda killed Cain which is a pretty big deal in the Diablo series. Further, Diablo 2 had a lesser evil as the first end act boss, but currently there's only two evils left, which means Diablo 3 cannot afford to throw a lesser evil at you already. It would have made sense to use Cain's murderer as the first end act boss instead. However, Maghda just releases the Butcher and teleports away. Then Tyrael says that Maghda and her coven will lead you to Belial. Based on that, it looks like the game will use Maghda as merely an act 2 middle boss you kill to find Belial. Reducing her death to a step instead of the goal seems to me like a very inefficient way of using Cain's murderer. Heck, I know the barbarian, the male one at least, says "Maghda dies today!" during act 1 and then that doesn't happen. She really should have been dead by now.

Thinking about it, If journals were the only real method of story telling in this game, it would have a much different tone to it. The journals have a tone to them that (to me) is much more similar to Diablo I/II and it feels like they were recorded at an earlier time in development before they thought out the method of story progression.

Keeshhound posted:

I remember watching a youtube video where someone described the Butcher's introduction as being more appropriate to a WWE promo than to a diablo game. Errant Signal, maybe?

Either way, Diablo 3's gameplay is plenty solid, but it's really lacking in it's predecessors' atmosphere.

I know nothing about Wrestling but I can see your point

The gameplay is what keeps me playing the game on occasion. On higher difficulty levels its a good balance of keeping yourself alive, controlling enemies, and killing them as fast as possible. When we get to (level 70) set pieces, the gameplay becomes much faster paced.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

She should honestly be dead for making you go through Act 2 because it's the goddamn worse.

:agreed:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

:golfclap:

No John Cena, but very nicely done!

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Butcher's actually cooler and more fun in Heroes of the Storm than he is in this game

that's funny to me

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

There's only one man who's ever no-sold the Butcher's Heavy Smash...

And his name is John Cena!

toot too-toot tooooot~

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Story would flow a bit better if Belial kills Cain and we chase Maghda to find him since she is our only lead. But that leads into how badly Belial is used story wise.

The Butcher fight is really just a Cage match for King of the Ring in Sanctuary.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I will admit while I really artistically like Belial and his scenes he does feel really poorly utilized from a story perspective. Talk more about that later when its not spoilers.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

all I will say is that when first playing D3 I wasn't too hot on Act 1 because they kill Cain and we spend the whole time rehashing D1 but in a not very creative way. Then we move on to Act 2 and it just loving suuuuuuuucked.

Like, holy poo poo people thought the huge forests of Kurast in D2 were bad, so loving boring is Act 2 of D3

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Videos:

Episode #5 and Uncut Commentary
Act I Beastiary

Lore Books:

The Seven Lords of Hell
Belial, The Lord of Lies
Guard's Orders

Beastiary Entries:

Dune Thresher
Fallen Grunt
Fallen Lunatic
Lacuni
Sand Wasp

We begin Act II, and find our final follower friend. Everyone should yell at Zarin for not being prepared and instead taking the time to craft gear in the middle of recording :v:.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Eirenna is a pretty cool companion, if not for battle ability but for dialogue, all companions have a fair amount to say both in combat and out of it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I was impressed by the companion NPCs; I expected them to just be a little extra help in combat but they actually have a surprising amount of situationally relevant dialogue.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

I was impressed by the companion NPCs; I expected them to just be a little extra help in combat but they actually have a surprising amount of situationally relevant dialogue.

Their dialogue can also vary quite a bit based on your class's personality. I think it's the enchantress who has a random banter where she asks the PC what they expect to happen to them when they die. Answers range from "I don't plan to die, of course" to the Crusader's "I expect my apprentice to throw my body in a ditch somewhere and not give me a second thought, of course."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I always really liked the male Barbarian's conversations because I think they did a great job reflecting him being 20-30 years older than everyone else. For one thing it sounds like he's not really expecting to survive the entire thing and is totally okay with dying whilst on this quest. Another is the way he just seems amused at the various companions questions to him, or in some cases fed up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, the class I have the most experience with is the lady demon hunter, who is not unreasonably characterized as a bitter, pained young woman who is mad as hell at the universe in general and doesn't really have a plan for the future beyond killing demons. She has a subtle character arc to her where she seems to finally be starting to heal and get better about things as the game goes on... until Reaper of Souls, which hits the demon hunter particularly close to home. I used the Enchantress throughout the game on my demon hunter, and there was a noticeable evolution of the character through her banters with Eirena, starting to care about Eirena and the other companions and starting to believe in a better future as the game goes on... until Act 5 sent her completely off the deep end.

I'm one of those lunatics who plays Diablo 3 mostly single-player, and the strength of the characters in Diablo 3 is one of the main reasons I don't play adventure mode much - characters only banter and talk beyond combat dialogue in campaign mode, and every class, even sometimes varying by gender, has a distinct and generally well-written personality. The bad guys of Diablo 3 are atrociously written, but the protagonists are all done pretty well in my opinion.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Male Barbarian has seen all of this poo poo before, twice. With unicorns. He knows exactly what he is getting himself into and he is doing it anyway because he knows someone has to. I also like the Male Witch Doctor because he manages to be so laid back about the apocalypse happening in front of him :v:

The D3 characters each actually have genuine story arcs that they go through, it's really an astonishing level of characterization for a Diablo game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm a little sad they had to drop the male barbarian being the barbarian from the previous game aged up 20 years because it would require a lot more work than they original expected to give him unique dialogue everywhere that such a fact would come up.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"You're dangerous. I like you."

Still so very glad I suggested Crusader Mary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode #6 and Uncut Commentary

Lore books:

Azmodan, The Lord of Sin
Iron Wolf Captain's Journal
Missive to Maghda, Part 1
Missive to Maghda, Part 2

Beastiary Entries:

Accursed
Deceiver
Electric Eel
Stinging Swarm

We take care of one problem, but find some new problems, of course.

• Locked thread