Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

AWarmBody posted:

Marriage can be great when you learn to tolerate your spouse's lovely hobbies like staying clean and shopping.

While it isn't the best thing ever that there are two paragraphs devoted to telling women that they have to like football, and then one paragraph about "I dunno let women do their own poo poo sometimes", the general message of the section is actually halfway decent, even if the examples are weak as all hell.

I have one friend that used to ask me for marriage advice, and every single time the answer ended up being the same: "Find something you two like to do, and do it together, you idiot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

AWarmBody posted:

Okay. Here are the "guidelines for him" section. Mmmmm.

lol

'it may crush his fragile ego'

this ones for you goons

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah the liberal way of loving by age 12 and ending up living 34 alone in an apartment in Hoboken with 3 cats works way better than this outdated, conservative poo poo.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

It's pretty funny when you think about the fact that a 43 year old man probably made this image

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Yeah the liberal way of loving by age 12 and ending up living 34 alone in an apartment in Hoboken with 3 cats works way better than this outdated, conservative poo poo.

If you can afford Hoboken nowadays you're doing alright.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Da gently caress is Hoboken?
Barbies boyfriend after divorce?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

rock music

is the person who wrote this 150 years old?

"Gotta warn kids about the dangers of watching Elvis sway his hips on the new moving pictures"

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Da gently caress is Hoboken?
Barbies boyfriend after divorce?

its an elephant graveyard for single white liberal women

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

Rock Music vs Good Music
Haha daaaamn, A Beka coming out swinging

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my mom made me start doing homeschooling starting in 5th grade because my older siblings got into trouble in public school

it was kind of a bummer because I was a pretty smart kid who was about to skip a grade, but then my mom pulled me out and said, "this is for your own good" but she was a single mom and there was no one to supervise me all day

so I would wake up, watch TV, play nintendo (eventually EQ) all day, and then find the answer book and cheat on my schoolwork before my mom got home.

then every few years I had to go to a public school to take an exam and I'd freak out because I hadn't learned anything since 4th grade, but I'd always pass because apparently you learn everything you need to know by 4th grade

eventually I got my GED (good enough diploma lol!!!) when I was 17 years old and I never finished college or even picked a major

now I work on computers all day like every other goon

But yeah, I had textbooks like the OP. my science book taught that god literally created everything in a week and that evolution and science were stupid because they said we evolved from monkeys and if that's true then why do monkeys still exist, checkmate :smugdog:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
wow your mom did a number on you

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I'll give them one thing. at least they're attempting to write a manual to explain poo poo. All I got was "I don't give a gently caress what you do just don't end up in jail. I'm not going to get you out."

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

FreudianSlippers posted:

How is it legal for people who don't have teaching degrees to teach their own children?

Depends on the state. In my home state, Florida, you had to have an actual teacher look at what you've done every year and sign off on it as being satisfactory for your grade level. Also, there's a free online public school. Lots of my friends used that.

I basically did everything online except for algebra, since I had pretended to have done it already and successfully convinced my mom that I had. Then I had to learn it all in two weeks before my college's math placement test and majored in math, so it worked out anyway.

What I learned from homeschooling was this:

Ehud posted:

apparently you learn everything you need to know by 4th grade

If I had kids and didn't have to work, then I'd actually prefer to homeschool them. I would just make sure they knew of history and the bare minimum to function in life and get through college. So basically, social skills, basic computer programming, algebra and how to communicate effectively. Other than that I'd want to expose them to a little of everything and then insist that they pick a couple of things to learn a lot about.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
"Homeschooling" with private tutors can be a godsend if your kid is disabled and the school district sucks at special ed.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
A Beka Book is located at Pensacola Christian College, one of those Bible Colleges. This book has these subtle nudges to get people to go to a BC, like the last two sentences of this paragraph:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

That's like a spin-off of this R.L. Stein classic:

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I can't believe a beka is still around. My mom bought those horrible things and made me go through them and then made me grade my own work because she was incredibly lazy would rather lay around and listen to rush limbaugh and talk about how right he is than be a good parent. She was somehow surprised when I skipped straight to the answer key. Each time she caught me, she sure was disappointed in me, but not enough to do anything more than yell and cry instead of actually trying to make sure I learned anything (except for math. She sat down and made me do that poo poo at least a few times a month).

The 90s were a difficult time for me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A bass with barbed wire strings is pretty loving metal though.

I wonder if it's been attempted before even though I'm sure nothing good will come out of it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Today I learned that Christ is the ultimate versatile and that I wasted all that money on bleach when I could just have become blonde through Pure Thoughts and Good Music. Thanks homeschooling thread.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

god drat

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

AWarmBody posted:

Okay. Here are the "guidelines for him" section. Mmmmm.

jesus :stare:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
fuckng meliss and her luxurious apartment overlooking lake mhicigan, i'm glad she's dead

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

IcedPee posted:

I can't believe a beka is still around. My mom bought those horrible things and made me go through them and then made me grade my own work because she was incredibly lazy would rather lay around and listen to rush limbaugh and talk about how right he is than be a good parent. She was somehow surprised when I skipped straight to the answer key. Each time she caught me, she sure was disappointed in me, but not enough to do anything more than yell and cry instead of actually trying to make sure I learned anything (except for math. She sat down and made me do that poo poo at least a few times a month).

The 90s were a difficult time for me.

are you my brother irl because lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

god brought you together through something awful, so you could become a family again

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Roy posted:

It's pretty funny when you think about the fact that a 43 year old man probably made this image

weird how the stars are all stars of david

THE JEWS CONTROL THE HOMECOMING COURT :argh:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

:five:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Jukeboxblues posted:

e:forgot the application part

Jesus loving Christ.

:3:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Makes you think.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
what does edifying mean?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

edifying: hgaving the effect of turning you into a storefront

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

edifying: hgaving the effect of turning you into a storefront

thats a weird thing to have in the bible

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
ed·dy
ˈedē/Submit
noun
a circular movement of water, counter to a main current, causing a small whirlpool.
synonyms: swirl, whirlpool, vortex, maelstrom
"small eddies at the river's edge"

that guys a dumbass. it turns you into water.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what does edifying mean?

wordschristiansuse.txt

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
My last girlfriend turned into a crazy fundie after regularly attending a hard line southern Baptist Church on the insistence of her family.

Think I dodged a bullet there.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Ehud posted:

wordschristiansuse.txt

that doesn't really answer my question, and i am to lazy to look it up myself

• Locked thread