Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*Flashback to when Plutonis was born, already an adult with a Korn shirt and keyboard in hand after Hephaestus strikes a Makinami Mari Illustrious daki with his hammer*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

This doesn't make any sense. A human being cannot be birthed by a body pillow. Away!

I mean, you do strike me as someone immaculately conceived by a 2D anime character. *nods sagely*

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

*Flashback to when Plutonis was born, already an adult with a Korn shirt and keyboard in hand after Hephaestus strikes a Makinami Mari Illustrious daki with his hammer*

So you're the Korn guy in the protests.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I get to play AW for the first time this week and I cannot wait to perform sex moves with my closest friends.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fosborb posted:

I get to play AW for the first time this week and I cannot wait to perform sex moves with my closest friends.

Even better when your friend's siblings are also playing.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

FactsAreUseless posted:

#badwrongfun on synIRC.

Esser-Z posted:

We also have a Games Writing Workshop thread lurking around somewhere

Feedback usually ruins games because it puts your creativity under the rule of people who are definitely stupider than you and know poo poo about your vision.

Thank you all!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pfox posted:

Thank you all!

I do believe that the Game Writing Workshop thread has slipped into Archives, so you may want to post a new one.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Effectronica posted:

I do believe that the Game Writing Workshop thread has slipped into Archives, so you may want to post a new one.

It looked as though it was about to drop off, but I saved it at the last moment. You can check out my collection of perfunctory lists on the first page now.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

grassy gnoll posted:

The only mainline SMTs I've played were Strange Journey and IV. What's different about Nocturne?

Creative Director: Kazuma Kaneko

Basically, Nocturne's aesthetic is better executed than the later games, and the plot, though somewhat sparse/minimalist is generally much better than Strange Journey and moderately better than IV.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Nocturne is probably the only cRPG I find myself really wanting to replay anymore. It's really fantastic.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, I've been running RPGs for elementary school kids for about a year now and today I learned another lesson about making things engaging for kids: the best kind of inventory system for kids is "A space on the character sheet where they can draw their character and their stuff, everything they can fit into that space their character has."

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

grassy gnoll posted:

The only mainline SMTs I've played were Strange Journey and IV. What's different about Nocturne?

Some people like to think FFVI is 'edgy' for destroying the world halfway through the game. Nocturne blows it up right at the very beginning and lets you pick up the pieces as you will. It's also known for not pulling any of its punches. If you are bad at the game, the game will let you know very quickly. However, it will pull a few cheap shots on occasion.

I need some more ideas for a sexy/slutty trad games related costume. I was thinking sexy Gary Gygax complete with dangling dice bags and random sexy tables, but then I realized that I would be spitting in the eye of FATAL and it might blink.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

So, I've been running RPGs for elementary school kids for about a year now and today I learned another lesson about making things engaging for kids: the best kind of inventory system for kids is "A space on the character sheet where they can draw their character and their stuff, everything they can fit into that space their character has."

Brilliant

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Some people like to think FFVI is 'edgy' for destroying the world halfway through the game. Nocturne blows it up right at the very beginning and lets you pick up the pieces as you will. It's also known for not pulling any of its punches. If you are bad at the game, the game will let you know very quickly. However, it will pull a few cheap shots on occasion.

I need some more ideas for a sexy/slutty trad games related costume. I was thinking sexy Gary Gygax complete with dangling dice bags and random sexy tables, but then I realized that I would be spitting in the eye of FATAL and it might blink.
Nobody has ever described FFVI as "edgy."

Also sexy Illithid.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I keep forgetting that I am supposed to switch chat threads once a month

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

I keep forgetting that I am supposed to switch chat threads once a month

Seek immediate medical help if you experience a chat thread lasting longer than one month...

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 7, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think we should replace the November and December chat threads with a single Christmas Chat Thread. In fact, we can start it midway through October.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think we should replace the November and December chat threads with a single Christmas Chat Thread. In fact, we can start it midway through October.

General End-of-Year Holidaze Chatstravaganza.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody has ever described FFVI as "edgy."

Also sexy Illithid.

Girls PM me any pictures you have of yourselves cosplaying as Mindflayer from Monster Girl Encyclopedia.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Girls PM me any pictures you have of yourselves cosplaying as Mindflayer from Monster Girl Encyclopedia.

Sent. ;-*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Get a thread, you two

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Effectronica<3Plutonis OTP 4eva

Dec 26, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Its gameplay is similar to 4's except many of the non-convenience things they changed in 4 gameplay-wise were for the worse. It's got a really good atmosphere, and the plot mostly stays out of the way compared especially to Strange Journey, though it's generally not a problem when it pops up.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In honor of October, I want to take a minute to recount one of the greatest campaigns I've ever had the pleasure of hearing about.

This was a custom, horror themed campaign played over an October. They were playing D&D 3.5. They started with level 5 characters, to get them over the initial low-level hump. The starting party consisted of a Rogue, a Cleric, a Wizard, and a Paladin (with a giant spider mount).

The PC's were sent by the Cleric's church to check out a Mission they'd started on an island across the sea that they'd fallen out of contact with. Arriving at the island, they found a village that had been built around the church was the main settlement. The village was still there, but they had a major undead problem. Standard "you die, you come back as a zombie" thing. While investigating the cause, they came across some underground tunnels, and stumbled into a Kython lair.

Kython's are essentially the D&D version of the Xenomorph from Alien. They barely escape, learning three importants things: One, the Kythons are not responsible for the Zombies because (Two) they are being forced out of their Lair by undead Kythons, and (Three) they think the Villagers are responsible and were massing for an attack to wipe them out in a week. So, not good.

Upon returning to the Village, the DM gave them an option, they could load up who amd what they could, head back tot the mainland and finish the campaign from that side, or they could play out the siege and try to survive the attack. The players chose correctly, and picked the siege. They used the week to create some level 2 NPCs with PC classes, create some minor wands and potions, set up traps, etc.

When the Kythons came, the DM abstracted most of the fight. A good chunk of the enemy was taken out by traps and the trained NPCs, though they took heavy losses in turn. Both the Rogue and Wizard hit negative HP, and while they were trying (and failing) to make stabilization checks, the DM was passing them notes about how they could feel their souls beinf pulled from their bodies, dragging them to an endless empty void. The wizard hit -10 HP first, and then stood back up as a DM controlled undead Wizard, that kicked the poo poo out of the Paladin, dropped some plot bombs, and the hosed off into the sky. Apparently the wizards player was wanting to play something different, so it wasn't a huge deal.

The Rogue, on the other hand, kept failing her con checks that wasn't the DM's plan at all. At -9 HP, she fails her last Con check and dies. Not wanting to lose two PC's in one session he gave her the most appropriate last chance you can give a Rogue: a reflex save. She rolled a natural 20.

The DM ruled that he Soul dodged the vortex and jumped right back into her own dead body, displacing the evil *thing* that was trying to settle in. End result, she was animating her own dead body. She got some of the benefits of being a zombie, but also the drawbacks: potions and heal spells wouldn't work on her anymore (although an inflict spell would heal her up) and her body, being dead, was rotting. On the other hand, she could use needle and thread to stitch herself back together and regain HP that way, and the Cleric started getting Gentle Repose every day so that she wasn't actively rotting.

Some of the best bits are coming up, i'll post more in a bit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How do you make an IRC channel on SYNirc which won't vanish after you leave it?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You have to register it with chanserv. Message chanserv.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

You have to register it with chanserv. Message chanserv.

How do I do that?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

How do I do that?

/cs REGISTER #[channel] [channel password] [description]

Fill in the blanks as needed!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thanks for the help, both of you.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Captain Walker posted:

Get a thread, you two

To be fair, they actually fulfilled my request for more sexy/slutty ideas for this Halloween.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How feasible is it to run a horror game like CoC or Trail by the seat of your pants, with little or no preparation?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I don't see why it would be a problem, just come up with a cool, well-defined monster and poo poo should write itself.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

How feasible is it to run a horror game like CoC or Trail by the seat of your pants, with little or no preparation?

If you want something that's intended to be scary, not very. Setting up the scares will require some preparatory work ahead of time. If you want a splatter game, you're fine with improv.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I guess so. I only bring it up because every Actual Play I've listened to and most books I've read seem to assume you're going to be working off of a written adventure, even if you use your TG powers to accommodate going off the beaten path.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Horror is an hard atmosphere to create and mantain, so I personally would not risk it.

I am considering giving TG podcasts a try. Where should I start?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Scary October gaming experience of mine: I haven't GMed in years because I could never get a group together, and in a system I've never actually run to any real extent!

It's only FATE, and the first session was mostly freeform with the occasional "let's see if this NPC takes mental stress from how blunt you are" roll, but I really don't know what numbers I should be throwing at my players for larger conflicts. The game is tomorrow, so here's hoping it works fine!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My three go-tos are:

Roleplaying Public Radio has some of the best campaign arcs and players and has basically spoiled me on everything else. Actually, part of where I'm coming from with my horror question is that I really want to do something Cthulhu-related from having listened to RPPR so much.

Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff has a lot of neat game-able ideas by two really good TRPG writers/designers, but their audio quality can leave something to be desired.

System Mastery is really funny and they put a lot of effort into their skits, although the subject matter isn't always current/serious.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess so. I only bring it up because every Actual Play I've listened to and most books I've read seem to assume you're going to be working off of a written adventure, even if you use your TG powers to accommodate going off the beaten path.

Run eldritch horror in Dread. I'll never run it in anything else again.

Prep is basic premise, starting scene, character questionnaires (hundreds of examples in the book to pick from), sketch out a few scenes for the session. 30 minutes to an hour. You can do the rest of your prep while players are completing their questionnaires.

Dread keeps tension ramped up high enough throughout your game that it's easy to weave in scares as inspiration hits. (Questionnaires will tell you what characters and their players are scared of)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am considering giving TG podcasts a try. Where should I start?

In addition to what gradenko said:

Tabletop Superhighway is really good meta-discussion about the hobby.

One-Shots is an actual play podcast that tends to feature more obscure games. Fair warning: they tend to go a little overboard with goofy character concepts and such.

Six Feats Under is a long-running 13th Age game run by our own Ironicus, and has a bunch of goons on it. It's also recently started doing one shots of new and upcoming games with good discussions on the subjects of those games.

• Locked thread