Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
What is homicide per capita for each ownership group? I would expect more people to own knives and handguns than shotguns or rifles, so higher numbers of homicides with the former set of weapons isn't inherently surprising/significant.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

Ask the democrats next time the propose gun control that targets "scary" long arms instead of handguns.

so the democrats are the reason that one poster claimed misleading and useless numbers are facts?

party of personal responsibility, everyone. the democrats made me shitpost, i am blameless

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so the democrats are the reason that one poster claimed misleading and useless numbers are facts?

party of personal responsibility, everyone. the democrats made me shitpost, i am blameless

I don't know why he posted those stats. v:shobon:v

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Tezzor posted:

I agree that many sentences are silly when they are deliberately rephrased to make no sense, by an idiot. For example, the sentence "the earth revolves around the sun" if rephrased to say "the sun is three feet tall and is mostly cabbage by volume" ceases to be scientifically accurate.

You can get mad and call me an idiot all you like. It doesn't make your demonization of guns any less apparent or my characterization of your views any less accurate.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Banning obscure tough guy cosplay accessories is a good idea because each little ban is a dart shot into the side of the elephant

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

I don't know why he posted those stats. v:shobon:v

apparently the democrats do, however

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

crabcakes66 posted:

You can get mad and call me an idiot all you like. It doesn't make your demonization of guns any less apparent or my characterization of your views any less accurate.

It is indeed impossible to make something less than zero.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

apparently the democrats do, however

Actually the Democrats are poo poo, and don't give a poo poo about anything except getting votes. At least the republican's are honest about their shittiness.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Powercrazy posted:

Actually the Democrats are poo poo, and don't give a poo poo about anything except getting votes. At least the republican's are honest about their shittiness.
Mmmm, the "Bubonic plague is better than AIDS because it kills you faster" approach to voting

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

"at least the republicans are honest" said the noted idiot poster in defense of another idiot poster, who lied

regardless, i agree we shouldn't do anything about the easy availability of firearms, because then the sky high suicide rate among white males may decrease, limiting social progress. they have multiple avenues to seek help if they desire it, so i see no reason for nanny government to interfere with their decision making

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Mmmm, the "Bubonic plague is better than AIDS because it kills you faster" approach to voting

Nah. I vote in the primaries for actual progressive candidates who don't give a poo poo about pointless cultural wedge issues.

"at least the republicans are honest" said the noted idiot poster in defense of another idiot poster, who lied

regardless, i agree we shouldn't do anything about the easy availability of firearms, because then the sky high suicide rate among white males may decrease, limiting social progress. they have multiple avenues to seek help if they desire it, so i see no reason for nanny government to interfere with their decision making

Agreed. Though in general Suicide should be discouraged, they shouldn't be discourage based on method.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A list of true american heroes :911:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powercrazy posted:

A list of true american heroes :911:

not 1 and 4

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

All are Heroes, but not all are martyrs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

but why exclude handguns which are used most frequently in homicides and sucicides and, last i checked, were firearms (guns)

also lol that firearms of unstated type still used used more often than knives

Because we're all well aware of that.

Unfortunately, it's never handguns that the gun control advocates try to move against. Always screaming about 'assault weapons' instead.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Unfortunately, it's never handguns that the gun control advocates try to move against. Always screaming about 'assault weapons' instead.

what's it like being permanently stuck in 1994

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Inflation's down and I can get on an airplane without a cavity search, so pretty good!

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

joat mon posted:

Most likely protected conduct, e.g., free speech
(or bearing arms)
No, I meant like a literal example "Jane Doe was kicked out of WalMart on this date for the following reasons and was reimbursed X US dollars through a court case deciding against WalMart"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

twodot posted:

No, I meant like a literal example "Jane Doe was kicked out of WalMart on this date for the following reasons and was reimbursed X US dollars through a court case deciding against WalMart"
e.g.,
http://www.nyclu.org/case/campeau-laurion-v-raymond-kelly-new-york-yankees-partnership-et-al-challenging-forced-patriotis
http://www.thepresstribune.com/article/westfield-settles-free-speech-lawsuit
https://www.thefire.org/settlement-agreement-sinapi-riddle-v-citrus-college/
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-03-11/news/mn-1358_1_civil-rights

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
You can't enter the Radiologically Restricted Area of a nuclear power plant without 12-15 hours of class work, with yearly requalifications. Nuclear power plants are all also on public land. This infringement of freedom of movement is instinctively accepted by just about everybody, but suggesting that similar restrictions exist on the right to self-defense is totalitarian insanity. Thus, we can see that it's more important to shoot than to move.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

It's easier to move legislation against assault weapons than it is pistols. It's not nearly as helpful but every little bit helps

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

You can't enter the Radiologically Restricted Area of a nuclear power plant without 12-15 hours of class work, with yearly requalifications. Nuclear power plants are all also on public land. This infringement of freedom of movement is instinctively accepted by just about everybody, but suggesting that similar restrictions exist on the right to self-defense is totalitarian insanity. Thus, we can see that it's more important to shoot than to move.

Obviously because without guns how do you keep people out of the radiologically restricted section?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Obviously because without guns how do you keep people out of the radiologically restricted section?
Radioactive sludge cannons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tezzor posted:

It's easier to move legislation against assault weapons than it is pistols. It's not nearly as helpful but every little bit helps

What, pray tell, does it help?

Beyond letting some smug idiots pat themselves on the back and feel that they 'did something about the problem' by changing nothing about the greater part of the threat.

If you're going to fight against the law, at least have the decency to try and change the ones that will accomplish your stated goals.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

What, pray tell, does it help?

Beyond letting some smug idiots pat themselves on the back and feel that they 'did something about the problem' by changing nothing about the greater part of the threat.

If you're going to fight against the law, at least have the decency to try and change the ones that will accomplish your stated goals.

Banning assault weapons accomplishes three things. One: it fucks with gun fanboys, who are whining scum. Two: it very slightly decreases gun sales by slightly disrupting that part of the gun fanboy culture based around buying superfluous weapons because they Look Badass. Three: many mass shooters are in that culture.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 7, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

Banning assault weapons accomplishes three things. One: it fucks with gun fanboys, who are whining scum.
Any law with any version of this as justifciation is a bad law, hth.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I live in Baltimore so I need an assault weapon because the city is 60% black and black people are scary. Also society increasingly emasculates me because the relevance of white men in the media is slightly waning, women have goals in life besides being married and having children, and automation has decimated my ability to be economically mobile. Guns make me play out fantasies in my head in which the former things I've listed can be made to go away by shooting someone or something. Also, no one should be able to tell me what to do because I have the internet and I read a lot of things and feel smart because I can regurgitate information.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Also, no one should be able to tell me what to do because I have the internet and I read a lot of things and feel smart because I can regurgitate information.

Yeah this part is definitely exclusive to any one group of people.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I live in Baltimore so I need an assault weapon because the city is 60% black and black people are scary. Also society increasingly emasculates me because the relevance of white men in the media is slightly waning, women have goals in life besides being married and having children, and automation has decimated my ability to be economically mobile. Guns make me play out fantasies in my head in which the former things I've listed can be made to go away by shooting someone or something. Also, no one should be able to tell me what to do because I have the internet and I read a lot of things and feel smart because I can regurgitate information.

That's weird dude.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sever.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Knives don't kill people, Uyghurs do.

Ban Uyghurs

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I think guns should be registered the same way that motor vehicles are. If you are charged with a crime, diagnosed with a mental disorder, etc. then obviously your guns should be confiscated. Because outright banning guns isn't going to work and they would simply go on the black market the same way narcotics have if that law did indeed pass. Thoughts?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tezzor posted:

Banning assault weapons accomplishes three things. One: it fucks with gun fanboys, who are whining scum. Two: it very slightly decreases gun sales by slightly disrupting that part of the gun fanboy culture based around buying superfluous weapons because they Look Badass. Three: many mass shooters are in that culture.

You know what the best part is? They don't have to do a thing to make you squirm and whine in impotent rage because the law is already on their side.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

I have to congratulate you, very few people in favor of gun control have managed to turn their political position into a fetish on par with gun fetishism.

You could be the editor of a gun-banning magazine but instead of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER it would be AMERICAN GUNBANNER. Instead of columns with Penthouse Forum-style fantasy letters about stopping black muggers by waving a pistol, you could have a column with letters about banning guns and how the gun owners cried with fear.

Not sure what you'd have on the cover though. Maybe portraits of Dianne Feinstein.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

You know what the best part is? They don't have to do a thing to make you squirm and whine in impotent rage because the law is already on their side.

I'm not sure why I should be ashamed at being angry about stupid destructive laws. Their anger about their toy access being hypothetically limited, however, is wholly shameful

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah

OwlFancier posted:

I wish they made just like, a small bladed knife with a big handle. My box opener is rubbish, I want a better replacement.

You want a puuko maybe:

quote:

Also how do you cut and/or stab anything with the top one? It looks dumb.

It's exclusively for slashing. All the force is concentrated in the hawkbill point. That's the idea anyway

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

you could just advocate for voluntary euthanasia and also ban guns; letting white people die by their own will and protecting victims of shootings at the same time

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
But voluntary euthanasia is so much less impulsive than a gun. I can't make a rash decision in the heat of the moment to hop in my car, drive down to the local doctor's office, fill out some paperwork and end it all. Nothing beats the convenience nor speed of a gun when it comes time to kill the fascist inside of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SedanChair posted:

You want a puuko maybe:

That is a workable size but I think if I carried that around I would get arrested in about ten seconds.

• Locked thread