Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Surely nothing bad happens at sea

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
These boots are made for walking

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Bad things have a history of happening to people who go to sea in Greek myths. We're walkin' to Athens.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Perhaps we should take the hint to see if we're in Poseidon's favor?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Let's face it. Poseidon is a jerk, and any greco-roman themed adventure that goes out to sea basically only exists to tempt his wrath.

Let's go by foot!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Amble Athens-ward, Amicable Altheus

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
3 many votes for ignoring hints and boats, and just Walkin' on! Altheus takes the long (ish) road.

455 posted:

You are striding along the beach, deep in thought, remembering your mother's house at Troezen, and your childhood which seems a lifetime ago, but yet is less than a week gone. There is no one else here, perhaps because of the cold sea breeze driving the birds inland. Out at sea you notice a vessel struggling in the heavy swell. Your musings are suddenly brought to a close by an apparition rising from the sea. A jet-black horse with a golden mane emerges, tosses its head, whinnying, and gallops towards you, hooves printing lightly in the wet sand.

Will you attack the horse (go to 541)?

Will you try to capture it (go to 67)?

Or will you simply avoid it (go to 196)?

Uh. I'm pretty sure that's not how a sea horse works. :psyduck: is this another specific Greek mythology reference?

Either way, we have our options!

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 2, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

100percentjesusfree posted:

:psyduck: is this another specific Greek mythology reference?

Yes.

Anyways, let's capture it, because that never goes wrong.

(I keep forgetting whether "the horse tamer" is a Hector or Achilles thing. Probablllllllllly Hector, but still.)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Agh, gently caress, Poseidon finds a way to gently caress with us anyway, huh. Poseidon is - for some reason - traditionally considered to be the god of horses, and is thought to have created them in the first place. I can't recall if this specific horse is a reference to anything.

We probably shouldn't try to kill a god-horse, but capturing it might work out?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Avoid, Amicable Altheus!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Let's not piss Poseidon off, especially since we still have mandatory sea travel in the future.
An horse rising from the sea, where the setting has a god of sea and horses? Yeah, here's our ride if we show ourselves worthy.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Interpreting that last post as a capture attempt, we try to grab this mysterious sea horse!

67 posted:

As the horse gallops past, you grab hold of its golden flowing mane, and jump on to its back. The horse careers wildly up and down the beach, and you are hard put to stay on. Eventually the horse calms, and you feel you have the mastery of it. At this point, you look down and see an old man standing at the water's edge, robed in sea-greens and blues. In his hands, he bears a trident, wreathed in seaweed.

'Well done,' he congratulates you. 'You have pleased me somewhat. For I am Poseidon, not merely god of the seas, but also master of horses. For your good sense, I will reward you. The seas no longer hold peril for you. Continue on your quest with my blessing, though I am unable to grant you your brother's courage, or the wisdom of your father.' With this, the horse gallops to its master and into the sea, and you are forced to scramble off into the salt water, before you are submerged.

You are in favour with Poseidon, if he is not your patron. In any case, have 3 Honour points.

Awed at the appearance of the Ocean's lord, you travel on beyond Cenchraea, to Crommyon. Go to 100.

Huh. You wouldn't think that being lord of the sea and master of horses are professions with much overlap, but what do I know? Either way, this is great! Even more free honour, and a fairly major god being friendly towards us. Given that sea travel is just about unavoidable on our quest, having a friend in there is a definite boon. We can move on to 100 in high spirits.

Edit:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Poseidon was also the god of earthquakes, for what it matters. Poseidon is one of the older gods, and was worshipped all around the Mediterranean, but chiefly in Corinth (where we didn't go!), and was actually a big deal - he was Zeus's brother, so he's not just some chump water god or anything. Anyway, he is often paired with Demeter, goddess of grain and agriculture - an endeavour to which horses are obviously important - and there's reason to suspect he was originally a god of the earth, not the sea (that was another deity, Nereus), and that the association with horses thus came first. As seafaring become more economically and militarily important, he gradually took over that domain, too.

Huh. That makes much more sense than the Greeks going for a really bizarre seahorse joke with one of their major gods. Thanks, Hyper Crab Tank!

100 posted:

Near a small, brightly-lit tavern, you see people scattering in all directions, panic and frenzy in their eyes. You try to grab one middle-aged man, but he pushes past, unwilling to stop for anyone. 'The sow!' he warns, as he dashes past. At this cry others join in the headlong flight away from the harbour area. You turn round to see what is hte matter, and there, stnading, menacing behind you is a reddy-brown, enormous sow, froth dripping from its lips. It steps towards you, clearly about to charge.

Do you run away as fleet-footed Hermes (go to 493)?

Or do you stand at bay to fight the Crommyonian sow (go to 176)?

Today is an interesting day for Altheus with regards to animals. Perhaps it's time to make some bacon?

Chronicle Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 2) = 6
Protection: 11 ( +1 ) = 12
Honour: 16
Shame: 4

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)
Long Knife (+2, +0)

Greaves (+0, +1)

Deities
Patron: Athena
Favoured: Asclepius, Hera, Poseidon
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem
Zeus prayer still intact. (for now!)

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 3, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

Attack, Amicable Altheus!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

FIIIIIGHT!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Huh. You wouldn't think that being lord of the sea and master of horses are professions with much overlap, but what do I know?

Poseidon was also the god of earthquakes, for what it matters. Poseidon is one of the older gods, and was worshipped all around the Mediterranean, but chiefly in Corinth (where we didn't go!), and was actually a big deal - he was Zeus's brother, so he's not just some chump water god or anything. Anyway, he is often paired with Demeter, goddess of grain and agriculture - an endeavour to which horses are obviously important - and there's reason to suspect he was originally a god of the earth, not the sea (that was another deity, Nereus), and that the association with horses thus came first. As seafaring become more economically and militarily important, he gradually took over that domain, too.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Fight!

In Fighting Fantasy news, the kickstarter for the Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock Of Firetop Mountain has passed it's target. There's still 3 places left if YOU want to be a NPC!

(Yes, I backed it).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 3, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
When we fight, let's use the axe.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
To battle! We're just fighting a swine, how hard can it be?

:stare: Well, that doesn't look promising.

176 posted:

The sow (might 12, protection 6) charges you.

If you defeat it, go to 615.
If you successfully retreat, go to 493.
If you die, but are saved by Zeus, go to 378.

That'd be an awkward conversation with the father of the gods. "Hey, can you bring me back? I have heroic deeds to do but got killed by an angry pig."

That said, its stats are pretty intimidating, but it has a fatal weakness, as usual; we go first. We both roughly automatically hit each other, so barring some exceptionally lovely luck, we should pretty much auto-win this without needing to spend any honour.

Naturally, this means poor rolls and death are inevitable. As requested, axe it is!

Altheus
Might: 4 ( + 5 ) = 9.
Protection: 11 (+ 1, - 3) = 9
Wounds: Healthy+1. We have a free Wound that I forgot to note down on the Chronicle sheet, courtesy of Asclepius.

Sow:
Might: 12
Protection: 6
Wounds: Healthy.

Round 1

Altheus: 3 + 1 + 9 = 13. We roll one away from an auto-miss. Yikes. Still, we hit! The sow becomes Wounded.

Sow: 5 + 6 + 12 = 23. The sow auto-hits, even without its might bonus. It makes no difference, Altheus remains Healthy thanks to the healer's blessing.

Round 2

Altheus: 6 + 4 + 9 = 19. The sow becomes Seriously Wounded.

Sow: 6 + 12 = 18. The sow hits, Altheus becomes Wounded.

Round 3

2 + 3 + 9 = 14. Altheus hits. The sow is Dead. We move on to 615.

Too easy. Sort of a shame we don't get a choice about where to use up our bonus Wound, as I wouldn't have spent it here. Admittedly that would've given us a 1/6 chance to gently caress up and automiss on our last attack, and die a rather embarrassing death, but that free wound is a nice thing to have.

615 posted:

You may have 6 Honour points for defeating the sow, and, in addition, one of the grateful citizens of Crommyon gives you a spear for delivering them. It is Might 3, Protection 1. Go to 378.

:signings:

I think it goes without saying this is a fantastic haul. A nice chunk of Honour, and a pretty fantastic weapon are both going to make future combats easier. Unless someone asks otherwise, I'll probably default to the spear, simply because it gives the most stats overall.

378 posted:

it is now dusk: your incident with the sow has delayed you. When you reach the harbour, you are told that the ship to Athens has left. It seems you must continue for the rest of your journey on foot. You decide to spend the night in Crommyon, and soon find a suitable inn. In the morning, well rested and well fed, you set out once more towards your father's palace.

As you leave the town, you come to a sign. You may take a stone-strewn track up the hills to Pagae (go to 302), or you may follow the coastal route down to Megara (go to 161)

As always thread, the choice is yours!

Chronicle Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 3) = 7
Protection: 11 ( +1, +1 ) = 13
Honour: 22

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)
Long Knife (+2, +0)
Spear (+3, +1)

Greaves (+0, +1)

Deities
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem
We ignore Honour penalties for hints.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Don't we need to go to Athens? Because Pagae is in the wrong direction from where we are, in Crommyon. Go Megara's way. I'd say to keep to land movements if possible until we need to sail to Knossos, just in case any travel consumes Poseidon's favour.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Man, that pig had some sweet loot! I have a feeling we still have a long way to go before we can take on that minotaur, though.. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that's where this is going in the end.

Once again, let's not stray from the path to Athens unless we have a reason to. To Megara!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Megara sounds good.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Quote is not edit.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 3, 2015

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Omobono posted:

Don't we need to go to Athens? Because Pagae is in the wrong direction from where we are, in Crommyon. Go Megara's way. I'd say to keep to land movements if possible until we need to sail to Knossos, just in case any travel consumes Poseidon's favour.

That's not generally something you have to worry about; once you're in favour with a god, you tend to be in favour with them until you annoy them somehow. Sometimes when you get into favour with them, you get a temporary boon (like our bonus wound!) on top of being in favour with them, but I don't think most gods will throw you out of favour immediately after helping you out somehow. Then again, Poseidon in these books is kind of pissy.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Man, that pig had some sweet loot! I have a feeling we still have a long way to go before we can take on that minotaur, though.. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that's where this is going in the end.

Once again, let's not stray from the path to Athens unless we have a reason to. To Megara!

Quite possibly! There's still quite a bit of adventuring left for Altheus before we have to worry about the endgame of his quest; this is only the first of three books, after all.

Anyway, onwards to Megara!

161 posted:

You reach Megara by midday. The fresh sea-breeze of the coat road blows your hair, which waves as do the golden ears of corn under the summer sun, before the farmers come to harvest them with their sickles of shining metal, laughing and warming to the task.

You could go to the famous market at Megara (go to 470), or alternatively simply wander around the town for a few hours (go to 539)

Ever feel like an Author doesn't really have much to say, so they just start waxing poetic?

Or like I don't have much to say, so I just snark?

In any case, there's no option for Altheus to just get his butt in gear and keep moving. We don't really have any money to keep track of, so there's no real method of shopping for gear or anything, but we might still find something interesting in the market. Then again, we might also find something interesting by just wandering around!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

That's not generally something you have to worry about; once you're in favour with a god, you tend to be in favour with them until you annoy them somehow. Sometimes when you get into favour with them, you get a temporary boon (like our bonus wound!) on top of being in favour with them, but I don't think most gods will throw you out of favour immediately after helping you out somehow. Then again, Poseidon in these books is kind of pissy.

To be fair, he's pretty pissy in the actual mythology, too.

Anyway, Megara is on the way to Athens so that seems like the right way to go. Furthermore the honor/shame system seems like it would punish us for dicking around with the backtracking and sidequests one normally does in an RPG/gamebook, so Megara it is!

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Mister Perky posted:

To be fair, he's pretty pissy in the actual mythology, too.

Anyway, Megara is on the way to Athens so that seems like the right way to go. Furthermore the honor/shame system seems like it would punish us for dicking around with the backtracking and sidequests one normally does in an RPG/gamebook, so Megara it is!

Aha, that makes sense.

We are actually in Megara regardless! We're just deciding if we want to wander aimlessly around it, or check out the market district specifically.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Let's check out the market!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Ah. Well then, Market, because wandering around aimfully is probably better than wandering around aimlessly. Famous market probably entails allowing the author to work in another recognizable Greek history and/or mythology reference, so let's let them do that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Shopping spree!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Market

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

470 posted:

The market is large, larger than that of Corinth, a fact which surprises you. Perhaps it is something to do with the festival of Hera. There are rumours that the temple has been defiled, and someone must pay with their life. There are merchants here from all parts of Greece - from Arcadia, Achaia, Boeotia, Attica, and even far-off Thessaly and mountainous Epirus. Yet with large gatherings there come less savoury visitors than amicable Altheus. At one stall selling food, you see a group of scruffy men. They seem to be stealing, while one of their number distracts the vendor. Surprised by this, you are forced to make a quick decision.

Do you alert the trader (go to 287)?
Do you attack the men yourself (go to 63)?
Do you join in and take full advantage of the opportunity of some free food (go to 219)

Some of the options in this book really do seem like idiot traps, don't they? In a series where there's no kind of hunger stat or persistent health, there seems to be limited need to steal bread; especially when honour and shame ARE something we keep track of. :v:

Hamilcar
Oct 18, 2012
Stabbing someone over some stolen food seems a bit much, we should alert the trader instead.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Alert, Amicable Altheus!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Any myth associated to the temple's defilement? I'm coming up empty.

Alert just in case we're wrong. Worst case scenario we look like fools instead of murderers.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Omobono posted:

Any myth associated to the temple's defilement? I'm coming up empty.

Alert just in case we're wrong. Worst case scenario we look like fools instead of murderers.

Not that I'm aware of, but then, I'm pretty far from a mythology buff. Much as I LIKE Greek mythology, my knowledge of it is pretty much surface-level at best :shobon:

287 posted:

The trader shouts out, 'Stop, thieves!' A general hue and cry erupts as everywhere people rush about seeking to catch the men. You find it surprising that anyone could hope to achieve anything in this mélee, more reminiscient of the fights of the Achaians under high-walled Troy, but at length the thieves are caught, and taken away by the market-wardens for summary justice. Go to 414.

Justice served! Possibly slightly harsh justice (One of the routes we avoided spells out that the penalty for theft, for locals, is death.)

414 posted:

The merchant whose stall was being robbed comes up to you and says, 'I am pleased to see that honesty and the code of Honour still previal. For your service I would like to make you a gift.' He hands over a rather old, but still strong shield. 'This is mine, but I have no use for it any more. Take this shield: I used it once in Crete, though I doubt you've ever been there. All I ask is you don't dishonour it, and remember my name: Cyron.' The shield is Might - 1, Protection 3. You continue on your way from Megara to Eleusis, sacred to Demeter. Go to 86.

Nice! The book is just throwing nice loot at us now, and this shield gives us some real options. We can use it with our spear to have massive protection, and still a decent amount of attack, or use it with our axe to have huge might while still having moderate protection.

86 posted:

Eleusis, fairest flower in the Attic garden save only proud Athens herself, home of Demeter's sacred mysteries, bright pearl that gazes over yellow Salamis with kindly eye!

I dunno, if your salami has gone yellow, it's probably time to throw it out.

86 posted:

86 contd.

Eleusis, where you, Altheus, now find yourself amid the yearly festival of the corn-goddess, bright-eyed Demeter, fair lady of the earth, and all the fruit it bears.

You move on slowly through the crowds, gathered in awe at the awaited time, when Persephone, spirit of spring, must return to the earth above, and life begin anew. Go to 416.

416 posted:

At length you reach the temple itself. On the wide white steps there stand the priestesses of the great goddess, chanting and wailing their rite. The crowd is hushed, straining to hear every word, and silent in anticipation of some great event.

Then the high priestess begins to move among the crowd, touching now one, now another, brushing them with her yellow robe, but never satisfied. Her motions become more frenzied, like one inspired by the goddess. At last she comes to you. Gripping you by the upper arm, she draws you up to the temple steps. Go to 248.

Well, we COULD do that. Or, alternatively, we could risk taking a hint here, if we're not sure we want to get involved with all this and/or want some advice. What say you, thread? Go along with this, or see if the hint offers us another path?

Edit, nearly forgot the chronicle sheet.

Chronicle Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 3, -1) = 6
Protection: 11 ( +1, +1, +3 ) = 16
Honour: 22

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)
Long Knife (+2, +0)
Spear (+3, +1)

Greaves (+0, +1)

Cyron's Shield (-1, +3)

Deities
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem
Ignore Honour penalties for hints.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hint: don't get sacrificed.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ancient Greece didn't practice human sacrifice, it was mostly various animals. What's going on here sounds like an initiation ritual into the Eleusinian Mysteries, this old mystery cult dedicated to Demeter and Persephone (think ancient Greek Illuminati). Maybe if we get initiated we can be favored by Demeter? Let's do it.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 3, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'd rather not risk insulting the Gods' (presumable) charity. Let's just roll with it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Ancient Greece didn't practice human sacrifice, it was mostly various animals.
I'm pretty sure this is kind of like how Rome "didn't practice human sacrifice" i,e except for all the times they did, which were totally an exception.

theshim
May 1, 2012

(to the) Altar, Amicable Altheus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Sure, we can spare some blood. Play along.

• Locked thread