Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

SurrealityCheck posted:

As a historical thing, it's worth noting that the "celts" didn't really exist. There were a zillion hetereogeneous small groups (who looked notably different) hanging out in the UK when the Romans arrived and started actually documenting things. They even commented that they all looked different!

The Celts are a Georgian/Victorian construction.

Yo don't say this like it's uncontested. Celtic is definitely a linguistic clade which was spoken by people from cultures traditionally associated with the 'Celts'. Now whether those people are genetically related or some kind of cultural agglomeration is a valid question but there's certainly some kind of reality to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The best part of the Assassination threats against Barack Obama wiki page is the huge poo poo-eating grin he's got in the picture they used.

Ctrl+F "Maggotmaster", no results found

What is this page even for.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Oberleutnant posted:

Do hunt saboteurs bother with pheasant shoots or do they only care about cute cuddly foxes.

I know this is from last page but hunt saboteurs will sabotage any format of hunting or bloodsport. Foxes, hare, mink, otters, badgers, pheasants, angling - anything. There are just different methods for different things, not all forms of hunting or culling require a bunch of saboteurs running after the hunt blowing horns.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

OvineYeast posted:

Yo don't say this like it's uncontested. Celtic is definitely a linguistic clade which was spoken by people from cultures traditionally associated with the 'Celts'. Now whether those people are genetically related or some kind of cultural agglomeration is a valid question but there's certainly some kind of reality to them.

If you think about it everyone is American now!

It's fine to use 'Celtic' to refer to language or artistic styles, but it's way too big a leap to read a common identity even into a common material culture. SurrealityCheck is exactly right on the historical context here: the Romans referred to people in Britain as 'Britons', not Celts, and the latter seems to have been applied in an etic context only.

And the 'genetically related' stuff gets very close to culture-historical archaeology, which is hugely popular with racist nationalists and the Nazis in particular. It's fine too to posit a contemporary 'Celtic' identity based on Irish/Welsh/Scottish nationality but these are far from unbroken genetic chains stretching into the past.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Sounds like someone has not heard of the concept of taqiyya.

Sounds tacky.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Not So Fast posted:

Yeah this, come on Internet!

The death ray one is really special though, worth having just for that.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Kegluneq posted:

If you think about it everyone is American now!

It's fine to use 'Celtic' to refer to language or artistic styles, but it's way too big a leap to read a common identity even into a common material culture. SurrealityCheck is exactly right on the historical context here: the Romans referred to people in Britain as 'Britons', not Celts, and the latter seems to have been applied in an etic context only.

And the 'genetically related' stuff gets very close to culture-historical archaeology, which is hugely popular with racist nationalists and the Nazis in particular. It's fine too to posit a contemporary 'Celtic' identity based on Irish/Welsh/Scottish nationality but these are far from unbroken genetic chains stretching into the past.

Well that last bit is kind of my point - genetics and culture are only tenuously associated anyway, and so it doesn't make sense to demand that people groups have e.g. similar appearances to count as 'real'. What I'm trying to say is that I think that 'Celtic' can be a meaningful classification without sharing genetics, or even a shared identity, without being an 'invention' of the Victorians. But I get the impression we're more or less on the same page there.

e: for full disclosure, I'm a linguist and tend to put undue emphasis on linguistic commonalities.

OvineYeast fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 1, 2015

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

OvineYeast posted:

Well that last bit is kind of my point - genetics and culture are only tenuously associated anyway, and so it doesn't make sense to demand that people groups have e.g. similar appearances to count as 'real'. What I'm trying to say is that I think that 'Celtic' can be a meaningful classification without sharing genetics, or even a shared identity, without being an 'invention' of the Victorians. But I get the impression we're more or less on the same page there.

e: for full disclosure, I'm a linguist and tend to put undue emphasis on linguistic commonalities.

Yeah, linguistic commonalities are pretty much the only way you can talk about 'Celts' in Britain. Iron Age (and earlier) trade and travel around Europe accounts for much of the shared material culture, religious practices and so forth.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

forkboy84 posted:

Ah yes, the notoriously bourgeois act of commuting to work. The 3 hours a day I spent on the bus getting to & from my last job were truly the moment I got to take partial ownership of the means of production. :dong:

Some of us have to read things with more practical application, like history books and Spanish for beginners.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In my experience people mostly seem to read the Metro on the way in and fiction on the way back.

Even the wankiest post left anarcho-voluntaryist newsletter beats the Metro.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

In my experience people mostly seem to read the Metro on the way in and fiction on the way back.

Tautological much?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
dropping churchill quote

"Study history, study history. In history lies all the secrets of statecraft."

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The Saurus posted:

dropping churchill quote

"Study history, study history. In history lies all the secrets of statecraft."

I prefer 'I propose that 100,000 degenerate Britons should be forcibly sterilized and others put in labour camps to halt the decline of the British race.' personally.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Here's another Churchill quote: 'dur blur I'm an incompetent wife beater, smell my farts.'

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Not So Fast posted:

Posters of legend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

I prefer 'I propose that 100,000 degenerate Britons should be forcibly sterilized and others put in labour camps to halt the decline of the British race.' personally.
same

I like that John Burke tried to make an authoritative list. Saves some time.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Oberleutnant posted:

the descendents of those people are modern tory voters like that lady on question time. doesn't look so silly now does it?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

namesake posted:

Here's another Churchill quote: 'dur blur I'm an incompetent wife beater, smell my farts.'

"kurds eh? gas the blighters"

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why can't Murdoch die? Why is Iain M Banks dead but he isn't. I don't understand anything. I cry.

Wait Iain M Banks is dead? :(

Edit: wait he died two years ago. Don't know how I missed that he was one of the only 3 scifi authors I like.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 1, 2015

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Seriously though, history books are great - history is pretty much the study of human nature throughout history and it definitely has way way more practical and theoretical application than whatever anarchist wankfest you're reading.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

il_cornuto posted:

Wait Iain M Banks is dead? :(

2 years ago.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Important revelations about Jeremy Corbyn:

Kezia Dugdale posted:

I’ve noticed no notable odour. It’s not the smell I’ve been struck by but that he gives great cuddles – we’re at the cuddling stage now, we advanced to that at date number three. He’s great, a very affable, principled gentlemen and he’s great fun to spend time with.

He was thrilled about the tax credits policy. I told him about it just before the speech, he really liked it, I got another cuddle.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I need some advice from you sage types, a friend of mine crashed their car avoiding a deer in the road and their insurance is claiming they can't pay out because it's an act of god. I was fairly certain that collisions with wild animals were covered if you're fully comp and would have thought this was essentially the same. Have they caught themselves in a loophole by not actually hitting the deer or should they be arguing the toss here?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

OvineYeast posted:

For sure. I'm more rejecting the conventional cluster of what people regard Celtishness as (think of emphasis on small dark-haired people from wales - there is a strong ethnic component, and a concomitant belief that they arrived at the same time as a mass) - which was forced upon it retrospectively and has (mostly) been found wanting. I am not making the argument that there is nothing there at all (especially linguistically!).

Even within the "Celtic" artistic style, for example, there is a lot of diversity and a fair chunk of it being now hived off to other areas or attributed to other influences etc.

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 1, 2015

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Saurus posted:

Seriously though, history books are great - history is pretty much the study of human nature throughout history and it definitely has way way more practical and theoretical application than whatever anarchist wankfest you're reading.

You're Karl Marx and I claim my five pounds.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ0gz_BC3bA

She has 100% lost the edinburgh vote with that stance on salt and sauce.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I need some advice from you sage types, a friend of mine crashed their car avoiding a deer in the road and their insurance is claiming they can't pay out because it's an act of god. I was fairly certain that collisions with wild animals were covered if you're fully comp and would have thought this was essentially the same. Have they caught themselves in a loophole by not actually hitting the deer or should they be arguing the toss here?

It might be a different insurers different rule thing. My friend hit two deer in two weeks and the second one hosed the car (apparently if you're going to hit a deer do it at 60 rather than 30) and the insurance paid to get it fixed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pilchenstein posted:

Nope, accident is an accident. They should treat it as if your friend had simply lost control of the car and pay up while shafting their no claims.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Further to that, if any insurance company tries to claim act of god, check your policy documents. They have to specify EXACTLY what they mean by law, and its extremely unlikely animal collision will be on there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Saurus posted:

Holy poo poo, read a book on history? THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE NEVER CONSIDERED BEFORE! I thought books on political theory were literally the only things allowed to be printed.

Jesus loving Christ you are stupid.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Holy poo poo, read a book on history? THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE NEVER CONSIDERED BEFORE! I thought books on political theory were literally the only things allowed to be printed.

Jesus loving Christ you are stupid.

I bring 5 bags of crisps on every train ride and study them intently.

My crispertise knows no bounds...

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

serious gaylord posted:

Nope, accident is an accident. They should treat it as if your friend had simply lost control of the car and pay up while shafting their no claims.
That's what I thought, what higher power's name do you invoke to put the shits up an insurance company?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

forkboy84 posted:

Enjoy your pointless wankfest you bourgie twat.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pilchenstein posted:

Depends entirely on the fineprint no-one ever reads and you need a library and/or legal advisors to decrypt, but they should kick up a right stink regardless and hope for the best, insurers can be reet pricks and it's almost impossible to hold them to account.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

The Saurus posted:

Enjoy your pointless wankfest you bourgie twat.

Says the bourgie twat.

Is this the ironic thing to do now?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Banter

https://twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/660861430758002688

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

I think that both this and the time a MOTD presenter said a defender got raped is harmless and funny bants.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Further to that, if any insurance company tries to claim act of god, check your policy documents. They have to specify EXACTLY what they mean by law, and its extremely unlikely animal collision will be on there.
Absolutely this, the truth will lie in the documents. Never trust an insurer's "sorry, you're not covered" dismissals, I work for a wholesale broker and we've closed books with insurers with business models that boil down to telling every claimant they're not covered and hoping they won't read their documents.

I do home and commercial property insurance rather than car insurance, but standard practice on this side of the industry is to cover you for everything and then remove or restrict cover with endorsements. If the documents don't specifically say you're not covered for accidents caused by animals, you're covered.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I like how these people got enough guts to make rape jokes to the police.

https://twitter.com/FalkirkPolice/status/655797636222623748?lang=en-gb

Now this is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pilchenstein posted:

That's what I thought, what higher power's name do you invoke to put the shits up an insurance company?

Just read the documents, if its specifically not there as an exception to the rule, get them so send a lovely letter pointing that out. If they still try to reject the claim, to the financial ombudsman you go.

• Locked thread