Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

BOOBIEs

Seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

scuz posted:

Welp, my dad's been a very nice guy to me for a long time, so when he asked if I wanted to take his Passat W8 wagon project off his hands I couldn't help but say "sure!" The way I see it, I'm doing him and my step-mom a favor by getting it out of their driveway. Pretty sure I'm not doing myself any favors, though, we'll see. Goal is to get the CEL to turn itself the gently caress off and stick that bugger on craigslist and hope for some bites.
I dont mean to insist I know your dad better than you but are you sure hes ok with you selling it?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I saw the company I interviewed with yesterday doing an emergency aerial repair today. The thought of having my own truck to take home, a company laptop and phone as well as my own fusion splicer and OTDR is pretty appetizing. These dudes mean business. The back of the lead splicer's van is basically an office. He ran flex tube from the passenger side vent to a fan so it can blow hot/cold air into the back. He had a desk with everything you need set up back there, including a printer/scanner with an air card. It was more impressive than my old company's fiber trailer, and this is all in the back of a Ford E van.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

BOOBIEs

And how!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

scuz posted:

Welp, my dad's been a very nice guy to me for a long time, so when he asked if I wanted to take his Passat W8 wagon project off his hands I couldn't help but say "sure!" The way I see it, I'm doing him and my step-mom a favor by getting it out of their driveway. Pretty sure I'm not doing myself any favors, though, we'll see. Goal is to get the CEL to turn itself the gently caress off and stick that bugger on craigslist and hope for some bites.

Is it a manual? Those are pretty rare and some VW nerd will definitely buy it.

Good luck with the engine light though, lol

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

I dont mean to insist I know your dad better than you but are you sure hes ok with you selling it?
Yep, that's the whole idea. He doesn't have time to keep loving around with it, but his intention all along was to fix and sell.

Fart Pipe posted:

Is it a manual? Those are pretty rare and some VW nerd will definitely buy it.

Good luck with the engine light though, lol
Thankfully (?) it's the automatic. The CEL is lit now because of a climate control sensor that's apparently buried under the driver's seat. It's possible that the wires need to be redone, but we'll see. Once it arrives at the house I'll start a thread and you can all take this awful journey with me!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to presents. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

That looks like a Twisted Metal character portrait.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

A W8 Passat sounds loving insane. I drove by an MK4 Golf R32 today and practically jizzed my pants, and I don't even really like VW.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

I highly recommend not getting hit by a car.

gently caress I'm sore today. Cop, unsurprisingly, is completely unhelpful. Wouldn't give me even a cursory run down of what will be in his report, and only my insurance will even get to see it.

But he's also not done with it, so yay.

You weren't in a car, so good loving luck.
Mine was on video and the cop was still completely ignorant of the law.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

What do you guys recommend for a reasonably priced dash cam? I'd like it to be USB so I can plug it into the hardwire setup I have planned. I bought a poo poo load of low profile magnetic Scosche mounts for my Galaxy S6 and Nexus 7 for my car and work van so I's be using that for the cam as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
we have a thread for them but the mobius with a super cap seems to be the way to go right now

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'm loving craving spam, eggs and rice right now. Mix in some hash browns too. Top with hot sauce and ketchup.

We're having loving steak tonight and I'm craving spam. Jesus.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I AM DOWNLOADING WIN10 TO INSTALL ON MY SSD

YEEEAHH THINGS ARE LOOKIN UP

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

iwentdoodie posted:

There's an analogy about women in there somewhere.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What do you guys recommend for a reasonably priced dash cam? I'd like it to be USB so I can plug it into the hardwire setup I have planned. I bought a poo poo load of low profile magnetic Scosche mounts for my Galaxy S6 and Nexus 7 for my car and work van so I's be using that for the cam as well.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_67201.html this thing works pretty well. I just bought a Garmin Dash Cam 20 for $99US with a now-expired sale to see if it's any good, too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm loving craving spam, eggs and rice right now. Mix in some hash browns too. Top with hot sauce and ketchup.

This post is hawaiian/samoan as gently caress

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a G1W-C in my Beetle, but I really like the A-118-C I bought and put in the bus. It is a cleaner install, and you can spend $15 and get the GPS module to add GPS datalogging to it. So, for the same $100 of the G1W-C you get a cam with the same sensor, plus GPS. Plus it looks a little less derpy installed.

Camera:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SK8B47W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

GPS module:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NG1P88Y/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

For the camera I had to do a little research to not buy a clone, but for the GPS module I would shop around for the lowest price of the moment.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tusen Takk posted:

This post is hawaiian/samoan as gently caress

More Chamorro. Living on Guam for three years does strange things to your appetite.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

More Chamorro. Living on Guam for three years does strange things to your appetite.

Either way, I feel like spam is a huge part of pacific islander diet and whenever i'm out of meat i go grab some and make spam fried rice :3:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Any of you guys know anything about newer lawn mowers (motorized push-style)? My dad's 25-year old commercial Honda finally died and a new motor is gonna run about $500. The rest of it is in tolerable shape; overall a solid hunk of metal - it has a few issues but mowed just fine until it seized up the other day. Dad's considering if it's worth dropping a little extra and getting a new one. He asked me, and I really have no idea.

He'd like something of similar commercial build-quality in the $700 and under range. If anyone has any thoughts I'd be keen to hear 'em!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

We have Spam, Spam, Spam, Bacon, eggs and Spam

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I started like 5 hrs ago and am just mildly buzzed. gently caress this poo poo.

On the other hand the iced apple cider drink from Dunks is an awesome chaser for Fireball.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We have Spam, Spam, Spam, Bacon, eggs and Spam

Have you got anything without Spam?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I started like 5 hrs ago and am just mildly buzzed. gently caress this poo poo.

On the other hand the iced apple cider drink from Dunks is an awesome chaser for Fireball.

strongbow + fireball is really good

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My girl is doing crazy RNA homework next to me meanwhile I am black out drunk like an rear end in a top hat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

T1g4h posted:

Have you got anything without Spam?

Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

BOOBIEs

This post is tits.

I may be picking up a second job as a riding instructor. :derp:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
God dammit CSB that is just too easy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

This post is tits.

I may be picking up a second job as a riding instructor. :derp:

I hope you don't hammer their rear ends to much!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They won't survive it

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Any of you guys know anything about newer lawn mowers (motorized push-style)? My dad's 25-year old commercial Honda finally died and a new motor is gonna run about $500. The rest of it is in tolerable shape; overall a solid hunk of metal - it has a few issues but mowed just fine until it seized up the other day. Dad's considering if it's worth dropping a little extra and getting a new one. He asked me, and I really have no idea.

He'd like something of similar commercial build-quality in the $700 and under range. If anyone has any thoughts I'd be keen to hear 'em!

Aluminum deck Toro super recycler, I'd pay the extra couple hundred for the Honda engine over the B&S - my dad has one with the B&S engine and while it's been covered under warranty he's had to have it serviced twice in as many years of owning it.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm trying to explain to my girl that any white painter is either on meth, heroin, crack or a combo of the 3.

Ha! Had the exact same discussion with a guy earlier today. No whites on job sites.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Forgot to pay my phone bill last night, so my phone was off when I woke up. Got it paid, called Geico, and they said they were finding their policyholder 100% at fault. :neckbeard:

That was without the video - she said their firewall apparently blocked access to youtube, but the witness gave a statement in my favor, and the claims adjuster went out to look at the intersection herself this morning, and also found the marks on the road where I hit the brakes.

Car gets appraised tomorrow, and they've arranged for a "standard" rental from Enterprise, which appears to be "Volkswagon Jetta or similar" (I figured "standard" would be a midsize instead of a compact, silly me). Surprised they didn't try to put me into an economy car though, at least this time I'm getting something comparable to my car (the last insurance loaner I had was a poverty spec Ford Contour). Just looked up the base Jetta, it's got pretty much the same features as mine, minus the sunroof (and missing almost 30 horsepower).

Just talked to CarMax about it, since if it does get written off, I know I'll be upside down. I do have gap insurance, but they said if I wanted to buy it back (on the assumption it gets written off), gap insurance would not pay out, and I would have to come up with the remaining balance. So I'd be better off just letting go of it.

I highly doubt it will be written off over a bumper cover and tweaked radiator support, but it's been something that's been bugging me.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hopefully the Saturn survives, that thing has been good to you. But just in case it is written off...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Forgot to pay my phone bill last night, so my phone was off when I woke up. Got it paid, called Geico, and they said they were finding their policyholder 100% at fault. :neckbeard:

That was without the video - she said their firewall apparently blocked access to youtube, but the witness gave a statement in my favor, and the claims adjuster went out to look at the intersection herself this morning, and also found the marks on the road where I hit the brakes.

Car gets appraised tomorrow, and they've arranged for a "standard" rental from Enterprise, which appears to be "Volkswagon Jetta or similar" (I figured "standard" would be a midsize instead of a compact, silly me). Surprised they didn't try to put me into an economy car though, at least this time I'm getting something comparable to my car (the last insurance loaner I had was a poverty spec Ford Contour). Just looked up the base Jetta, it's got pretty much the same features as mine, minus the sunroof (and missing almost 30 horsepower).

Just talked to CarMax about it, since if it does get written off, I know I'll be upside down. I do have gap insurance, but they said if I wanted to buy it back (on the assumption it gets written off), gap insurance would not pay out, and I would have to come up with the remaining balance. So I'd be better off just letting go of it.

I highly doubt it will be written off over a bumper cover and tweaked radiator support, but it's been something that's been bugging me.

luckily parts for our cars are a pain in the dick to find so it's definitely a possibility!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's three Ions sitting in a junkyard walking distance from my house. Two of them are coupes. :colbert:

I'd prefer it not be written off, more because I don't have a down payment for another car. Plus it has a lot of new poo poo on it (tires, thermostat, fuel pump, brakes, etc).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Geirskogul posted:

I have a G1W-C in my Beetle, but I really like the A-118-C I bought and put in the bus. It is a cleaner install, and you can spend $15 and get the GPS module to add GPS datalogging to it. So, for the same $100 of the G1W-C you get a cam with the same sensor, plus GPS. Plus it looks a little less derpy installed.

Camera:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SK8B47W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

GPS module:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NG1P88Y/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

For the camera I had to do a little research to not buy a clone, but for the GPS module I would shop around for the lowest price of the moment.

Did yours come with the Baggie of String?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 2, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Geoj posted:

Aluminum deck Toro super recycler, I'd pay the extra couple hundred for the Honda engine over the B&S - my dad has one with the B&S engine and while it's been covered under warranty he's had to have it serviced twice in as many years of owning it.

This. I am incredibly disappointed with the two home-depot special Honda mowers we have.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

There's three Ions sitting in a junkyard walking distance from my house. Two of them are coupes. :colbert:

I'd prefer it not be written off, more because I don't have a down payment for another car. Plus it has a lot of new poo poo on it (tires, thermostat, fuel pump, brakes, etc).

When my first Crown Vic got totaled it was right after I dumped a bunch of money into it. Tires, brakes, shocks, battery, etc and a completely new sound system installed. Luckily I found out where they had the car and the guys there let me take out all the audio poo poo i had installed maybe a month earlier. Four speakers, head unit and amp. Installed it all in the new Vic we replaced the totaled one with :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Is it bad that I want to spend $2k and fly to St. Louis to take my son here over a weekend? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5q6jHt4xUM

• Locked thread