Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Chimera-gui posted:

While I was out and about, I came across a Harley Quinn comic in which one of the stories apparently involved her trying to date Bruce Wayne though I did have enough time to read it.

Speaking of the animated series though, there was another tragic villain in it that gets overlooked quite a bit: Mary Louise Dahl. She was an actress who played a sitcom character named Baby-Doll until she left the show to become a serious dramatic actress after being upstaged by a new character on her own show. This went about as badly as you can imagine given that she had a condition that stopped her physical growth after age five meaning that she was an adult woman in a little girl's body. After a failed attempt to revive her show, she faded into obscurity.

Years later, she abducts the former cast of the show to try to relive the make-believe "life" she had as Baby-Doll as well as kill the one who upstaged her in the first place. Batman chases her into a funhouse hall of mirrors inside of which she has a breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtLTxBYZHw

Not so much a break down as a realisation. The episode had some interesting metacommentary on child celebrity, but the fact that, story wise, that was Baby-Dahl's purpose, and the second time she appeared was... Not so great. "Us freaks should stick together" combined with "King Croc and Baby-Dahl in abusive relationship where he's leading her on"? Nooooot the best combo. (EDIT: The first made me uncomfortable because it was well written. The second made me uncomfortable because everybody who was being terrible was being terrible for the sake of being terrible.")

Thing is, she is a great character, and a good writer could bring her back. But I don't really trust DC for that, and I definitely wouldn't trust Rocksteady/WB anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
The fact that Rocksteady steadfastly refuses to acknowledge Condiment King cements my theory that they hate fun camp.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Wasn't Condiment King under mindcontrol? Some Madhatter thing to make rich people lose their money since that's how asset forfeiture works.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
It was the mad hatter's tech, but it was the Joker doing it. You see, the Condiment King was a judge in a comedy contest, and the Joker was upset that last year he didn't win. So this year he decided to mind control the judges into being pathetic supervillains.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

That's not fair. He's shown up as a supervillain a few times in the comics. Y'know... before he was killed.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RIP Condiment King.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I guess he couldn't cut the mustard.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I guess he couldn't ketchup.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

He couldn't go toe to toe with the caper crusader.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

He really found himself in a pickle.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

That'll teach him to try and spice things up.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
He relished all those opportunities to fight Batman. He was never able to curry favor with other villains though. Alas. Soy long, Condiment King.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The proof was in the pudding.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It was so hard for him to ketchup.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

It was so hard for him to ketchup.

Don't rehash these jokes man!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I want to put the kaibash on these puns, but lettuce continue on this path.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
You guys are so loving cheesy.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I guess his time ran out.

E: oops, wrong King.

PASS THE MASH fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 9, 2016

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I mustard missed something, what were we talking about?

johnfw50 posted:

I guess his time ran out.

I feel obligated to mention this is spelled "thyme".

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Edit: Ninja'd

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Thyme is a spice. Not a condiment. It doesn't even go on burgers. This is stupid. Everyone ruined it. Stop the puns now. It's over.

You know who a silly villain is? Calendar Man. He's very silly.

BgRdMchne posted:

My favorite character is Bat-Mite.

This guy gets it.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 9, 2016

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

My favorite character is Bat-Mite.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

You know who a silly villain is? Calendar Man. He's very silly.

Except in the Arkham universe. He gets surprisingly scary. Still, he has one of the best City Stories in Knight.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

kalonZombie posted:

Thyme is a spice. Not a condiment. It doesn't even go on burgers. This is stupid. Everyone ruined it. Stop the puns now. It's over.

Yah we butter stop. We don't want to jam up kalons thread with these half baked puns.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
But we were on a roll. Now you're just going to leave us to stew?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This past conversation only confirms what I've been saying for the longest time: Condiment King is the best villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnaHXjJAHrA

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Emissary666 posted:

Except in the Arkham universe. He gets surprisingly scary. Still, he has one of the best City Stories in Knight.

That's actually straight form Long Halloween, which is pretty good. The followups not so much, but still readable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

kalonZombie posted:

Spices are condiments, thyme makes burgers taste great. :colbert:

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013
I bet the Clock King would make the trains run on thyme.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So I was sick and then I forgot to upload the episode until like an hour ago but here it is, finally.

Episode 4: It's A Trap ... Uncut ... Cut

(the cut version may still be processing the hd)

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Chlorine gas is green, actually. Up next, the fun goes to a new level.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The room with the Joker gas is kinda where this game started to lose me. The solution to the puzzle feels like it should be lethal for the thug--I mean, you're dropping him on his head from 20 feet up into a cloud of loving Joker gas, for crying out loud--yet it's hand-waved because obviously Batman doesn't kill anyone (this is far from the only thing the series hand-waves and it just gets more ridiculous as time goes on). I was actually stuck in there for a good 10-15 minutes because of that and it definitely soured my opinion of the experience.

I only played it for another seven or eight hours from this point before I gave up on it entirely and just returned the game. Haven't touched the series since. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge fan of Batman, but all that aside, the game just bored me.

Watched LPs of the rest of them. Asylum definitely has the strongest story in my opinion, and the rest of the series kind of just goes off the loving rails to the point I can't take it seriously at all.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
David Hayter wrote the script for X-Men and cowrote X-Men 2. No confirmation on Keifer Sutherland's involvement in X-Men 3.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
You get a unique game over if you let the inmate die from the gas.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 13, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like First Class was neglected in that discussion and that is just criminal.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like First Class was neglected in that discussion and that is just criminal.

MY FIRST CLASS HOT TAKE: It was good. Good movie. X-Men movie quality has vastly improved since Origins: Wolverine.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

kalonZombie posted:

MY FIRST CLASS HOT TAKE: It was good. Good movie. X-Men movie quality has vastly improved since Origins: Wolverine.

One would certainly hope so.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Days of future past was so good it made X3 not happen.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

X-Men was co-written by David Hayter, who came on late in that script's life. X-Men 2 was entirely written by Hayter and no X-Men movie that I know of that came after involved him in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Great Joe posted:

X-Men was co-written by David Hayter, who came on late in that script's life. X-Men 2 was entirely written by Hayter and no X-Men movie that I know of that came after involved him in any way.

Thanks for clarifying. Wikipedia has a lot to answer for.

• Locked thread