Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This game was great until some guy on my team dropped a tank on us and then drove the tank directly into lava and we all died and he said "sorry, cat" in chat.

That's when it got REALLY great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Thread convinced me, time to aggressively defend the poo poo out of democracy!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Can you farm bosses in this or no? I've just been filtering to hard games to find boss fights for quickish xp.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Boss fights need to be unlocked with 50 influence but if you are consistently winning then you're gonna get way more than that anyway.

If you want to maximize XP, though, you should get used to high speed low drag bullshit on high level missions. A Hell Dive mission can be completed solo or two man without a ton of fuss if you have decent situational awareness, a lot of distractor beacons, and a cardio accelerator. The only fly in the ointment there is if there's an arena battle on the planet, but that can be avoided by going down to level 11 or 10, or simply going to another front.

That said, playing this way is super boring if it's all you do, so don't do that. Get your metal gear democracy kicks once ever couple of days or whatever and then spend the rest of your time blowing crap up with friends.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FrancoFish posted:

This game was great until some guy on my team dropped a tank on us and then drove the tank directly into lava and we all died and he said "sorry, cat" in chat.

That's when it got REALLY great. :allears:

That's the thing that gets me about this game, dying horribly is never frustrating or rage-inducing. In fact, it's usually really god damned funny.

I'd hate to be a perfectionist trying to play this game though, hooo fuckin nellie

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah I died yesterday without taking a single step. Mission started, I spawned, my helldiver crawled out of the hellpod, and then Kirenski's pod from his initial spawn flattened me a second later.

My reaction was a chagrined smile and "Well, THAT just happened."

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is the Justice AR worth taking over the default AR? I use the default most of the time save for the few times where there's a black box mission then I go SMG. Which SMG is the best overall option? I have all the DLC.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

That's the thing that gets me about this game, dying horribly is never frustrating or rage-inducing. In fact, it's usually really god damned funny.

I'd hate to be a perfectionist trying to play this game though, hooo fuckin nellie

I tried that once for exactly one third of a dive. I was calling out patrols and ordering tactics, and we were really functioning like a well-oiled machine. And then one of my friends killed herself with her own supply drop. This game is amazing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The one minor problem I've had with this game is the vehicles.

You know how in real life you're supposed to wait for the vehicle to come to a complete stop before leaving your seat? Same thing in Helldivers, except if you get out too quickly, you'll get run over and killed. It makes using vehicles slightly more awkward than is reasonable.

It can be hilarious though. I was running a solo snow planet mission, and I brought a motorcycle with me since I didn't have the all-terrain boots at the time. I stopped to pick up a sample, but didn't wait for the bike to come to a complete stop and managed to run myself over!
Fortunately, I had an auto-backup that revived me... except the drop pod destroyed the bike. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Is the Justice AR worth taking over the default AR? I use the default most of the time save for the few times where there's a black box mission then I go SMG. Which SMG is the best overall option? I have all the DLC.
There really isn't a "best" weapon a lot of times, it all depends on what you demand out of your weapon. The Justice will be better for eliminating patrols, but worse when you get into a ruck because you're a lot more likely to waste ammo using it, and it doesn't carry as many mags. But you might still prefer it just because you're one of those ice blooded guys who keeps calm and picks his targets even when things get really hot.

The same is true of SMGs. They all carry the same critical flaw, which is that their range is asinine. Beyond that it's a question of what you like in your SMG most. The Defender is "gotta go fast". The Knight is "HURT THINGS NOW". The Ninja is "I really want an assault rifle but one handing is important to me."

The Tanto is the laser SMG and is good if you can handle the short range. It is very reliable and will only run out of ammo due to your carelessness. The last one handed option comes late (like rank 23 or some poo poo), but is immensely satisfying. The Double Freedom shotgun can be modded to be sawed off, which changes nothing about it except that it becomes one handed.

Really though the thing you are never getting around is that all SMGs have pathetic range and that hurts a lot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

E: double post

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

There really isn't a "best" weapon a lot of times, it all depends on what you demand out of your weapon. The Justice will be better for eliminating patrols, but worse when you get into a ruck because you're a lot more likely to waste ammo using it, and it doesn't carry as many mags. But you might still prefer it just because you're one of those ice blooded guys who keeps calm and picks his targets even when things get really hot.

The same is true of SMGs. They all carry the same critical flaw, which is that their range is asinine. Beyond that it's a question of what you like in your SMG most. The Defender is "gotta go fast". The Knight is "HURT THINGS NOW". The Ninja is "I really want an assault rifle but one handing is important to me."

The Tanto is the laser SMG and is good if you can handle the short range. It is very reliable and will only run out of ammo due to your carelessness. The last one handed option comes late (like rank 23 or some poo poo), but is immensely satisfying. The Double Freedom shotgun can be modded to be sawed off, which changes nothing about it except that it becomes one handed.

Really though the thing you are never getting around is that all SMGs have pathetic range and that hurts a lot.

I like using the AR just cause it seems like a decent all rounder weapon. The Justice seems like an upgrade, but it apparently has lower ammo than the default.

Maybe I won't bother with the SMGs, then. Is it worth upgrading the default pistol? I use it fairly often and it seems decent, but that may be because I'm not playing at the higher difficulties.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The final burst fire upgrade is a matter of taste (i like it, some don't) but beyond that there is really no reason to not upgrade your Peacemaker with the other two upgrades. You will see a lot of it unless you are a big fan of the pistol replacement perks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I fuckin' love the breaker shotgun for taking out scouts. Any time I try out a new weapon I just think "well, this is alright, but my shotty is better."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm a sucker for the Sickle. It doesn't have the burst damage capability that some weapons do, but it has plenty of damage to kill nerds and not requiring ammo is a real delight.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Coolguye posted:

The thing about Helldivers is that it's really easy to get 0-damage glancing hits against every faction unless you do just that. If you do manage to keep calm you'll find yourself doing more damage, faster, with less ammo. And the Justice is a standard 6/12 magazine assault rifle. Sure it carries fewer bullets, but it has more damage per mag even before you factor in what unstoppable rounds do to the equation.

Ryuga Death posted:

I like using the AR just cause it seems like a decent all rounder weapon. The Justice seems like an upgrade, but it apparently has lower ammo than the default.

Maybe I won't bother with the SMGs, then. Is it worth upgrading the default pistol? I use it fairly often and it seems decent, but that may be because I'm not playing at the higher difficulties.

The Justice has less ammo than the Liberator, but more damage per mag. Once you get the unstoppable upgrade it has absurd damage potential. You can reasonably kill entire cyborg patrols with 6 shots once you upgrade your Justice. Only the Breaker can match that, but it doesn't have the ammo reserves or the ability to support your teammates the Justice does.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Only the bugs really have a ton of glancing damage zones, spray and pray tactics are still valuable against the other races. Especially agains Cyborgs, who love to drop a ton of very dangerous chaff to support their big bastards.

I'm much more of a pick your targets and go guy, but I've dropped with a number of goons who are far more indiscriminate and they survive a number of situations that I would've died in.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheBlandName posted:

The thing about Helldivers is that it's really easy to get 0-damage glancing hits against every faction unless you do just that. If you do manage to keep calm you'll find yourself doing more damage, faster, with less ammo. And the Justice is a standard 6/12 magazine assault rifle. Sure it carries fewer bullets, but it has more damage per mag even before you factor in what unstoppable rounds do to the equation.

The Justice has less ammo than the Liberator, but more damage per mag. Once you get the unstoppable upgrade it has absurd damage potential. You can reasonably kill entire cyborg patrols with 6 shots once you upgrade your Justice. Only the Breaker can match that, but it doesn't have the ammo reserves or the ability to support your teammates the Justice does.

That's good to hear. I always aim first and shoot later. I sometimes forget I can just fire without needing to aim, much to my detriment.

On the topic of support, what are good support strategms to take? I like taking the UAV or Distractor beacon depending on the mission. I always take the ammo supply as well, but it's the other two slots I usually switch up on depending on the planet and missions. Sometimes I'll take guard dog, eats, or the turret minigun. I've never bothered with any of the airstrike strategms, are they any good?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I've been using the LMG from the Demolition DLC pack, which I really love because of the range and absurd ammo capacity. Even though I have a tendency to go full retard with it, I still have to resupply less than my friend who uses the SMG. Is that just because the LMG comes with a fuckload of ammo, or does my friend just suck?

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
This isn't crossbuy PC / Playstation unless it somehow is and I paid for it twice... but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah I took that from the old OP who I believe was talking about ps4/vita. I will update it when I get home.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

On the topic of support, what are good support strategms to take? I like taking the UAV or Distractor beacon depending on the mission. I always take the ammo supply as well, but it's the other two slots I usually switch up on depending on the planet and missions. Sometimes I'll take guard dog, eats, or the turret minigun. I've never bothered with any of the airstrike strategms, are they any good?

I pretty much play career support for my group and my loadout is Ammo Resupply, EAT-17/Railgun Strike, UAV, and Distraction Beacon.

Strafing run is hilarious if you like having a stratagem with a 6 second cooldown with Stratagem Priority. Not super useful though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've found that the SMG, while short rane, is super loving zippy and quick to aim, and really easy to be precise with. I don't end with the most kills usually, but by far the highest accuracy, and I'm able to get angles and shots that my team can't make with the heavier weapons. I'm basically the anti-dog role.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Ryuga Death posted:

On the topic of support, what are good support strategms to take?
If by "support" you mean "more utility than just killmans", it's mostly just area denial. Area denial is pretty clear-cut: Barbed Wire and Stasis Field for safer plays with mop-up time, AT Mines for hilariously deadly fields on a quick cooldown, Napalm Strike for nigh-impassable, near-permanent walls, and UAV to make sure you aren't wasting any of the previous.

Shoutouts to Tesla Turret, Thunderer Barrage, Close Air Support, and Strafing Run for providing crowd-thinning and soft denial, and many of my favourite friendly fire clips.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I basically can't play well with any primary other than one of the shotguns, but so far I only have the first one unlocked. Are the later ones any better in different situations? (I know the last one upgrades into a one handed sawed-off which sounds :stwoon: as gently caress)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So.

I run the game at 800x600 and it sometimes gets a bit slow in arenas. As a result, I am not a very valuable asset in them! Life is hard. One game I took to throwing my one brought in strafing run but by the time it got brought in whatever I threw it at was long gone and, in a few cases, the team had wandered over there. Because I threw that poo poo like ten seconds ago c'mon orb.

Current theory is to just bring like three strafing runs and constantly fart them out whatever corners we aren't in and be the heal bitch whenever I find the heal-gun, but anyone got ~~~pro tips~~~ for doing extermination arenas without firing my gun? (Mostly difficult to aim at ~20 FPS then anything else.)

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Only the bugs really have a ton of glancing damage zones, spray and pray tactics are still valuable against the other races. Especially agains Cyborgs, who love to drop a ton of very dangerous chaff to support their big bastards.

I'm much more of a pick your targets and go guy, but I've dropped with a number of goons who are far more indiscriminate and they survive a number of situations that I would've died in.

Illuminate Striders (their mass infantry), Cyborg Patrol Leaders, Comrades, Berserkers, and Butchers all have significant abilty to force glancing hits. Cyborg Grotesques have no armor at all, but each can eat a lot of damage for their size if you're not shooting through the head for the critical damage bonus. Illuminate chair dudes also have a lot of glancing zones that reduces the effectiveness of full auto firing, but nobody is going to be spraying wildly into a group of them.

Beet Wagon posted:

I've been using the LMG from the Demolition DLC pack, which I really love because of the range and absurd ammo capacity. Even though I have a tendency to go full retard with it, I still have to resupply less than my friend who uses the SMG. Is that just because the LMG comes with a fuckload of ammo, or does my friend just suck?

The answer depends a lot on which SMG your friend is using, but I believe that regardless of how fast your SMG user is using their ammo the LMG will contain more damage per ammo pack. Well, assuming no glancing blows. Since the LMG is more accurate in a single long burst per target instead of several short bursts there's always a bunch of spread you can't correct for.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

Illuminate Striders (their mass infantry), Cyborg Patrol Leaders, Comrades, Berserkers, and Butchers all have significant abilty to force glancing hits. Cyborg Grotesques have no armor at all, but each can eat a lot of damage for their size if you're not shooting through the head for the critical damage bonus.

This is very misleading

Like okay sure it's not technically wrong and yes sure you shouldn't be laying on the trigger with basically any weapon that is not an LMG but sharp auto bursts into any of the above enemies are going to work way better in terms of killing the other guy before he kills you than waiting for precision shots

Critical damage is good and all and sure you should go for it whenever possible but it's only a crucial mechanic against bugs. Beyond that if someone wants to get nuts on some nerds it's quite good and quite viable to take a quick firing weapon and go to town, especially if that weapon loads AP ammo like many fast firing weapons can

Really my point is let's not pretend this game is a huge twitch skill wank, it really isn't and the majority of options available are more than good enough to use, the rest is to your taste.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Green Dam posted:

I pretty much play career support for my group and my loadout is Ammo Resupply, EAT-17/Railgun Strike, UAV, and Distraction Beacon.

Strafing run is hilarious if you like having a stratagem with a 6 second cooldown with Stratagem Priority. Not super useful though.

That seems like a really good loadout, I'll go with that. My EAT is fully upgraded and it's a lot of fun to use. When is a good time to deploy the eats?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gamerofthegame posted:

So.

I run the game at 800x600 and it sometimes gets a bit slow in arenas. As a result, I am not a very valuable asset in them! Life is hard. One game I took to throwing my one brought in strafing run but by the time it got brought in whatever I threw it at was long gone and, in a few cases, the team had wandered over there. Because I threw that poo poo like ten seconds ago c'mon orb.

Current theory is to just bring like three strafing runs and constantly fart them out whatever corners we aren't in and be the heal bitch whenever I find the heal-gun, but anyone got ~~~pro tips~~~ for doing extermination arenas without firing my gun? (Mostly difficult to aim at ~20 FPS then anything else.)

If the game is chugging that badly on your computer you'd probably be better off just not playing

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FrancoFish posted:

I've found that the SMG, while short rane, is super loving zippy and quick to aim, and really easy to be precise with. I don't end with the most kills usually, but by far the highest accuracy, and I'm able to get angles and shots that my team can't make with the heavier weapons. I'm basically the anti-dog role.

Allegedly the Ninja SMG attracts less attention from patrols, which can be useful if you're trying to be stealthy.

Ciaphas posted:

I basically can't play well with any primary other than one of the shotguns, but so far I only have the first one unlocked. Are the later ones any better in different situations? (I know the last one upgrades into a one handed sawed-off which sounds :stwoon: as gently caress)

The Breaker, which is the first one you unlock, is quite fantastic thanks to the Unstoppable rounds.

I've fallen in love with the Punisher, the second shotgun you unlock. It's a bit quirky: It has a 4-round magazine (up to 8 rounds when upgraded) with an ammo reserve of 36 (72 max) shells. Each reload action only reloads a single shell. This takes some getting used to, and can be quite deadly if you have to reload in the middle of a firefight. Good luck balancing between reloading another shot and spreading democracy to an incoming enemy!

However, it excels at taking out scouts, especially those Illuminate floating-eyeball-cameras. It's essentially a sniper-shotgun, especially once you take the Extended Barrel upgrade that reduces shot spread. It rewards taking your time and aiming: If you miss the first shot against a scout, it will probably have enough time to raise the alarm thanks to the Punisher's low fire rate. On the other hand, a single well-placed shot can take out a shielded Illuminate Tripod.
If it has Unstoppable rounds, the Punisher would easily be my favorite weapon in the game, but it would also be broken as hell.

Basically, the Breaker is great at clearing crowds, while the Punisher should be used to snipe single enemies. I don't have the Double Freedom unlocked yet, unfortunately.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Debating whether the pack of all DLCs is worth it or just grabbing a few that I'd like. Are there any that are widely considered just not very good/fun? I can see that "oh this one has a revolver" etc but I don't know what slot these things go in or how they'll really work in practice.

I know the ranger pack is the only one considered essential but some of the other ones like the vehicles and the LMG look fun.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Debating whether the pack of all DLCs is worth it or just grabbing a few that I'd like. Are there any that are widely considered just not very good/fun? I can see that "oh this one has a revolver" etc but I don't know what slot these things go in or how they'll really work in practice.

I know the ranger pack is the only one considered essential but some of the other ones like the vehicles and the LMG look fun.

FWIW I'm enjoying the Demolitionist one for the LMG. I don't know if the satchel charges are worth it though. Oh and the medic one has a pretty dope healing drone.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Besides the Ranger pack, I strongly recommend the All-Terrain pack for the boots. They make snowy planets bearable.
The Support pack gives you the Sickle, the laser machine gun, which is a top tear weapon.
The Every other DLC pack is fun and interesting.

The pistol pack is in an odd place because the strategem slot is incredibly useful, but the guns themselves aren't bad.

If you think you're going to pick up all the DLC eventually, you might as well just buy the big pack. None of the DLCs are bad or useless, but some of them are more niche than others.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I really like the different sidearms but never use them because you have to use your perk slot on them. :(

Coolguye posted:

Nah the default AR is pretty much supplanted by the Justice once you get it. Their handling characteristics are pretty much identical (they're both pick your target style weapons) but the Justice trades a slightly smaller mag for higher damage and rounds that penetrate. If you want to spray you use the Patriot which is very good at that (greater RoF, bigger magazine, superior full auto spread), and the Justice as better at spraying than the Liberator anyway (both their full-auto spreads are pretty bad but the Justice will do more damage on the rounds that do hit). The Liberator, in theory, is supposed to be an inbetween of the Justice and Patriot but in practice it really just plays out like a worse Justice, which is a shame because I'd like to use it more.

TheBlandName posted:

They're not actually 0-damage FYI, just reduced damage, though that's when the Justice's higher damage comes in handy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I really like the different sidearms but never use them because you have to use your perk slot on them. :(
This is seriously my problem with the pistols pack. I like a lot of the things that they're doing with it, just not enough to forego my beloved cardio accelerator or all terrain boots.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
What are the recommended perks? I assume it depends on the planet/mission. I like the boots, autoinjector, and cardio. Never tried the ones that lower strategm cooldown or reduced call in time by 1 second.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

That seems like a really good loadout, I'll go with that. My EAT is fully upgraded and it's a lot of fun to use. When is a good time to deploy the eats?

I deploy them right after we land, since you can just reuse them and having two on hand right away if/when the first alert goes out. Saves a lot of time and your second set of EAT-17s will be on hand already if you really need more than two of them.

Edit: Railgun Strike is also really good if you don't like to micromanage stuff. Kills tanks and all that in one hit.

dioxazine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 5, 2016

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Insert name here posted:

They're not actually 0-damage FYI, just reduced damage, though that's when the Justice's higher damage comes in handy.

No, glancing hits really are 0 damage. The in-game tactical guide says they deal no damage. And testing showed they did either no damage or so little damage the difference is academic. I fired all 7 starting magazines of a stock Liberator into a bug Warrior while it was plinking away at an HAV. It survived all 211 shots. Okay, probably 10-20 of those were total misses between inching my shots closer at the start and recoil as I got impatient at the end. Actually shooting to kill warriors? Took 7 shots at the most, mostly between 5 and 6. The only time I managed critical damage on every hit I killed one in 4. Blue sparks means you are dealing zero or effectively zero damage.

Coolguye posted:

This is very misleading

It's literally the first entry in the in-game help. "...Always aim at the center of an enemy... . Enemy armor might deflect shots entirely if hit at a poor angle. ... Remember the boot camp motto, 'every single round counts'."

Yes, you can get by without this knowledge. Helldivers is balanced in part around people playing the game on a Vita, which is not a precision shooting platform. But I'm not mentioning some arcane secrets. I'm quoting the book at people to combat misinformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

It's literally the first entry in the in-game help. "...Always aim at the center of an enemy... . Enemy armor might deflect shots entirely if hit at a poor angle. ... Remember the boot camp motto, 'every single round counts'."

Yes, you can get by without this knowledge. Helldivers is balanced in part around people playing the game on a Vita, which is not a precision shooting platform. But I'm not mentioning some arcane secrets. I'm quoting the book at people to combat misinformation.

There's a difference between aiming at the center (which you should do) and always taking precision shots (which is situational).

You're using stuff saying you should do the first to say you should always do the second, which is what I'm saying is misleading. Burst fire weapons have a very good place controlling chaff. The general proof of this is shotguns. Even a non-upgraded Breaker will drop a lot of glancing hits and still kill many, many things. Sharp bursts from an automatic rifle will do the same thing, at a longer range.

Also, you're confusing glancing hits with hitting armor. Hitting armor will do 0 damage, and you use a bug warrior in your example, which we've already established is the race with the most armor rolling around.

You're talking about 'combatting misinformation' (looooooooooooooooool, chill out) but you're the one producing most of it. This game is challenging but it's not complicated. Stop making it complicated.

• Locked thread