Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I remember going sword less mystic knight, just perfect countering all day.

I think mystic archer doesn't get enough recognition. Creating a miniature sun at night, raining homing arrows on my foes was aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nasgate posted:

I think mystic archer doesn't get enough recognition. Creating a miniature sun at night, raining homing arrows on my foes was aces.

The Op posted:

They also possess some of the most overpowered abilities in the game.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

I remember going sword less mystic knight, just perfect countering all day.

Mystic Archer is like the assassin pre-Dark Arisen dude, everyone's in agreement it's OP as gently caress in BBI. The only downsides to the MA is it's stat growths and not being top dog vs the Ur-dragon, and I guess being less then ideal vs Metal Golems.

That said I think Mystic Knights is going to be the new flavor, canons without the slowdown are going to be amazing.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
All I want out of the PC version is to get the Beserk armor, and do a mod where you speed up the 2H weapon speed to silly levels.

Guts all day errday.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Mystic Archer is like the assassin pre-Dark Arisen dude, everyone's in agreement it's OP as gently caress in BBI. The only downsides to the MA is it's stat growths and not being top dog vs the Ur-dragon, and I guess being less then ideal vs Metal Golems.

That said I think Mystic Knights is going to be the new flavor, canons without the slowdown are going to be amazing.

Yeah, Magick Archer's stat growths are hot garbage. That said, so is Mystic Knight's. In fact, Mystic Knight's might even be worse--it gets more HP, but the same amount of Strength and Magick, and less Magick Defense.

Magick Archer is very, very strong, but getting to that point is a pain if you don't also love playing Sorcerer and (to a lesser degree) Assassin/Ranger, depending on what kind of MA you're building towards. But the same is just as true of Mystic Knight. On the bright side, that means you can pretty reliably switch between MK and MA all you like if you're building for one or the other, which is kind of nice. And if you're leaving yourself some wiggle room to actually play as one of them during your leveling process (as I am, because I'm a min-maxer but not to the point of sacrificing fun), you can kind of level them interchangeably.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 11, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Claverjoe posted:

All I want out of the PC version is to get the Beserk armor, and do a mod where you speed up the 2H weapon speed to silly levels.

Guts all day errday.

Is the berserk stuff in the PC version? I never got far enough in the console version

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the FAQ they say it was removed due to licensing issues, but people speculate that it will still be in the game files and they won't have bothered to strip it out.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Is the berserk stuff in the PC version? I never got far enough in the console version
No there was licensing issues.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shoehead posted:

It is not. Licensing issues.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'd buy the DLC if they decided to push it out though. I also hope any potential sequel goes more Berserk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm just crazy excited that they really are considering a sequel, apparently, and that DDO is not the sequel they're talking about. Another proper Dragon's Dogma would be so good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I am seriously dreading the possibility that this E3 Capcom will announce Dragon's Dogma 2 programmed by Platinum and Directed by Kentaru Miura as I'd likely just die.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Reddit claims the berserk stuff is availible in console commands/game files so while not available in game, expect day 1 mods/cheat tables.

On the subject of stat growths if the game does develop a decent mod scene/is easy to cheat engine ignore all I said about stat growths and play the game however you like.

Edit: On the subject of sequels that'd be great. Apparently Capcoms deal with Nintendo and Monster Hunter ran it's course aswell ending in 2016. Even if it'd just be Tri, I'd buy it a third time damnit. Much like I have with DD

Illuminated Rodent fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 11, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Where are the pig tossing and cow climbing gifs, the new PC generation needs to see the true strengths of DD.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't imagine it will be hard to cheat engine star values, which will be great if it happens because I don't really want to care about that.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Reddit claims the berserk stuff is availible in console commands/game files so while not available in game, expect day 1 mods/cheat tables.

On the subject of stat growths if the game does develop a decent mod scene/is easy to cheat engine ignore all I said about stat growths and play the game however you like.

Edit: On the subject of sequels that'd be great. Apparently Capcoms deal with Nintendo and Monster Hunter ran it's course aswell ending in 2016. Even if it'd just be Tri, I'd buy it a third time damnit. Much like I have with DD

You are the wind beneath my wings. Super speed 2H Guts death god, coming right up. :black101:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Where are the pig tossing and cow climbing gifs, the new PC generation needs to see the true strengths of DD.

I looked but couldn't find any. If you can provide I'll post 'em. Eventually I'll get around to making some since I'll be recording my playthrough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I am seriously dreading the possibility that this E3 Capcom will announce Dragon's Dogma 2 programmed by Platinum and Directed by Kentaru Miura as I'd likely just die.

If anything would give me a heart attack, that'd do it.

Mr E posted:

I can't imagine it will be hard to cheat engine star values, which will be great if it happens because I don't really want to care about that.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too proud to take advantage of that either. I wonder if I could just cheat engine/mod Mystic Knight and Magick Archer to have stat growths that basically just make them end up as solid balanced builds so I can just hop back and forth between those two with occasional detours for useful Warrior and Sorcerer augments.

That said, I'm not too broken up about the leveling path I've planned out. I'm going to be spending most of my time hopping between Fighter, Ranger, Assassin, Mystic Knight, and Sorcerer, and I like all those classes. The variety will probably be nice.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Is there any reason to pre-order this or am I better off waiting for a sale so I dont need to deal with all the bugs this will probably have at release?

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
If Capcom ends up caring about cheating/modding at all there's only two areas I could see end up being an issue, online Ur-Dragon kills that took seconds and pawns with crazy stats. Using the character builder it should be trivial to rebuild your character with legit stat distribution, and I'm not sure how or why Capcom would/could care about that.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

Iretep posted:

Is there any reason to pre-order this or am I better off waiting for a sale so I dont need to deal with all the bugs this will probably have at release?

It's pretty cheap on GMG and you get the artbook/kickass soundtrack? It's not a Bethesda game and the Dark Arisen part of the game already dealt with bugs/needed features years ago, so I wouldn't worry about "all the bugs". The only bug I remember Dark Arisen having was the Inflection augment making you take more damage instead of less.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If we do get a sequel, I hope it helps them develop more on the original vision for Dragon's Dogma.

Mostly, I want to be able to go to the moon in the sequel, like it was originally planned. I want to fight moon goblins. I want it so bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iretep posted:

I wouldn't expect there to be any bugs. The console releases were stable and only suffered performance issues and that issue has definitely been fixed if all the preview footage from Youtubers is any indication.

If Capcom ends up caring about cheating/modding at all there's only two areas I could see end up being an issue, online Ur-Dragon kills that took seconds and pawns with crazy stats. Using the character builder it should be trivial to rebuild your character with legit stat distribution, and I'm not sure how or why Capcom would/could care about that.

The community manager on steam says that they don't care what people do in regards to modding, just that there's no official support for it. So I'd be surprised if they care about hacking stuff either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bet we never get a Dragon's Dogma sequel. Far more likely to just get Dragon's Dogma Online ported over here, although I would rather Deep Down finally be finished.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Infinity Gaia posted:

If we do get a sequel, I hope it helps them develop more on the original vision for Dragon's Dogma.

Mostly, I want to be able to go to the moon in the sequel, like it was originally planned. I want to fight moon goblins. I want it so bad.

Arisen, The moon has lower gravity than Gransys, jump to attack the Space Harpies.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Space Harriers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dexo posted:

Arisen, The moon has lower gravity than Gransys, jump to attack the Space Harpies.

the item that required catching the harpies and hoping they flew in the right direction is bullshit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I bet we never get a Dragon's Dogma sequel. Far more likely to just get Dragon's Dogma Online ported over here, although I would rather Deep Down finally be finished.

I remain optimistic, given that PC Gamer interview where the director said they were going to gauge interest in a sequel based on Dragon's Dogma PC sales (and didn't seem to be talking about DDO for that).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Magick Archer's stat growths are hot garbage. That said, so is Mystic Knight's. In fact, Mystic Knight's might even be worse--it gets more HP, but the same amount of Strength and Magick, and less Magick Defense.
MK stat growth is actually "perfect" for most of it's skill. Not too far off for MA, for that matter.

This idea was born out of gear being less important in vanilla DD, and general knee-jerk reaction to the action game format which made defensive stats seem less important.

But then you really dig into the mechanics behind things like the MK skills, and the MK growths are actually "best" for the class. Most MK skills don't give a single crap about your character's base STR; they're only concerned with your weapon STR stat, if they ever are. Additionally, these skills tend to factor BASE Magick at a rate double weapon str/magick, so you do want higher magick growth than str, rather than necessarily equal. Similarly, the big gently caress off unique MK spells basically depend on you being right in the middle of things. Sure, you could just evade and recast the spell, but that's being ignorant. Tank the hit and dealing damage sooner is an increase in DPS.

There is something to said about MA, and most everyone agrees, they are "bad", but MA skills are otherwise so good, it simply doesn't matter. The exception I would say is immolation, but I would just consider that a bonus for someone who played Warrior for 90 levels only to finally conclude it wasn't their "thing".

They're mostly just balanced stat growths, so yeah, you'll end up with 1/3rd as must STR compared to an assassin, but that really doesn't seem like such a big deal when you're looking at weapons with ~2000 attack power. Especially when you'll also take like half as much damage as an assassin which means face rolling your way to victory, and generally killing things similarly quickly for lack of concern about your safety.

The min-maxing basically died with Vanilla because the gear scaled upward, but maximum character statistics remained constant. Relative power primarily comes from gear these days. When it comes to actually GETTING to that gear, you're just as well leveling as your intended class, since they largely give you all the stats you really need to play that class effectively through the progression.

Counting Wizard
Jan 9, 2016

by Cowcaster

I just hope Capcom finally puts Monster Hunter on a console with a proper controller. For gently caress's sake, that game was designed for two analogue sticks and it hasn't been on a system that possessed such a controller since the PS2.

I think what I liked most about Dragon's Dogma was that overworld journeys like from the starting town to the king's city felt like epic adventures like crossing the mountains were in The Hobbit. That, and exploring dungeons or lairs felt like you were actually exploring a dungeon or lair.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Im_Special posted:

Steam Group for Dragon's Dogma, it should make life easier seeing who's online, and where all those random friend invites are coming from later down the road. Can even put in a Google spreadsheet for characters there and mark it as private viewing, if we do something like that.

Just post in here or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite.

Oh, and showing off why Dragon's Dogma has the most perfect character creator.

Invite this Arisen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

The min-maxing basically died with Vanilla because the gear scaled upward, but maximum character statistics remained constant. Relative power primarily comes from gear these days. When it comes to actually GETTING to that gear, you're just as well leveling as your intended class, since they largely give you all the stats you really need to play that class effectively through the progression.

The difficulty I have with that is Stamina, to be honest--gear doesn't help with that. It's why I plan on spending so many levels as a Ranger. Sure, I could just pause constantly to chow down on Mushroom Potages and Staminal Drenches, but the less I have to pause, the better. Neither MK nor MA get very much Stamina compared to Assassin, Ranger, and Strider, though they do much better than Fighter and Warrior.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Harrow posted:

but the less I have to pause, the better

This doesn't refute your main point but you can hotkey items so you can use them with your number keys outside of the pause menu now

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Dragon's Dogma is one of my alltime fav games, and I never even got to play the Dark Arisen content.

This last week of waiting is going to be the worst.

Also, please autoban any poster who turns off pawn chatter.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Steam Group for Dragon's Dogma, it should make life easier seeing who's online, and where all those random friend invites are coming from later down the road. Can even put in a Google spreadsheet for characters there and mark it as private viewing, if we do something like that.

Just post in here or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite.

Oh, and showing off why Dragon's Dogma has the most perfect character creator.

Need invite as well http://steamcommunity.com/id/kojicolnair/

Can't wait for this, haven't played it before but looks like my kind of game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

This doesn't refute your main point but you can hotkey items so you can use them with your number keys outside of the pause menu now

I might try playing with mouse + keyboard just for this.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Yeah, being able to toggle your lantern without having to re-enter the menu each time will be a godsend. And I might actually use those Winter's Spear / Fulgurus Tome / other elemental books if I can just hit a button.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

If this is your first time playing:

that said here is the super balanced min/max build:
http://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#af0000001b3f0000000000010000174c000000

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basic questions about the game:
-Is encumbrance that much of an issue?
-Is there a combo list for basic attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I just play whatever I need augments from until I have those augments and then magick archer forever. This has never failed me.