Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Pony
Oct 7, 2005

THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH

JediTalentAgent posted:

A Cloverfield Christmas: A family is videotaping a somber Christmas morning with their kids who are too young to understand what is going on with the monster and the adults are trying put on one last great and perfect holiday memory for their children before the end of the world. Visiting relatives start coming in as it progresses and the kids remain oblivious; there are hints that something really horrific is approaching by nightfall, but it might not be the monster.

Would watch the gently caress out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can't wait for Clover to join the Godzilla cinematic universe along King Kong and the others.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can't wait for Clover to join the Godzilla cinematic universe along King Kong and the others.

I was thikning Cloverfield could have been the first Kaiju to show up in the Pacific Rim universe.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Let's petition to have the Cloverfield monster added to the League of Extraordinary gentlemen reboot.

He could wear Mr. Hyde's giant top-hat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll throw this up again I guess.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/...universe-750536

quote:

“The story of this movie – and it came to us originally as a spec that was very different in a lot of ways and an unrelated thing altogether – is definitely about different kinds of monsters,” he says. “And while the Cloverfield monster isn’t in this movie, there’s a new monster and there’s something else that happens… but I don’t want to ruin the ending.”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm like 95% certain that The Monster is going to be humanity or something stupid.

Also, the subReddit dedicated to the 10CL ARG just fell apart. It's at the climactic moment of the ARG where it starts meaning something, and two of the players were just given a phone number and a set of coordinates.

The users that received them are keeping them secret so that they don't get "flooded with people" ah ha ha ha ha :laugh:

"Don't worry guys we will post everything we learn though"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm like 95% certain that The Monster is going to be humanity or something stupid.

The real monster will be unconstrained campaign financing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I hope its an intensely personal drama that just happens to be taking place near where Godzilla hunted the MUTOs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goddamnit. Clover needs work you assholes!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

oldpainless posted:

I hope its an intensely personal drama that just happens to be taking place near where Godzilla hunted the MUTOs

I'm pretty sure this is what the movie is except not Godzilla

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol. The director did an AMA and confirmed that the "Cloverfield universe" is a universe and not a timeline. People asked what the heck he meant, and he said it's like how every Twilight Zone sketch takes place in the same universe (Rod Serling's room), but not the same timeline (the last-man-on-earth with glasses could never meet the gremlin-on-the-wing guy).

Also confirming that the Cloverfield monster does not appear in the movie and its rampage of NYC is not mentioned or alluded to.

Ha........

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/49ivkx/i_am_dan_trachtenberg_director_of_10_cloverfield/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, good thing the movie looks interesting regardless.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm fine with this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol. The director did an AMA and confirmed that the "Cloverfield universe" is a universe and not a timeline. People asked what the heck he meant, and he said it's like how every Twilight Zone sketch takes place in the same universe (Rod Serling's room), but not the same timeline (the last-man-on-earth with glasses could never meet the gremlin-on-the-wing guy).

Also confirming that the Cloverfield monster does not appear in the movie and its rampage of NYC is not mentioned or alluded to.

Ha........

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/49ivkx/i_am_dan_trachtenberg_director_of_10_cloverfield/
Welp :(

CelticPredator posted:

Well, good thing the movie looks interesting regardless.
Yeah, I'm still excited for it. It could have a completely different title (and it might as well if there aren't any real ties to the original Cloverfield) and I'd still be excited for it based on the trailers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Cloverfield monster deserves success!

Looks like I'm about to finish my long over due ending to my Cloverfield monster story...

Basically ends like :smithicide:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There has to be a little bit more connective tissue than just the name, I mean Twilight Zone had Rod in each episode.

What I am saying is the Cloverfield Monster is going to introduce this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So it's a cash in is what you're saying

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There might still be like some strong thematic ties or some poo poo that makes it seem like its not but yeah they probably just attached the name to this to get in making that sweet sweet cash.

But that is OK, it looks like a good movie still and I could see them saying "well this looks like its good, nobody will probably watch it though which is a shame, oh throw this name on it"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The fact that it's not another Cinematic Universe is frankly refreshing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So it's a cash in is what you're saying

Basically. Why see a Cloverfield movie unless you're going to see Clover?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dunno, I am all for doing franchises that are just connected by theme instead of a shared universe or whatever. Like that might actually be a way to help movies that wouldn't be made now cause studios are focusing on the big blockbuster everything is connected movie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
But they should have tried to clue people in on this way earlier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The idea of a thematic connection is neat but Cloverfield is so identified by the monster rather than the themes that billing itself with the Cloverfield name is just gonna set expectations that can't be met.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean I think there's roughly a zero percent chance this won't be better than the original Cloverfield but then I thought the original sucked and so far the only two things we know about the movie - it's not found footage and it has John Goodman - are steps in the right direction

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ImpAtom posted:

The idea of a thematic connection is neat but Cloverfield is so identified by the monster rather than the themes that billing itself with the Cloverfield name is just gonna set expectations that can't be met.

Yeah, really this.

What exactly are the themes of Cloverfield that could be carried over to a movie like this anyways? Fear of something just out of sight? ARGs that were completely dropped? Shakycam motion sickness? We don't know enough it to really assign it much of a theme.

This is now a 'maybe when it's on netflix or something' movie.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

counterfeitsaint posted:

What exactly are the themes of Cloverfield that could be carried over to a movie like this anyways? Fear of something just out of sight? ARGs that were completely dropped? Shakycam motion sickness? We don't know enough it to really assign it much of a theme.

"Monsters come in many forms" is the theme/tag line of the movie.

Hint: man is the monster in this one. I hope a hackneyed metaphor will do, and that you weren't expecting a 1,000 foot tall, literal alien monster.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
No longer seeing it in theaters out of spite. If they hadn't marketed it as connected to Cloverfield , I definitely would have went because it does look like an interesting film outside of its cash grab title.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tomahawk posted:

No longer seeing it in theaters out of spite. If they hadn't marketed it as connected to Cloverfield , I definitely would have went because it does look like an interesting film outside of its cash grab title.

Same. I'm at least not seeing it until I know there ties - or lack thereof - to the first movie, because gently caress this annoying purposely confusing marketing.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

every Twilight Zone sketch takes place in the same universe (Rod Serling's room)
Hahaha, how could I forget "Rod Serling's room"? The one that appeared in every episode!

Are they thinking of Night Gallery?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish the cloverfield monster had been that big whale monster concept

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Im gonna go see it as a double date this weekend. Basically, the only way It can live up to any hype is if all the trailers are the first 20 minutes and the remainder of the film is her running away from horrible monsters on the surface, i.e. Lisa Simpson on Monster Island

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Monsters come in many forms" is the theme/tag line of the movie.

Hint: man is the monster in this one. I hope a hackneyed metaphor will do, and that you weren't expecting a 1,000 foot tall, literal alien monster.

You understand that the phrase 'man is the real monster' implies the existence of an unreal monster against which man is compared, right?

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
Hey guys, I'm pleased to announce my new film 26 Godzilla Avenue. It's the thrilling story of a group of strangers who find themselves trapped in an elevator during an earthquake.

What, you're upset that there's no Godzilla in it, and no monster of any kind? Well, I never said it was a Godzilla sequel, you moron! The two are obviously connected because they're both thrilling and scary! See, we're building a new universe of Godzilla films which are totally unrelated but are connected by being thrilling and scary, because how would you know the story is thrilling and scary otherwise?

Hope you enjoy the film!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
All you dopes are why Halloween III wasn't recognized for its genius.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does Jar Jar Abrams have anything to do with this film? I've got to admit I would be impressed if this recent info is a straight up lie and this is actually a Cloverfield sequel, a la Into "Khan is not in this movie" Darkness.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If there's no 1000 foot tall lizard, nor giant fleas, this is just a man-in-a-bottle movie. Or something. And by something, I mean, something that's not anything like Cloverfield.

And this:

wyoming posted:

All you dopes are why Halloween III wasn't recognized for its genius.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's cool that Halloween III is weird and different but like, it's not actually a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The monster is probably HIV

• Locked thread