Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Hey OP, glad to hear you're doing better. I have a recommendation! The outdoors is pretty good for depression in my opinion. Just go out in nature and enjoy it and possibly smoke some weed. Unless you live in the southwest. Then, uh, move away from the southwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
did they make you strip naked so they could spray you with a fire hose?
did anybody throw de-lousing powder on you?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
thank you all for the supportive comments. it really is meaningful to me, so seriously, thank you.

Shinjobi posted:

Glad you're still alive, OP, but I question your choice to "bounce back" here. But hey, whatever. Cheers.:cheers:

I have to say that i've purposely stayed away from SA before for a few months or whatever and i can't say it provided me with much happiness. i just have to make sure that i moderate my time on forums.

A Stupid Baby posted:

This may run counter to advice your therapists have given you, but personally I would consider just cold stopping writing journal entries, especially if this has become a daily or more than daily thing. If you're constantly writing about how miserable you are it has a way of becoming a feedback loop rather than a release valve, but then I don't know what your entries are like so it might not be a problem for you.

i haven't journaled since being institutionalized but my entries leading up to the day i went in definitely weren't constructive. however, i think externalizing your problems in a journal can be really healthy, so i'll probably go back to it with a focus on healthy expression.

ThirdPartyView posted:

They do realize that it's non-binding since you lacked mental capacity to sign said form, right?

i'll have to review the law on that, but it doesn't matter anyway, i don't want a gun.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

OP are you actually Irish or did you just take your name from some dumb thing

if the former then why did they commit you just for being suicidal? I thought things aren't supposed to be considered symptomatic of illness if they are a cultural norm.

i have irish ancestry but i did take my name from some dumb thing.

frozenpeas posted:

OP, do you firmly belIeve that if life has taught you anything it's that we're all a little bit crazy?

i wouldn't say firmly. i feel like you're alluding to something that i don't get.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

OP two questions when I was on drugs one time I could not help but see the connections of everything onto everything else and it made me really upset. Also everytime i would think about doing something I would review all the terrible things that could happen ( ie driving my car i kept seeing myself getting in an accident ) was this like being crazy am i going to be crazy? thanks

symptoms that occur only while on drugs or alcohol usually aren't classified under mental illness. however, those things do resemble symptoms of mental illness. in many cases, drugs and alcohol can exacerbate an existing mental illness.

EAB posted:

Hey OP, glad to hear you're doing better. I have a recommendation! The outdoors is pretty good for depression in my opinion. Just go out in nature and enjoy it and possibly smoke some weed. Unless you live in the southwest. Then, uh, move away from the southwest.

i live in california and can't wait to get back to hiking :) weed doesn't play nicely with my illness though. i'm quitting.

City of Tampa posted:

did they make you strip naked so they could spray you with a fire hose?
did anybody throw de-lousing powder on you?

i wish.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

i have irish ancestry but i did take my name from some dumb thing.

don't you think trying to curb your self-destructive impulses is a disservice to your rich heritage of self-destruction

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The Irish also have a tradition of bombing innocent civilians. Imo you should dissociate yourself from them entirely.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
glad youre feeling better OP I hope things continue to get better for you (:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im going to a mental institution tomorrow... any tips for a first timer? so far i have packed: pajamas

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's the pussy game like in the madhouse? Cause American Horror Story had some fine rear end nympho sluts in it

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
we were just talking about you, op.

"where is Fergus Mac Roich? is he locked up somewhere AGAIN?"

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

dad gay. so what posted:

im going to a mental institution tomorrow... any tips for a first timer? so far i have packed: pajamas

you're a real jokester in my experience but i'll answer this seriously anyway. bring lots of clothes and several books. find out what the rules are on what you're allowed to have in the unit in advance, but in mine we weren't allowed to have headphones or anything like that. if you like to draw, you may be allowed to have pencils, markers, etc. make friends fast and stay positive. trust that the system you're in is there to help you and that it CAN help you; without that trust you can't get anywhere. always, always, always be respectful. see if you can get ear plugs. also see if they'll allow an eye mask for sleeping, because if you have roommates or staff going in and out of your room at night it can get pretty annoying.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What's the pussy game like in the madhouse? Cause American Horror Story had some fine rear end nympho sluts in it

you'd be disappointed.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
can i wear a cursed tribal mask?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

dad gay. so what posted:

can i wear a cursed tribal mask?

describe the curse.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

describe the curse.

sorrow +3

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i hope op plans on hunting down and killing that guy pomo who is raping that one woman's daughter

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.
I was sent to the nut house too back in 82 or so (yes, I'm old and decrepit). I think I was 14 or 15. After about 2 weeks, they told me I was fine and could leave. They also told me not to go home, because it was my mother and step-father who were the ones hosed in the head. They let my friend's dad sign me out. I should've listened to them about not going home....

In retrospect a good bit was funny. It was co-ed, some people had to wear restraints at night, you could buy cigarettes, but had to get a light from one of the workers, etc.

I think my mom's insurance only covered a short period of time..... hence "2 weeks are up, you're fine, your parents are hosed, just have a random adult other than your parents come pick you up... don't worry, though, you can go do whatever the gently caress you want as soon as you're out the door. Bye..."

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
did you fukc angelina jolie?

same q for jon voight

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i once went to rehab for a month when i was like 20 and it was at a facility that was half rehab / half mental ward. there was some slight intermingling but not too much. i brought my guitar and i had sex with a sweet young blonde girl who was totally insane. i also lost tv privileges for my group one night cause i disobeyed one of the workers and we were in a constant power struggle after that. i later had him executed.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

well... not to get too into this subject but most of the "pretty" suicide methods have high failure rates. helium exit bags are bullshit, for example. you could hang yourself, but even professional executioners hosed that up regularly back in the day, so you run the risk of a failed suicide.

but isn't this like most things, you figure the only ones complaining are the ones it didn't work out for

only more so in this case

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

dad gay. so what posted:

i once went to rehab for a month when i was like 20 and it was at a facility that was half rehab / half mental ward. there was some slight intermingling but not too much. i brought my guitar and i had sex with a sweet young blonde girl who was totally insane. i also lost tv privileges for my group one night cause i disobeyed one of the workers and we were in a constant power struggle after that. i later had him executed.

same

some old car parts
Aug 2, 2011

Makes me a very poor man
Hey OP, just popping in to say i've done the whole mental institution thing before too.
It really helped me get my poo poo sorted out and even though I am not in touch with those people anymore,
I got to know them in ways I barely ever reached with others.

Oh and protip, if at all managable without stay the gently caress away from benzos.
I have been through the addiction and withdrawal and the withdrawal honestly felt worse than the depression ever remotely did.

Good luck on the road to recovery though!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I worked at one of these places for a year and a half. Patients were mostly good people with bad illnesses. The really entertaining stories are about the 10 percent of way hosed up people though

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Op I'm glad you didn't kill yourself and are getting the help you need. Unironically

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

you're a real jokester in my experience but i'll answer this seriously anyway. bring lots of clothes and several books. find out what the rules are on what you're allowed to have in the unit in advance, but in mine we weren't allowed to have headphones or anything like that. if you like to draw, you may be allowed to have pencils, markers, etc. make friends fast and stay positive. trust that the system you're in is there to help you and that it CAN help you; without that trust you can't get anywhere. always, always, always be respectful. see if you can get ear plugs. also see if they'll allow an eye mask for sleeping, because if you have roommates or staff going in and out of your room at night it can get pretty annoying.

you'd be disappointed.

wow is a mental institution just people watching ipads all day w/no headphones on? taht must sound like hell.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Would you say you "get" FYAD?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

yes if you have schizophrenic symptoms, no if you have mood disorder symptoms.

mistetravn posted:

I was sent to the nut house too back in 82 or so (yes, I'm old and decrepit). I think I was 14 or 15. After about 2 weeks, they told me I was fine and could leave. They also told me not to go home, because it was my mother and step-father who were the ones hosed in the head. They let my friend's dad sign me out. I should've listened to them about not going home....

In retrospect a good bit was funny. It was co-ed, some people had to wear restraints at night, you could buy cigarettes, but had to get a light from one of the workers, etc.

I think my mom's insurance only covered a short period of time..... hence "2 weeks are up, you're fine, your parents are hosed, just have a random adult other than your parents come pick you up... don't worry, though, you can go do whatever the gently caress you want as soon as you're out the door. Bye..."

given how crude psychology and psychiatry still are, i can't imagine how things were back in the 80s. do you remember any details about how disorders were actually treated?

brylcreem posted:

did you fukc angelina jolie?

same q for jon voight

yes for jon voight but it was unrelated to this.

dad gay. so what posted:

if you're detoxing you can end up in the looney bin if you have what's called a dual diagnosis.

DrApple posted:

Hey OP, just popping in to say i've done the whole mental institution thing before too.
It really helped me get my poo poo sorted out and even though I am not in touch with those people anymore,
I got to know them in ways I barely ever reached with others.

Oh and protip, if at all managable without stay the gently caress away from benzos.
I have been through the addiction and withdrawal and the withdrawal honestly felt worse than the depression ever remotely did.

Good luck on the road to recovery though!

thanks! it sounds like we had similar experiences.

ChrisHansen posted:

I worked at one of these places for a year and a half. Patients were mostly good people with bad illnesses. The really entertaining stories are about the 10 percent of way hosed up people though

would you go back?

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

wow is a mental institution just people watching ipads all day w/no headphones on? taht must sound like hell.

someone told me they had an ipod, but i never saw them use it. you can't have a tablet or a phone or anything because cameras aren't allowed. there weren't even security cameras.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Would you say you "get" FYAD?

i used to read it and i really liked ingwit, wet butt, brendle, and some other posters. also dinosaur jerk is/was pretty funny but i mainly knew his posting via PHIZ when i used to post there.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Ork of Fiction posted:

But what if the people who got your organs developed a crippling internet addiction, ultimately culminating in suicide, then they donated their organs and it just spreads and spreads? There's been a lot of speculation about this kind of thing. I think it's like a category 3 incident? I'll have to check. I haven't been too good about keeping up with my preparedness drills.

That's sounds...really cool actually

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

That's sounds...really cool actually

28 day bater

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Phiz is like fyad with a double degree in poetry and ?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This is an interesting thread. Maybe I'll go into a mental institution instead of killing myself.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i hope op plans on hunting down and killing that guy pomo who is raping that one woman's daughter

Her daughter's being raped by postmodernism? Aren't we all?

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

What do mental patients do when they need to rub one out? My guess is in the shower.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Unironically glad you got help, OP. My ex was sent to a place like that after a failed suicide attempt with pills. Made a lot of friends, said it did her a lot of good.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
i think i might be crazy, like legit crazy. i hear people talking about me through the walls, and i work on a dairy farm, i hear voices sometimes from empty areas in the parlors.

one of the people is sort of famous. he says stuff like "he's smoking weed again" and i'm not. i think my mail is being opened, by pros. sometimes my bank statements will smell like perfume, and then i'll get a card from a friend and it will smell like the exact same perfume.

i think there's cameras and microphones and i want to move. what's a good way to bring this up in conversation because i just read that back and even i think i might be a total loon.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wizzle-Wazzle posted:

What do mental patients do when they need to rub one out? My guess is in the shower.

i didn't masturbate at all. the showers didn't lock so i think that would not be wise.

Gaunab posted:

This is an interesting thread. Maybe I'll go into a mental institution instead of killing myself.

i was in a place of 100%, absolute hopelessness when i was suicidal. i literally couldn't even see the value in being happy. i am very, very glad that i did not kill myself. if you are suicidal, please seek help right away. you can go to the nearest ER or call the police or the suicide prevention hotline. you can also pm me if you want to talk about anything. if you don't have pms we can arrange some other form of communication, though i'm at work right now so i'm a bit limited. it may be that being institutionalized is the right thing for you. i don't regret it one bit.

Harry in Rio posted:

i think i might be crazy, like legit crazy. i hear people talking about me through the walls, and i work on a dairy farm, i hear voices sometimes from empty areas in the parlors.

one of the people is sort of famous. he says stuff like "he's smoking weed again" and i'm not. i think my mail is being opened, by pros. sometimes my bank statements will smell like perfume, and then i'll get a card from a friend and it will smell like the exact same perfume.

i think there's cameras and microphones and i want to move. what's a good way to bring this up in conversation because i just read that back and even i think i might be a total loon.

if this is happening when you're sober, these sound like psychotic symptoms. please disregard the social stigma around words like "psychotic" or "psychosis", they are real medical terms that may apply to what you are experiencing. i would see a mental health professional for a diagnosis ASAP. people with these symptoms sometimes turn out to be schizophrenic, but not always. these symptoms can be treated.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That's good you got help OP. I had a friend call the cops on me when I was in high school cause I sounded really suicidal. They let me go home that night but I went to a therapist and did meds for awhile. It was a very helpful experience but embarrassing at the time cause my hs friends knew but wouldn't talk to me about it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Harry in Rio posted:

If you are hearing these things you should seek help.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't know, if famous people were talking poo poo about me smoking weed I'd kick their rear end.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

If you are hearing these things you should seek help.

poo poo checks out

Harry in Rio posted:

i'm a dairy goat farmer - estrous synchronization by using artificial light is great if you want to have milk all year round. you can stagger the kidding seasons instead of having a pile of loving goat kids all at one time.

if your goats all go into the 3rd trimester at the same time and your bulk tank is dry, don't call me up asking for 400 gallons of raw milk ok, because i'm not sharing (because you are stupid)

Harry in Rio posted:

my real doll is away for service and i've been reduced to jacking it like some sort of primate

Harry in Rio posted:

i've killed a lot of cows

i regret nothing

Harry in Rio posted:

the code word for the 3rd degree is tubalcain.

the grip is performed by placing your thumb on the knuckle of the middle finger of your masonic brother, with a sort of normal handshake, if you think someone uninitiated is looking, you can just cover the grip with your left hand . that's the only grip that matters. entered apprentices and fellow craft learning the catechism and preparing for degree work have a similar grip (it moves a half knuckle towards the middle finger knuckle hth), but different challenges and words.

gee you'd think if this was some giant secretive organization that they might've changed the passwords and stuff?

i eagerly await my assassins

Harry in Rio posted:

as a goat farmer i would say being a gay is very hard work.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Harry in Rio posted:

Also, if you have water on you, you might be wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i remember one girl who i really liked and was part of our "inner circle" tried to slit her wrists and then i just wanted to leave

e: i mean she did slit her wrists but i think she might have been trying to commit suicide, so i guess i meant "tried to commit suicide" sorry for the ocnfusion

• Locked thread