Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

God-Emperor only knows how they'll balance Necrons, since one Necron ship can wreck entire battle groups single handed.

Well, the Necrons also have the thing where they usually warp out rather than be destroyed. Since they already have the mechanics that ships may flee against your orders, they could have Necrons be particularly susceptible to that. So at the beginning of a battle they're punishingly powerful, but if the enemy manages to get in some serious damage the whole thing could quickly turn into a mass rout. A little like in the Total War games, where rather than trying to wear down the entire enemy army, you try to combine everything into one big thrust that pushes them past the breaking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Stalkerr posted:

Campaign
  • The devs are super 40k spergs

This is really adorable, not to mention assuring :allears:
It really is. :allears:
Seeing the presentation is making me hopeful that this is going to be a Good Game.

Sgt. Briar
Jun 28, 2014
so I might be a tad overoptimistic but this looks to be the best 40k game in a long time, or even ever??? i'm a huge sperg when it comes to 40k lore and poo poo so the level of detail put into this is just, drat. detail is fantastic, gameplay looks fantastic, hurry up MP beta. please.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Game looks loving cool.

I'm just a bit worried because everything else from the developer has been bad and they just abandon their games.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 8, 2016

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

Game looks loving cool.

I'm just a bit worried because everything else from the developer has been bad and they just abandon their games.

France has the largest, most active population of BFG tabletop players on the planet. I'm pretty sure there's a guaranteed reaction to a bad BFGA:

:commissar:

Plus these guys are crazy about the details. This is a passion project for them, and GW gave them the funding to do it right. I feel excited for a game's potential for the first time in awhile.

Granted, the last time was Star Citizen, but I took my mulligan and moved on. ;)

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 8, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

Game looks loving cool.

Far as I can tell, they've made only two other games. One's a straightforward RTS that seems to have been fairly mediocre but not outstandingly bad. The other one, Stellar Impact, has very lopsided Steam ratings because they're full of people buying a small multiplayer-only game from a small studio 3+ years after release, who are then shocked and appalled to find that the playerbase has moved on. Looking at reviews closer to the actual release it was apparently quite decent at the time.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 8, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Perestroika posted:

Far as I can tell, they've made only two other games. One's a straightforward RTS that seems to have been fairly mediocre but not outstandingly bad. The other one, Stellar Impact, has a very lopsided steam rating because they're full of people buying a small multiplayer-only game by a small studio 3+ years after release and are then shocked and appalled to find that the playerbase has moved on. Looking at reviews closer to the actual release it was apparently quite decent at the time.

Did Focus publish Stellar Impact? Because what I've seen from Wargame, they support their games well, so if they moved to Focus publishing, that's a good sign.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Any brave goons have preordered? Now that Warhammer: Total War release has been delayed, I'm on the fence about this, I'm a bit skeptical about preordering but my inner ork-child just want to get in and ram people.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Any brave goons have preordered? Now that Warhammer: Total War release has been delayed, I'm on the fence about this, I'm a bit skeptical about preordering but my inner ork-child just want to get in and ram people.

I preordered because I have a very serious problem. Can't you just preorder, futz about in the beta and then get a refund through steam if you're somehow not enjoying it?

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

I have pressed the button and done so. I feel pretty confident it's not a waste of money and I'll get $35 of enjoyment out of it, at least.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Angry Lobster posted:

I got it as a birthday present, and am hoping I'd be able to at least practice the skirmish against the AI, as my internet connection's spotty to say the least.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Far as I can tell, they've made only two other games. One's a straightforward RTS that seems to have been fairly mediocre but not outstandingly bad. The other one, Stellar Impact, has very lopsided Steam ratings because they're full of people buying a small multiplayer-only game from a small studio 3+ years after release, who are then shocked and appalled to find that the playerbase has moved on. Looking at reviews closer to the actual release it was apparently quite decent at the time.

Yeaa but apparently they promised to put bots in and didn't for the space game and the RTS game they made is incredibly crashy and unstable, and they never fixed it.

I've never played their other games and I'm probably going to preorder this on what I've seen but it's worth checking up on their previous stuff because it's a bit worrying :ohdear:

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hopefully GW's latent greed will push them to stick with it so they can sell lore-appropriate hats for your spaceboats.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Actually, most 40K special characters don't wear fancy hats. Everything else though is fair game:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Actually, I'm really curious about something. All the ships seen so far are the core rulebook ones. I wonder whether Eldar and Orks will have their ships from Armada as well.

Plus if they want DLC they have five or more fleets they could add.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Actually, I'm really curious about something. All the ships seen so far are the core rulebook ones. I wonder whether Eldar and Orks will have their ships from Armada as well.

Plus if they want DLC they have five or more fleets they could add.

From what we've seen so far, yes.

The PR on this game has been almost non-existent, which is odd. They did a big push between October and early February, and then as soon as the devs hit crunch time, nothing at all. We've only seen glimpses of the Ork and Eldar fleets, and no "Fleet Videos" like Imps and Chaos got.

I'm hoping this is because the devs are the one generating PR content which the publisher then posts, and not because all that's unfinished. If the devs essentially have to do PR on their own, that would explain the big PR gap during crunch before release.

Well, tomorrow will tell. My body is ready.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Tomorrow is the day when brave goon pioneers will have the first taste of this game. May they harvest lots of pubbie tears.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Tomorrow is the day when brave goon pioneers will have the first taste of this game. May they harvest lots of pubbie tears.

I think going heavy on boarding parties and ramming bonuses is the way to go.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Stalkerr posted:

Operation why did we give the torpedoes engines anyway may have to happen.

I may have to see what I can do about streaming.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I have never streamed, but I may do so for this.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has there been any mention of exactly when on Thursday evening they're gonna have the game up? Because I'm at GMT+8, and depending on what they mean by 'evening' the earliest I might only be able to play this would be early Friday morning (realistically, Friday evening my time).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

CommissarMega posted:

Has there been any mention of exactly when on Thursday evening they're gonna have the game up? Because I'm at GMT+8, and depending on what they mean by 'evening' I might only be able to play this early Friday morning.

No, only thursday evening is mentioned in their annoucement, so you'll probably have to wait until friday I'm afraid.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Stalkerr posted:

That's pretty much the main Ork tactic.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

This game looks really cool, and people have mentioned this already, but the scale seems to be a bit off. My understanding was the ships were meant to be thousands of km away from each other, basically sitting in the stem of the base in board game terms. That's why you could have entire asteroid belts/planets/nebula on the table. It seems they either misunderstood or ditched that, and went with the usual knife fight distances that other space games go for. Reminds me a bit of how Wargame handled naval battles. I realise they are silly fictional cathedral ships, but its more about the internal logic of the thing.

Always imagined more greebling too, to go along with the scale, rather than transposing the models 1:1.

Still, even if it's just like a 40k version of Nexus that would be pretty cool.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I guess it's for visual purposes- having them fight thousands of kloms apart and staying within scale would have meant that the ships would have been tiny, and aiming them for proper ramming actions would have been near-impossible for any non-AI ship. The close combat ranges they've shown just look better, I think.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hope someone streams some Eldar gameplay. We've seen almost nothing of them.

CommissarMega posted:

I guess it's for visual purposes- having them fight thousands of kloms apart and staying within scale would have meant that the ships would have been tiny, and aiming them for proper ramming actions would have been near-impossible for any non-AI ship. The close combat ranges they've shown just look better, I think.
Who knows, maybe the game'll be moddable.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

Who knows, maybe the game'll be moddable.

I actually asked the devs this over Facebook. There will be no mod tools at launch, but they want to add them later.

That being said, that doesn't mean some enterprising folks won't be able to figure it out themselves.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Alertrelic posted:

This game looks really cool, and people have mentioned this already, but the scale seems to be a bit off. My understanding was the ships were meant to be thousands of km away from each other, basically sitting in the stem of the base in board game terms. That's why you could have entire asteroid belts/planets/nebula on the table. It seems they either misunderstood or ditched that, and went with the usual knife fight distances that other space games go for. Reminds me a bit of how Wargame handled naval battles. I realise they are silly fictional cathedral ships, but its more about the internal logic of the thing.

Always imagined more greebling too, to go along with the scale, rather than transposing the models 1:1.

Still, even if it's just like a 40k version of Nexus that would be pretty cool.

The ships are on virtual 'stems' in this game, it is the same basic handwaving away that the table top does so that they can have a naval game in space with cool space ships that ram each other and fire broadsides.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
So with all this information out on this game, what's the co-op/ versus AI situation? Nonexistent? The campaign sounds awesome and The Imperium is cool but I'd like to do something long(Er) term with one of the other races without having to get curbstomped in multiplayer because I can't be assed to do things optimally and/or have a sick apm

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

2 SPOOKY posted:

So with all this information out on this game, what's the co-op/ versus AI situation? Nonexistent? The campaign sounds awesome and The Imperium is cool but I'd like to do something long(Er) term with one of the other races without having to get curbstomped in multiplayer because I can't be assed to do things optimally and/or have a sick apm

I'm sure there will be plenty of inept goons to
play spacemans against..

its me

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

The ships are on virtual 'stems' in this game, it is the same basic handwaving away that the table top does so that they can have a naval game in space with cool space ships that ram each other and fire broadsides.

no man, i wanna play spaceship game where i cant see my ships and dont get to do anything for ~~immersion~~ if my missiles don't take 2 weeks to get to the enemy i just don't really see the point.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

2 SPOOKY posted:

I asked the devs via Facebook. They are generally pretty responsive there.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
You sir are a saint.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I watched that video and the game looks awesome. One thing though, are the weapons on homeworld ships spread all over the spaceship so the ship can fire on a target at whatever angle without turning? 3d movement isn't a big deal but I'm wondering if the design of 40k's ships really would make it impractical

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

2 SPOOKY posted:

You sir are a saint.

"Hey, no plan for cooperative play in campaign for now. The first priority is to release the best possible campaign for the Imperium, it's too early to tackle additional campaigns. Cheers!"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I watched that video and the game looks awesome. One thing though, are the weapons on homeworld ships spread all over the spaceship so the ship can fire on a target at whatever angle without turning? 3d movement isn't a big deal but I'm wondering if the design of 40k's ships really would make it impractical

I guess if battles were really taking place over a very long distance you could easily rotate to face what you're firing at but i dunno if it would be practical. broadsides are just cool :)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
New announcement:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/363680/announcements/detail/842543190395438780

To sum it up:

-Beta starts between 7-9 pm CET.
-Only Chaos and Imperium available.
-There is a tutorial (campaign prologue) and offline skirmish against AI.
-No NDA.

Enjoy.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

hemale in pain posted:

I guess if battles were really taking place over a very long distance you could easily rotate to face what you're firing at but i dunno if it would be practical. broadsides are just cool :)

I am totally OK with them Rule of Cooling the whole system. Warhams as a concept is best not thought through too deeply

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

New announcement:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/363680/announcements/detail/842543190395438780

To sum it up:

-Beta starts between 7-9 pm CET.
-Only Chaos and Imperium available.
-There is a tutorial (campaign prologue) and offline skirmish against AI.
-No NDA.

Enjoy.

Aw, it's a bit of a shame that it only has Imperium and Chaos, I'd been looking forward to seeing the Xenos in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Aw, it's a bit of a shame that it only has Imperium and Chaos, I'd been looking forward to seeing the Xenos in action.

Have to say I'm a little concerned we're not seeing anything from Eldar and Orks. Hopefully they aren't rushing them.

• Locked thread