Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It would be interesting if there was some sort of "quiet combat' perk similar to the silent running one. I keep winning these great fights with a ton of loot and no health just to have someone overhear the combat and shoot me from a bush.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You totally can do exactly that though? Go on naked rampages I mean. There's a ton of youtube videos about it. Also it takes like, actual weeks for your dinos to starve and that's if you intentionally neglect them.

You need to house them, train them, take care of them, it's just not as lean and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You totally can do exactly that though? Go on naked rampages I mean. There's a ton of youtube videos about it. Also it takes like, actual weeks for your dinos to starve and that's if you intentionally neglect them.

I think the big thing is that in Ark someone who has been playing for ages will have tons of HP and other bonuses while a dude who's been playing rust for ages only has better gear that you can then steal from them.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Managed to get a double kill last night by planting a remote explosive on an airdrop station as one was coming in for a deposit. The guy who called it in went up to unload, someone came up to backstab him, and boom. It was a welcome reprieve from a night of failed Team connections due to some weird bug tied to the anti-cheat.

When this game goes well, it feels insanely good. When it goes poorly, it's the biggest bullshit in the world.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Ive found that setting off gas cannisters every time I see them can rack up a few effortless kills a match, its one thing to escape when you set it off but a lot of people just get caught off guard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ColHannibal posted:

Ive found that setting off gas cannisters every time I see them can rack up a few effortless kills a match, its one thing to escape when you set it off but a lot of people just get caught off guard.

There are certain ones where the gas are useless and others where it is 100% killer. The best I have found is the huge 4-story building with the round open parking lot, because windows don't open and your options become A: stay in the building and get gassed or B. Run up to the third floor, suicide jump off the top and break your legs, and still get gassed as you hobble away

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Had a game last night where I managed to get a revolver. I came across a guy who pulled an alarm gun on me so, feeling a little goofy, I decided to pull out my gun and unload almost the entire thing into him. A pointless waste of ammo but, eh, made me laugh.

Then my friend ran over to his corpse and told me that the guy hadn't pulled an alarm gun on me but had, in fact, pulled a rifle.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Actually grouped up with someone from Cullingoons chat today! Highlight of the day was trying to get the unlock for S.W.A.T. he knocked it onto an inaccessible ceiling. :)

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Had a game last night where I managed to get a revolver. I came across a guy who pulled an alarm gun on me so, feeling a little goofy, I decided to pull out my gun and unload almost the entire thing into him. A pointless waste of ammo but, eh, made me laugh.

Then my friend ran over to his corpse and told me that the guy hadn't pulled an alarm gun on me but had, in fact, pulled a rifle.

I have the opposite problem. They pull out the rifle I freak and run then get hit... and it's the alarm gun.

I love knowing you're about to die, so pulling out dynamite and lighting it. They kill you and go boom. I once got lucky and it was near a gas cannister inside a bigger building on the second floor. So that went off, but sadly he got away with a sliver of health left. Almost had the 100 to 0 kill while I was dead.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is there a safe way to give an impact grenade to a teammate?

Also, I experienced my first "Culmination covered in punji sticks" last night and I am not a fan.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

PantsOptional posted:

Is there a safe way to give an impact grenade to a teammate?

You should be able to drop them with 'x' without them going off anymore. You should always use x to drop items for your teammate, sometimes throwing items will render them unusable, which I've noticed most often with the man tracker.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sometimes if my teammate is already dead and I know I'm going to die I'll back off long enough to chuck all my items as far as I can in random directions.

Because if you're killing me then gently caress you. YOU GET NOTHING!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Sometimes if my teammate is already dead and I know I'm going to die I'll back off long enough to chuck all my items as far as I can in random directions.

Because if you're killing me then gently caress you. YOU GET NOTHING!

The correct response is actually this + self detonated remote explosive

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Ok, I was having some trouble getting into this initially, then I hopped over to the team queue with a friend on voice chat and everything clicked. I have no interest now in playing solo queue at all; team play fixes so, so many problems with the combat system.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Ok, I was having some trouble getting into this initially, then I hopped over to the team queue with a friend on voice chat and everything clicked. I have no interest now in playing solo queue at all; team play fixes so, so many problems with the combat system.

While I think private servers could be cool I'm concerned about losing the convenience of just starting another game right after dying.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

milkman dad posted:

While I think private servers could be cool I'm concerned about losing the convenience of just starting another game right after dying.

You can quit the game when you die; you don't have to wait for your partner.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been on a t break for a while but I was having a lovely day yesterday so I decided, gently caress it, why not smoke some and play The Culling.

Do not get high and play this game. Holy poo poo I about had an aneurysm.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Big patch coming Wednesday

quote:

Major Changes
Initial optimization of network code to reduce latency
(optimization is ongoing)

All melee weapons rebalanced in terms of jab and charged attack
speeds
Several fixes to issues that were allowing Crafted Punji Sticks
to be abused
Crafted Punji Sticks can no longer be placed on top of each
other
Crafted Punji Sticks can no longer be placed on walls, doors,
or pylons
Crafted Punji Sticks can now be destroyed by taking damage
Rebalanced movement speed perks
Leg Day perk movement speed reduced from 10% to 7%
Speedy Spear and Runs With Knives perk movement speeds increased
to 13% from 10%
Movement speed perks now cost additional stamina when sprinting

Reduced firearms damage by 2 hit points per bullet
Fix for bug where some players could not see their unlocked items
in the front end menus

Minor Changes
Fixes for several spots on map where players could get stuck
Replaced lots of placeholder map art assets
Fix for intermittent issue where gas iris would not appear at end
of match
Fix for players being able to stand on another player’s head
“Surprise Me!” Airdrop will no longer call itself
Fix for crash when anything other than a player is caught in a
non-explosive trap
Fix for being able to avoid another player’s block by aiming at
their feet or above their head
Fix for backstabs not registering if they were aimed too high or
too low
Fix for bug where hitting an already stunned player with a Stun
Gun would partially free them from the stun effects
Fix for destroyed explosive barrels remaining interactive
Fix for being able to escape a snare by placing an object or
using a stim
Fix for generating a duplicate stim if it was thrown while being
used (the duplicate could not be used but it could be recycled)
Turned off shadow-casting on water plane
Fix for Explosive Mine detonating when an Airdrop container
landed on it and causing additional bugs
Fix to prevent melee and thrown weapon damage from being applied
by dead players
Small leaves and branches will no longer collide with projectiles
Fixed issues with larger trees whose bases didn’t fully intersect
with the ground and had collisions issues
Disabled feature that created friction when players collided
Fix for bug where throws would offset the thrown weapon depending
on cardinal direction facing of the player
Art passes on several buildings
Crafted Smoke Bomb description no longer makes false claims about
not affecting teammates
Fixes for several animation-related bugs
Fix for White Culco Graphic T-Shirt and Grey Culco Graphic
T-Shirt having the same name
Differentiated DBH Logo 1 t-shirt (which only dropped as an item
during Closed Alpha) from the default DBH Logo shirt (now DBH Logo 4)
New art for toilets and refrigerators
Fix for 2nd place player not seeing “Hunted” screen on death
Fix for bug where gas hazard sometimes wasn’t visible
Fix for rare bug where blindness wound effects did not go away
when the wound expired
Reduced range of Pepper Spray from 7.5 to 6 meters
Chemist perk rebalanced to offer 2X Stim effect duration instead
of 3X
Submission and Mangler perks now deal 135% melee damage dealt to
opponent stamina instead of 200%
Bows now use sights for aiming when zoomed instead of crosshairs
Polish pass on player hit reaction animations
Rebalanced loot rewards to prevent players with poor scores from
having a chance at higher-rarity items. Top-scoring players can no
longer receive lowest-rarity items.
Cannibal perk now heals for 35 instead of 25 hit points
Players are forced out of crouch stance when shoved or receiving
a melee combat interrupt
Fix for issue where Mantracker was placed incorrectly in Airdrop
containers
Orange Juice buffs reduced from 20% to 15%
Projectile weapons now line up with crosshairs better
Chopper and Basher perks charge time reduction now applies to
throw charge time as well as melee charge time
Fix for bug with shove distances when holding some non-weapon
items
Increased placement time of Explosive Mine and Remote Explosive
from 0.5 seconds to 2.0 seconds
Fix for bug where center kill switch would not activate pylons
that had already been used
Improved UI message for player who have been banned for cheating
Fix for server crash related to thrown weapons
Bleed wounds rebalanced to deal 4, 8, or 12 damage depending on
wound intensity (down from 6, 12, 18)
Increased duration of weakness wound to 12 seconds from 5 seconds
Health Station FUNC cost doubled to 1 FUNC for every 2 hit points
from 1 FUNC for every 4 hit points

Three Crate Monte now uses a new explosion type to prevent
players from opening the crates without receiving damage
Fix for weapon attack speed ratings not affecting weapon combat
performance as expected
Added spear attack animation variety
Fix for bug that allowed a spectator to win a match under certain
conditions
Texture size optimization for several character assets
Bows now use varying bleed wound intensities: Crafted bow = *,
Recurve Bow = **, Compound Bow = ***. This is now reflected in HUD
Medkit now heals to full when players have Big Boned perk
(previously restored a max of 100 hit points)
Fix for camera speed not being reset if a player was disarmed
while zoomed

Not a fan of the change to health stations. It makes them virtually useless now and it feels like they're pointlessly trying to fix something that clearly wasn't broken.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

PantsBandit posted:

Not a fan of the change to health stations. It makes them virtually useless now and it feels like they're pointlessly trying to fix something that clearly wasn't broken.

Yeah, this will just push people to hit trees for health instead. I guess hitting trees is fairly noisy? Otherwise there's no real change there.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It'll depend on the speed of the health machine, I guess. If it's 1 F.U.N.C. for 2HP every tick, then punching trees is both faster and more efficient.

The other changes look promising, though. I wonder how they're rebalancing the weapon speeds.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Its a lot more good changes than questionable ones that's for sure.

I just hope they randomize more things eventually, right now there are some set paths you can run to get almost guaranteed good loot.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That explains why blocking sometimes didn't work.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Sokani posted:

Yeah, this will just push people to hit trees for health instead. I guess hitting trees is fairly noisy?

Wait. What? You can punch trees for health?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Hitting trees will cause them to drop branches, 2 branches can be crafted into a bandage for 5 FUNC. Hitting rocks will cause them to drop rocks, you can always get the crafting basics even if you can't find them lying around.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Sokani posted:

Hitting trees will cause them to drop branches, 2 branches can be crafted into a bandage for 5 FUNC. Hitting rocks will cause them to drop rocks, you can always get the crafting basics even if you can't find them lying around.

Ah. Neat. Thanks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cidrick posted:

Ah. Neat. Thanks.

You can make a satchel and armor from rocks and branches too so get to scavenging!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is there a difference between armor made from a satchel vs armor made from a backpack? Similarly, is there a difference between armor crafted from pre-made materials, those crafted from looted backpacks, and looted armor?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
If memory serves, crafted armor has half the durability of found armor, with no difference between what ingredients are used to make the crafted armor.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I believe that crafted blocks 30 percent while found blocks 50 percent as well. That is why you can't reenforce one with the other

E. Rip Run-fast perks

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I took off Leg Day and put on the stamina regen instead, and that missing 10% is VERY noticeable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well it's 7% now and anyone with it is going to be burning through stamina faster than you. I've thought about replacing Leg Day with regenerator to offset the health station change.

Also reducing the power of mobility perks is good.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
This weapon rebalance is really throwing me for a loop. Every weapon feels way slower, I have no idea how many hits are safe after blocking or pushing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One interesting thing is that what drops for you is based off of score and not just what the map time is.

Torn about increasing time to set down explosives, on one hand it sucked to have it done to you but on the other it was hilarious to do to other people. The eternal struggle

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Honestly, bandages are always the better call than func stations even before the patch. Bandages cost 5 FUNC to make, but you get 2 FUNC back when you use it, like a stim. Func Stations were just much, much faster. Not having played the change yet it seems reasonable, but I kinda think they may have overshot; 1 for 3 may have been a better step.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm having fun landing with a man tracker and running towards the first target with a stone knife. People don't expect to fight so quickly and you can normally smash someone who's looting.

Bad strategy for somebody trying to win. Good strategy for somebody who's new and terrible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A hotfix was pushed that fixed the last patch.

And I made it to the final two with my very weird crafted spear/poking deeply/armor/man tracker build. Wish I could find the Boar Hunter or Javelineer drop.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Honestly as good as some of the weapon-focuses perks might be my strategy is still "use what you can find, vendor the rest, find a gun, win the game"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One interesting thing is that what drops for you is based off of score and not just what the map time is.

Torn about increasing time to set down explosives, on one hand it sucked to have it done to you but on the other it was hilarious to do to other people. The eternal struggle

I can confirm the hilarity. In two successive games I got a Carjacker drop crate, set the remote bomb, and each time successfully baited someone into running up on the crate and then getting a facefull of C4 followed by a facefull of crowbar.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Well the last patch chemist was really strong. Now that leg day is nerfed I think runs with knife knives bloodletter and sneaky is the go to build until they nerf bleed or ninja. Can run the same build with swat but too risky considering the bullet nerf.

The health station nerf was good I think makes healing a bigger choice of time or efficiency.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Is anyone still playing this game? I've been going pretty hard into it and by now I think I have around 200+ wins, both over FFA and team modes. I've discovered all kinds of ridiculously obscure and stupid mechanics within the game too. In fact I was the one who made devs realize OJ was 20% previously and not 15%, they literally forgot they changed it until I made a post lmao. Some of the weird things I recently found out:

-C4/Claymore(and placed traps?) aren't buffed by stims like muscle milk or OJ. However, Ol Painless does work on them. Thrown explosives are buffed though, cause reasons.

-There is a hidden mechanic that makes it harder to queue into FFA vs friends. If you take them off of your steam friends list, you're more likely to get into a game with them. I'm not really 100% sure on this but after trying to snipe a Streamer(who doesn't mind being sniped in FFA, I talk to him) a dozen times and never getting him, I tried taking him off of my list. Now I constantly can get into his games. Weird.

-Disarming your teammates traps is instant if you click as soon as they place it, and you get 2 func for it, or 4 with moneybags.. and you can constantly do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, people are definitely still playing, though I think maybe not as much as when it first popped onto Steam. I've been running with Man Tracker/Runs with Knives/Stealthy which is funny as hell but not necessarily effective. It does make for interesting teams when paired with someone with the Golden Arm setup, though.

• Locked thread