Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
There'll be dreadnaught/death star sized ships if not at release then before the first anniversary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What I want to know is: will custom starts be possible?

I have an idea for a multiplayer game I want to do, where everyone starts off as a faction of humans escaping from a dying sol system.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
They won't all be on Earth itself, and I don't know if it'll be possible to have multiple factions in one system, but yes, you will be able to have custom starts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NewMars posted:

What I want to know is: will custom starts be possible?

I have an idea for a multiplayer game I want to do, where everyone starts off as a faction of humans escaping from a dying sol system.

I don't think so, not out of the box. Demand for such an option/tool seems really strong though so hopefully they'll release some sort of map editor/scenario builder. Multiple nations can't control a planet, but you could create a game with Sol in the middle and each player having just founded their first colony in another system.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think so, not out of the box. Demand for such an option/tool seems really strong though so hopefully they'll release some sort of map editor/scenario builder. Multiple nations can't control a planet, but you could create a game with Sol in the middle and each player having just founded their first colony in another system.

Sky Shadowing posted:

They won't all be on Earth itself, and I don't know if it'll be possible to have multiple factions in one system, but yes, you will be able to have custom starts.

The idea was that earth starts uninhabitable, like in that promotional screenshot and they all start with only a colony ship.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NewMars posted:

The idea was that earth starts uninhabitable, like in that promotional screenshot and they all start with only a colony ship.

Would be doable with modding if 0 planets did not game over you.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
You can just make your own special snowflake human faction and make sure you randomize your starter system rather than starting in Sol.

Easy to justify that set up and cuts out the potentially troublesome "run until you find a good planet and hopefully don't get blown up" part.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Would like to have a Culture ship name database on the go from the very beginning.

edit: seems like there are 216 Culture ship names. I'm guessing there's a character limit, but I'd hope that's enough to populate a game! If not there's always some from here https://twitter.com/cultureshipname?lang=en-gb

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 17, 2016

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So has the stream made its way to YouTube yet? I missed out on the fun :(

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You can just watch the twitch archive.

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/54999695

It probably doesn't start until a few minutes in.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

GCValentine posted:

You can just watch the twitch archive.

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/54999695

It probably doesn't start until a few minutes in.

Oh boy, thank you! Don't know how I've missed the archive.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

nothing to seehere posted:

Do basically all the devs want to host these streams and you all fight over it then?
Note to self, start an underground fight stream with PDS devs.

Baronjutter posted:

That was a nice stream, game looks good. Very excited to see past the first early exploration phase we've seen over and over though. Get some juicy mid game action!

Fintilgin posted:

Definitely interested in seeing some midgame 'traditional Paradox' play, now that we've seen a couple streams of the very start of the game.

The plan is for this to be a proper play-through, a large part of me want to jump forward in time, but we'd spend too much time explaining what the stream missed since last time. And being paused for too long is boring. We'll get to the mid-game soon enough. I was slightly worried that we'd cover the same information that was already in the Quill18 videos, but with Wiz's focus on the Blorg I think we managed to at least in part show off some new stuff even though we've already seen some early game.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It will go up on Youtube tomorrow when I get in to the office. Didn't have time to edit it tonight. Also it's on Twitch if their VOD system works for you.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

cKnoor posted:

The plan is for this to be a proper play-through, a large part of me want to jump forward in time, but we'd spend too much time explaining what the stream missed since last time. And being paused for too long is boring. We'll get to the mid-game soon enough. I was slightly worried that we'd cover the same information that was already in the Quill18 videos, but with Wiz's focus on the Blorg I think we managed to at least in part show off some new stuff even though we've already seen some early game.

One thing to keep in mind: if you have an event box, don't keep it in the bottom-right of the screen where viewers can't see so they can't read the event. Also I would appreciate a mouse-over of each government type on the racial ethos select screen so we can find out what they all do/require, but that might not be possible since you've already made the race (and they might not all be done yet). Apart from that loved the stream, and can't wait for next week.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

nothing to seehere posted:

One thing to keep in mind: if you have an event box, don't keep it in the bottom-right of the screen where viewers can't see so they can't read the event. Also I would appreciate a mouse-over of each government type on the racial ethos select screen so we can find out what they all do/require, but that might not be possible since you've already made the race (and they might not all be done yet). Apart from that loved the stream, and can't wait for next week.

I am modding the face cam for next week, it could be a bit smaller.

Showcasing all the government types is a decent idea, it's just that if we did that on stream we'd get even less things done. Once we reach aliens that may have another government type we should go over what those mean though. It might be worth it to put out a more complete look at species gen, but that would probably come closer to release date if anything. We're trying to balance the hypetrain so we can keep it going until release. :)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Chief Savage Man posted:

Is there any information about how many ship classes there are? I'm looking through the DDs and have found Corvette, Cruiser, Destroyer, Battleship and Colony/Construction/Science ships. Is there a definitive list anywhere?

It's a shame we can't rename the ship classification names so that it's a destroyer-corvette instead of just plain corvette. Or destroyer-carrier in lieu or carrier.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any time wiz was turning his head to talk to you or go into another screen rather than pay attention to the overall game it felt like being in a car where the driver would keep taking their eyes of the road. "What if a thing happens and the game doesn't auto pause?!?!" and then it did, the scout got chased away. I play paradox games with basically every possible "thing" in the game resulting in a pause. The idea of having an empty production or research slot, or a unit that's awaiting new order, even for a single tick makes me twitch with OCD.

I'm super excited to see this play out. I want to see the mid-game but I also want to know how you get there. Usually can't stand most "LP" people but you guys are just fine, even less offensive than Quill who doesn't seem to put on much of a persona or silly voice. I don't know why people can't just play and comment on a game as them selves rather than a ridiculous character, I guess because it makes them 6+ figures.

This is a pretty nit-picky question, but do our city graphics ever change over time? I know it was already a lot of work to have art for each race type, but it would be cool if they changed as your society advanced, perhaps even reflecting your technology and ethos. So if you become a race of brutal amoral cyborgs your cities would turn into these huge cyber-brutalist nightmares, or if your people were happy pacifist spiritualists the buildings would be grand but graceful. Obviously that would be a ton more art as every species would need like 3 levels of tech advancement. Even if not total ethos art, little details like a military dictatorship having big nationalist banners on their buildings while pacifists might have little gardens all over everything. Little "props" layer on top of the base city art plus some slight pallet changes to help communicate the sort of culture you're looking at. Which wouldn't be pure fluff, it would help you visually get a sense of who you're talking to.

Also if we conquer another race, do we get to keep their city art? Would be rad to see a mixed-species planet have mixed city art and have an awesome cosmopolitan skyline of humanoid towers next to fungal towers.

Wiz, I like how you play the game with a mind towards sort of "role playing" a bit, thinking what your race would do based on the 'character' you've come up with (also love how this apparently is enraging people on the forums that you aren't speed running the game like a super serious e-sports star). You are playing at just the right pace. I'm excited to see how your AI personality work translated this sort of mindset into actual mechanics/events/fluff.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 18, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You voted this thread title 5, go hog wild!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Are there space polar bears?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Baronjutter posted:

Releasing a couple sample versions of all the files/art for a race would be pretty cool and people would get crackin' on that.

Going by other Paradox games, they're fixed sizes regardless of resolution so you can do it based on grabbing a screencap of the largest image in game and using that to base your own off of. Would be nice to know how many frames they are on average though for the leader portraits.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Xerophyte posted:

go full Luseferous

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

James The 1st posted:

Are there space polar bears?

What about Jews in Space?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Just watched the twitch session. The Blorg seem pretty chill. I'd be their friend. :3:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

comaerror posted:

Just watched the twitch session. The Blorg seem pretty chill. I'd be their friend. :3:

But they're so... repugnant...

Speaking of ugly creatures, here's all the known races so far

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 18, 2016

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Nah. They'd make great guests at one of my laborparty camps.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The managed to turn one of the most boring parts of a game into something really entertaining in the beginning.

I doubt it'll be quite like that when you're playing (unless you like laughing to yourself) but I'm glad they're going with some sort of narrative to give this some character while we wait for the game itself to come out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Wanna play as those fungi in the bottom left corner.

Seriously though that stream looked so good, I want this game to release yesterday.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm going to only play as the bug eyed catfish folks

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Kerbals need to be modded in. Namelists and everything.

:colbert:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am going to be one of those awful people who only play as humans. I am super boring and whenever I play videogames, regardless of the genre, I always end up being a lame human and I see no reason why that will stop here!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Kerbals need to be modded in. Namelists and everything.

:colbert:

This is true.

We also need ammonia planets and other more weird types of home world. Those are sure to come as some DLC though.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am going to be one of those awful people who only play as humans. I am super boring and whenever I play videogames, regardless of the genre, I always end up being a lame human and I see no reason why that will stop here!

I'm going to be playing humans alot for my first singleplayer playthroughs, however me and a couple of friends who are going to get this have pretty much decided that no one is going to play humans in multiplayer.

e: What I really want to do for singleplayer is starting out as the hippie dippie kind of standard Star Trek humans, and then be on the prowl for the moment POP ethics begin to diverge to a more authoritarian set and then turn it all around and unite and strengthen humanity under a strong leader. Possibly by tag switching to some breakaway faction or something that fits those criteria and conquering and supplanting the old regime.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 18, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Really happy they give you a way to have asymmetrical starts, I was really worried the default would get stale after a while.

your homeworld potentially being a moon is cool too

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

same

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 18, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'm gonna be an avian species and just name everything CAW CAW CAAAW.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
About time this game got its own thread. This and TW: Warhammer coming out in the same month is going to be great. I hope they make it so federation presidents get voted in because the cycle poo poo could potentially ruin the mechanic. Eventfully the cycle would roll onto someone who's completely insane and declares war on a bunch of people the federation can't win against and everyone ends up dying in the dumbest war ever.

That guy will obviously be VerdantSquire, fellow goon and EU4 player

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Time to remake the cat race from wing commander.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BillBear posted:

About time this game got its own thread. This and TW: Warhammer coming out in the same month is going to be great. I hope they make it so federation presidents get voted in because the cycle poo poo could potentially ruin the mechanic. Eventfully the cycle would roll onto someone who's completely insane and declares war on a bunch of people the federation can't win against and everyone ends up dying in the dumbest war ever.

Sounds like playing a merchant republic in CK2.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to play this game until I can go in to real Outer Space and do the same thing.

Baronjutter posted:

Why do most of them all shop at the same places

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 18, 2016

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

I like the space platypus.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I'm the 4-legged spider thing second over on the second-to-last row.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Smug Slugs or Not-Mindflayers all universe erry universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
My favorite is definitely the Smug Slugs.

• Locked thread