Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kind of like his -1 Anguished unmaking +1 Ruinous path to cut down on self damage.
I don't know how I feel about losing a secure the waste for an extra grasps of darkness.

Secure has been so solid for me, even if its just making 3 tokens to block.
I also like Reality Smasher in the board, but the is mostly due to my store having two mono blue players playing Brain in the Jar, and Sphinx's tutelage.
Smasher seems decent against tokens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

I wanted to find a fun standard deck someone brewed that I took to my first ever FNM. A delightful number that was equal parts mill, combo and agro. I ended up finding it here.

As an aside, I have put together a very rough mockup of a Modern Werewolf deck. I don't play much (any) modern though, so any advice on how to tighten it up and what to include as a sideboard are very welcome.

Deck: Rough Modern Werewolves

//Lands
2 Cavern of Souls
6 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
2 Arlinn Kord
1 Garruk Relentless
4 Moonmist
2 Neglected Heirloom

//Creatures
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Geier Reach Bandit
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Immerwolf
3 Kruin Outlaw
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Scorned Villager
3 Wolfir Silverheart

Display deck statistics

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
After piddling around trying to make a UR Modern Aggro deck, I realized I have just about everything for a Modern Atarka Red deck. This isn't for GPs or anything, I'd just like a valid Modern deck to play in that format casually.

Creatures: 16
x4 Monastery Swiftspear
x4 Elvish Visionary
x4 Abbot of Keral Keep
x4 Duskwatch Recruiter

Spells: 24
x4 Atarka's Command
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Lava Spike
x4 Wild Slash
x3 Become Immense
x3 Temur Battle Rage
x2 Roast

Lands: 20
x9 Mountain
x4 Forest
x3 Cinder Glade/Copperline Gorge(?)/Stomping Ground
x4 Wooded Foothills

Where I need help is the mana. I can see reasons for using either Glade or Gorge or both, and also the red/green split. I'm sure there's something better than Duskwatch Recruiter, but I just really like that card and wanna play it. I also think there's probably something better than Roast in the main, but I'm not sure what, and maybe one less Fiery ImpulseWild Slash?

e: Just realized Gorge isn't fetchable, it'd be Stomping Ground.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2016

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Alris posted:

I wanted to find a fun standard deck someone brewed that I took to my first ever FNM. A delightful number that was equal parts mill, combo and agro. I ended up finding it here.

As an aside, I have put together a very rough mockup of a Modern Werewolf deck. I don't play much (any) modern though, so any advice on how to tighten it up and what to include as a sideboard are very welcome.

Deck: Rough Modern Werewolves

//Lands
2 Cavern of Souls
6 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
2 Arlinn Kord
1 Garruk Relentless
4 Moonmist
2 Neglected Heirloom

//Creatures
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Geier Reach Bandit
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Immerwolf
3 Kruin Outlaw
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Scorned Villager
3 Wolfir Silverheart

Display deck statistics

Moonlit Hunt is pretty sweet instant speed removal. If you throw a Silverfur partisan or cult of the waxing moon on the board, moonmist will net you a fuckton of wolf tokens.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

MoreLikeTen posted:

Moonlit Hunt is pretty sweet instant speed removal. If you throw a Silverfur partisan or cult of the waxing moon on the board, moonmist will net you a fuckton of wolf tokens.

You're a GENIUS! I'll make adjustments now.

EDIT: Updated list Deck: Rough Modern Werewolves

Axed the Planeswalkers, also the Huntmasters and Wolfir Silverhearts which I wasnt to keen on saying goodbye to. In their place are Moonlight Hunts and Collected Companys. Also replace the Scorned Villagers with Village Mesengers (torn between them, Reckless Waif and Wolfbitten Captive).

Alris fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 4, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Neglected Heirloom and Moonmist, while extremely flavorful, seem loose. There's no way you should be playing a reasonably aggressive red deck in Modern and not have four copies of lightning bolt. I'd cut the equipment and at least 2 moonmists for 4 bolts, then maybe find some two more werewolves since the math with only 25 werewolves seems a touch sketchy for collected company

the thing is, I'm not actually sure moonmist is where you want to be. Modern is not like standard, in that there aren't that many board states where you've got a bunch of creatures and aren't already just winning the game. seems like a reasonable sideboard card for the Company matchup or maybe affinity depends on how their draw lines up.

e: also with 21 lands and a curve that tops out at 3 you should definitely be playing some number (probably 4) of copperline gorge

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 6, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

MoreLikeTen posted:

Unless I am totally missing something, Moonlight Hunt and Moonmist don't target any wolves or werewolves you control, so no trigger will occur for Silverfur Partisan. Cult of the Waxing moon does have a nice interaction with Moonmist though

If you're going to run collected company I would cut some more non-creature spells main deck and also work on keeping the mana costs for the sideboard creatures down at three or less to maximize collected company unless they are silver bullets / win the game creatures, personally. Neglected Heirloom can go easily. I know you said casual modern but still : )

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Total beginner building my first deck. Modern. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zombie-shitstorm/

The plan with this deck is to survive until the fifth turn, at which point Army of the Damned can be cast (with the help of Crypt Ghast to double my mana pool). Amulet of Vigor will allow my 13 zombie tokens to enter untapped. The other creatures will either work as defense until I can cast Army of the Damned, or to help buff up my zombie army. Dark Petition and Diabolic Tutor will help ensure that I have the key cards in my hand by the fifth turn.

Thoughts? Is this a stupid strategy or could this actually work?

EDIT: I should point out that the only reason I'm using 1x Death Baron instead of 4x is financial restrictions. That's a pricey card.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 6, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If your goal is to be competitive in tournaments, it's important to understand that, in Modern, every one of your opponents can either kill you on turn 4 or earlier with some interaction or on turn 7 or so with a ton of disruption. Right now, you're not capable of competing against either of those, your cards are too expensive(in terms of mana) and frequently too weak.

I suspect the basic strategy of trying to cast Army isn't going to be strong, but if you want to try you're going to want cheap discard (Inquisition of Kozilek, Thoughtseize, Duress) and cheap removal/sweepers and probably some card draw with the plan of holding on until you can cast Army. You would want to cut the lords (such as Death Baron), your cheap creatures, and Amulet, since if you cast Army you're likely to win anyway. If you want to do more of a zombie deck, you're going to want to cut the expensive cards and tutors for more cheap creatures(and higher quality ones than Walking Corpse) discard, and removal. The one mana discard spells are going to be pricey(probably pricier than Death Baton), and some of the other cards may be as well, but Modern is, unfortunately, an expensive format to play. If you're interested, you can send me a PM and I can try to help you test/build tonight in the free program xmage.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks for the advice. I may reconsider my strategy. But I definitely want to build a zombie deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If your goal is to win with zombie creatures, I'd recommend a dredge deck, something like this. In Dredge style decks, you're essentially dumping your library into your graveyard and using that to do things with cards like Bridge from Below or Narcomoeba. It's not considered a truly top tier deck currently, but it's decent and can beat anyone. It's also relatively cheap as Modern decks go (although you will experience some sticker shock, especially in the mana base), and it should be possible to build a weaker but still functional manabase for less.

If your goal is to go for a more traditional tribal deck, I would probably try to build an aggressive base black deck. I'm at work, so I don't want to try to put together a list, but I suspect that it should be possible to build a deck that can win games against good decks, although you will generally be an underdog.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 6, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

caiman posted:

Total beginner building my first deck. Modern. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zombie-shitstorm/

The plan with this deck is to survive until the fifth turn, at which point Army of the Damned can be cast (with the help of Crypt Ghast to double my mana pool). Amulet of Vigor will allow my 13 zombie tokens to enter untapped. The other creatures will either work as defense until I can cast Army of the Damned, or to help buff up my zombie army. Dark Petition and Diabolic Tutor will help ensure that I have the key cards in my hand by the fifth turn.

Thoughts? Is this a stupid strategy or could this actually work?

EDIT: I should point out that the only reason I'm using 1x Death Baron instead of 4x is financial restrictions. That's a pricey card.

Any combo that involves casting a creature with >3 toughness, and then untapping with the creature still in play is only going to work 5% of the time. Tutoring up combo peices is just a huge waste of mana when your combo fizzles to lightning bolt.

Either go all-in on the combo with more amulets, some kind of mana ramp, and a bunch of discard to clear the way, or go all-in on the zombie tribal beatdowns with better zombies and a few cheap removal spells. They are very different gameplans and trying to do both just makes you good at neither. Your going to draw lots of nonfunctional hands where you have only lords and combo pieces, or a bunch of cheap zombies plus two copies of Dark Petition.

Either way Undead Warchief and Walking Corpse should not be in your deck. Gravecrawler is probably the best zombie in modern, and anything from this list would be better as well.

If you want to be competitive, just build dredge like Elyv said. It's really good right now.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 6, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

After piddling around trying to make a UR Modern Aggro deck, I realized I have just about everything for a Modern Atarka Red deck. This isn't for GPs or anything, I'd just like a valid Modern deck to play in that format casually.

x4 Monastery Swiftspear
x4 Elvish Visionary
x4 Abbot of Keral Keep
x4 Duskwatch Recruiter

x4 Atarka's Command
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Lava Spike
x4 Wild Slash
x3 Become Immense
x3 Temur Battle Rage
x2 Roast

x9 Mountain
x4 Forest
x3 Cinder Glade/Copperline Gorge(?)/Stomping Ground
x4 Wooded Foothills

Where I need help is the mana. I can see reasons for using either Glade or Gorge or both, and also the red/green split. I'm sure there's something better than Duskwatch Recruiter, but I just really like that card and wanna play it. I also think there's probably something better than Roast in the main, but I'm not sure what, and maybe one less Fiery ImpulseWild Slash?

e: Just realized Gorge isn't fetchable, it'd be Stomping Ground.

Duskwatch Recruiter seems like a nonbo with only 20 lands and only 16 creatures. Elvish Visionary just seems bad. Play Kird Ape and, if you have more fetches and some white shocks, you can play Wild Nacatl as well. After that it's pretty slim pickings for good creatures, budget or otherwise. Goblin Guide if you want to spend money, maybe young pyromancer if you don't? Even dragon fodder would be better than Visionary. I think Rift Bolt or Searing Blaze would be better than Wild Slash. Mutagenic Growth is another cheap card that works really well with prowess creatures.

Do not play cinder glade in a deck that absolutely needs lands to come into play untapped.

You can also look up Bushwhacker Zoo or 8-whack for some cheap-ish decks that are doing a similar thing but are more proven.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

little munchkin posted:

Duskwatch Recruiter seems like a nonbo with only 20 lands and only 16 creatures. Elvish Visionary just seems bad. Play Kird Ape and, if you have more fetches and some white shocks, you can play Wild Nacatl as well. After that it's pretty slim pickings for good creatures, budget or otherwise. Goblin Guide if you want to spend money, maybe young pyromancer if you don't? Even dragon fodder would be better than Visionary. I think Rift Bolt or Searing Blaze would be better than Wild Slash. Mutagenic Growth is another cheap card that works really well with prowess creatures.

Do not play cinder glade in a deck that absolutely needs lands to come into play untapped.

You can also look up Bushwhacker Zoo or 8-whack for some cheap-ish decks that are doing a similar thing but are more proven.

Yeah I'd like to stay cheaper until I decide if I want to play loads of Modern; I've been watching Goblin Guides, but, yeah... Wild Nacatl looks good (and affordable), and I already have one Young Pyro so I'd be willing to buy into those.

How many shocklands should I realistically be running in a deck like this? Two Temple Garden, two Stomping Ground, with eight fetches? More duals?

As for fetches, I have a playset of Bloodstained Mire I could run in addition to my Wooded Foothills, but that doesn't fetch Temple Garden. Windswept Heaths are pretty cheap now, relatively.

E: Although if upgrading all the necessary parts to make this deck what it should be ends up costing THAT much more, it might be cheaper to just throw cash at Guides and make a RDW with what I already have. :sigh:

I just wanna be over the :retrogames: hump and have another deck that won't rotate besides my Commander deck.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 7, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

caiman posted:

If you really want to stick with Zombie tribal, a guy at my old LGS used to run this list with quite a bit of success against "better" decks-

Deck: Zombie Aggro

//Lands
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
12 Swamp

//Spells
3 Countersquall
4 Geth's Verdict
3 Mortarpod
4 Thoughtseize
4 Tragic Slip

//Creatures
4 Diregraf Captain
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
3 Phantasmal Image
3 Phyrexian Obliterator

//Sideboard
3 Cavern of Souls
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Spell Pierce
4 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

If budget is an issue you can definitely get away without the SB Caverns of Souls, and probably be fine swapping out the Obliterators for one of your other Zombie lords; taking out those six cards cuts like half the price off of the deck. The caveat is that this list is over a year old and maybe gets stomped by other decks in a super-obvious way. Just food for thought.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

caiman posted:

Thanks for the advice. I may reconsider my strategy. But I definitely want to build a zombie deck.

Try the treasure hunt zombie deck. It's cheap, and also hilarious. It's like the turn 1 infect deck that has tainted strike in that you need to mulligan a lot, it is high variance, but when it does it's thing it will win if not answered. You can make it rain zombie tokens, which I think is cool. I mean, if you just need a deck to go play modern and chill it's ok for now. I think the most powerful "zombie" deck in modern is suicide zoo, if you want to get all competitive.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I've switched gears and am now thinking Standard instead of Modern. Still mono-black zombies. Here's what I've come up with: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-mono-black-zombies-2/

Thoughts?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

caiman posted:

So I've switched gears and am now thinking Standard instead of Modern. Still mono-black zombies. Here's what I've come up with: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-mono-black-zombies-2/

Thoughts?

If you're going with zombies as a tribal theme you at least need the one standard legal zombie lord, Risen Executioner. Probably also need a little removal as well in place of all those other kinda bad instants and sorceries.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If you're going with zombies as a tribal theme you at least need the one standard legal zombie lord, Risen Executioner. Probably also need a little removal as well in place of all those other kinda bad instants and sorceries.

Ok, I added Risen Executioner, Grasp of Darkness and Ruinous Path.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Okay. Well. Yeah, upgrading that Atarka Red deck would cost me more than I'm willing to part with to get into a format I'm not sure I'll have lots of games for. I think I've found another Aggro deck that I'm missing all of three (playsets) for.

Red Deck Bushwhacks

x4 Monastery Swiftspear
x4 Abbot of Keral Keep
x4 Young Pyromancer
x4 Reckless Bushwhacker

x4 Rift Bolt
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Lava Spike
x4 Wild Slash
x4 Dragon Fodder
x4 Searing Blaze

x20 Mountain

No Goblin Guides, and using Amazon for singles it's costing me all of $22 to buy what I don't already own, and it's hard to beat the cost of the manabase :haw:.

This deck would let me burn out folks and also go wide on 1/1 tokens between YP and Fodder, the dream being hitting Dragon Fodder and surging Reckless Bushwhacker on turn 4 after playing out a Young Pyromancer on a previous turn (and having it survive to T4). It's light on one-drop creatures, but Zurgo Bellstriker is... boring, and Guides are something I could invest in/trade for later, and between Lightning Bolt, Rift Bolt, Wild Slash and Monastery Swiftspear, I should have some sort of action on T1 as it is. If the Abbots have me chucking spells more than playing them, I'll tap in the Bellstrikers.

Outside of Boiling Earth and Roast I'm not sure what goes in the sideboard for this deck, but I guess I'll just copy someone else's :shrug:

ninja-edit: Hordeling Outburst seems too slow? But that's an option too. I don't expect to make it to turn five and not have the game already won or lost by then, which is when I could outburst and start whacking bushes.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 7, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

Okay. Well. Yeah, upgrading that Atarka Red deck would cost me more than I'm willing to part with to get into a format I'm not sure I'll have lots of games for. I think I've found another Aggro deck that I'm missing all of three (playsets) for.

Red Deck Bushwhacks

x4 Monastery Swiftspear
x4 Abbot of Keral Keep
x4 Young Pyromancer
x4 Reckless Bushwhacker

x4 Rift Bolt
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Lava Spike
x4 Wild Slash
x4 Dragon Fodder
x4 Searing Blaze

x20 Mountain

No Goblin Guides, and using Amazon for singles it's costing me all of $22 to buy what I don't already own, and it's hard to beat the cost of the manabase :haw:.

This deck would let me burn out folks and also go wide on 1/1 tokens between YP and Fodder, the dream being hitting Dragon Fodder and surging Reckless Bushwhacker on turn 4 after playing out a Young Pyromancer on a previous turn (and having it survive to T4). It's light on one-drop creatures, but Zurgo Bellstriker is... boring, and Guides are something I could invest in/trade for later, and between Lightning Bolt, Rift Bolt, Wild Slash and Monastery Swiftspear, I should have some sort of action on T1 as it is. If the Abbots have me chucking spells more than playing them, I'll tap in the Bellstrikers.

Outside of Boiling Earth and Roast I'm not sure what goes in the sideboard for this deck, but I guess I'll just copy someone else's :shrug:

ninja-edit: Hordeling Outburst seems too slow? But that's an option too. I don't expect to make it to turn five and not have the game already won or lost by then, which is when I could outburst and start whacking bushes.

Cut 4 wild slash for 4 goblin bushwhacker for the 8 whack route.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-mono-black-zombies-2/

Any suggestions for less pricey cards to replace Liliana and Kalitas? (Standard) I'm not looking to win pro tournaments or anything, just to be semi-competitive at FNM.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 9, 2016

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

caiman posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stan...lack-zombies-2/

Any suggestions for less pricey cards to replace Liliana and Kalitas? (Standard) I'm not looking to win pro tournaments or anything, just to be semi-competitive at FNM.

Your link doesn't work.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TwistedNails posted:

Your link doesn't work.

Whoops, here you go: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-mono-black-zombies-2/

EDIT: And actually, I said gently caress it and bought a Kalitas. So I guess I'll stick with this deck.

Please nobody tell my wife I just spent $26 on a small piece of thin cardboard.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 9, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
R/U fliers is such a loving fun deck to play, thank you Saito.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It looks like a pain for BW Control. gently caress you Saito.

Seriously though, it seems pretty bad for BW if it gains traction? Lots of counters and flyers are bad news for Planeswalkers. I suppose a lot of early removal forces them to stay off the board, they probably can't rely on curving out, I just feel that BW will struggle to get a win condition down.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

Cut 4 wild slash for 4 goblin bushwhacker for the 8 whack route.

I took your advice, and here's where I've ended up. The cards got here today, everything's sleeved up and it's going to my LGS with me tonight in case I can get a side-game in before the draft starts.

Modern Red Deck 8-Whack

quote:

Creature (20)
4x Abbot of Keral Keep
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Reckless Bushwhacker
4x Young Pyromancer

Sorcery (12)
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt

Instant (8)
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Searing Blaze

Land (20)
20x Mountain

Pretty much part goblin deck, mostly a regular ol' mono red deck. I think it'll be fun to play even if it's nowhere near top tier; I like to play Aggro, in any case.

As for sideboard, I think a Boiling Earth-type card for token decks (pretty sure there's strictly better "deal 1 damage to every creature" cards than Boiling Earth since I won't be using its Awaken option), Smash to Smithereens for Affinity, Roast for Eldrazi/bigger creature decks, and that's about all I know of? Where else should I aim for the sideboard?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Can I get any feedback on this B/W Eldrazi & Taxes build? Mostly concerned about the sideboard and manabase:

Deck: Eldrazi & Taxes

//Main
4 Eldrazi Displacer
4 Tidehollow Sculler
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Ęther Vial
4 Wasteland Strangler
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Path to Exile
2 Blade Splicer
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Flickerwisp
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Spellskite
1 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Godless Shrine
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Shambling Vent
2 Sea Gate Wreckage
4 Eldrazi Temple

//Sideboard
1 Sin Collector
1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 Athreos, God of Passage
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Dryad Militant
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Kor Firewalker
2 Stony Silence
2 Timely Reinforcements
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Leyline of Sanctity

Display deck statistics

The sideboard in a work in progress, it's made up of a lot of stuff I had lying around. Also it's 16 cards so something needs to be cut. Also should I cut Sea Gate Wreckage for more Vents or basics?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

I took your advice, and here's where I've ended up. The cards got here today, everything's sleeved up and it's going to my LGS with me tonight in case I can get a side-game in before the draft starts.

Modern Red Deck 8-Whack

Pretty much part goblin deck, mostly a regular ol' mono red deck. I think it'll be fun to play even if it's nowhere near top tier; I like to play Aggro, in any case.

As for sideboard, I think a Boiling Earth-type card for token decks (pretty sure there's strictly better "deal 1 damage to every creature" cards than Boiling Earth since I won't be using its Awaken option), Smash to Smithereens for Affinity, Roast for Eldrazi/bigger creature decks, and that's about all I know of? Where else should I aim for the sideboard?

Skullcrack to deal with people gaining a bunch of life.

Relic of Progenitus or Tormod's Crypt for graveyard-based combo decks.

Pyrite Spellbomb to kill creatures with protection from red

Dragon's Claw maybe? Not sure how mono-red matches up against W/R/G burn.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

R/U fliers is such a loving fun deck to play, thank you Saito.

The Top Level Podcast guys were talking about a UW version that drops the burn for Declaration in Stone, Invocation of St Traft, and Essence Flux, then it jams in some Gideons and Reflect Mages.

Essence Flux in that deck seems like absolute gas

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Modern Red Deck 8-Whack

I think you're a little burn-heavy for a deck that wants to win by going wide. I'd cut some burn for 4x Krenko's Command, you might even try to work in a couple Hordeling Outbursts if you're feeling particularly sassy.
I like the SB options that munchkin already put out there, plus Electrickery for anti-token tech.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Retooling BW Control, I'm going to try a couple of Radiant Purge in the side. Fevered Visions sucks for me and I can't often wait for Unmaking to show up and pay life, but it hits some other useful targets like Silimgar and the manlands.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I think you're a little burn-heavy for a deck that wants to win by going wide. I'd cut some burn for 4x Krenko's Command, you might even try to work in a couple Hordeling Outbursts if you're feeling particularly sassy.
I like the SB options that munchkin already put out there, plus Electrickery for anti-token tech.

Hordeling Outburst just seems like it'd always be too much too early since I'd never want to cast it without a Bushwhacker or too little too late. I didn't know Krenko's Command existed, so thanks on that one.

Is there a difference I'm not seeing between the Boiling Earths I already have and Electrickery?

e: Would it be a terrible idea to just replace the Abbots with Goblin Piledrivers?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 15, 2016

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
This is what I'm taking to my modern FNM tomorrow. I know the meta usually has G/R Tron, G/U Infect (or three), Affinity, and sometimes Jund. Coco Cord is also becoming somewhat popular, hence the Cages.

Deck: Naya Burn

//Creatures
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Monastery Swiftspear

//Spells
4 Atarka's Command
4 Boros Charm
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Sacred Foundry
3 Stomping Ground
4 Wooded Foothills
5 Mountain

//Sideboard
4 Destructive Revelry
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Lightning Helix
2 Molten Rain
3 Deflecting Palm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Oraculum Animi posted:

This is what I'm taking to my modern FNM tomorrow. I know the meta usually has G/R Tron, G/U Infect (or three), Affinity, and sometimes Jund. Coco Cord is also becoming somewhat popular, hence the Cages.

Deck: Naya Burn

I feel like I see Lightning Helix mainboarded in Burn more often than not, but I couldn't tell you what to switch out in this case. Maybe Grim Lavamancer? If you do move them to your main I would put more Molten Rains in your sideboard to fill the gap, all of the decks you listed in your metagame either lean heavily on non-basics or are running manlands that you'll be hard-pressed to deal with otherwise.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I feel like I see Lightning Helix mainboarded in Burn more often than not, but I couldn't tell you what to switch out in this case. Maybe Grim Lavamancer? If you do move them to your main I would put more Molten Rains in your sideboard to fill the gap, all of the decks you listed in your metagame either lean heavily on non-basics or are running manlands that you'll be hard-pressed to deal with otherwise.

I considered dropping 4 Skullcrack for 2 Lightning Helix and 2 Shard Volley. That would get me another Molten Rain and another... Dragon's Claw? I've lost a game when I was playing G/B Infect where someone used Skullcrack when I blocked with a Phyrexian Crusader so that's hung up in my head.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Oraculum Animi posted:

I considered dropping 4 Skullcrack for 2 Lightning Helix and 2 Shard Volley. That would get me another Molten Rain and another... Dragon's Claw? I've lost a game when I was playing G/B Infect where someone used Skullcrack when I blocked with a Phyrexian Crusader so that's hung up in my head.

No I'd definitely keep Skullcrack somewhere in the deck. Maybe do a 2/2 split on Skullcrack and put Lightning Helix in those free MB slots?

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Just getting back into magic.

Standard PPTQ this weekend.
Loots of B/W control and G/W Token players in my area.

G/W Humans

Creatures 27
4 Hanweir Militia Captain
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Sigarda, Heron's Grace
2 Archangel Avacyn
3 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Knight of the White Orchid

Spells 12
4 Confront the Unknown
2 Eerie Interlude
2 Ulvenwald Mysteries
4 Dromoka's Command

Lands 21
6 Plains
5 Forest
4 Canopy Vista
4 Fortified Village
2 Westvale Abbey

Sideboard:
2 Ulvenwald Mysteries
3 Hallowed Moonlight
4 Surge of Righteousness
3 Clip Wings
3 Declaration in Stone

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
A lot of people run Archangel of Tithes in the more midrangey humans decks, you could give that a look. Also, you really ought to have Always Watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Decided to make a Fevered Visions Deck! (Standard/Budget)

Deck: Fevered Tutelage

//Lands
4 Highland Lake
9 Island
9 Mountain

//Spells
4 Alchemist's Vial
4 Fevered Visions
4 Fiery Temper
3 Hydrolash
4 Lightning Axe
4 Magmatic Insight
3 Molten Vortex
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
4 Tormenting Voice

//Creatures
4 Manic Scribe

Display deck statistics

This deck focuses mainly on using Sphinx's Tutelage as a win condition. As such, much of the deck is devoted to drawing cards to trigger it. Fevered Visions compliments Sphinx's Tutelage by giving you an extra draw each turn and forcing the opponent to take extra draws as well. It is also a secondary win condition, if the opponent is unable to empty their hand sufficiently. Manic Scribe is also included to mill additional cards, and with plenty of ways to discard, it is not too difficult to enable Delirium.

Support spells are mostly focused in three categories, removal, delay and draw. Removal and delay are both meant to stall aggro decks and draw gets you the necessary cards or triggers Sphinx's Tutelage to mill the opponent. The removal pieces are Lightning Axe, Fiery Temper and Molten Vortex. Fiery Temper and Molten Vortex can also pivot into our secondary win condition and be used on the opponent directly. For delay, we have Alchemist's Vial, which can stall large single threats and Hydrolash, which can neuter small threats. As an artifact, Alchemist's Vial also helps to enable Delirium. (Additionally, both draw cards.) However, Magmatic Insight and Tormenting Voice are the main tools for drawing.

As for strategy, you mostly want to focus on drawing as fast as possible, making sure to play Sphinx's Tutelage and Fevered Visions once they are available. Manic Scribe is also a good early play, provided you have a path to Delirium. If you don't, he still makes a good blocker for small threats. Removal should be used fairly sparingly. It's sometimes better to hold back a land as well, so that you have something to pitch to Magmatic Insight or Molten Vortex. Leaving one mana open if you have Alchemist's Vial out can also buy you a turn if you anticipate a large threat such as Ormendahl.

Overall, it has been a very interesting deck, which you can currently buy online for under 2 tickets. Enjoy!

• Locked thread