Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

mysterious loyall X posted:

/me puts on duster and casts summon greater demon. dylan and eric appear. it's time to murk

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I remember getting the soul that let your move really fast in Dawn of Souls and thinking how awesome it'd be when I had it for NG+. They took it with the other movement souls but let me keep my Iron Golem soul....

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

I remember getting the soul that let your move really fast in Dawn of Souls and thinking how awesome it'd be when I had it for NG+. They took it with the other movement souls but let me keep my Iron Golem soul....

You get to keep Rapidus Fio in NG+ in Order of Ecclesia. They take away Volaticus though.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Evil Eagle posted:

You get to keep Rapidus Fio in NG+ in Order of Ecclesia. They take away Volaticus though.

I reckon it's because they didn't want you sequence breaking, but isn't that half the fun of NG+?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
The Japanese version of Castlevania 3 is a lot easier than the American version.

So is the Japanese version of Castlevania 1, but that's just because the Famicom Disk System could write saves to the game disk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think i was playing the US version. I woke up thinking about it so clearly the game is sticking with me. What's the point of the wizard man. He got a fireball but I don't want to leave behind the badass whip

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Caithness posted:

The Japanese version of Castlevania 3 is a lot easier than the American version.

So is the Japanese version of Castlevania 1, but that's just because the Famicom Disk System could write saves to the game disk.

You take way more damage from everything in US Castlevania 1 as you get further. I dunno if the same applies to 3, but I'm playing the Famicom version of that for the better music.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I was really close to buying a second copy of OoE today so I could have more save files. Hell I might go back and do it because there's a good chance that the copy I've had for nearly 8 years is bootleg.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You take way more damage from everything in US Castlevania 1 as you get further. I dunno if the same applies to 3, but I'm playing the Famicom version of that for the better music.

Oh, cv1 had the damage scaling difference too? I didn't know that.

But in addition to that crosses/lightning spells are a lot more common in Japanese cv3.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

In Training posted:

I think i was playing the US version. I woke up thinking about it so clearly the game is sticking with me. What's the point of the wizard man. He got a fireball but I don't want to leave behind the badass whip

Spells do a lot of damage and the weird little bat weapon is good for swatting away projectiles / weak enemies bc its a lot faster than the whip.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i own and have beaten most of the castlemanias. except 4, the easiest one. every time i fire it up i just start audibly sighing at the screen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why the dislike for IV in here? It looks kinda rad. Never played it though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It bores me

Soral
May 30, 2009

asstlevania poor

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

It's fantastic.

It does take a bit before it starts throwing any sort of challenge at you, though. And people hate SNES jazz I guess?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

4 is among the top three CV games for me. Everything about it owns. Art style, music, gameplay. The control is perfect and it feels awesome as poo poo to have full control over the whip. I think the only flaw is that most of the subweapons are a little underpowered.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Sum Mors posted:

Curse of Darkness is a true sleeper classic. They could've used the mechanics from that to build into the series more. Castlevania + pokemon + weapon crafting + that steal system? :allears:

*cut to 2005 me slicing through red skeles on the first xbox one*

Dad: Wow they have the those guys from nintendo game but in 3-d
Me the wise, elder teen gamer: yeah its cool.
Dad: cool

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

beepstreet posted:

4 is among the top three CV games for me. Everything about it owns. Art style, music, gameplay. The control is perfect and it feels awesome as poo poo to have full control over the whip. I think the only flaw is that most of the subweapons are a little underpowered.

it looks like diarrhea donkey puke

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

It's kind of just a 16bit remake of the first one. At the time it was totally bad rear end, but it really didn't introduce anything new or exciting.

The music loving rules though.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

The Milkman posted:

it looks like diarrhea donkey puke

Lol okay

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My biggest complaint with Castlevania 4 is that there's just too much of it, and it takes a while for it to get challenging. It makes it come across as much slower game than even the NES titles.

It also suffers a little from being an SNES launch title, in that it shoehorns in screen rotation and mode 7 effects for no real reason except to show them off. I don't know how big a deal that really is, though.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

The Milkman posted:

i own and have beaten most of the castlemanias. except 4, the easiest one. every time i fire it up i just start audibly sighing at the screen

Its one of my favorites overall but the first three stages are the worst. Back in the day I almost traded in my cart because of how much I hated the cave/waterfall stage (3?)

Schwarzwald posted:

My biggest complaint with Castlevania 4 is that there's just too much of it, and it takes a while for it to get challenging.

Fair. I play it on emulatorand have a statestate at the start of the second loop. That's about where you want it to be.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

il ike it a lot, its slower than the first 3 but it's still a fuckin top notch platformer

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

greeting op. long time reader, first time poster here. if simons quest seems too bad maybe you could try the redacted version http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Hacks/SimonsRedaction.html it makes the game better but its still sort of assy in some ways

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think Simon's Quest is really cool but none of the bosses are good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If i played Castlevania 1 as a kid and then got really excited for 2 and rented it only to find out that it had a day night cycle and you had to grind currency to buy items I would have been pissed

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

If i played Castlevania 1 as a kid and then got really excited for 2 and rented it only to find out that it had a day night cycle and you had to grind currency to buy items I would have been pissed
MGSV :troll:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got to the Ghost Ship boss without dying and then lost all my lives on the boss. its so long, up to that point

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

In Training posted:

it was cool having this huge sprawling game of mystery to explore as long as you didn't care about trying to beat it

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

greeting op. long time reader, first time poster here. if simons quest seems too bad maybe you could try the redacted version http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Hacks/SimonsRedaction.html it makes the game better but its still sort of assy in some ways

I really liked this, because I found vanilla Simon's Quest unplayable then and now.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

trying to jack off posted:

This is the only way to play Simon's Quest these days if you don't plan on using a walkthrough. It's still grindy, the level design still sucks and the few bosses are still boring but the game has a weird interesting charm to it and it at least makes it a fair experience.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
bloodlines is up there with 3 and sotn as the best castlevania has to offer and imho? underrated as all heck
also it has a bunch of old songs done with genesis sound chip so you get that sick bass and twang with the classics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEPu2dH4mM

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Is bloodlines on virtual console?

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Agag posted:

Its one of my favorites overall but the first three stages are the worst. Back in the day I almost traded in my cart because of how much I hated the cave/waterfall stage (3?)

The dungeon is by far the worst level. So full of instant death mechanics.

Don't even understand how people can not like it after slogging through CV1. I mean, its an early NES game, but it honestly looks an controls like hot garbage comparatively. The most honest shots at CV4 go after the 8 directional whip making the game too easy. The game can be forgiven for being long because it has a password save system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CV1 wasn't too bad once I got used to it and I have been liking CV3 a lot, controls wise. The ability to swap characters made me realize how much care they put into balancing all the different encounters and what not, even though some of them are still annoying (specifically whenever you need to fight on stairs or something)

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

beepstreet posted:

it's easy and boring and you're too powerful

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Sum Mors posted:

The dungeon is by far the worst level. So full of instant death mechanics.

Don't even understand how people can not like it after slogging through CV1. I mean, its an early NES game, but it honestly looks an controls like hot garbage comparatively. The most honest shots at CV4 go after the 8 directional whip making the game too easy. The game can be forgiven for being long because it has a password save system.

jaysus christ

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

CV1 is my White Whale of gaming. By the time I get past Death I'm salty and start playing like poo poo so I have to stop.

I'm too drat stubborn to use savestates.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The level past death is really hard but you get a checkpoint once you reach Dracula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i think anyone would agree using a savestate to save your place and come back later is normal and not cheating like the op

• Locked thread