Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the lie is the funniest part, the bit about how everybody preordering these is all smug about it "yep put my grand down, it's not that much" like theyre some sort of deep pocket EV pioneer, some loving shadow investor or something. son the poo poo has been filtered down through the sieve of capitalism and you were only deemed marketable to when they convinced china to wipe away those last few environmental regs holding them back from dropping the 18650 price to ten cents a cell. this car is the opposite of a status symbol. it is a testament to one's mediocrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

and the fact that i will have almost no maintenance and probably no repairs (assuming no accidents) is worth the one stupid aesthetic feature.

lmbo

just wait until you see the repair cost on a vehicle with 0.4% market penetration

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you might be taking this car thing too seriously

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'd take a 35k purchase p seriously

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
my car was $3000

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

El Mero Mero posted:

lmbo

just wait until you see the repair cost on a vehicle with 0.4% market penetration

Work having 4 charging stations offsets my cost of ownership, besides that, Toyota sold like 450k camry's in the US alone, i thought the whole point of the Model 3 was final mass market adoption, which seems to be the case, they have to be up to 350k pre-orders already at least, by the end of the year that should be a much higher number. I admit i'm kinda banking on repair parts being cheaper with a huge influx of new Tesla owners.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

you might be taking this car thing too seriously

taking it seriously would be putting $1000 down on a plastic car that will be delivered by covered wagon in the hellnightmare that is america under Trump's second term

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
RICH AMERICANS: look lets just put a bunch of copper in the ground so i can have a space car and recharge it anywhere
ACTUAL REAL WORLD: you've never met a tweaker before, have you?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mister Fister posted:

Work having 4 charging stations offsets my cost of ownership

at $2.79/gallon and 12,000 miles per year and 30mpg you spend about $1000/yr on gas. in the best case with a tesla you'd spend about $250/yr on electricity going the same distance

$750/yr is not that much money in the grand scheme

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

RICH AMERICANS: look lets just put a bunch of copper in the ground so i can have a space car and recharge it anywhere
ACTUAL REAL WORLD: you've never met a tweaker before, have you?

lol

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Sagebrush posted:

at $2.79/gallon and 12,000 miles per year and 30mpg you spend about $1000/yr on gas. in the best case with a tesla you'd spend about $250/yr on electricity going the same distance

I plan on keeping the car at least 10 years, if not longer, so yeah sure. That, along with no oil/transmission fluid changes, air filters/belts/spark plugs/coolant, etc. just goes into the money i save for repairs associated with having a tesla model 3, which i hope is not much.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

"guys we need 4x as many batteries, build more factories"

*china builds a factory with 10x capacity, uses tesla's cash to drive cell prices down,competitors show up, tesla screwed*

its complex

tesla just has to buy the african nations that produce lithium that china has not already bought yet, and be willing to kill child soldiers or whatever to keep them, easy peasy.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mister Fister posted:

I plan on keeping the car at least 10 years, if not longer, so yeah sure. That, along with no oil/transmission fluid changes, air filters/belts/spark plugs/coolant, etc. just goes into the money i save for repairs associated with having a tesla model 3, which i hope is not much.

if you want to know teslas attitude toward reliability, look at the mode s door handles.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

unless we hit peak oil, the main driver of the total cost of ownership for any tesla will be depreciation, just like every other car. it remains to be seen if teslas will depreciate more or less than other cars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mister Fister posted:

*buys car from company that has 8-year warranties on their $40,000 battery packs* Gonna keep it ten, just you watch. Imma drive it _real careful like_

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

your tesla battery pack may last 10 years, but is it really still the same battery pack by then?

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

you seriously have to be loving kidding me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

true, you'll really save a ton of money not having to buy four $1.37 spark plugs every 80,000 miles

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Coolant $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
insert bmw joke here

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

true, you'll really save a ton of money not having to buy four $1.37 spark plugs every 80,000 miles

hey if you need plat plugs it might be $50 every 20k miles, or like $4/month.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mister Fister posted:

Eh, I can live with it, it's just an aesthetic annoyance.

*glances away from road at night to look at bright ipad speedometer, eyes take a moment to readapt to darkness, dies from a deer through the windshield*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

If I wanted a luxury car with good performance, I'd buy a BMW M6.

Model 3 advantage:
  • cheaper to run but probably offset by the fact the M6 costs less.
  • Makes you feel good that you're "helping" the environment by buying a brand-new electric car full of lithium-ion batteries.
  • Can go 0-60 in 4 seconds several times before you're stranded by the side of the road with no ability to go get a can of electricity.
  • "Jacking mode" because most Tesla owners' primary use of the car will be to look at it and jack it.

M6 advantage:
  • does not look like a turd
  • has the ability to travel more than 200 miles away from both home and the LA-SF corridor
  • shows off your good taste
  • feels comfortable inside
  • has gauges
  • a mechanic can fix it if it breaks
  • no ipad
  • no DRM
  • comparatively readily available parts
  • will hold its value better once the 3's battery pack wears out
  • can use air conditioning without losing the ability to get home

Jonny 290 posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Coolant $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

hey now you forgot to factor in that rotella t6 is dang expensive

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 12, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the economic argument for buying one is absurd.

also mega lols if you think it will really be anywhere near $35k. and you will never be able to find the base model, so enjoy paying the extra $4k for the glass roof and $3k for the fancy leather and whatever else super expensive package they can tack on there.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

If I wanted a luxury car with good performance, I'd buy a BMW M6.

Model 3 advantage:
  • cheaper to run but probably offset by the fact the M6 costs much less.
  • Makes you feel good that you're "helping" the environment by buying a brand-new electric car full of lithium-ion batteries.
  • Can go 0-60 in 4 seconds several times before you're stranded by the side of the road with no ability to go get a can of electricity.

M6 advantage:
  • does not look like a turd
  • has the ability to travel more than 200 miles away from both home and the LA-SF corridor
  • shows off your good taste
  • feels comfortable inside
  • has gauges
  • a mechanic can fix it if it breaks
  • no ipad
  • no DRM
  • comparatively readily available parts
  • will hold its value better once the 3's battery pack wears out

counterpoint grand coupes are for suckers.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

counterpoint grand coupes are for suckers.

take this back

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what would you rather have, a sedan? are you hauling around children? this is the tesla thread

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

teslas are for people who think they like cars but don't get what actually makes cars cool

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

triple sulk posted:

teslas are for people who think they like cars but don't get what actually makes cars cool

the same people who are "looking forward to self-driving cars being outlawed" so that they can "get to work faster and relax" and say that "you shouldn't be selfish, they'll still allow you to drive a car on a closed track"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
so tesla got $350 million for promising to let people buy their cars for $35,000 (with no guarantee on wait time)

that's almost something i would have expected uber to do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Totally a car guy. Mom bought me a fit out of college and I looooooved that, then all my buddies were getting them so I picked up an evo VII. Now i'm a grownup though and my taste has.....evolved

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

*glances away from road at night to look at bright ipad speedometer, eyes take a moment to readapt to darkness, dies from a deer through the windshield*

This. I can deal with a giant iPad controlling everything but who the hell thought it was a great idea to have the speedometer as part of the test of the interface that's in the middle of the screen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

triple sulk posted:

this is a very good way of putting it

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

the bmw i3 is about the same price and has buttons. it's only a little bit more, drop 4 figgies for some buttons and a second ipad on your dashboard

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fermun posted:

the bmw i3 is about the same price and has buttons. it's only a little bit more, drop 4 figgies for some buttons and a second ipad on your dashboard

I'm going to drop 4 something. 4 anvils on your computer keyboard!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fermun posted:

problem: the bmw i3 from the back looks like it's pooping out a different car

also those wheels are like wagon wheels. good luck finding a replacement tire anywhere except the bmw dealership

e: ahaha lol. they're 155/70R19s

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Ochowie posted:

This. I can deal with a giant iPad controlling everything but who the hell thought it was a great idea to have the speedometer as part of the test of the interface that's in the middle of the screen.

"blaring warning siren and alert on iPad" SENSOR FAILURE, AUTOPILOT DISABLED *startled driver looks over at screen, swerves car into oncoming traffic*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i like cars

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

you all are very angry about toy cars for bay area children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Awia posted:

you all are very angry about toy cars for bay area children

you seem angry about people angry about toy cars tho?

• Locked thread